Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So you were trying to say they are not competing by saying they are trying to compete? I didn't have to twist or cut anything out. You even said earlier in the thread they were trying to force their way in as a competitor. Which apparently you lied then because they are not competing. Out of all the issues with EGS you choose to stick to a bad lie. Why?
    I don't want to call the EGS competition because I don't like their practices so I'm lying? That's not a lie dude. That's a really dumb thing to try to get me on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    How much is "a lot of people"? Because I'm fairly certain that what matters to them is "most of people".

... and something tells me that most people don't really give a flying fuck about what platform they need to run in order to play the game they want.
    I think there is plenty of people upset but not enough to intimidate Epic or make them change their ways. If they keep doing this, eventually something will have to give.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    How much is "a lot of people"? Because I'm fairly certain that what matters to them is "most of people".

... and something tells me that most people don't really give a flying fuck about what platform they need to run in order to play the game they want.
    It's enough that THQ Nordic doesn't want to talk about Metro's numbers on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    I don't want to call the EGS competition because I don't like their practices so I'm lying? That's not a lie dude. That's a really dumb thing to try to get me on.
    You not liking their practices is fine.

You saying its not competition is factually false.

- - - Updated - - -

Really?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-at-thq-nordic
    Metro Exodus boosted THQ Nordic's revenue in the first quarter, with the publisher confirming that 4A Games' shooter has recouped all production and marketing costs.

In the three month period ended March 31, 2019, the THQ Nordic group earned SEK 1.63 billion (€151 million) in revenue, up 158% over the same quarter last year. Operational EBIT for the period was SEK 395.9 million (€37 million), a 217% year-on-year increase.

The two key releases of the quarter were 4A Games' Metro Exodus and Coffee Stain's Satisfactory. Both games were exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC; the former sold 2.5 times what Metro Last Light did in its PC launch window, while the latter was Coffee Stain's biggest PC launch to date.

THQ Nordic said that Satisfactory's launch performance, "exceeded management's expectations at the time of our acquisition of Coffee Stain." The Swedish developer earned SEK 98 million (€9.1 million) in revenue in the quarter.

The single biggest component of THQ Nordic, Deep Silver, earned SEK 794 million (€74 million) in revenue. This was due to the performance of Metro Exodus, which has recouped all investment in its production and marketing. THQ Nordic has already signed a deal for 4A Games next AAA project.

The Partner Publishing business brought in SEK 596 million (€55 million) in revenue, and the THQ Nordic business area earned SEK 143 million (€13 million) -- a year-on-year increase of 6%, as THQ Nordic is one of the few parts of the group that has not been bought or established in the time since Q1 2018.

Indeed, the company acquired another studio today: Piranha Bytes, the creator of Gothic and Elex, for an undisclosed sum.

According to the THQ Nordic group, there were a total of 80 games in development across THQ Nordic, Deep Silver and Coffee Stain, with 48 of them still unannounced. Altogether, SEK 305.2 million (€28 million) was invested in the development pipeline.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I think there is plenty of people upset but not enough to intimidate Epic or make them change their ways. If they keep doing this, eventually something will have to give.
    The only thing that will give is the amount of fuck's people give.

Its a loud minority who's pissed, Always has been always will be. People have bitched about exclusives on console and there is no change, people are bitching about exclusives on PC and once again there will be no change.

As usual its the loud minority and like I said it always will be.

People don't like change and the same thing happen when Valve entered the market.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    You earlier saying they are trying to compete or forcing their way in as a competitor and then later claiming they are not competing is the lie. Your personal like or dislike of what they are doing doesn't change them trying to compete with steam. Using your logic PS4 does not compete with Xbox One because I don't like the PS4. Or that Samsung and Apple do not compete for phones because I don't like the Iphone. Or that last world cup winners did not compete because I don't like them.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-05-23 at 11:43 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

People don't like change and the same thing happen when Valve entered the market.
    There was literally no market when Valve brought Steam out, alternatives that were available were atrocious. And it was crap for quite some time, but it took years to set what is now the standard. Epic seems to have this notion that what Valve standardized as being considered a functional distribution platform is all shit that doesn't exist on EGS and won't exist for in some cases another year. QoL stuff matters, you can't go half baked and expect people to want to use your product. If you can't do anything for the consumer, they won't flock to your product from an established business.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    There was literally no market when Valve brought Steam.
    Yes there was, PC Physical games.

Valve changed the market they entered and EGS is doing the same. People was pissed about it when Valve did it and people are pissed when EGS is doing it.

People was pissed when Uplay,Origin,Battlenet,GOG ect... Enter the market because people don't like change.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Yeah, TRYING. Next time you're gonna cut out quotes and bold shit to try to make it look like I'm saying something else try harder.

Neither do a lot of people.

Until late 2019 it will be on Steam. After that it will be Epic Exclusive. They're not going to let it sit there and have Valve take a cut when they've bought the Studio.
    And people who already bought it on Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You earlier saying they are trying to compete or forcing their way in as a competitor and then later claiming they are not competing is the lie. Your personal like or dislike of what they are doing doesn't change them trying to compete with steam. Using your logic PS4 does not compete with Xbox One because I don't like the PS4. Or that Samsung and Apple do not compete for phones because I don't like the Iphone. Or that last world cup winners did not compete because I don't like them.
    If you want to get nit picky, Apple sort of does not compete with Samsung.

For a more topical example, for a long time there was a big push to make a "wow killer". The issue with this is a simple misinterpretation that Blizzard's audience is the MMO audience ie somehow a "me too" entry will get access to that market. No it was more special and specific than that and they really are Blizzard's - rather than the general market's audience. You can see how this would also relate to Apple.

You might expect something like steam to be more agnostic but apparently not. Thing is you cannot move on from steam. They have the ultimate product lock in whereby you would literally have to hack every single game you own to even just uninstall it. So you are going to end up with both versions of crapware on your PC if you jump to EGS as well - and be tied to them forever. Like I said earlier in the thread I don't really see that as an attractive proposition.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/24/epi...or-thq-nordic/

Wingefors clarified to PCGamesN that the Epic Games Store has in fact “exceeded our expectations” as far unit sales for both Metro: Exodus, and Satisfactory.

What’s more, the revenue THQ Nordic generated on the platform was enough to trump all other digital storefronts in the most recent quarter. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March,” said Wingefors.
    Yeah, PC exceeded expectations for both their releases and digital revenue through PC was higher than XBL and PSN. They're not talking hard numbers, which isn't surprising, but they're clearly signaling that it's been a decisions they're quite pleased with. Not sure why you're still trying to push this nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic, Steam, whattever. GOG Galaxy 2.0 will come along to save the day!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Yeah, PC exceeded expectations for both their releases and digital revenue through PC was higher than XBL and PSN. They're not talking hard numbers, which isn't surprising, but they're clearly signaling that it's been a decisions they're quite pleased with. Not sure why you're still trying to push this nonsense.
    Likely because of the upfront exclusive money plus Epic taking a smaller cut of the profits means higher return on their product financially, yet they don't talk numbers because overall sales numbers do actually have a talking point in these kinds of discussions. Metro 2033 and Last Light both did well on Steam, over time, but Last Light didn't do as well as release as they'd hoped. All that THQ is signaling is that they wanted a better financial return at release than what Steam gave them, which is fair.

Likely because of the upfront exclusive money plus Epic taking a smaller cut of the profits means higher return on their product financially, yet they don't talk numbers because overall sales numbers do actually have a talking point in these kinds of discussions. Metro 2033 and Last Light both did well on Steam, over time, but Last Light didn't do as well as release as they'd hoped. All that THQ is signaling is that they wanted a better financial return at release than what Steam gave them, which is fair.
    You do realize in my post right above Edge's I show the game did 2.5x the amount of Last Night? That is actual sales and would have no effect on the deal they made with EGS......

It also shows the people bitching and moaning are a small minority, Each game that has been EGS exclusive has done really well in both Sales and Profits.

World War Z also sold way above expectations.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/world-war-z-...e-exclusivity/
    “Overall the US and EU have been equally strong in sales. We have had 70,000 people playing at once across all platforms, with very similar distribution among PC, PS4 and Xbox," he said. "What surprises us is the fact that sales outside of the US on the Epic Store have been so strong, with the US being only one quarter of sales.”
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-05-25 at 06:32 PM.

Likely because of the upfront exclusive money
    Except he said for unit sales. Whatever epic paid them up front is not a unit sale. Meaning no, not your bullshit theory at all.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realize in my post right above Edge's I show the game did 2.5x the amount of Last Night? That is actual sales and would have no effect on the deal they made with EGS......

It also shows the people bitching and moaning are a small minority, Each game that has been EGS exclusive has done really well in both Sales and Profits.

World War Z also sold way above expectations.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/world-war-z-...e-exclusivity/
    Where's the sales figures then? Because there's still ZERO hard numbers.

Last Light did between 2-5 million before Steam blocked SteamSpy from tracking sales figures, same goes for Metro 2033 but those aren't reliable enough anyway. VGchartz only tracks physical copies of games and both Metro 2033 and Last Light bombed on the 360, both combined to less than 1 million on the 360 and only 440,000 on the PS3 for Last Light. Maybe THQ should stop being the disingenuous cunts they are and admit that they fucking dropped the bomb on marketing the first two games effectively and that they should have focused on improving the game's sales on consoles rather than using Steam as a scapegoat for the series lackluster launch sales figures. The games are great, but like most publishers, they just whine and find a shitty scapegoat to use an excuse for their games not doing as well as hoped. And Metro: 2033 came out with a fuck ton of hype from the hardcore gamer community.

Until such time as they can prove to me that Metro Exodus has sold more than what Steam did in it's launch window with hard, comparable numbers, I will continue to take THQ with a whole lot of seriousness. But they should maybe go after the console plebs first rather than bitching about Steam players.

Metro Last Light:
    PS3 = 0.44mil
    http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45942/m...ht/?region=All

Xbox 360 = 0.35mil
    http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45942/m...ht/?region=All

Metro 2033:
    Xbox 360 = 0.34mil
    http://www.vgchartz.com/game/40226/m...33/?region=All

Also, this https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ands-of-games/, Metro 2033 Redux had over 2 million overall players and Last Light Redux almost 1.5 million. In essence, the game did pretty underwhelming regardless of platform, but the Redux versions seemed to sell better from what I can gather, but the information isn't all that consistent. Deep Silver has only ever said that one of the re-releases sold over 1.5 million copies between PC and consoles.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2019-05-25 at 08:20 PM.

VGchartz
    lol dude really linking vgchartz for his argument now.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

What expectations did they have tho? They obviously didn't expect too amazing of numbers as epic was a new launcher and had tons of flaws.

As long as the money they got from epic makes up for any potential lost income of course they are going to be pleased with it.

I mean when you have another game saying they could easily refund all preorders and still have a bunch of money left over from epics exclusive deal having low sales numbers doesn't really matter in the short term.

That is until epic has a sale and doesn't tell you so you make them remove your game temporarily or raise the base price of your game to get more money from people and epic(as epic was paying the 10 bucks or what ever it was.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    That is until epic has a sale and doesn't tell you so you make them remove your game temporarily or raise the base price of your game to get more money from people and epic(as epic was paying the 10 bucks or what ever it was.)
    Epic told everyone if you believe their word. The developer that raised their price even said they were going to raise the price anyways and it was bad timing to do it with the sale. Plenty of developers on Steam don't participate in the steam sales or do so to a minor degree. It is a non-issue.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

What expectations did they have tho? They obviously didn't expect too amazing of numbers as epic was a new launcher and had tons of flaws.
    Do you have literally anything other than your imagination to back this assertion up?

Where's the sales figures then? Because there's still ZERO hard numbers.
    From the Publisher who made that statement.

Your VGchart's link doesn't mean shit and those links are about Console Sales and my link was about PC.

- - - Updated - - -

And your proof is?
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-05-26 at 01:43 AM.