Everything was more prestigious in Vanilla:

- being max level was cool
    - having good gear was cool
    - being a raider was cool
    - finishing dead mines at level 16 was cool
    - having a maxed out profession with recipies was cool
    - being a good pvp’er was cool
    - having a mount was cool

Today nothing is cool. Everyone is the hero. Everyone has 10 max level characters. Everyone has 1000 mounts. Effort is not rewarded. Nothing is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpleton View Post
    Classic WoW will be a lesson in a good game vs a pile of dogshit
    this exactly. everybody who did not know that retail (compared to classic) is pile of dogshit will finally understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    I think it's some kind of FOMO, which in turn makes them very hateful as they don't know how to handle it.
    FOMO was my theory too:

Quote Originally Posted by WowClassic View Post
    Some people have suggested that retailers are worried that the inevitable success of Classic will somehow alter or change the way Blizz looks at live, but I don't believe that is the case because there is no way Blizz could realistically change course at this point. What the vitriol towards Classic represents is a kind of psychological salve against FOMO, if you can convince yourself that this game is trash and everyone who is looking forward to it is deluded then you don't have to confront the possibility that you are missing out on a good time.

It explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    What about the millions of people who never played Classic?

"It will be a lesson of Oldschool VS Current times" ?
    not really going to happen.

they will have teammates who "know" and tell them everything..
    and of course, now everything is minmaxed in extreme detail and everywhere on the internet.
    so... it wont be true vanilla experience.

except for the visual part.. which i call "from clowns to clones" XD

but the social aspect is a lot better than current wow.
    only in 2 hours of play i grouped up with ~20 different people who (SURPRISE) actually talked to each other! (IKR?! CRAZY)

even with the stupid "layering" that makes things dissapear in front of you mid-fight.

also the part where mobs spawn every 6 minutes and dont have shared-quest-items....
    so you're playing tag-wars for literally 20+ minutes just to get 8 wolf meats.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-05-23 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    He did earn 10k$ for his DM runs. At this rate, you would look thrilled playing minesweeper.
    You posted the same thing on reddit. Your argument is trash because he was making stacks before and yet was still on the verge of quitting from depression.

Stop being so cynical and take the Classic pill

I entered today the beta stress and played it, it's strange, you can have fun with a grp there, solo is just very boring, the human start location is unplayable, there are queues of people for killing a mob i'm not looking foreword for that.
    They really had a chance to make something special here, instead they caved in to the old and loud minority that wants the game to be exactly the same.

I do hope they at least in the whatever future let us use the new models, I mean go and make a human or whatever they look bad, very very bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Everything was more prestigious in Vanilla:

Today nothing is cool. Everyone is the hero. Everyone has 10 max level characters. Everyone has 1000 mounts. Effort is not rewarded. Nothing is cool.
    you're right about most things, yes.

but WoW almost never actually rewarded effort or skill.
    90% it rewarded your invested time. from vanilla till now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post

Best gear was raiding, you couldnt overcome raiding with time. Source: My guild that could never get more than 4 bosses deep into AQ40 after 3 raid days a week 8-10 hours a day for months who then had the genius idea to bump it to 4 days a week 8 hours a sesh to try Naxx somehow assuming wed do better there than a lower tier. The players just werent good enough myself probably included gear or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nodlimax View Post
    In terms of monetary success you need to consider something else as well:
    Classic => only monthly sub
    Modern => monthly sub, character transfers, name changes, race changes, mount and pet sales - whatever other "micro"transaction there is available...

So it will take a lot of subs playing mostly classic to affect any change on modern WoW. You need to consider the modern WoW at this point is literally just a milking machine trying to get as much money with transactions out of you as possible...
    no one is forcing you to get the store mounts, minipets, or transfers.

instead you should be more annoyed by the way blizzard dictates your time.
    which is much more valuable than 20$.

must-do minimum, and maximum-allowed, progressions per x amount of time.
    this is what vanilla lacked, and it was better.

more freedom to play as often and as much as you like and do what you like. without being punished.

Classic will follow the Apex Legends curve of popularity. It's just an objective fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isilarya View Post
    Best gear was raiding, you couldnt overcome raiding with time. Source: My guild that could never get more than 4 bosses deep into AQ40 after 3 raid days a week 8-10 hours a day for months who then had the genius idea to bump it to 4 days a week 8 hours a sesh to try Naxx somehow assuming wed do better there than a lower tier. The players just werent good enough myself probably included gear or not.
    you are too harsh on yourself.

all vanilla raiding needed was coordination.
    it was hard to achieve with 40 people.

not even vanilla zealots believe vanilla raiding was actually hard.
    and i agree, as a priest officer of a server-first Naxx guild.

sadly, not even PvP (where skill matters a lot more) rewarded skill, but still, time invested.

And yet, somehow OSRS is extremely popular. Why is that?

Im not sure where people got that vanilla wow was hard, it was never about that at all. When wow was released is was even marketed as a more casual friendly mmo that anyone can play and thats why it became as big as it did. But thats not even what the classic wow appeal is about, being hardcore. It's that it is an actual rpg community driven game unlike most mmos today.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulant View Post
    I always find posts like this to be funny. At what point do we start admitting that maybe, just maybe, people genuinely want to play a more barebones, throwback version of WoW without the frills and conveniences? Everything comes back to “people are chasing nostalgia” or “wait until people realize how bad and lacking it was” and it all ignores the plain fact that there is an audience(myself included) for what vanilla was. Will there be people who try it, hate it and move on? Sure. Will people realize maybe their memories were off? Sure. But if other servers and the general enthusiasm shows anything, it’s that there is a market and a player base for vanilla that just wants that type of game.
    <Starts Slow Clap> Well said, this is exactly how I feel.

no one is forcing you to get the store mounts, minipets, or transfers.
    Where did I say that Blizzard is forcing you to buy this stuff? I just said that modern WoW with its additional income is more profitable for Blizzard than Classic will be with just the monthly sub. And let's be completely objective for a moment.

Almost all of the actual unique mounts Blizzard has released over the last few years within WoW could only be purchased through the store and where not available through game play accomplishments...

True, nolifed beta for some time now. Memory said "this is going to suck big time" - played Hunter in Beta - buying arrows, no fun advanced mechanics in skills, feeding your pet, taming another pet and waiting to learn new skill of claw, no pet customization - you have to have fast attack speed pet, the fucking weapon skills when you change your bow to gun, stupid dead zone, stupid limitation of laying traps only out of combat. Super primitive boring quests. Or playing Warlock - dots don't crit, don't scale with haste (well untalented corruption scales a bit with haste rofl), the fucking soulshards taking up inventory and the need to farm them, intellect basically doing fuck all while leveling (meanwhile other classes get damage increase on their skills from str/agi, what the fuck is this retarded design choice?). I was sure this is going to suck donkey balls.

And yep, I've totally received a lesson in reality, you are right, my memory was wrong - this is single handedly THE best MMORPG I've played in the past 9 years and one of the best games overall in recent years.
    Last edited by ldev; 2019-05-23 at 01:48 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Just watch venruki`s video on youtube talking about wow classic.

Yes, of course it will be. Even Blizzard knows and has already acknowledged this.

Classic is a very expensive way of doing away with the negative press they were getting but the vast majority of players will not enjoy or play classic. It's simply not a very good game by todays standards.

Heck, I'd be surprised of most players make it passed the very first zone. It's that boring and slow.

Just to clarify, I include time invested when I say effort:

Time invested + Skill = Effort (roughly )

I do not agree that the current 2019 edition of WoW (BFA) reward you very much for the time you invest. The current rewards for time consuming content are not prestigious. Getting a new mount is not very cool because you already have 300 other mounts.

The reward system of Vanilla was much more proportionate.
    Last edited by Kaver; 2019-05-23 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yes, of course it will be. Even Blizzard knows and has already acknowledged this.

Classic is a very expensive way of doing away with the negative press they were getting but the vast majority of players will not enjoy or play classic. It's simply not a very good game by todays standards.

Heck, I'd be surprised of most players make it passed the very first zone. It's that boring and slow.
    Aww, butthurt little retailer is mad his LFR queue is going to increase by 30 minutes after the mass exodus to Classic.

Deal with it