Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account

Vanilla WoW - what was the worst change for you?

As the title says, which change in Vanilla WoW, and subsequential therefore in Classic, was your personal worst change? For me, as I played a hunter back then, was the streamlining of pet damage. I had Broken Tooth (attack speed 1.0) and Lupos (shadow damage) as pets and played a beastmaster. Needless to say, those pets rocked before the streamlining.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Cross-realm battlegrounds. I understand why they were necessary, but I thought battlegrounds were more fun before that happened. I liked seeing names I recognized on both sides, especially if there were people from a rival guild on the Horde team.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-05-20 at 09:48 PM.

The continued nerfing of AV
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that was bad. I can remember battles there were I would log out late at night and the battle went on. Next morning, I logged back in and the battle was still going. Those battles were epic.

Hard to say, it‘s mostly a collection of alot of little things.

But one i really hate:
    Taking away alot of spells and restricting alot of them to a single specc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Cross-realm battlegrounds. I understand why they were necessary, but I thought battlegrounds were more fun before that happened. I liked seeing names I recognized on both sides, especially if there were people from a rival guild on the Horde team.
    So much this.
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    This change. It was a double edge sword though, the queue times were astronomical on the server I played on, 3+ hours, so the cross realm bgs allowed for much quicker entry, but it completely detached you from the opposing faction. Before the change you knew everyone you played against, it was much harder to get into comms with each other but we managed it a few times, but what i mean was you knew everyone’s name. It was a lot like the beta server now, where all the streamers know their opponents, it made it a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozuka View Post
    Removal of player choice & freedom to mess around and experiment, but the above point is probably the biggest in this category.

15+ Year Old Account
    removing pvp titles to achieve.
    I was in school that times, my internet was on traffic, I made a sergeant but wanted to be atleast a Champion, but... I had no money for internet traffic
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Quote Originally Posted by salate View Post
    removing pvp titles to achieve.
    I was in school that times, my internet was on traffic, I made a sergeant but wanted to be atleast a Champion, but... I had no money for internet traffic
    Wasn't removing the ranking then a good thing for you?
    In TBC it allowed everyone to gather PVP equip no matter how much time you had available. If you had less time it just took you longer to get the gear.

Anyway, I personally thought that the worst idea they had was to "modernize" the level 1-60 content with Cataclysm, because in my opinion it was such a massive waste of time. No one could really appreciate it anyway due to the increased leveling pace. Instead the world itself should've moved forward to introduce new stuff at max level in the older zones. You could still go through the older quests and see where it started just to then later get back with the new expansion and for example have some new stories at level 80 or 90 in the Barrens...

15+ Year Old Account
    Well people had their ranks, i had only sergeant, i wanted to feel special and “cooler” like look im champion of the horde but people with ranks was a constant reminder i could do something cool but in the end i couldnt its like losing hand of adal, because quest book was full :/
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Removal of social interactions that led to Cross-Realm sharding. I became far more toxic because I never cared about anyone I was meeting. I didn't respect any players because I'd probably never see them... pretty much equivalent to driving in traffic and everyone is cutting you off. So you intentionally prevent them from merging because you view them as dicks but, you don't honestly know their situation. Cross-Realm really dehumanized the people behind the characters.

7+ Year Old Account

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Nozuka View Post
    Hard to say, it‘s mostly a collection of alot of little things.

But one i really hate:
    Quote Originally Posted by Roelath View Post
    Removal of social interactions that led to Cross-Realm sharding. I became far more toxic because I never cared about anyone I was meeting. I didn't respect any players because I'd probably never see them... pretty much equivalent to driving in traffic and everyone is cutting you off. So you intentionally prevent them from merging because you view them as dicks but, you don't honestly know their situation. Cross-Realm really dehumanized the people behind the characters.
    As I understand it, OP limits time frame to vanilla period... which makes your statements somewhat erroneous, since changes, which you are talking about, doesn't belong to it. Not that it was somehow important, but such a remark

ps. My 666 post here with being also 13th in this thread.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Kersey View Post
    The continued nerfing of AV
    This one did hurt the most.

at the time of the swap over from classic to tbc, I was against homogenization being a priest I didn't want to lose my top spot. I think a lot of ppl were distracted by palas on horde and shamans on alliance, and flying. I wasn't so competitive in classic, I had the damage meters and topping meters was a thing even then but the lack of real competition made it difficult to care that much where you ended up. there was no competition between different healer classes. or dps classes for that matter, you could compete with your class but that was as far as it went, so in hind sight, the homogenization wasn't totally terrible because the game did become more competitive across classes. which ultimately lead to a better experience no matter what class or spec you were.

then you also had the fact that 40 man raid guilds had to magically downsize to 25 mans. its kinda amazing that alone didn't kill the game, i know a lot of guilds folded or lost a lot of players because of that change. was it the worst change? well ppl recovered from it. but I think that probably did the most significant unavoidable damage with one change they broke up 40 man raiding guilds. so if you were a 40 man at the end of classic, when you started grull and magtheridon, you lost 15 active raiders. for the most part a lot of folks were substitutes or occasionals. but in some cases you lost a significant portion of the whole team.

I think that was probably the worst direct change that affected the social aspect of the game, you had established guilds at the end of classic and then in tbc were forced to downsize. no change was really worst than that. you basically had to tell a bunch of ppl that they are now subs, or they should find a new guild to get a permanent spot. I can't say that this was a great position to be in.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-05-25 at 04:30 PM.

Kinda annoyed at the removal of wall jumping. Were there any 'gamebreaking' exploits with it in vanilla? Since all I remember is using it as a way to kill time exploring areas like ontop/under org, dun morogh airstrip, help sign etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    As I understand it, OP limits time frame to vanilla period... which makes your statements somewhat erroneous, since changes, which you are talking about, doesn't belong to it. Not that it was somehow important, but such a remark
    Oh you are right. Looks like i misunderstood the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    Kinda annoyed at the removal of wall jumping. Were there any 'gamebreaking' exploits with it in vanilla? Since all I remember is using it as a way to kill time exploring areas like ontop/under org, dun morogh airstrip, help sign etc.
    They didn't "remove" it, due to the updated client and how it handles terrain and such, it doesn't function unless they specifically make it function again.

Also to answer your question, yes there were gamebreaking exploits with it.
    Keeping the flag out of bounds in Warsong Gulch was pretty fucking annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    The placing of elite guards at neutral quest points that one-shot you on sight of you having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    The placing of elite guards at neutral quest points that one-shot you on sight of you having fun.
    I actually loved that change. I am pretty sure everyone was tired of rogues in booty bay or tanaris. Or ranged classes sitting on top of the one hut in tanaris. I cant remember if they ever fixed this during vanilla or if it was afterwards.