Poll: Immortality but you have to go back 1 million years?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    I believe the outer limits said it best. :

There is an old proverb that says: 'Be careful what you wish for, for it might come true.' And if your wish is for immortality, it is something you'll have to live with...for a very long time.
    I used to love twilight zone and outer limits.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I don't want to be immortal. But I wouldn't mind living a longer period of time maybe another 100 or 200 years, and stay younger longer.

I'd say yes to immortality under every circumstance,so that one ain't that bad

10 years ago, I would have said yes without thinking twice. But my niece would miss me so the answer is no today. Ask me again in 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I used to love twilight zone and outer limits.
    Me too. I always found them insightful

Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    Would depend on largely what kind of immortality we are talking about... if your unable to die no matter what sure... if your still able to be killed and just have an infinate lifespan then most likely not without a lot of preparation.

If your still able to be killed not only do you have to insure you are consistently able to have access to food/water... but you have to make sure you aren't killed by the environment... which is a very hard task on your own (wild animals/natural disasters at the start... then later on once intelligent humans come into play not being killed by them as well). Overall to deal with all of that requires a large amount of consistent luck and planning to deal with (even more so if you have any plans at all to "live comfortably") and I'm not sure their are many who are smart enough to pull it off.
    This. Unless we're talking invulnerable immortality an infinite life span is risky.

Without it, you would pretty much be miserable until you died, probably relatively soon after you arriving back 1M years ago. 1M years ago, the average temperature was 41 degrees; you'd basically die of hypothermia day 1. Fall and break your leg? Enjoy never walking again unless you get lucky enough to set it yourself. Catch a cold? Better hope you can fight it off. It goes on and on.

Now, assuming we were invulnerable immortals, unable to feel pain, be injured, and able to escape any situation we'd potentially be trapped in (cave collapses can't trap you, falling into lava, you can get out, etc.) I'd do it in a heartbeat. The amount of history you'd be able to see and document would be amazing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Only if it is immortality through advance nano technology so I do not get "stuck"
    Eventually a power of erosion would set you free.

I would in a heartbeat. Imagine how much you'd be able to learn, even from an individual's perspective.

That's almost like asking "what if you got to live forever and also get something really amazing" like hell yes I would. Sure it wouldn't always be exciting or interesting but I'd literally get to watch the world form.

There's still some danger, though. Something like being buried alive would become a true purgatory if you couldn't die and couldn't escape.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    there's a funny thing about immortality, eventually you're going to get stuck. Laws of probability and all.

And you'll never die >.<
    I never actually considered this. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Go back a million years?, I pretty sure I would go insane from loneliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Go back a million years?, I pretty sure I would go insane from loneliness.
    This problem is stated consistently with immortality, but it was never something that seemed like it would effect me. I go weeks without talking to anyone and when I finally do it wasn't because I felt the need to, it just happened.

Go for longer periods of time without people bothering me seems like cake. Granted a million years is a stretch. But who knows how long you have to wait until humans come around, even in their infancy you could probably make it work somehow.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Eventually a power of erosion would set you free.
    lmao, well with nano tech I could go into my own virtual world until the time has passed and return to my life right after I left.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Which would mean he doesn't actually change anything at all. Everything in his timeline would remain exactly as it was.
    Except that he will be in another timeline where he shapes it, so he won't undo his immortality and time travel event. In this timeline he will go back and when time travel occurs branching timelines happen.

Only if it's the type of immortality that Ban in Seven Deadly Sins has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    there's a funny thing about immortality, eventually you're going to get stuck. Laws of probability and all.

And you'll never die >.<
    You just wait it out till someone digs you out building a new carpark
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

So what happens if there is a landslide and I get stuck underneath or a large animal swallows me whole? Am I completely invulnerable to any damage and I have an "unstuck" button I could press that teleports me to nearest spawn point? Also immortality means I would outlive the planet and our solar system with the supernova effect in 5 billion years. If I have had enough is there a suicide option?
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-05-23 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    So I can’t kill baby Hitler
    based on a lot of debates on the act, it would likely result in a much much worse world now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Except that he will be in another timeline where he shapes it, so he won't undo his immortality and time travel event. In this timeline he will go back and when time travel occurs branching timelines happen.
    Yes, I understand that. My point is that his actual timeline stays exactly the same. He still goes back in time...but he doesn't fix his own timeline. He creates a new one.

Also, nobody knows what would happen with Time Travel if it were a thing that actually existed. Multiple timelines is just one theory among many.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Yes, I understand that. My point is that his actual timeline stays exactly the same. He still goes back in time...but he doesn't fix his own timeline. He creates a new one.

Also, nobody knows what would happen with Time Travel if it were a thing that actually existed. Multiple timelines is just one theory among many.
    Either way, my main point was that paradoxes only occurs if the timeline is linear and singular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Only if it's the type of immortality that Ban in Seven Deadly Sins has.
    Found the weeb