Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Number of Political Parties

So my country will go through elections this year.

We have 20 different candidates from different political parties.

We even have more than 20 different parties, but some of the presidential candidates were banned from postulating due to legal circumstances.

Each party has it's own agenda.

Do you find this excessive? How many political parties do you regard as being enough?
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2019-05-25 at 08:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So long you can form a powerful coalition to get things done, rather have a 100 than 2.

“Is it excessive?”

If you have to ask...

1 party is enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    We had 28 parties[out of the 81 that applied] last election, nothing new here.

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    1 party is enough.
    Bless Winnie the Pooh

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    As long as the party makes sense then why not?

no why would it be bad. People can vote whatever represents them better and they can then make coalitions to govern, which may take into account some policy from the minority parties.

Personally, I'd prefer 3 or more viable parties versus an established two. If I had a wish in the US, I would wish states would allow a ranked voting system. The problem in the US right now is that you feel forced to vote Democrat or Republican in order to have your vote "count" or matter, instead of voting for who you really want. You also run the risk of siphoning votes, as you'd prefer Candidate A or B but vote splitting ends up electing Candidate C. A ranked voting system would go a long way towards allowing 3rd parties to become established.

I suppose more to the OP's post, a ranked voting system may allow such a large field of political parties to exist without someone winning with 6% of the vote or something silly like that.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

More parties the better. As long as you have ranked choice voting that is.

I wish the US had more than right wing party and far right wing party to choose from.

Wish we had 4 in the US. Social issues and Government issues. It sucks that right now if I want small government I have to hate gays and women. So big government it is, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post

Bless Winnie the Pooh
    What? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    In general, the more the better. Just 2 parties, and you have a minority rule, which is not representative of the populace, at all.

What? xD
    Chinese president = Winnie the Pooh.

He's not fond of that comparison, banning Winnie the Pooh film because of it. And apparently number of other places, according to quick google search. What a snowflake.
    Last edited by Santti; 2019-05-25 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

5+ Year Old Account
    The guy called Escobar would get my vote.

He also appears to hold a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    In general, the more the better. Just 2 parties, and you have a minority rule, which is not representative of the populace, at all.
    2 parties implies majority rules. Any more than 2 parties and you have a minority rule.

1 party is enough.
    1 is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Haha, I was afraid I'd be the only one saying that.

But yes, you only need one party.
    Who get to be that party? What you mean is you only need "0 parties".

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Haha, I was afraid I'd be the only one saying that.

But yes, you only need one party.
    The most telling post you've ever made. Well that and your lament for the "wrong side" winning the Cold War.

What kind of cosmically fucked up political ideology longs for the Soviet Union? rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The most telling post you've ever made. Well that and your lament for the "wrong side" winning the Cold War.

What kind of cosmically fucked up political ideology longs for the Soviet Union? rofl.
    You seem like a sensible person (too emotionally invested at times, I’d say go rationality!). Why do you respond to this nutjob? He’s proven time and time again not only to be full of it (+sh) but he also has a habit of putting absolutely no effort in his posts (evident by him linking sources diagreeing with his arguments). In the end he’s his own worst enemy, the ussr regularly killed foreign communist because they argued that eventually they’d realize the whole ordeal was a sham and turn into fanatics against “fake communism”. Most communist today including our subject are already on that level, they want real communism, but don’t want to use real logic. There is a reason why they’re a dying breed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I am sure the way that works is the same as for us - you can have like 100 parties come up for election, but in the end to pass a party needs to gather some minimal % of votes, so that there won't be something silly like 1 guy getting into parliament of hundreds, which is pointless and can get messy.

On my end, I'd wish that blocking % would rise so that we will have like 5 big parties in and not the mess of 10+ currently.

And no, certainly not fucking one party. I don't need another China, Iran, Russia or Turkey here.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post

A lot of people do long for the old SU for the entirely rational reason that it provided them with free healthcare, free housing, and a living wage, things which the US has never managed to achieve. I am not a supporter of authoritarianism but the life of the vast majority of SU citizens was objectively better than those of poor americans.
    Last edited by wasrathal; 2019-05-26 at 10:58 AM.