Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    GL with that.

if they try it people will just move to discord or to external sites like they did during MoP.

either way some sort of .io will exist in classic whether you like it or not.
    There's nothing wrong with using external sites to find groups?? People have been using IRC to group up since internet gaming was a thing.

And sorry, but we just aren't going to accept retailers bringing their shitty casual addons and QoL features into our proper, authentic social MMORPG, ruining it like the bastardised, Frankenstein trash that is retail WoW. The uproar against it will force Blizzard to act, mark my words.

And to the person who said "how do you know it's retailers that want these addons", easy answer: no one made it for Nostalrius private servers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stigz View Post
    none of you pussies would advocate for a forced addon-free classic wow
    Why would or should anyone advocate for a "forced addon-free classic wow"?

Addons were usable even when WoW was released in 2004/2005. They weren't as good as they are today but they existed. Why shouldn't they be usable now? Do you even know that "threatmeters" were a pretty important thing back then for raids? Did you know that heavily customized UIs were a thing back then as well? How about auctioneer (I know that either that tool or a similar one existed)? How about mail related addons? Do you think addons to track mining nodes on your map are bad?

Btw. feel free to play without addons. No one will force you to use them. Why would you feel the need to force others to play the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    No purpose for it, there is no competitive content in Classic.
    Unless people take it upon themselves to start speed running dungeons etc with a rigid formula, there wont be able reason to be overly selective about your group members like there is in BFA.
    Speed running will be the meta for classic, its been that way on private servers for years now.

Do people not realize that the problem with LFD was "cross realm" and "instant teleport" ? You can't replicate those with an addon

fuckin lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    Semantics. They definitely stated they would at least look into "breaking" any addon that tries to recreate retail functionality that was antithetical to the vanilla experience (LFG), in Classic
    What is supposed to be meant when someone says "semantics" is that two or more people are talking about the same thing, just using different words. Banning and breaking are not the same thing though, which is why I don't think anyone at Blizzard has ever talked about "banning" an addon. It wouldn't make sense because that conveys something that would not happen.

Words have meaning. A lot of people make the "semantics" argument because they are too lazy to account for accepted definitions and they just want to puke out randoms words and not be challenged.

R.io won't be necessary for Classic because there's no need for it

Why wouldn't this be a good thing? More information is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Why wouldn't this be a good thing? More information is always good.
    Well there is such a thing as too much information. There is information that helps you make decisions. And then there is a point at which if you get more information it will make the decision making process just more difficult and confusing.

For example if you want to buy ice cream it's good to know what kind of ice cream you get and hearing about the quality that it has. Knowing something about that eating to much of it affects your weight is also useful. Do you need to know where exactly the milk comes from, how the cow are fed and how much fuel was used to deliver the ingredients to the store? Some might consider this information interesting. However it doesn't provide anything of value to help with the decision of whether you will buy the ice cream or not.

5+ Year Old Account
    One of my favourite memories in vanilla was doing a scholo run with a hunter who had all his gear deleted by his brother. We didn't know until he arrived on foot and he told us his sob story. We carried him through, got him some gear including the ancient bone bow and he later joined our guild. He was a really good guy and we're still pals on Facebook to this day. Point of this lovely story is, these stupid mod that look at data destroy the community created by manually forming groups. The fact that you've spent 45mins forming a group and travelling down to the instance means that you almost have to give players a shot. The results are not always good, you'll get douche bags and you'll get immense levels of stupidity but thats life and thats all part of an MMO experience, something we don't have in this soulless version of the game that exists now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistl3r View Post
    One of my favourite memories in vanilla was doing a scholo run with a hunter who had all his gear deleted by his brother. We didn't know until he arrived on foot and he told us his sob story. We carried him through, got him some gear including the ancient bone bow and he later joined our guild. He was a really good guy and we're still pals on Facebook to this day. Point of this lovely story is, these stupid mod that look at data destroy the community created by manually forming groups. The fact that you've spent 45mins forming a group and travelling down to the instance means that you almost have to give players a shot. The results are not always good, you'll get douche bags and you'll get immense levels of stupidity but thats life and thats all part of an MMO experience, something we don't have in this soulless version of the game that exists now.
    ye do you know what this hunter will hear in august ?

"make your own group you shi.....er"

and best thing is - deep down you know im 100% right

whether people like it or not those addons will exist - either in form of in game tool or extrenal website - but it will be there and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

because guess what - all good players will use those "Tools" leaving those who dont use them in puddle of mediocre to bad players and bad experience in dungeons

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    ye do you know what this hunter will hear in august ?

"make your own group you shi.....er"

and best thing is - deep down you know im 100% right

whether people like it or not those addons will exist - either in form of in game tool or extrenal website - but it will be there and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

because guess what - all good players will use those "Tools" leaving those who dont use them in puddle of mediocre to bad players and bad experience in dungeons
    "All good players" So you're basically saying to be considered good, you use said mod or web site to form your group. Thats the same elitist bullshit that has turned retail to the souless loot train it is now. These people wont stay on classic long thankfully so my mediocre chums and I can enjoy classic the way it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post
    Well there is such a thing as too much information. There is information that helps you make decisions. And then there is a point at which if you get more information it will make the decision making process just more difficult and confusing.

For example if you want to buy ice cream it's good to know what kind of ice cream you get and hearing about the quality that it has. Knowing something about that eating to much of it affects your weight is also useful. Do you need to know where exactly the milk comes from, how the cow are fed and how much fuel was used to deliver the ingredients to the store? Some might consider this information interesting. However it doesn't provide anything of value to help with the decision of whether you will buy the ice cream or not.
    You can always choose to ignore needless information

10+ Year Old Account
    Raider io is a 3rd party app/addon that organizes information saved on the Armory, there will be no Armory for Classic so I doubt this will work. They would have to make invasive app that runs in the background to gather all the info needed to make it worth anyone's while, otherwise someone with basic LUA knowledge would just edit their addon so their score was better than it really is.

The LFG addons would need to communicate with each other, something Blizzard could easily block, the only addon I remember doing this (that far back) was Gatherer in later TBC/ early WotLK (you could share note info with people in your party/guild who also had Gatherer). Also you would need a lot of other people to use the addon to get a great enough pool for it to work and I don't see many die-hards doing this (myself included). LFG only works because you group with people from different servers, not an option in Classic. I remember when LFG came out (I wanted the Pug pet) you would still have to wait for a half hour to 2 hours in queue because people didn't know about it or didn't like it.

I don't see either of these being a thing in Classic as they are now.

Maybe something that will look at guild notes and tell you if someone is looking for a group using keywords and could probably also work for chat. The addon wouldn't need to communicate with others. You would have to manually make the group but it would help you find groups faster while doing things other than watching chat. I know of a few spam blockers that use keywords back in Vanilla to add people an ignore list that the addon had separate from the normal player ignore list. So something like that for LFG should be possible in Classic.

Who woulda thunk that people in 2019 wouldn't just forget about all of their 2019 tools just because they're playing a 2004 game.

People will use all kinds of shit that's gonna destroy any semblance to what classic was back in the day. People will use weakauras and threat namesplates to completely trivialize combat, they'll use quest addons to be done with that content as quickly as possible without reading any-fucking-thing whatsoever, they'll for sure use fucking gearscore and itemlevel, they will log and they'll use something like raider.io. And of course they'll use the 5 bajillion guides for everything.

Because people don't wanna spam LF tank for an hour and then get into a dungeon only for the tank to be a complete newb who doesn't know what he's doing - so of course they're gonna ask for their guys to have full T1 and Strat UD completed in 20 minutes on raider.io for their Sunken Temple runs. Anyone who thinks that this is not gonna happen sooner than later is beyond naive. Nostalgia is gonna wear off very quickly for the more engaged part of the community, and then it's all about efficiency, speed and minimizing risks by artificially excluding unworthy players again.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Why do people hate this term? "retailer"

I guess it can be used in a derogatory way...not sure if its used here...yeah probably is.
    But how should we adress a retail only player?
    It is not about the term. It is about the incredibly stupid mental model you and and a few others here seem to project that there is an "us vs them". The vast majority of people here have enjoyed WoW for a long time. The typical Classic player is also a retail player, and while tastes vary, most do not need a dumb black and white caricature but can appreciate the good parts as well as see the warts in both iterations of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Who woulda thunk that people in 2019 wouldn't just forget about all of their 2019 tools just because they're playing a 2004 game.

People will use all kinds of shit that's gonna destroy any semblance to what classic was back in the day. People will use weakauras and threat namesplates to completely trivialize combat, they'll use quest addons to be done with that content as quickly as possible without reading any-fucking-thing whatsoever, they'll for sure use fucking gearscore and itemlevel, they will log and they'll use something like raider.io. And of course they'll use the 5 bajillion guides for everything.

Because people don't wanna spam LF tank for an hour and then get into a dungeon only for the tank to be a complete newb who doesn't know what he's doing - so of course they're gonna ask for their guys to have full T1 and Strat UD completed in 20 minutes on raider.io for their Sunken Temple runs. Anyone who thinks that this is not gonna happen sooner than later is beyond naive. Nostalgia is gonna wear off very quickly for the more engaged part of the community, and then it's all about efficiency, speed and minimizing risks by artificially excluding unworthy players again.
    People like you need to take off their nostalgia glasses....

World of Warcraft back when it was released supported the use of addons. And it did so with an INSANE amount of freedom. Do you remember an addon called "Decurse"?

Decurse was installed by huge amount of healers in raids because it allowed the player by pressing just one button to remove debuffs from friendly targets. A boss like Lucifron that put curses on the whole raid that had to be dispelled became a lot easier with this kind of addon. If I remember correctly the interface back then even allowed for these type of addons to run commands automatically which is the reason why Blizzard had to go and implement the current LUA into classic just to ensure that stuff like automated decursing cannot be used anymore.

Also are you using Auctioneer in current WoW? Do you know when the first version of Auctioneer was released? Oct 23 2006 - during Vanilla

Here is something I found on Reddit. It is a list of Addons that was used by a guild back in Vanilla:

Mandatory addons:
    KTM 17.35 (Threatmeter)
    BigWigs (Bosstimers)
    Luna or Healcomm (Healing communication or Unit Frames)
    Ora2 (Raidleader tool)
    NaturEnemyCastbar (Enemy Castbars and timers)
    Lazypig (Dismounting, loot settings, invites)
    ItemRack or Outfitter (Item set swapper)

Suggested addons:
    DPSmate (Multifunctional dps meter)
    Trinketmenu (Trinket swap addon)
    Theorycraft (Spell values and stats)
    Buffalo (Buff frames)
    Modified Powerauras (Buff or Debuff tracker)
    OmniCC (Cooldown timers)
    Prat (Chat addon)
    ExpandAssist (Raid assister)
    Bananabar (Clickable marks)
    Eavesdrop (Combatlog)

Any other questions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stigz View Post
    none of you pussies would advocate for a forced addon-free classic wow
    Then it would not be Classic WoW because addons were there and at times far more powerful than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Then it would not be Classic WoW because addons were there and at times far more powerful than what we have now.
    Healbot, Decursive.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope Blizzard will make these add ons illegal and ban everyone who use them. Supposed Vanilla Lovers wouldn't fight for Vanilla just to immediately spoil the game with anti-Vanilla cancerous add ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    I really hope Blizzard will make these add ons illegal and ban everyone who use them. Supposed Vanilla Lovers wouldn't fight for Vanilla just to immediately spoil the game with anti-Vanilla cancerous add ons.
    Seeing how these addon's breaks no rules, That's not going to happen.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD