Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    I have to disagree. Trolls seem to fit the african tribal culture
    The Zandalari seem to have a more African seeming accent and their architecture is mesoamerican, but the darkspear are more like carribean Islanders in accent and their structures Polynesian.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Very much a mix of both. Their aesthetic are mesoamerican, but are racially coded African/Caribbean Isles. Kinda like how NEs are a mesh of multiple east asian cultures.
    I might be kind of ignorant on the topic of African tribes.
    Do they also practice Voodoo and have Bokor?
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Very much a mix of both. Their aesthetic are mesoamerican, but are racially coded African/Caribbean Isles. Kinda like how NEs are a mesh of multiple east asian cultures.
    hmm,I thought it was celtic druidism but then again you right because they architecture is mostly asian inspired.

- - - Updated - - -

When you think of it orcs kinda got everything it, burning blade clan got a asian style with blademasters like Samuro, shattered hand is like roman gladiators,bleeding hollow and laughing skull are like mix of some kind of african and pacific style tribalism, bonechewer are just some kind cannibals. Frostwolves feel like native american mixed with viking like stuff....I don't know its hard to pin it all down to one thing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    I think WoW Orcs are more based on African tribal culture specially with the pre cata structure.
    They seem more of a mix of mongal /Viking

I think WoW Orcs are more based on African tribal culture specially with the pre cata structure.
    Orcs were originally based on Central Asian raiding cultures like the Huns and Mongols, with a little bit of Norse influence. WoD really emphasized the cultural differences of the orcish clans though.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I don't know specifically which African tribes practice, since from the best of my knowledge Voodoo and Bokor is a belief system that is a blend of faiths between what Africans brought with them and what they were introduced to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    hmm,I thought it was celtic druidism but then again you right because they architecture is mostly asian inspired.

- - - Updated - - -

When you think of it orcs kinda got everything it, burning blade clan got a asian style with blademasters like Samuro, shattered hand is like roman gladiators,bleeding hollow and laughing skull are like mix of some kind of african and pacific style tribalism, bonechewer are just some kind cannibals. Frostwolves feel like native american mixed with viking like stuff....I don't know its hard to pin it all down to one thing.
    Yup, tbh some asian culture is sprinkled a bit everywhere. For the NEs they have kimchi, lunar festival, etc. I would guess they aren't as racially coded as trolls or tauren, but certainly are in their customs/food.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Just jumped in to say trolls are a mostly west African with a mix of Mesoamerican and Icelandic (troll descriptions and parts of the lore) culture.
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

Warcraft Orcs = Originally based on Warhammer fantasy Orcs, changed later to Tribal origins With Mongolian shenanigans mixed with Japanese Bushido.
    Warhammer Fantasy orcs: Tolkienish and early D&Dish origins, mixed with the Football Hooligan culture and Cockney English.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    I always felt Warcraft orcs are what you get when you throw Hun/Khazar/Tartar, West African, and Eastern ideals of honor into a blender.
    Blend until colour is uniform, form into balls. Then simmer for 10 minutes.

Either way, that may be true for Tolkien's orcs. We're not dealing with Tolkien's orcs in WarCraft, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Their architecture and culture, probably. The inspiration for them on the other hand is probably as OP said
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewshine View Post
    They seem more of a mix of mongal /Viking
    I think the way they were portrayed at wc3 they were more close to African tribal and Mongolian but in WoD and mostly frostwolf clan, yes they feel more alike to Vikings.

trolls are strongly based on Aztec culture with their buildings ( ZA and ZG ) and their sacrificial culture the way Incas used them. they even have a El dorado!

5+ Year Old Account
    Orcs are originally Mongolians. And Horde was based on Golden Horde which was the Mongolian Empire.

btw Warcraft Orcs are the best Orcs, much better than mindless Tolkien Orcs and warhammer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic Merry View Post
    Orcs are originally Mongolians. And Horde was based on Golden Horde which was the Mongolian Empire.

btw Warcraft Orcs are the best Orcs, much better than mindless Tolkien Orcs and warhammer ones.
    Best Orcs are da BEST ORKS!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg9eR66uLOg

or the best orcs lead by the best Honor god, though he claims that people takes the history from his origins too literally.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dGNMxybVuI
    Last edited by PelinalWhitestrake; 2019-05-23 at 11:14 PM.

Both trolls and orcs have a lot of different inspirations, including african cultures, but also mesoamerican and polynesian (for trolls), mongol and even a little bit of celtic and japanese ones (for orcs). I think neither race has any african culture as its "main source."

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Source/Citation or didn't happen.
    Google brought up this post lol.

Also this: http://www.sallyemerson.com/travel/2...-another-world

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Google brought up this post lol.

Also this: http://www.sallyemerson.com/travel/2...-another-world
    That Tolkien based the shire on a village in the area? Nothing there talks about berserkers or anything.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Thank you for your wikipedia info. If you find anything else interesting maybe write it in a blog somewhere.
    Rude. lol!
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

7+ Year Old Account
    Orcs were invented by Tolkien and he based them off the boar type of berserker warrior from the island of Orkney
    this is why orcs have tusks like boars
    The humanoid, non-maritime race of orcs that exists in Middle-earth is the invention of J. R. R. Tolkien, albeit one which he stated in a letter was influenced by George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin. The word is usually capitalised in Tolkien's writing, but not necessarily in other works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Derpules View Post
    Rude. lol!
    i mean it literally is just a copy/paste exerpt from wikipedia... ok?

- - - Updated - - -

they are based off the warhammer orcs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Here I thought they were created by the poor copyright laws that didn't allow Games Workshop to sue Blizzard for publishing a Warhammer licensed game that failed to get the license.
    orcs in wow were, you are 100% right.
    but yeah the original orc was not invented by blizz, not even close.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    Who writes more, Tolkien describing a structure or R.R. Martin describing a feast?
    or JK rowling describing the details of her charecters we do not need to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I always felt like orcs had characteristics from Turkish history. For Tolkien, Osgiliath = Constantinople (captured/destroyed), Minas Tirith = Vienna (resisted), you could also say that the good guys working together reflects Europe in those ages. Similarly for Warcraft, Stormwind sacked under strong leadership and Lordaeron resisted because of conflicts within the Horde. In both cases the invaders are visually distinct, barbaric in culture, considered evil... and coming from *surprise* the east. Both cases have ties with wolves, which is still an icon in modern Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    African influence manifests in BfA Zandalari because Blizzard wanted to ripoff Black Panther for progressive points.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantypops View Post
    I always felt like orcs had characteristics from Turkish history. For Tolkien, Osgiliath = Constantinople (captured/destroyed), Minas Tirith = Vienna (resisted), you could also say that the good guys working together reflects Europe in those ages. Similarly for Warcraft, Stormwind sacked under strong leadership and Lordaeron resisted because of conflicts within the Horde. In both cases the invaders are visually distinct, barbaric in culture, considered evil... and coming from *surprise* the east. Both cases have ties with wolves, which is still an icon in modern Turkey.
    What turkish characteristics would that be? The analogy with Osgiliath and Minas Tirith makes no sense at all.

Tolkien's Orcs are not based on any specific culture, they are mythological creatures that represent (like the Elves they come from, who resemble humanity at it's best) aspects of human society. Orcs are Humans at it lowest, without culture or any sense of community, driven not even by animalistic instincts, but hatred for themselves and even more hatred for everything that is harmonic and beautiful, since they are not able to create or enjoy anything nice themselves. They are miserable and because of that they want everything else to suffer as well. Anything that doesn't bring them satisfaction, they want to destroy and so they destroy everything.
    Last edited by George Lucas; 2019-05-24 at 09:27 AM.