Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nothing should be done to soothe their fears. It's about time a generation started giving a shit.

They are THE generation that will have to deal with an issue shoved on them by their parents, so they have every right to be pissed off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    The atmosphere is the least of our worries now. The ocean life is in extreme danger, the whole ecosystem would collapse if the ocean dies.
    That would suck for sea food lovers. But most land crops don't require ocean life. Also we would probably find that the scrappiest 5% of ocean dwellers would inherent the seas.
    I'm sure they'll be some verman-like animals that manage to live anywhere and are ugly as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Get a grip. Over the last two decades my generation has done a lot for the climate. Not Enuff for sure, but we have done our best to try and reverse what the baby boomers have done. Millennials need to shut up and actually get to work. But of course it'll be left to gen z to finally complete what we started. I have hope for them. They seem pragmatic, industrious, and they will save us all.
    I'm sorry but your generation could have done a LOT more. All that has happened is mainly just lots of procrastination and a last second "Oh Shit!" whenever your generation realized that the deadline is getting REALLY fucking close.

I think it's actually rather disturbing that people that have seen how the climate in some regions has changed aren't freaking out, yet kids that don't know how it was in the past do. Some of my neighbors closer to the river have their cellars flooded every other year now, their parents had it happen once every 20 years after they lowered the riverbed around here like 60 years ago. We have longer rain periods and longer heat waves. Some winters we have little to no snow, some others we are forced to shovel snow off the roofs because the load is getting excessive, something we never had to do before in the previous 3 generations.

People will continue to breed and need jobs, aka fucking the planet.

Yeah they should be worried. Can we change it? Not without some next level nature breaking tech

because the wheel will keep rolling.

"wE NeEd jObS!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    It's not fad....nature changing and mass environmental destruction is not a fad, nature find a way to recover but we won't be alive to see it.
    We wont be alive to see it... because we will all have been dead for 200k years..

Yawn

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    People will continue to breed and need jobs, aka fucking the planet.

Yeah they should be worried. Can we change it? Not without some next level nature breaking tech

because the wheel will keep rolling.

"wE NeEd jObS!"
    Nature breaking tech? Sounds like it would do more harm than good.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    We wont be alive to see it... because we will all have been dead for 200k years..

Yawn

- - - Updated - - -

Nature breaking tech? Sounds like it would do more harm than good.
    If they can reverse engineer CO levels in the air then not all hope is lost.

If they can reverse engineer CO levels in the air then not all hope is lost.
    I hear plants like Co2

Methane is more of an issue

Both are nowhere near prehistoric levels.. They likely wont be for millions of years
    Last edited by HavokHeart; 2019-05-25 at 07:43 AM.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

I hear plants like Co2

Methane is more of an issue

Both are nowhere near prehistoric levels.. They likely wont be for millions of years
    I live in the Oceanic. We have constantly broken the heat records each year for 4 years now

Hell is already on our doorstep for certain parts of the world

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    Being a kid is supposed to be FUN.. no worries ..no cares

I don't know what the teachers are teaching them , but a lot of them now appear to have anxiety problems due to the "Bogeyman" called Climate Change.

Children, who should be at school are starting to skip school & protest about Climate Change.

Its seems now Children will not be able to enjoy their youth, without being anxious about Climate Change.

This may cause mental health issues further down track.. maybe even cause a new Terrorism to come about.. "Environmental Terrorists".
    When children become grown ups.. to bomb polluters .. bomb farms with cows.. bomb power stations. They will be radicalised.

What should be done to sooth Children's fears about Climate Change?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-walk-protest/

As they began to make their way through the streets of cities across the country on Friday morning, singing songs and holding hands, the school children and their long-suffering parents protesting against climate change resembled a rather long walking bus.

In Westminster, the day had begun innocently. An eight-year-old boy carried a sign saying: “Be cool, be green, not a dinosaur.” When asked what he thought the world would be like when he was older he replied earnestly: “Burning.”

Inspired by the by the Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg, who protests every Friday outside Sweden's parliament to urge leaders to tackle climate change, British teenagers filled the streets outside the Houses of Parliament with hand painted placards reading “there is no Planet B”.

The collapse of civilisations is a vital exceptional circumstance."

In Belfast, a small but passionate crowd of young people gathered outside City Hall.

Maia Willis Reddick, a 17-year-old student at Belfast's Methodist College, said her school had been supportive of her joining the protest.
    She said: "Us leaving school means we show we value the climate the same as we value our education.

"We are still very conscious about school. I have A-levels, I have stuff to do, we just want to make the point that we are willing to take drastic action in order to highlight the problems of climate change."

First of all, it's spelled "too".
    And to answer your call to debate:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ow-bill-moyers
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I live in the Oceanic. We have constantly broken the heat records each year for 4 years now

Hell is already on our doorstep for certain parts of the world
    I've collected marine fossils 300 miles inland that are around 200k years old. The world changes. The facade of human control is a false anthropocentric view.

The earth has been MUCH hotter in the past and much colder while having WAY higher Co2 levels. The climate will change and we can not stop it from changing.

I've collected marine fossils 300 miles inland that are around 200k years old. The world changes. The facade of human control is a false anthropocentric view.

The earth has been MUCH hotter in the past and much colder while having WAY higher Co2 levels. The climate will change and we can not stop it from changing.
    As a fan of science im surprised you undersell the role humanity has had in its short time frame.

Name another species that has extinct as many species as homo sapiens has.

depends what you call "children" boomers call people like me mid 20s children, and yes, i see the reports and evidence and it seems like it is an existential threat to humanity that is being ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Uhm, I personally see being helpless and largely out of options and control as the #1 prime reason to freak out. Because if you DO have control, you could actually help yourself by performing the required actions. Which kids can't on the required scale in these matters.

It isn't 8 year olds that make up the bulk of the lot, and it's certainly not the opinion shaping heads either. More like 14-16, where people actually are able to inform themselves and make decisions based on that, and it kinda says a thing or two that practically the entire scientific community declared support for the movement. Like those people that actually research the infos to base decision on.

- - - Updated - - -

Accelerate is a bit of a mild way to put it. Historically, climate changes gradually over hundreds of thousands of years. We "accelreated" things to about 50. If you get a difference of 4 orders of magnitude that is no longer acceleration. This is causation.

A not so unimportant aspect of this difference is that in the first case, nature has a chance to adapt through evolution. That process hasn't adopted the same "acceleration" we put to climate change though, and it'll thus outpace evolution with ease. You'll end up with a planet whose entire flora and fauna is completely out of sync with the conditions the planet presents. You'll never guess what happens next!
    Only partially true. Climate has been changing through low and high curves, where some have taken only a thousand years, or even a few hundred. The difference is how long it lasts before it reverts the change in the opposite direction. Climate has never been a steady, flat line, it's more like an electrocardiogram.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    We were created by the biblical God.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    There's as much evidence for Santa as for darwinian evolution.
    The irony

As a fan of science im surprised you undersell the role humanity has had in its short time frame.

Name another species that has extinct as many species as homo sapiens has.
    Methanosarcina "Methanosarcina may have been largely responsible for the largest extinction event in the Earth's history, the Permian–Triassic extinction event."

Afraid a single celled organism has us beat by a longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    That would suck for sea food lovers.
    "It is estimated that marine plants produce between 70 and 80 percent of the oxygen in the atmosphere. Nearly all marine plants are single celled, photosynthetic algae."

Inbe4 "Oh so we can cut down the rainforests then". Also I've no idea how true the above statement is. Just googled "how much atmospheric oxygen is made by oceanic algae" and that came up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Methanosarcina "Methanosarcina may have been largely responsible for the largest extinction event in the Earth's history, the Permian–Triassic extinction event."

Afraid a single celled organism has us beat by a longshot.
    Well, well played, but I still vouch humanity has done leaps and bounds more damage than any species prior by sheer predatory excellence through intelligence, spreading of information and use of tools. and then total land mass occupation where major cities make life incredibly hard except for scavenger breeds like rats and breeds of birds.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd have to be willfully ignorant at this point to believe man made climate change is fiction. Unfortunately there's a lot of people like that and this thread is doing a good job of proving that. At least be honest and just say you don't care, but don't try to push the narrative that an overwhelming scientific consensus is wrong because some youtuber told you so.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    I never understood the hatred for people who want the overall planet to be better and more sustainable. Come out west and see how beautiful the areas are and embrace the outdoor life for a bit and get why it is so important to protect it. Just looking at pictures of flying into New York or L.A with the smog and disgusting taste that was not to long ago ( the 1970s ). Even if they find that the effects wont be felt for 3-4 generations down the road why not make it as less impactful for them while we can?
    Think it has to do with that there are plenty of environmentalists that are just all talk, some of them are in politics. Environment activists were the ones that were against and managed to reduce the amount of nuclear power we have, made us more dependant on coal energy for a long time. Plenty of their actions in poltitics is just "hey look at me I'm doing good" while they do nothing to fix it, they just think they do. Like increasing taxes for everyone when it comes to gasoline, for trying to impose airline tax for everyone. These are non-solutions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    That would suck for sea food lovers. But most land crops don't require ocean life. Also we would probably find that the scrappiest 5% of ocean dwellers would inherent the seas.
    I'm sure they'll be some verman-like animals that manage to live anywhere and are ugly as hell.
    If ocean life dies the ocean dies. If the ocean dies, we all die. Why you might ask? Well the ocean contribute between 50-85% of the oxygen in earth's atmosphere and I don't know about you, but I like breathing.