Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Thumbs down Offended by term “SJW”

Is anyone else offended by the term “social justice warrior”? Like they’re just knights fighting for a false cause. It’s like calling a conservative a neo-nazi. Moreover, it invalidates centuries of arguments with a single word. It’s frustrating. And offensive. Anyone else bothered by the “sjw” label?

This is obvious bait but I expect 5 pages of discussion min.

It's just a buzzword to try to delegitimize arguments when they have no counter argument. That's all it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, the people that complain about SJWs are more fucking annoying than the SJWs they bitch about.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    At this point, the people that complain about SJWs are more fucking annoying than the SJWs they bitch about.
    As far as I can tell "SJWs" only exist in the minds of the people who complain about them. I've certainly never met any of these supposed "SJWs".

It's the ultimate strawman, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    As far as I can tell "SJWs" only exist in the minds of the people who complain about them. I've certainly never met any of these supposed "SJWs".

They exist. Almost exclusively relegated to Tumblr and Twitter. They're not really of any concern.

But that doesn't stop people from screeching about SJWs every time there's something involving women like Captain Marvel or the Batwoman TV show.

10+ Year Old Account

They exist, but like everything on the internet, a vocal few in front of cameras and on the front page of websites make it seem way worse than it is. Anecdotal evidence, I’m a straight white guy that acts like a normal straight white guy, and likes all the usual straight white guy stuff. I live in an Ivy League town in one of the most liberal areas of one of the more liberal states, and I’ve had exactly zero meaningful interactions good, or bad, with any so called SJWs of any stripe. I guess not being a fucking asshole is all it takes to dodge the SJW hate machine.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because i dont care

I take offense.

The people who are SJWs are not warriors.

If they were, they'd be wayyyyy thinner.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

i once met one IRL, they do exist but there extremely rare in reality, or at least they hide them selves a lot, the one i met coincidentally got his head beaten in out side the pub after picking a fight a few week's after he started going to the local and hasn't been seen since. #rule 1 of drinking keep politics to your self.

10+ Year Old Account
    SJW is my job title. Says it right there on the pay stub I get from the Clintons.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    i once met one IRL, they do exist but there extremely rare in reality, or at least they hide them selves a lot, the one i met coincidentally got his head beaten in out side the pub after picking a fight a few week's after he started going to the local and hasn't been seen since. #rule 1 of drinking keep politics to your self.
    They're very loud, which leads to everyone thinking their a bigger group than they are. Unfortunately a loud, small group can have a lot of influence when left unopposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    They're very loud, which leads to everyone thinking their a bigger group than they are. Unfortunately a loud, small group can have a lot of influence when left unopposed.
    well yea but we have always known that the extreme's of politics are a tiny minority, and these hyper politicized and those hyper involved in social issues are a tiny minority, 90% don't really give much of a fuck, they vote for who there parents voted for or vote for who offers them the best on paper, and they buy what they like and what they want weather it was organic and fair trade or GMO or made in a sweat shop 90% of people don't care, trans rights, gay rights, women rights, minority rights...if it docent involve the daily 9 to 5 and putting food on the table they don't give a crap, if you read the news you might think Brexit is the top topic in the UK but in my day to day off the internet i think i have heard maybe 1-2 convos on Brexit and they were shut down pretty quick, people talk about the weather, sports and there daily lives, the rest only matters for half a secound in the voting booth.

its the mistake a lot of corporations are making, the reason they keep failing to turn social justice into a revenue stream is because its purchasing power as a demographic is in reality very low.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Is anyone else offended by the term “social justice warrior”? Like they’re just knights fighting for a false cause. It’s like calling a conservative a neo-nazi. Moreover, it invalidates centuries of arguments with a single word. It’s frustrating. And offensive. Anyone else bothered by the “sjw” label?
    If you let it bother you, you are letting them win. Stop it. Wear it with a badge of honor if you must.

As for me, I can't stand mindless SJWs. They seem to cling to anything they hear on social media, defending it to death, without ever doing a bit of critical thinking or research.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    As for me, I can't stand mindless SJWs. They seem to cling to anything they hear on social media, defending it to death, without ever doing a bit of critical thinking or research.
    And yet, all of that is just as true for the "opposing" side. They love blowing up every single instance of "SJWs" as some giant force of crazy PC worshippers, who are both powerful enough to influence everything if they are not stopped, and yet stupid enough to be effortlessly mocked on the Internet and turned into cringe compilations. Nothing like building up few strawmans as incredibly dangerous opponents and then defeating them.

It is extremely offensive and should be banned like everything else with the potential of making someone uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    And yet, all of that is just as true for the "opposing" side. They love blowing up every single instance of "SJWs" as some giant force of crazy PC worshippers, who are both powerful enough to influence everything if they are not stopped, and yet stupid enough to be effortlessly mocked on the Internet and turned into cringe compilations. Nothing like building up few strawmans as incredibly dangerous opponents and then defeating them.
    That's true. Every word of it.
    “He who only speaks in quotes often forgets to think for himself." - Anais
    "In Texas, don't bring a paintball gun to a real gun fight." - Me

You obviously never lived on the West Coast or in Denver. They're alive and well my friend. Living in a shitty apartment with 5 roommates at 32 with a part time job while spending their free time planning "activist demonstrations". I see that stupid shit every damn day.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Think of all the children starving while you sit here whining about the term 'SJW'.

Doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me is the fact they somehow think it's an insult, but that's more a reflection on their own personality than anything.

It's mostly just one of those phrases that helpfully lets me know not to take them seriously.