Poll: Are we heading towards an Old Gods expansion?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    The old gods will only be a related thing but I feel like it is going more towards the void or "death" themed. Something beyond the old gods but related by being on that part of the spectrum. Void and Death stuff unrelated to old gods has played a large part that it makes me feel like they are a set up for the next expansion. Maybe something Ethereal related as well.

The defeat of the legion leaves a void to be filled. I'd just like to see more beyond "old gods". Would be interesting if Bwonsamdi turns out to be a different type of servant to the void lords. and we have a "Void Legion" so to speak.

Edit: Also I'd love to see a return to something in style with TBC expansion. I'd love that style of armor and stuff to be done with better models and graphics. I don't mind the current art styles but there was something I liked more about the more "cartoon" style of TBC (I don't even know if I mean cartoon but can't think of a different word)
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-05-25 at 06:51 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The old gods will only be a related thing but I feel like it is going more towards the void or "death" themed. Something beyond the old gods but related by being on that part of the spectrum. Void and Death stuff unrelated to old gods has played a large part that it makes me feel like they are a set up for the next expansion. Maybe something Ethereal related as well.
    Yes, that would work perfectly too, indeed.

Also I'd love to see a return to something in style with TBC expansion. I'd love that style of armor and stuff to be done with better models and graphics. I don't mind the current art styles but there was something I liked more about the more "cartoon" style of TBC (I don't even know if I mean cartoon but can't think of a different word)
    More... colorful?

I find myself using a lot of BC armor sets because of their HUGE VARIETY of colors and shapes compared to the newer sets, despite of them having lower resolution in the textures.

I find those something that make the characters feel more... unique.

Standardized armor sets and little variation were a welcome change of direction when implemented in Wrath because the mismatched BC sets had made many players feel like clowns rather than heroes... but now we don't really need that any more, having acces to transmogs, now do we?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    What Old God expansion? We will gut N'zoth in 8.3 and then it will officially be Void Lords arc.
    Are we sure about killing him, or do we only know that we will FIGHT him?

? My dude, you ARE in the Old God expansion, just disguised as a faction war one for pathos and marketing. All raids except BDA deal with them one way or another and N'zoth is 99% certain to be the star of 8.3.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    ? My dude, you ARE in the Old God expansion, just disguised as a faction war one for pathos and marketing. All raids except BDA deal with them one way or another and N'zoth is 99% certain to be the star of 8.3.
    My reasoning is, that we had plenty of Burning Legion elements in Warlords of Draenor... and yet that was not a Legion expansion.
    In fact, a *full* Legion expansion came AFTER that one.

So this one could be leading to a *full* Old Gods one.

Blizzard may find something better to give us... and that's ok, I am just curious! After subbing 10+ years, I will play whatever they give us. But to me, this is not fully themed after them, regardless of them playing a role, and I won't call an expansion a full Old Gods expansion unless we get to travel to Ny'alotha as a full zone, and basically they are the declared full theme of the expansion, as in 'Rise of the Black Empire' or the such. And it's ok if they never give one to us... I was just asking, because many people think it actually may be happening, and I love the theme!

To each their own I guess. :P
    Last edited by Astranea; 2019-05-25 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astranea View Post
    To each their opinions but just because there are some Old Gods as bosses, I do not think it can defined a full themed Old Gods expansion.

We had plenty of Burning Legion elements in Warlords of Draenor... and yet that was not a Legion expansion. In fact, a full Legion expansion came AFTER that.

So this one could be leading to a full Old Gods one.

Blizzard may find something better to give us... and that's ok, I am curious! After subbing 10+ years, I will play whatever they give us. But to me, this is not fully themed after them, regardless of them playing a role, and I won't call an expansion a full Old Gods expansion unless we get to travel to Ny'alotha as a full zone, and basically they are the declared full theme of the expansion, as in 'Rise of the Black Empire' or the such.

To each their own I guess. :P
    If Argus can be patch content, you better believe N'yalotha will be, and from 8.2 on out the faction war will be on the backburner (save for the Horde civil war that is also 99% certain to be about the Warchief being a puppet dancing on tentacle strings) and it's Azshara + N'zoth city, population us. That means more than half of the xpack's lifespan will be about Old Gods or their servants, after we already got G'huun and the various going-ons in Stormheim as appetizers.

So basically like Cata where we start with a faction war and a bit of Old Gods but end up knee-deck in the latter because it makes for more epic storylines and raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astranea View Post
    Are we sure about killing him, or do we only know that we will FIGHT him?
    Puhlease... it's clear as day that he's biting the dust in 8.3 like Sargeras did. It's endgame for the whole Old Gods crap and Xal is setting up next expansion with Shadowguard, Karesh and Void. That or Sylvanas doing same, pretty much.

All in all Old Gods are not really much of a threat, they are merely minions of Void Lords, so N'zoth will be taken out in a patch and gate to Void Lords expansion will be opened.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck, each and every Old God so far died in one patch and I don't see why N'zoth will be so different, especially after Sargeras, so 8.3 is Nyalotha and us gutting Nzoth. The end.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If Argus can be patch content, you better believe N'yalotha will be, and from 8.2 on out the faction war will be on the backburner (save for the Horde civil war that is also 99% certain to be about the Warchief being a puppet dancing on tentacle strings) and it's Azshara + N'zoth city, population us. That means more than half of the xpack's lifespan will be about Old Gods or their servants, after we already got G'huun and the various going-ons in Stormheim as appetizers.

So basically like Cata where we start with a faction war and a bit of Old Gods but end up knee-deck in the latter because it makes for more epic storylines and raids.
    Blizzard said the biggest warfront is yet to come so at least 50% of 8.3 will be about Sylvanas and the faction war, alliance + rebels vs Sylvanas and loyalists. It would really suck if N´zoth would die so quickly in a patch that´s only 50% about him. And Argus could easily have been an expansion of its own.

Then they will make up more shit as they go, whether it will be Naaru going full retard or Legion resurging or what not, just like they made up Void Lords.

There is easily 4 expansions worth of shit just from Void Lord arc and all the loose ends like Lich King 2.0, Murozond, Elemental Lords or said Naaru/Lightbound and what not.
    why would the void lords get 4 expansions and N´zorth just die the patch after he is freed in an expansion not even centered about him but...? Obviously this is the Great Sea expansion everyone wanted disguised as faction war expansion, not and Old God expansion. And I´m certainly not interested in WLk v2.0 or Legion v2.0 or other shitty filler expansions they throw at us. Blizzard has 2 great expansion concepts left, Old Gods and Void Lords so if we kill him now that´s 2 years enjoyment of WoW less (minus the 1 month I´ll enjoy 8.3 or so)

Puhlease... it's clear as day that he's biting the dust in 8.3 like Sargeras did. It's endgame for the whole Old Gods crap and Xal is setting up next expansion with Shadowguard, Karesh and Void. That or Sylvanas doing same, pretty much.

All in all Old Gods are not really much of a threat, they are merely minions of Void Lords, so N'zoth will be taken out in a patch and gate to Void Lords expansion will be opened.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck, each and every Old God so far died in one patch and I don't see why N'zoth will be so different, especially after Sargeras, so 8.3 is Nyalotha and us gutting Nzoth. The end.
    So every Old God died in one patch? That´s exactly why they should give N´zorth his own expansion. The Old Gods are big enough to have at least one expansion of their own so it would suck if they all died in 1 patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    So every Old God died in one patch? That´s exactly why they should give N´zorth his own expansion. The Old Gods are big enough to have at least one expansion of their own so it would suck if they all died in 1 patch.
    Are they though? There really isn't much substance to the actual old gods though. Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria were old god expansions and they both required "more" then straight up old god. We don't really need an entire expansion dedicated just to one old god even more so when it is a naga/underwater theme. All old god stories except for C'thun have been introduced as one part of an expansion. It really does work best that way.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Blizzard said the biggest warfront is yet to come so at least 50% of 8.3 will be about Sylvanas and the faction war, alliance + rebels vs Sylvanas and loyalists. It would really suck if N´zoth would die so quickly in a patch that´s only 50% about him. And Argus could easily have been an expansion of its own.
    But we assume the Warfront is a playable side against another, which it might not be. Perhaps the WF is the biggest yet because they only have to make one version of it. And I doubt they will have the Horde loyalists (which will make up, what, 50% of one faction at most) square off against the entire rest of the playerbase when it comes to queues and contributions, to say nothing of the fact that not everyone will have done the questline(s) solidifying these story choices nor will be 100% committed to one path.

7+ Year Old Account
    i think it will be a "filler" before black empire/big old god shenanigans

my bets are:
    1- Dragon expansion, hopefully with Cromatus or Murozond.
    2- Draenor army of light zealots with Yrel
    3- Another world threat

All expansions are "Old god Expansions" in some way or another.

Lich King 2.0 with Sylvanas.

I think we will be dealing with Death and the Shadowlands next xpack. After WoD Blizzard is too scared of having the main villain be one kind of thing, which honestly is just an artificial limit on their part. They pick a theme each xpack and focus on the theme too hard.
    This xpack is going to end with Sylvannas running away and co-opting the Scourge, maybe with the help of Helya. We are going to continue to be told about how Sylvannas and her story is not like Garrosh arc. We are going to "defeat death", which then leaves us open to a major attack from the void. Hopefully after that Blizzard will think of a new storyline that is not Theramore -> MoP -> WoD -> Legion.
    Military skirmishes can happen without full blown wars. Hell, military skirmishes don't even have to be between Alliance and Horde. We could do another Timeless Isle/Pre-WotLK Scourge event, where players can join a third faction and attack others. Or you know, do something like Sholazar Basin and have players pick factions and then have PvP and faction story conflicts arise from that. The Horde vs Alliance conflict is just so awful, especially after the events of WC3, the Orcs learned that genocide is bad, the humans, elves and dwarves learned that the Orcs weren't all bad, and everyone learned that there is enough room to share. Everyone also learned that shooting first and asking later is a good method to get yourself killed later down the line.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

10+ Year Old Account
    why would the void lords get 4 expansions and N´zorth just die the patch after he is freed in an expansion not even centered about him but...? Obviously this is the Great Sea expansion everyone wanted disguised as faction war expansion, not and Old God expansion. And I´m certainly not interested in WLk v2.0 or Legion v2.0 or other shitty filler expansions they throw at us. Blizzard has 2 great expansion concepts left, Old Gods and Void Lords so if we kill him now that´s 2 years enjoyment of WoW less (minus the 1 month I´ll enjoy 8.3 or so)
    Reading comprehension? Let my try this again then. Void Lords will be 1-2 expansions at most, the rest I mentioned has more than enough stuff for another couple expansions and Blizz can make lore up from nothing, just as MoP showed.

There are so many loose ends nowadays that there is easily enough stuff for 4 expansions already and I mentioned it all, so here you go again - Lightbound, Fascist Naaru, Void Lords, Murozond and Infinite Dragonflight, Lich King 2.0, Sylvanas, Death and Shadowlands, Sargeras/Pantheon. You name it - you have more than enough shit here even before Blizz will need to pop anything like MoP 2.0 with fresh new lore.

Heck - take BfA - we're like half expansion in and they are just now bringing only 1 specific big name and they have many of those in bag to use. They can drag it out for years.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are they though? There really isn't much substance to the actual old gods though. Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria were old god expansions and they both required "more" then straight up old god. We don't really need an entire expansion dedicated just to one old god even more so when it is a naga/underwater theme. All old god stories except for C'thun have been introduced as one part of an expansion. It really does work best that way.
    Of course 9.0 won´t be an entire expansions about Old Gods just like Legion also had other subjects as well. 9.0 will have plenty of other secondary content such as death or dragons. I just don´t see why something they just recently made up like the Void Lords or Shadowlands deserves it´s own expansion while something like the Old Gods doesnt.

But we assume the Warfront is a playable side against another, which it might not be. Perhaps the WF is the biggest yet because they only have to make one version of it. And I doubt they will have the Horde loyalists (which will make up, what, 50% of one faction at most) square off against the entire rest of the playerbase when it comes to queues and contributions, to say nothing of the fact that not everyone will have done the questline(s) solidifying these story choices nor will be 100% committed to one path.
    Still doesn´t change the fact that 8.3 will have plenty of faction war

Reading comprehension? Let my try this again then. Void Lords will be 1-2 expansions at most, the rest I mentioned has more than enough stuff for another couple expansions and Blizz can make lore up from nothing, just as MoP showed.

There are so many loose ends nowadays that there is easily enough stuff for 4 expansions already and I mentioned it all, so here you go again - Lightbound, Fascist Naaru, Void Lords, Murozond and Infinite Dragonflight, Lich King 2.0, Sylvanas, Death and Shadowlands, Sargeras/Pantheon. You name it - you have more than enough shit here even before Blizz will need to pop anything like MoP 2.0 with fresh new lore.

Heck - take BfA - we're like half expansion in and they are just now bringing only 1 specific big name and they have many of those in bag to use. They can drag it out for years.
    Yeah so 1-2 Void Lord expansions while N´zoth gets half a patch...
    And like I already said the rest is just filler expansions or WLK 2.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah so 1-2 Void Lord expansions while N´zoth gets half a patch...
    And like I already said the rest is just filler expansions or WLK 2.0
    Old Gods are fillers by themselves, not sure why people are pissing steam over them after we discovered they are nothing more than some minions of Void Lords. It's like fighting pawns really, same goes for Azshara - a pawn of a pawn really.

At this point something like Infinite Dragonflght is more interesting, simply because of mystery.

Assuming we don't kill N'zoth in the last patch of BfA, it's definitely heading in that way with Shadowlands/Death mixed in. No expansion is ever only one thing. Wrath featured Yogg-saron and Old God stuff too.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Old Gods are fillers by themselves, not sure why people are pissing steam over them after we discovered they are nothing more than some minions of Void Lords. It's like fighting pawns really, same goes for Azshara - a pawn of a pawn really.

At this point something like Infinite Dragonflght is more interesting, simply because of mystery.
    only because of the retcons
    and why would all those filler concepts you listed each get their own expansion why can't old gods get an own expansion then
    also we have been fighting pawns every expansion so far until Sargeras so I don't see a problem

The wow Writers willpull a GOT Season 8 . everything you think should happen , they will ignore
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

That's silly.
    When in the past have we ever had a "faction war" expansion turn into an old-god themed one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.