Our weird looking cherries

We have over a dozen cherry trees on our property. Mostly because they look pretty when blooming. My wife and I just spent the morning picking cherries and the crop this year is weird. Most of the cherries (probably 80%) are double fruits (see below). Not sure what could have caused the phenomena. It does not affect the flavor (sweet and tart). They just look weird.

Interesting. I actually thought that was because we had too much rain (25 inches in 2019 and still counting) and below average temperature (we had dusting of snow last weekend).

10+ Year Old Account
    The weird weather effed up my early berry crops.
    The unusually warm Jan and Feb caused early blossoms. The young fruit struggled to develop in the dry and cold spring. Lot of overcast days can also cause slow development. Some fruits need direct sun exposure to ripen properly. So with grapes and cherries, I will clip leaves to expose the clusters to as much sun as possible.

Late season fruits seem to be doing fine. Though most El Nino years tend to have very dry summers and falls. So I'm planning to do more intensive watering.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2019-05-25 at 07:42 PM.

Looks like a baboon’s ass

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Lol. Yeah. That was my wife's reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    The weird weather effed up my early berry crops.
    The unusually warm Jan and Feb caused early blossoms. The young fruit struggled to develop in the dry and cold spring. Lot of overcast days can also cause slow development. Some fruits need direct sun exposure to ripen properly. So with grapes and cherries, I will clip leaves to expose the clusters to as much sun as possible.

Late season fruits seem to be doing fine. Though most El Nino years tend to have very dry summers and falls. So I'm planning to do more intensive watering.
    Make sense. This week our area was covered with fog. Even during the day. Friday was the first time we had any sun. It had been like that pretty much through 2019.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-05-25 at 08:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was having a discussion with my aunt and a friend the other day about a major problem from supermarkets. Big supermarket chains throw out hundreds of tons of food each week, perfectly edible food, all because these fruits, vegetables and fungi look slightly misshapen, all because these places want some 'perfect image' with the public.

One supermarket here in the UK, Morrisons, is starting a campaign to introduce more misshapen fruits and vegetables so these perfectly edible products aren't going to waste.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/...es-food-waste/

I brought myself a pack of double headed mushrooms that most other supermarkets dispose of for being 'ugly', they were just the same as the 'perfectly formed' mushrooms your see in these places.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2019-05-26 at 11:33 AM.
    #boycottchina

3+ Year Old Account
    like a shape of kidney, haha~

Thank god "cherries" wasnt an euphemism

Gratz on your weird cherries. I've got some crab apple trees and wild blackberries in my yard. The blackberries are very iffy about berrying. Been in this house for 19 years, and I think they've only berried like 4 or 5 times. D:

those are what cherries look like, naturally. Maraschino cherry's are a breed of cherry specifically chosen to be the "commercial cherry".

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I was having a discussion with my aunt and a friend the other day about a major problem from supermarkets. Big supermarket chains throw out hundreds of tons of food each week, perfectly edible food, all because these fruits, vegetables and fungi look slightly misshapen, all because these places want some 'perfect image' with the public.

One supermarket here in the UK, Morrisons, is starting a campaign to introduce more misshapen fruits and vegetables so these perfectly edible products aren't going to waste.

I brought myself a pack of double headed mushrooms that most other supermarkets dispose of for being 'ugly', they were just the same as the 'perfectly formed' mushrooms your see in these places.
    uh. I got news for you. none of that stuff is getting thrown out and was not getting thrown out. it never makes it to the supermarket in a first place and instead is used to make purees, jams, chutnies, etc. and really ugly produce? gets fed to livestock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    uh. I got news for you. none of that stuff is getting thrown out and was not getting thrown out. it never makes it to the supermarket in a first place and instead is used to make purees, jams, chutnies, etc. and really ugly produce? gets fed to livestock.
    I'm afraid in order to present 'news' your require a source to do that.
    #boycottchina

Pop em

Pop that cherry!

I'm afraid in order to present 'news' your require a source to do that.
    it's common sense, although supermarkets do throw out food they try their very best to minimize this (because moneys). Supermarkets don't order the misshapen fruits and veggies, they don't go to supermarkets. Supermarkets often have deals with producers of fruit and get delivered a very specific supermarket grade food product. For example most supermarket strawberries are grown based foremost on shelf-life, secondly on visuals and thirdly on taste. Where I live there are strawberry farmers who grow specifically for bakeries etc, those star-berries taste much better then your average store bought strawberry but the downside is that they'll go bad a few days after picking them.

Also if you're asking people for sources don't say something like "Big supermarket chains throw out hundreds of tons of food each week, perfectly edible food, all because these fruits, vegetables and fungi look slightly misshapen". The reason they throw out food is because they generally stock more then they sell (as little as possible) and because they have thousands of stores, and if you add them all up you end up with a big number.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'll disagree. Not all farmers have relations with multiple wholesalers. Fruit byproduct producers usually buy bulk at commodity pricing so small farmers supplying local markets might simply not have access to alternative markets for their products. Plus in Europe due to the CAP it may be better to present produce as destroyed and seek insurance (or maybe you have overabundance and go beyond quotas) than sell it below market price (fuck the CAP).
    In Europe you have fruit actions where even small farmers can sell their produce, people there buy various lots and sell them on to supermarkets or byproduct producers as larger packages.

Juicers and food items frequently buy these visually "unappealing" produce.