Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I mean, they kinda said that character services will be available, but no tokens. In one of the summit QAs
    Yep. And there will be probably people that are so into the game that they will gladly pay a server transfer to do it. But the barrier to ninjaloot is still a lot higher, which means way less people will do it.
    I will not reply to posts that are non-constructive or contain flaming and/or trolling.

If there have been any changes to the gaming community over the last 14 years as it has moved further into the mainstream, it hasn't been a positive one.

That shouldn't change how you choose to behave online though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Saying "100%" doesn't actually make it 100% correct. lol. Also, i dont believe your story about someone xfering off a realm because of being named and shamed on the forums. Since that is strictly against the rules. Yet another example of the rose tinted glasses being SO strong, you forget even basic forum rules.
    Wasn't Vanilla, but I remember that happening at least once on Tortheldrin back in TBC days. I recall we even went to the forums of the server they went to in order to let them know about this person.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    So you call BS, then agree with me? Just because some players wont know who you are doesnt invalidate my point.

- - - Updated - - -

But thats the thing. Because you had to make your own groups, it was for your own self benefit to be nice or at least neutral towards other players. Ive made actual friends in wow during vanilla/tbc/wrath because of this. I have made zero friends since cata. Maybe its because i played on a lower population server but everything felt much more personal back then.
    That's because it was a much more personal task, but you didn't have to make it that and you had plenty of new chances with other people if you showed shitty behavior in a bunch of groups. The system simply made you initiate it, and by 'trial and error' you would run into some great people. Even if you didn't become friends you would randomly come across each other again and be able to recognize/remember the players. Same goes for meeting opposite faction players and forming a weird kind of bond with some of them, whether it was a rivalry or /emote friendship.

My server was medium-sized and felt like a small city. Plenty of people to never interact with or see, and plenty you would come across multiple times and interact with or simply recognize.

The biggest difference is you used to have to spam in general or trade "LF1M" rather than the game finding you an extra person.

The modern game is more convenient sure, but if you think that's the cause of toxic players, I have news for you. Also blacklisting didnt really happen in the main

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Wasn't Vanilla, but I remember that happening at least once on Tortheldrin back in TBC days. I recall we even went to the forums of the server they went to in order to let them know about this person.
    You know how i know you are not telling the truth? "at least once". You clearly DONT remember if you cant even tell me how many times it happened. Was it once? dont remember. Twice? dont remember. 7 times? dont remember. You know WHY you dont remember? it never happened. You know WHY it never happened? because people honestly dont care what you think, and what you have to say about another player.

You awkwardly glance over the fact that name and shame threads are against the rules, and removed immediately.

This didnt happen. Nevermind the fact you admit it wasnt actually vanilla at all when this "happened".

The community was definitely better in the past. Nowadays its too much about efficiency and min-maxing. Back in 2005 people just played the Game without all that stuff, obviously mostly because it wasn't available.

I played to 20 in the Beta and it definitely feels kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Villentretenmerth View Post
    The community was definitely better in the past. Nowadays its too much about efficiency and min-maxing. Back in 2005 people just played the Game without all that stuff, obviously mostly because it wasn't available.

I played to 20 in the Beta and it definitely feels kinda weird.
    Are we playing the same game? Min-maxing has been around since raiding began. And I remember dps/healing meters being THE thing since the moment they were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    Are we playing the same game? Min-maxing has been around since raiding began. And I remember dps/healing meters being THE thing since the moment they were available.
    Different periods.

Back then 99% had no clue about everything, unless they met someone that did "insane things".

Now, 99% has a clue because amount of info and how easy it is to access it, but they cant really use that info properly for multiple reasons, a small % thats equally terrible as the rest follows some sort of Meta, from the latest tournament and all the bads together have this mentality of "MIN/MAXING IS SO BAD, I WANNA PLAY AS I WANT" because that small % is trying to enforce things they dont understand or doesnt even affect them.

Prime example is raider.io and the terribles abusing it for pointless stuff like M+5.

There is nothing wrong with the addon but, Bad Player 1, declines Bad player 2 because "raider.io", then bad player 2, blames addon.

You know how i know you are not telling the truth? "at least once". You clearly DONT remember if you cant even tell me how many times it happened. Was it once? dont remember. Twice? dont remember. 7 times? dont remember. You know WHY you dont remember? it never happened. You know WHY it never happened? because people honestly dont care what you think, and what you have to say about another player.

You awkwardly glance over the fact that name and shame threads are against the rules, and removed immediately.

This didnt happen. Nevermind the fact you admit it wasnt actually vanilla at all when this "happened".
    Or I ain't sure if it happened beyond this one specific time I recall it happening. The forums were definitely a lot different back then with players running threads that kept track of which guild did what raid and who had what valuable recipes (I was a draenei hunter named Sammion on Tortheldrin and ran that thread for a bit after the previous person quit and became a bit of a joke because I would post a lot on the forums and hit level 70 sometime in July the year it came out) so is it really that weird to think about someone making a post saying "hey, this person left our server because they did [things], watch out." and it not getting removed immediately? or at all?

Or I ain't sure if it happened beyond this one specific time I recall it happening. The forums were definitely a lot different back then with players running threads that kept track of which guild did what raid and who had what valuable recipes (I was a draenei hunter named Sammion on Tortheldrin and ran that thread for a bit after the previous person quit and became a bit of a joke because I would post a lot on the forums and hit level 70 sometime in July the year it came out) so is it really that weird to think about someone making a post saying "hey, this person left our server because they did [things], watch out." and it not getting removed immediately? or at all?
    None of this happened. Stop making rubbish up. Nothing has changed, the forums had the same rules, and any name and shame threads were closed immediately.

The entire feeder guild and raider poaching thing was pretty toxic. People didn't just play with friends and if their friends weren't that good they just did normal modes. If you wanted to see higher tiers you had to be ruthless.

None of this happened. Stop making rubbish up. Nothing has changed, the forums had the same rules, and any name and shame threads were closed immediately.
    Whatever you say dood.

Whatever you say dood.
    He's right. Any thread I saw go up that was specific to a single player was deleted the same day. Or the same hour even. I'm surprised that several people are trying to peddle this shit. Maybe you're confusing some non-bnet forum or personal guild forums or something with the server forums but this never would have been possible in vanilla and it's not going to be possible now. The bnet forums are worse than gamefaqs when it comes to moderation for petty shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Community back then was less elitist. Sure, there were always elitists even back in the day, but I feel like everyone is an elitist now with the min-max mindset that's been going on for awhile now. When people started playing MMORPGs they were more humble all around.
    Yes, because people didn't know that ret paladins and boomkins and ele shamans were awful raid DPS.

We're not noobs anymore. It's not "elitist" to turn down specs that are objectively bad at PvE raiding. It's not "minmax" to avoid bringing ret paladins to your raid.

The thing is there's no "community" anymore. Cross Realm + Sharding resulted in destruction of server populations.
    The whole aspect of a "Closed World" is gone.

That's the draw for classic, we're getting a "Closed World" again.

On Day 1, you'll see a player name.
    At level 45 you'll see that same player name.
    On Day 50, you'll see that same player name.

People get to know each other and that's why Classic wow is great and Retail wow sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    The thing is there's no "community" anymore. Cross Realm + Sharding resulted in destruction of server populations.
    The whole aspect of a "Closed World" is gone.

That's the draw for classic, we're getting a "Closed World" again.

On Day 1, you'll see a player name.
    At level 45 you'll see that same player name.
    On Day 50, you'll see that same player name.

People get to know each other and that's why Classic wow is great and Retail wow sucks.
    I don't expect you to read through all of these posts but the consensus is that 99% of the player names you see in a closed realm, you'll never see or play with again. "Community" is an illusion created by people having to sit in Org trying to find groups for hours versus just joining a queue and having one set up for your automatically. The only social requirements in the game are guild and raid-specific and they are the same now as they were 14 years ago. If anything, people have expressed frustration in beta at having to compete with other players for questing, tagging mobs, etc. Not "Hey, cool other players--I'm not talking to any of them and they're actually kind of a pain in my ass right now but...right on, 'community'!"

I think once you get back into it and realize you're spending half of your time trying to find a group rather than actually playing, you'll realize how anti-social the game has always been. And how this perceived notion of a more social atmosphere in vanilla amounts to nothing more than anal joke spam and the silent five hours you would spend with other players in your BRD runs.

I don't expect you to read through all of these posts but the consensus is that 99% of the player names you see in a closed realm, you'll never see or play with again. "Community" is an illusion created by people having to sit in Org trying to find groups for hours versus just joining a queue and having one set up for your automatically. The only social requirements in the game are guild and raid-specific and they are the same now as they were 14 years ago. If anything, people have expressed frustration at having to compete with other players for questing, tagging mobs, etc.

I think once you get back into it and realize you're spending half of your time trying to find a group rather than actually playing, you'll realize how anti-social the game has always been. And how this perceived notion of a more social atmosphere in vanilla amounts to nothing more than anal joke spam and the silent five hours you would spend with other players in your BRD runs.
    That's completely false. Have you even played on a private server before?
    Everyone know everyone, it's a much different experience.

You also have cross faction smack talk / friendships being built on the realm specific forums.

Perfect example, every server will have a core set of players that literally just play the game to grief - those players will be known big time.

You must have not played on private servers and/or vanilla wow.

P.S. For your Dungeon runs, that's why you join a guild...

I don't expect you to read through all of these posts but the consensus is that 99% of the player names you see in a closed realm, you'll never see or play with again. "Community" is an illusion created by people having to sit in Org trying to find groups for hours versus just joining a queue and having one set up for your automatically. The only social requirements in the game are guild and raid-specific and they are the same now as they were 14 years ago. If anything, people have expressed frustration in beta at having to compete with other players for questing, tagging mobs, etc. Not "Hey, cool other players--I'm not talking to any of them and they're actually kind of a pain in my ass right now but...right on, 'community'!"

This patronizing attitude is so very, very tired. Because everyone excited to play classic is a little child worthy of condescension not someone who’s say been playing on a private server so they KNOW what to expect. Calm down with talking down to people who are excited about something you’re clearly not excited for. Jesus. Get over yourself. If you don’t remember seeing the same people on your server over and over again than I’m sorry you didn’t play Vanilla, don’t currently emulate vanilla or your memories are just bad. I played on one of the highest pop servers all throughout Vanilla and the entire time through MOP you had a COMMUNITY.

Basically because when you talk in general or trade people respond, nowdays I feel alone in this MMORPG.