View Poll Results: What are you willing to do to reduce climate change?

Voters
63. This poll is closed
  • Forego Fossil Fuels

5 7.94%
  • Infrastructure Upgrade

6 9.52%
  • Move Closer to Work

3 4.76%
  • Consume Less

8 12.70%
  • Be More Efficient

15 23.81%
  • Go Vegetarian

4 6.35%
  • Stop Cutting Down Trees

4 6.35%
  • Unplug devices

1 1.59%
  • Limit to One Child

9 14.29%
  • Switch to Alternative Fuels

8 12.70%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Doing these things already...

- don’t run my A/C as often and have it at a higher temp
    - turn lights and devices off when I’m not in the room
    - recycle
    - bought a hybrid car
    There's still a fair bit of issue regarding hybrid cars, they're more environmentally damaging than most cars.
    Simply because the fact that you have the lithium being taken from Canada, batteries being made in India and Mexico, the car being assembled in China and then shipped to the US.

The amount of actual pollution going on when it comes to just shipping far outweighs what you save by using a hybrid.

Nothing, I honestly don’t care and I don’t feel like pretending I do to look cool or whatever.

I do what I can, which is recycle...rest needs to be done through policies and research when it comes to fuel for transportations and energy for countries..

Could do with a world population reduction, so I'd go with one child.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a link that explains all this?
    https://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...-benefits2.htm

You can find more information readily available online with pretty minimal searching, the basic tl;dr of hybrid cars is that it's not really clean to produce, however if you're going to keep it between 10 - 25 years depending on what model/how it was produced etc, it'll eventually "pay out" and be overall cleaner than a conventional car over that timespan.
    You can basically thank humans being inherently greedy that we even have such a large amount of shipping in the first place, instead of actually placing hybrid/electric production near a readily available lithium and other rare metal source.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    What are you willing to do to reduce climate change?

Here's a list of ten things that will reduce climate change, pick the ones that you are willing, or you'd have your country, do to reduce climate change.

More explanation at this link https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ge/?redirect=1

(damn, forgot to check 'pick all that apply')
    where's the option for absolutely nothing?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    There's still a fair bit of issue regarding hybrid cars, they're more environmentally damaging than most cars.
    Simply because the fact that you have the lithium being taken from Canada, batteries being made in India and Mexico, the car being assembled in China and then shipped to the US.

The amount of actual pollution going on when it comes to just shipping far outweighs what you save by using a hybrid.
    The batteries also only last about 10 -12 years? So myself at least ( which I have a tendency to keep autos for a long time, 10+ years ) not as practical and they are expensive. The batteries.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The batteries also only last about 10 -12 years? So myself at least ( which I have a tendency to keep autos for a long time, 10+ years ) not as practical and they are expensive. The batteries.
    That and when it comes to territories with well below freezing point temperatures, battery life becomes a real issue.
    They don't really like the cold.

This article doesn’t explain what you were talking about, though... and only thing I could find online was discussing mining the actual lithium - nothing about shipping.
    I suppose I could've worded that more specifically, they are more environmentally damaging due to their production process.
    Basically, if you pull the lithium from.. let's say China, just to use an example.
    Fair few of the biggest manufacturers of batteries for automotive use, like Johnson Controls, Axeon, CATL etc have their manufacturing facilities located in places like India and other less well-off locations because it's cheaper for them.
    Then you suddenly have a production chain where the lithium and other rare metals is shipped from China, to India, then to whichever country is actually building the car, and later to the retailer. That is also not counting the fact that a lot of car manufacturers also buy metals from other countries to make the cars aswell.

Generally, shipping and transport is a majority of man-made automotive emissions, since they're unfortunately not too heavily regulated thanks to companies having inherently a lot of sway and power.

Nothing at all, I'm already low on the chart compare to those fucking hippies and Holywood stars with big limo, big Yukon and doing 50 plane trip per month

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Nothing at all, I'm already low on the chart compare to those fucking hippies and Holywood stars with big limo, big Yukon and doing 50 plane trip per month
    Yep and if they are really that concerned about climate change, why are not more building off the grid and riding to town in a horse pulled buggy?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

If I could tick more than one box, I would.

Went Vegan, moved closed to work to reduce travel/car use, have no kids (plan to have none either). Combo of these things is the best you can do to reduce and help out. Animal agriculture is the biggest problem with the easiest solution.

List is a little extreme. You can do a lot more simple things to drastically reduce your carbon footprint

- Use LEDs instead of incandescent light bulbs
    - Reduce food waste
    - Eat one meal without meat a day
    - Invest in a more energy efficient AC system

I’ll vote for the “green” party
    illuminati all over my body

Be more efficient, the municipality I live in already have mandatory trash sorting for the entire population so that burning the trash can be done in a more efficient way which leads to less incomplete combustion and such less CO2 is released at the recycling plants.

I don't own a car but I am interested in buying a more eco-friendly car once I get to a point where I will need one.

Beyond that I don't really do much else besides the obvious not leaving the lights on during daylight hours or whenever I am not home, or in the room, not letting appliances run on any sort of standby mode etc.

But generally I am cynical in the sense that I know whatever I do will have no impact whatsoever.

5+ Year Old Account
    I voted stop cutting down trees. I've never cut down a single tree anyway so I'm doing my part guys.

The rest is up to you.

P.S We need more children in the West, poor choice.

Out of curiosity, why is there not a "nothing" option?

Trying to get our Family down to 1 Car, and for that Car to be a Hybrid or EV.

But where we live, public transport is pathetic and doesn't suit shift workers so it's a struggle. Haven't found a solution that doens't involve moving... which we're considering.
    Beyond that, we try to reduce our plastic waste, most notably in the Kids Lunchboxes for school.
    All shops have removed plastic bags so that's automatic.

My carbon footprint is so low I can even throw batteries in the trash without feeling guilt.

10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as the celebrities and politicians calling for "Climate Action" give up their private jets, their multi-million dollar mansions and start practicing what they preach, THEN I'll start worrying about my mynute impact on the climate...
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK