Thread: Joe Biden- why?

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    Are you surprised that the leading candidates at this point have really high name recognition?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    You neo-libs sure love your creepy uncles.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Only 50 and above are supporting Biden over Bernie there. At least the young are doing the right thing.
    You do know the 50+ generation have the highest voter turn out rate? And how one feels about things at 20 can change a lot by the time they reach 50. Experience, maturity can do that.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You do know the 50+ generation have the highest voter turn out rate? And how one feels about things at 20 can change a lot by the time they reach 50. Experience, maturity can do that.
    Yeah, I imagine by the time we're in our 50's we'll be saying, "Fuck the younger generations, we got ours. They can deal with the problems we create down the road." too. I'm really looking forward to being able to adopt that attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, I imagine by the time we're in our 50's we'll be saying, "Fuck the younger generations, we got ours. They can deal with the problems we create down the road." too. I'm really looking forward to being able to adopt that attitude.
    Hehe. People do change as they age. It really is normal. You will see... And not all of those 50+ feel like you suggested.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Hehe. People do change as they age. It really is normal. You will see... And not all of those 50+ feel like you suggested.
    Given the people the vote in and the policies they usually seem to support, you coulda fooled me.

And they do change. But not necessarily for the better. My grandfather being a perfect example. He benefited immensely from his work for the government and his union membership, but later on in life was vigorously anti-union and not remotely a fan of government work. Why? Not because of his personal experiences with either, he would routinely speak fondly of both periods of his life.

He just only watched Fox News, who informed his "matured" opinions. And interestingly, he'd almost always give way and admit that unions aren't perfect, but were largely a force for good for workers and that he benefitted greatly as a result of his membership. Similarly, he'd always give way when it came to government employment when reminded of how much he enjoyed the work and how much of a positive impact it had in his life.

This is why I don't put much stock in the whole, "Oh you youngin's, you'll 'mature' over time!" nonsense. Because it's largely just rationalizing selfish, hypocritical views. The, "I got mine, fuck everyone else." mantra.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Given the people the vote in and the policies they usually seem to support, you coulda fooled me.

And they do change. But not necessarily for the better. My grandfather being a perfect example. He benefited immensely from his work for the government and his union membership, but later on in life was vigorously anti-union and not remotely a fan of government work. Why? Not because of his personal experiences with either, he would routinely speak fondly of both periods of his life.

He just only watched Fox News, who informed his "matured" opinions. And interestingly, he'd almost always give way and admit that unions aren't perfect, but were largely a force for good for workers and that he benefitted greatly as a result of his membership. Similarly, he'd always give way when it came to government employment when reminded of how much he enjoyed the work and how much of a positive impact it had in his life.

This is why I don't put much stock in the whole, "Oh you youngin's, you'll 'mature' over time!" nonsense. Because it's largely just rationalizing selfish, hypocritical views. The, "I got mine, fuck everyone else." mantra.
    There is a happy medium. I am over 50, but I strongly support better health care than we have now in this country. I am just not convinced it can be solved with Medicare for all. But what we have it not working well enough and all should be able to afford good health care. I do not think Obamacare was the answer, as it would punish people for not having insurance. And yeah, I know the reasoning behind it.

Unions can be bad and they can be good. I been on both sides down thru my working years. I certainly am against forced unions. Closed shops so to speak. I don't think we should have invaded Iraq, or should be in Afghanistan now. But I do support a strong military as a deterrent to aggression against us. The peace thru strength sort of thing.

I believe that gays and trans should have the same protections and benefits every citizen experiences under our Constitution. While at the same time, not personally supporting such. If that makes sense.

I think you may be surprised at some of the 50+ thoughts on some topics. And sometimes, we vote not for what we want, but for what we do not want when it is the only realistic choices we have.

Here's another black mark on his record, as detailed by the commie rag....wait...hold on...no...it's from Politico: How Joe Biden’s Drug Policies Supercharged the Opioid Crisis

The upshot? Due to a number of bills that Biden has written and/or championed as the Democratic Party's tough face of the War on Drugs, the Opioid Crisis is more deadly than it otherwise might have been. Thanks in part to Biden, not only are Overdose Prevention Centers illegal federally, but people are less likely to call 911 when people close to them overdose for fear that they may also be prosecuted.

General Thread Update: Biden has entered the race, and is the leader in basically every poll. But my question still stands- why? Other than name recognition, and a usually unelaborated insistence in the media-sphere that he's "electable." What exactly is the positive case for Biden above other candidates?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Here's another black mark on his record, as detailed by the commie rag....wait...hold on...no...it's from Politico: How Joe Biden’s Drug Policies Supercharged the Opioid Crisis

The upshot? Due to a number of bills that Biden has written and/or championed as the Democratic Party's tough face of the War on Drugs, the Opioid Crisis is more deadly than it otherwise might have been. Thanks in part to Biden, not only are Overdose Prevention Centers illegal federally, but people are less likely to call 911 when people close to them overdose for fear that they may also be prosecuted.

General Thread Update: Biden has entered the race, and is the leader in basically every poll. But my question still stands- why? Other than name recognition, and a usually unelaborated insistence in the media-sphere that he's "electable." What exactly is the positive case for Biden above other candidates?
    Unless you think we can magically snap our fingers and go back to pre 2016 governing AND think that such a move would even be smart in the first place.... there is no positive case for Biden over other candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Unless you think we can magically snap our fingers and go back to pre 2016 governing AND think that such a move would even be smart in the first place.... there is no positive case for Biden over other candidates.
    I feel like a lot of Democrats (and also the donor class, except for the tax cuts) really do just want to forget that the last three years happened, and while I get the desire to have a “back to normal” politics, it unfortunately does nothing to address the circumstances that led to Trump in the first place.
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a huge fan of him or his voting record. Would prefer a younger candidate.

I don't get some people. If Clinton was an establishment career politician as a 2 term Senator and took flak for it then what is Biden?

I would have only wanted him in 2016 as a Obama proxy, and didn't even want that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    As we all know dems are a hive mind and wills its candidates into existence, rather than you know having genuine popularity and beating other candidates.
    "Everyone just all thinks the same about one candidate rather than that candidate having any "real" popularity."

And Trump is just liked by a racist religious group of nutjobs and Bernie is part of a cult following of deluded nitwits who can't admit that he lost fair and square.

See, we can all make statements about how the a person has no real popularity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    This is a solid take, and good advice. Which is why the Dems will utterly mess it up.

What's your take on who comes after Trump for the GOP? Someone even more extreme?
    I do like how Hillary got 10 years of mud slinging from the right wing, causing most people, even the far left, to believe she was utterly totally and wholly corrupt and a bad person, she ran a good election game, won the popular vote by 3 million, just barely lost the EC by a few thousand votes in some key swing states, and it's become the norm for everyone to claim that the dems "totally screwed up".

People need to get over their deluded ideas. Donald Trump tapped into a portion of the voting block that hadn't been courted in years. Many of them still voted R just because there was nothing better, but the fascist nationalist racists had been underground for awhile.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    it's become the norm for everyone to claim that the dems "totally screwed up".
    If losing to someone as awful and obviously unqualified as Trump doesn't qualify as "totally screwed up" then what exactly does? Losing by a sliver of a margin in three states to Jeb Bush or John Kasich would've been one thing...but it was Donald Trump.

"Hillary almost won" also isn't any sort of defense of Biden's viability as a candidate.
    -Louis Brandeis

He's popular with the old, conservative, establishment Democrats, because he's an old, conservative, establishment Democrat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    He's popular with the old, conservative, establishment Democrats, because he's an old, conservative, establishment Democrat.
    Or the sort of person who thinks the only important part is beating Trump. Why'd they get behind Biden? Who the hell knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Or the sort of person who thinks the only important part is beating Trump. Why'd they get behind Biden? Who the hell knows.
    Because the media insists that he’s “electable”
    -Louis Brandeis

Why'd they get behind Biden? Who the hell knows.
    To own both the leftists and cons.

Because he's palatable. Believe it or not, most people not dedicated to one side or the other actually like them some Joe Biden. He's normal. People like normal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Because the media insists that he’s “electable”
    I think he is. Republicans would do well to fear him. A far left (for America) candidate? Much less to be afraid of.

I mean, if they choice comes down to Biden or Trump I'd vote Biden. But that's not what the choice is currently, so Biden can go fuck off and let someone who's actually left wing run.