Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Why would they need to buy something that is theirs? That makes 0 sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Here you go
    That explains a lot

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    There was 1 lawsuit ever against a private server, which has absolutely nothing to do with Nostalrius and has nothing to do with vanilla.

I don't know what you're talking about, but Blizzard can't just seize physical servers from anyone, they also don't have the rights to code they didn't write and they can't just get access to whatever assets these servers would store that is Blizzard's property, like for example if a server stores the WoW client then Blizzard can't be just like: ok you have to give this to us now. That's not how it works... however they could force the server operator to take the server down (or remove their stuff), but that's not same thing as taking over
    i never brought up nostalrius, you did.

ofc blizzard cant seize servers. but they can demand servers in a settlement. and a judge can order servers to be handed over in a civil suit. and a curator can give blizzad the servers in a bankruptcy.

so it's not "we demand your code" its "we warned you but you didn't stop. give us the code or we go to court" or "you lost the court case, but since you can't pay the damages, we'll settle for your assets".

heck they can probably just ask to see the code as part of discovery.

Why would you buy something that is stolen in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    I heard long time ago Blizzard didn't have backup thus making of Classic would be impossible.
    Some say they actually bought data from private servers and put it into modern client. It didn't make sense at first but now after seeing there are many bugs in beta it's possible.
    dont be ridiculous. First off, they had the data themselves. Secondly, if it was data for a pirated game, then blizz owns all of that too regardless of who started it. That's how copyright laws work, nostalrius could have put 100k hours into the code, but it 100% all belongs to blizz. Copyrights and all.

They've already shown videos for how they did this though if you're interested in tech stuff; they had the code, they just had to teach modern wow clients to 'speak' old wow code.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, they didn't. They always had the old code. The problem is, the server-side vanilla code was written for an entirely different architecture than what the game uses now. Anyone else remember when they auctioned off the old server hardware for charity years ago? They didn't have the hardware anymore, and the way the realms work now is totally different. That's why they basically had to recreate everything.

According to the classic panel from last year those "we dont have the data" answers from before they announced classic were about the fact that in the early days they only had a source code change tracker but didn't have an automatic database backup for every version of the game. (those only existed from 1.12 and forward)
    But they did find old backups on old technology in storage when they actually decided to make classic and put some more energy into finding it.

Which, given that your main argument (there is bugs in the game) for your theory can be easily explained by the way they are recreating the game (copying the old data into the new version and fixing the differences by hand) and by very unreliable memories from the people who report those bugs, I think we can dismiss it until we find any kind of evidence of that transaction. Burden of proof and Extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary evidence and so on.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    I heard long time ago Blizzard didn't have backup thus making of Classic would be impossible.
    Some say they actually bought data from private servers and put it into modern client. It didn't make sense at first but now after seeing there are many bugs in beta it's possible.
    No they did not do this.

They stated IIRC that they used an archive of the database from that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgulon View Post
    They may have, but they also really shouldn't have to do that. They should be able to just tell them to give them the Data since it's their property to begin with :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    1. They wouldn't need to buy the data because legally it is their property.
    2. No.
    The data isn't their property. They just used their software. It's probably "we're going to sue you to the stone age unless you give us your data."

The story goes... Blizzard found an old piece of hardware that contained a backup of a backup. Because apparently it wasn't their policy to keep backups indefinitely.

2. Nostalrius hosted their servers in France. Blizzard wouldn't be able to seize anyone's stuff there lol. I even doubt that's possible in the US.
    Blizzard DOES have legal reach in France.

Also, you "doubt it's possible" that Blizzard could stop private servers hosted in the US? Tell me, why do you think there are LITERALLY ZERO (0) private servers hosted in the US?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The data isn't their property. They just used their software. It's probably "we're going to sue you to the stone age unless you give us your data."
    private server emulators are literally copyright infringement, you dingus. Why are there so many people on this forum that don't know shit but talk like they do?

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    private server emulators are literally copyright infringement, you dingus. Why are there so many people on this forum that don't know shit but talk like they do?
    That's what I said. The software is Blizzard's. I talk like I know because I do.

Blizzard DOES have legal reach in France.
    Yes I know dude, I have never said otherwise. Stop implying stupid shit that I didn't say.

Just because Blizzard has legal reach in France it doesn't mean that there's any legal base for the just "taking" someone's server.

Also, you "doubt it's possible" that Blizzard could stop private servers hosted in the US? Tell me, why do you think there are LITERALLY ZERO (0) private servers hosted in the US?
    First of all there are quite a few US servers, some of which have existed for 10yrs+ already and second of all, again, I haven't said that they couldn't sue private servers. I just said that I doubt that they could literally take over someone's server.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on what are they copyright infringement again? What did they steal or copy again? The code that they wrote themselves via blackbox testing (that is legal in both the EU and US)? It's so ironical that you have no idea what you're talking about, imply random nonsense and yet you shittalk other people lmao? Please no embarrasing replies this time

There was 1 lawsuit ever against a private server, which has absolutely nothing to do with Nostalrius and has nothing to do with vanilla.

I don't know what you're talking about, but Blizzard can't just seize physical servers from anyone, they also don't have the rights to code they didn't write and they can't just get access to whatever assets these servers would store that is Blizzard's property, like for example if a server stores the WoW client then Blizzard can't be just like: ok you have to give this to us now. That's not how it works... however they could force the server operator to take the server down (or remove their stuff), but that's not same thing as taking over

- - - Updated - - -

No they actually never said that. I am yet to see someone post the source where they said it like that
    I hate to break it to you, but they have the rights to anything associated with the IP.

Yes I know dude, I have never said otherwise. Stop implying stupid shit that I didn't say.

Just because Blizzard has legal reach in France it doesn't mean that there's any legal base for the just "taking" someone's server.
    Oh, so you're arguing tiny semantics now, just so you can be """""""right"""""""""

lol

also copyright infringement is 100% legal grounds for "taking" something

think before posting

First of all there are quite a few US servers
    no there aren't, lol

Any server in the US would get instantly fucked by legal threats.

Based on what are they copyright infringement again? What did they steal or copy again?
    Code that is almost identical to Blizzard's.

Just because you wrote it yourself doesn't mean it's not infringing someone else's copyright/patent.

It's so ironical that you have no idea what you're talking about, imply random nonsense and yet you shittalk other people lmao? Please no embarrasing replies this time
    "no UR dum LOL!!!"

Blocked

1. There wasn't a lawsuit
    2. Nostalrius hosted their servers in France. Blizzard wouldn't be able to seize anyone's stuff there lol. I even doubt that's possible in the US.
    I don't think you quite understand intellectual property or how copyright works....it doesn't matter your location because when you steal shit in this world of internet access you don't get away with it anymore....idiot.
    Master Personal Trainer Instagram: Understarmor
    Certified Fitness Nutritionist Facebook: Paul Starnes Fitness
    Certified in Corrective Exercise Science

If you have any fitness/nutrition related questions, feel free to DM me!

Oh, so you're arguing tiny semantics now, just so you can be """""""right"""""""""

lol

also copyright infringement is 100% legal grounds for "taking" something

think before posting

no there aren't, lol

Any server in the US would get instantly fucked by legal threats.
    1. You cannot take someone's server in France even if what is on there is against the law.
    2. There are many US servers dude. Use google ffs

Code that is almost identical to Blizzard's.

Just because you wrote it yourself doesn't mean it's not infringing someone else's copyright/patent.
    Srsly? When you make something entirely on your own without copying someone's work then it is yours. Private server devs do not know how Blizzard's server code looks like and thus they haven't copied it. Blackbox testing as well as reverse engineering of software is legal in the EU.

"no UR dum LOL!!!"

Blocked
    You aren't dumb, just very insecure and/or a child irl.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but they have the rights to anything associated with the IP.
    No they don't have the rights to just anything, but their rights are specified.
    Again just because someone commits copyright infrigement, doesn't mean that Blizzard can suddenly own the server where their stuff was hosted on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Understarmor View Post
    I don't think you quite understand intellectual property or how copyright works....it doesn't matter your location because when you steal shit in this world of internet access you don't get away with it anymore....idiot.
    If I don't know then explain and source what's wrong. I have dealt with this stuff already and I know that some random company can't just suddenly own your servers/computers, because you have illegally stored their software on it. That's not how it works (not in the EU and I doubt that it's different in the US)

Yesterday some streamer reported that windfury was broken / not working at all. I just wonder.. if something like that is broken, what else is? And what else is broken that will never be discovered? I don't mind too much, though, hoping TBC will be next.

Lmao. Private Server data would be incompatible in every single way possible, you know literally nothing about what you're talking about if this is something that you legit believe.