Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I'll take a stab at it.

After the end of this expansion, a few Kul Tiran or Zandalari sailors (depending on your faction, obviously) return from a long voyage at sea, having come across a series of islands. While they seem to lack any useful resources, they are said to be a paradise unto themselves. As a champion of the Horde or the Alliance, you are given one such island. However, it is stressed that it is YOUR island, and your faction cannot divert funds into helping you build it up; instead, it is a reward for your loyalty and service to your faction (obviously, this might take some twists or turns if you're on the Horde, depending how things play out).

For your first journey, you must take a boat there. However, a powerful Mage accompanies you setting up a beacon in which you can use a hearthstone to return to your island from then on.

Lore-wise, this is an extremely long and arduous journey, too far in the middle of nowhere to realistically be used as a "staging ground".

It would start out a blank island. In a perfect world, it might start out with some randomly-generated terrain, but no biggie. The island is completely barren (barring possibly a short intro quest, where you clear out some monsters living there and then tear everything down). Basically, though, it becomes a blank canvas. Just a big, mostly un-noteworthy island. You can then begin acquiring housing items, even *buildings*, to place upon your island.

Furthermore, by requesting the assistance of a powerful Shaman or Druid (thinking Thrall for Horde, Malfurion for Alliance), you can also do a couple of things:

- Change the environment. Instead of a flat landmass, you could add mountains, subtle inclines, maybe rivers -- even if they "snap-in" like LEGO pieces, it could spice things up a bit.

- Pull more land from up from the ocean. Either as part of the "main island", or even pulling up small "isles" that you could connect with via bridges of some sort (ie maybe you add a series of rocks to jump between them, or a rope bridge, or a massive stone-bridge; cool opportunity to add some personality to the place)

- Change the ground itself or type of native foliage. Maybe you want a tropical sort of beach island, or maybe you want it to look like a harsh stone pillar jutting out from the ocean. Maybe you want somethings "exotic" like Crystalsong Forest, or maybe you want something that will have autumn-colors year-round,

- Change Weather effects. Maybe you want your place in a constant state of winter, where "sand" looks more akin to snow, maybe there are suddenly blocks of ice out in the water. Or just set it to "random", where it changes daily or weekly.

- Maybe even allow you to build "caves" or "underground caverns" into your island.

In addition, you could request the assistance of a powerful Mage (maybe Jaina for Alliance, or whoever the Nightborne chick was) to let you change the "skybox", which not only gives you some cool options for the sky itself, but might also greatly affect the general lighting and atmosphere of your place.

To REALLY begin decorating, though, you might have to consider varying degrees of gold-sinks for different sort so of "Keeps" you could build. These wouldn't be mandatory, mind you, but would be the easiest way to incorporate very large, detailed buildings into your property. Maybe you could even drop gold on entire "themes", such as "I want a new Forsaken fortress, complete with small cemetary, and constant eerie moonlight that makes the water appear almost green.

I would probably add a new tradeskill (like Archaeology, where it doesn't preclude any "REAL tradeskills") that focuses on building house-items. I would actually use this in conjunction with EXISTING tradeskills. So for a simple chair, you can build it entirely with tradeskills. Something more extravagant, like a wrought-iron chair, mind require a Blacksmithing component. If you want a Nightborne-inspired chair, maybe it requires a bit of enchanting dust, and/or some ingredient found around Suramar. Truly EXTRAVAGANT items -- like entire BUILDINGS -- might require items from numerous tradeskills (ie. a bunch of stuff from Jewelcrafting, Blacksmithing, and Enchanting might let you build a magical vault, full of gold and gems).

Other ideas might include building a dock, and being able to acquire different types of ships to dock at your port (you CANNOT use them to travel; purely cosmetic, otherwise players would be OBLIGATED to have them).

PERSONALLY, I would make your island Faction-wide. I'm not opposed to having Character-specific housing by any means, but I can just see where that would eat up a *LOT* more server space. I think two houses per actively-subscribed account is still totally worth it.

All House-items should be Account-wide, however (even if some are Faction-specific to actually place).

In addition, I would say that ALL Followers and Companions you've unlocked (NPC's from both Draenor and Legion) could randomly appear on your island. No "actives and inactives" (or at least, no limitations; maybe you can simply "uninvite" NPC's you don't like). Certain house-items would cause NPC's to appear near them (ie. certain tables might spawn 3-4 NPC's randomly near them, certain buildings might randomly spawn NPC's within, etc). This has the dual effect of encouraging players to have multiple classes, to access those different Class Hall NPC's.

Or -- like many other MMO's already do -- you could simply treat NPC's as "house items" themselves, letting you place them as well. I just thought "spawning them near 'social' items" might feel a bit more organic.

If you are unsubbed for X number of days (I feel like 90 is a good number), then all of your house-items are returned to you. That way, you can ease the amount of space being used on housing by inactive players. As long as they don't LOSE anything, they would just have to "re-decorate" their island after returning.

Now, as far as "staying relevant"...

Well, it should only be as "relevant" as you are interested in it. If you honestly don't care, then just do the quest to get your island, and you never have to touch it again. I suspect a lot of players would REALLY dig it, though.
    Main problems here.

Where would you enter the island from? And perhaps more importantly, where would you exit?
    Suppose you could make it an Acherus-style teleport where you get teleported back to where you were, but that just makes the house too convenient, as people might be tempted to stay in the house all day. It has more of a personal touch afterall.

The main problem you would hit in your idea is the complexity of it though, and if you scale it back to what might be considered reasonable, you end up with Garrisons without the functionality. Having professions would mitigate it of course, as so long as Blizz keeps updating the profession, or adds items like trophies or unique buildings for specific achievements like raiding or Mythic bosses or whatever it could in theory stay afloat forever.

Mainly i am just afriad it will end up stagnating like Garrisons did the second they lost their utility.

Full disclosure though. I did not actually read the first post you made to start this, and once i did i realized to my shock that you had pretty much the exact same idea as me for how to make it work (i.e. make it an island)
    So i guess i cannot in good faith go against you when my dream implementation is so similar.

Only difference i had to my own design was let you choose one of the preset islands from expeditions, (maybe 2 or 3) and make the docks useable, but by making it a mechanic in and of itself, by having you get license to dock in areas like Gadgetzan or Valiance keep by getting exalted with relevant factions.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless Blizz lays a whole lot of groundwork to make housing more interactible than Garrisons, you would still be limited to having preset layouts. The houses might change, and you might have some different pathing. But WoW is simply not built for housing sadly, so i fear that if we got housing, (as in, Blizzcon brief specifically mentions it being player housing) It would just end up like garrisons, and be abandoned after a single expansion of players complaining about all houses being similar to all the other houses.

I believe they are an entirely pointless drain on server resources, I understand a lot of people are into their looks, costumes and mounts these days, but most people buy these types of game go kill stuff for loot to get stronger to kill more stuff for better loot.

We had people in our guild on Star wars galaxies that would log on and spend 6 hours moving furniture around their house, as soon as you tried to drive through a player city, there was a server freeze in the local area as they struggle to draw enough power to load 1000 items in 500 houses for every player that sped past.

Wildstar tried it? That selling point wasnt the key to their success as they hoped either.

Its one of those "Nice to haves" but not at the expense of game performance, if its instanced, then its an extra loading screen, people are starting to dislike those more and more, maybe it would fit in an MMO that has been built specifically to deal with it, creating Architect and Interior designer classes, in a slow paced MMO where logging on and literally doing nothing is ok.
    They could allocate time and resources on a separate server cluster, but I'm not sure if it would be a big feature, did anyone really enjoy maintaining their Garrisson, I grew to HATE those upkeep daily quests.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I'm supposedly on one of the top populated servers ON EARTH.. Illidan btw.. and it's freaken DEAD right now: imagine this with player housing.

If you're reading this post blizz: Move on
    Oh, honey, you think player housing would make the world more alive? More dead, more like.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I'm supposedly on one of the top populated servers ON EARTH.. Illidan btw.. and it's freaken DEAD right now: imagine this with player housing.

If you're reading this post blizz: Move on
    TO be fair, people are waiting for 8.2, so things are going to be deader than usual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    It would have to be another feature they would have to update every expansion and seeing how they want to bring out content lighter expansions and faster to increase profits.

It's highly unlikely this will ever happen, shame the one mmo with a great and detailed system got shut down.
    Another BS claim. IN fact, their history say your are wrong because they admitted that they couldn't get expansions out 1 a year, so they actually slowed down on that. Try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post

Another BS claim. IN fact, their history say your are wrong because they admitted that they couldn't get expansions out 1 a year, so they actually slowed down on that. Try again.
    Be my guest and defend their model for expansions if you like, not sure what you stand to gain from it. But hey you go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Just... don't add any GAMEPLAY-affecting reasons to have a House. No "buffs", no "free/extra resources", just an ENTIRELY OPTIONAL thing. Because nothing makes things less fun that feeling *obligated* to do them.
    How often do you hang out in your garrison? It's ENTIRELY OPTIONAL for you to do so.

Oh wait, you don't?

No one does?

This is why player housing would be a waste of time.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    How often do you hang out in your garrison? It's ENTIRELY OPTIONAL for you to do so.

Oh wait, you don't?

No one does?

This is why player housing would be a waste of time.
    Garrison has nearly zero customization and personalization. I mean, even the one thing that you can change (a statue tied to certain achievements) is not updated beyond WoD. If a feature is abandoned by the devs, it's no wonder players don't use it.

Guild Housing would be the only good option. Player housing would just give you Garrisons again.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Garrison has nearly zero customization and personalization. I mean, even the one thing that you can change (a statue tied to certain achievements) is not updated beyond WoD. If a feature is abandoned by the devs, it's no wonder players don't use it.
    This game has very little customization/personalization period. If people were interested in player housing they would be more interested in garrisons at this stage but they are not, even with their current lack of customization. It was abandoned for good reason.

I was one of the players who thought that housing would be a fun idea (especially a dimension system similar to Rift) but I do not think WoW players want it.

In garrisons you cna change what NPCs walk around, what buildings are shown, each one with a subtly different flavor given to your garrison. You can also change the music in your garrison.

Take a step back and ask yourself. What level of customization would i be happy with. Then consider how long it took Blizz to make Garrisons, and if you are willing for Bliz to sacrifice possibly an entire expansion on making a player housing system that might just end up being "okay"

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Thriving community? LOL. They shut it down because it was a money pit. If it had a thriving community it wouldn't have been losing money. Other games ahaving housing doesn't mean WoW should have it. If you want to play house The Sims -->. This is WARcraft. not Playhousecraft.
    I actually played WildStar. It had a huge community. It still does. That very community is working on getting a private server up because they miss the game so much. As for not having player housing, your reasoning is really really weak. If it wasn't a popular want then players wouldn't ask about it perpetually. But sure, go off about how WoW wouldn't be improved by player housing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    This game has very little customization/personalization period. If people were interested in player housing they would be more interested in garrisons at this stage but they are not, even with their current lack of customization. It was abandoned for good reason.

I was one of the players who thought that housing would be a fun idea (especially a dimension system similar to Rift) but I do not think WoW players want it.
    Garrisons weren't player housing. Your reasoning is ridiculous. Players ask for player housing CONSTANTLY. Players despised Garrisons because they gave little to no customization options on launch. Before launch, there was promises of being allowed to put whatever buildings you wanted wherever and would be able to choose what zone you put the garrison in with different themes for each zone. There was also promises of trophies and such that would further personalize the garrison. All these things were gutted and infuriated the player base. So it's not that players don't want player housing. They just want it to actually be customizable housing rather than a nonsense situation where there is next to no identity with the setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The list of things they were stupid not to implement is huge.

Class balance, for example. (And no, that's not a pose.)

Or solo queues.

Yes, housing as well.
    Solo queues LOL

Will never understand peoples obsessions with trying to make a multiplayer game single player.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Garrisons weren't player housing. Your reasoning is ridiculous. Players ask for player housing CONSTANTLY.
    Really because I rarely see these posts anymore, I don't think it's as desired as you think it is. Definitely think garrisons were poorly implemented and could have offered better customization, WoD was a shitshow in that regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Solo queues LOL

Will never understand peoples obsessions with trying to make a multiplayer game single player.
    Same people in most of these posts, they need to move on to a single player RPG. Will get exactly what they want there.

Any other fact-based-statistics you have in that crystal ball of yours?
    Do you?

Because so far, i've not seen anything to actually disprove the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Do you?

Because so far, i've not seen anything to actually disprove the claim.
    Quick debating 101 for you.
    Burden of proof is always on the person making claims.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I would sacrifice raids for an entire expansion if it meant adding systems like housing and making other systems like Warfronts / Islands good. WoW **desperately** needs meaningful content outside of dungeons/raids. And no, just because that is what has always been the core content does not mean it should remain that way.
    That's a big no from me. The core of this game is dungeons and raids. Without those, there really is nothing to keep people in this game.

You're essentially telling them, "Screw the model that has made your game last 15 years, I want houses and demand you sacrifice for me!"

War fronts will never be good. Island expeditions will never be good. There's no way to make them good unless, and here's the real ironic part to your point you're trying to make, they make them more like raids and dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    That's a big no from me. The core of this game is dungeons and raids. Without those, there really is nothing to keep people in this game.

You're essentially telling them, "Screw the model that has made your game last 15 years, I want houses and demand you sacrifice for me!"

War fronts will never be good. Island expeditions will never be good. There's no way to make them good unless, and here's the real ironic part to your point you're trying to make, they make them more like raids and dungeons.
    Just to quickly interject with a tiny soapbox here.

Island expeditions can absolutely be good. They just need to not be a race with 2 other players who might not have the same intentions as you.
    Had they been made as infinite exploration mode where you just go in and turn off your brain for a quick 10-20 minute challenge, they would have been fantastic.

Agree with the other stuff though.

Guild housing? And what about people withou guilds? They still exist.

Speaking as a SWTOR player as well, I love housing. There, we have not only the space for ourselves, we can also invite other people, have auction houses, store items and holocrons we get from ordinary questing and flashpoints, we get free transportation to fleet and to personal spaceship etc. It really makes the game more fun. There are so much unsed space in WoW, they really should consider this possibility -- and they have at least where to look to get inspired.

A waste of time for a niche thing for a niche community. Even if they decided to do it.. you really trust current WoW devs to release player housing that is 'good'? You already witnessed their first "attempt" at it. They lost 'it' and all they do is ruin their own games currently.. adding pointless shallow feature X, Y, and Z
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso