How play-style changes when time is limited.

I've been researching the topic of play style and how time directly affects it in WoW. The data I've found suggests that PvE becomes the primary focus of players who are limited by time and that PvP is mostly ignored. I think this is an interesting find because of how PvP is one of the main focuses of the game.
    Do you think that this information makes sense?
    Do you think that this information could have any implications for guilds?
    Do you have any other feedback you would like to give me?

The thing that’s keeping me coming back is how much time PvE takes to keep up.

I’d argue that ever since we’ve gotten the AP grind it’s pretty hard for anyone at the world 1-400 level to keep up. Some guilds probably won’t have requirements but most do. In WoD and any expac before it usually took no time at all to be ready for raids and it didn’t require any upkeep once you were ready, now you have to keep up with your neck by grinding islands/WQs/doing an m+10/etc which doesn’t just go away once you start raiding, you still have to keep up because new requirements will be set.

I would assume people probably ignore pvp because they don’t like it. It’s an unbalanced mess right now with certain trinkets being absolutely bonkers and it doesn’t have the same environment pve does (imo). Getting 2200 probably feels great but killing hard raid bosses with your team of 20 is something you really can’t get in any other game from my experience.

7+ Year Old Account

Smile

I entered to mock about "timers" while noticing thread's title, but this is again about progress here...
    Itheni
    The thing that’s keeping me coming back is how much time PvE takes to keep up.
    I mean... Oh, for God's sake. Progress is tedious working hours (if) without getting decent gameplay and content with it. At the same time, “requirements”, which you're talking about, are trying to be driven only by receiving “challenge” (not by getting direct satisfaction from gameplay or by curiosity/interest to get inaccessible to you content, but simply by feeling sated in own superiority, that “I can do same also with hand tied on my back, and after that also being blindfolded"), but! neither progress nor content have any requirements for players at all for current game...

And therefore your requirements smoothly and accurately turn into @$$-hours of subscription time with all occurring consequences of this.

Simply put, these your specific "timed" requirements are only in players' heads, illusion, one more hidden layer of time-gate and devs measure everything by spent money.

There is no interest in recalling PvP here because that's requiring touch of classes design and immediate trend of current game design as a whole (either this is MMORPG and classes with talents are obeying certain rules, or this is session E-sport and design requirements are dictated solely by its parameters without considering classes and RPGs in principle), which will take significant amount of time for details and doesn't answer thread's question. Believe me, this isn't related to your discussion theme at all, at least - directly.

ps. Remembering timers... play-style really changes when time is limited, only it remains to answer the questions: Do similar game design address those same players, that they used to have? or Will it be unpleasant/disgusting for them? (it's, of course, about widespread use of exactly such mechanics, and not about episodic "RP-justified/encounters" situations)

MoanaLisa
    Limited time to play implies more solo play so PVE is a natural choice.
    I'd say that statement would be true only if obtaining progress and content mostly tied to it (since limited time =<priority>= profit activities), but since there is no specialization in characteristics (PvP vs PvE) and PvP doesn't usually take precedence in direct progress for such conditions (since encounters aren't limited by CD, they're controlled(/exploitable) by players and take lesser time), your statement is absolutely true. It's logical, because conclusion in this case is obvious and no any stupid PvP talents will be able to prevent this. I'd criticize word "solo" in same way, but I won't.

In other words: you're right because of circumstances, but not because you're storing absolute truth

ps. Ease, speed and size of available benefits, here are categories. PvE... solo... unnecessary private details
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2020-07-29 at 09:16 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

10+ Year Old Account
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Fayne99 View Post
    I've been researching the topic of play style and how time directly affects it in WoW. The data I've found suggests that PvE becomes the primary focus of players who are limited by time and that PvP is mostly ignored. I think this is an interesting find because of how PvP is one of the main focuses of the game.
    Do you think that this information makes sense?
    Do you think that this information could have any implications for guilds?
    Do you have any other feedback you would like to give me?
    The current structure of PvP is terrible and has been ever since Burning Crusade. Arenas should be removed from the game. This is an MMO and for PvP they offer tiny groups in small boxes fighting each other. I like PvP but have never gotten into arenas. It wouldn't shock me that people cut PvP when pressed for time because it sucks in WoW. I never hear anyone talk about PvP in chat in any group or channel I'm on and its not surprising because there is no PvP community at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You can solo it by queuing up for BGs. But why? I PvPed all the time in vanilla but we had a PvP community back then, with custom channels, regular teams on both sides at war with each other. We knew the nuances and strengths and weakness of each other. Tons of fantastic memories. There's none of that now. Its nameless, faceless randoms with no community, no talking, nothing. Why do that?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.