View Poll Results: Is weight gain grounds for divorce?

Voters
188. This poll is closed
  • I met my significant other a certain way and I expect just that. YES its time to move on

93 49.47%
  • It doesn't make the slightest difference to me, my significant is fine any shape or size

95 50.53%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yes, but context is important. Is it a mutual thing? Did the other person let themselves go, too?

Either way it's a valid reason for a divorce, but frankly divorce doesn't need "valid reasons". Just the idea of it not working out is enough.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    First, don't use words you don't understand. Second, no, they don't. Read better.

No, I'm not. Your reading comprehension sucks.
    When I asked you to be more hypocritical, I didn't think you would take it as a challenge.

No, I'm not. Of course there's multiple forms of intimacy. But an intimate relationship is built upon a specific type of intimacy that includes sex. There is no rational reason to be in a monogamous, intimate relationship if there is no sex. Sure, one might make exceptions in the case of temporary impairment, but the notion that someone who doesn't stay with someone who can/will never have sex doesn't "love" them is blatant stupidity.
    And it is also not required for an intimate relationship with someone of that nature. Secondly, you can have different kinds of intimate relationships ... what you are talking about is the sexual kind of that.

And yes, if your entire reason for being with someone is to have sex, you don't love them ... you love having sex with them. That is something different. Love is a form of caring for someone and not everyone you care for you love.

Those comments seem to support my claim. "Love" is caring for someone. Nothing less, nothing more. The notion that it's some "special" thing beyond that concept is "Disney Princess" drivel. Additionally, not wanting to be with someone anymore, regardless of the reason, does not mean you don't care about ("love") them and anyone who believes that kind of nonsense is either delusional or an imbecile.
    You can care about someone but not love them. They aren't synonyms. My employer cares about my health and my extension me, but I wouldn't say my employer "loves" me. So, yeah, if my reading comprehension sucks ... yours defies description in how bad it is.

You may still care for the person, but you no longer love them. And if the weight alone caused you to no longer want to be with the person, that was never love in the first place.

Love is a dichotomy ... you either love them or you don't. Just because love has degrees doesn't mean it is any less of a dichotomy. For example, something is either red or it isn't. If I said bring me something is not red, and you brought me a blue toy or an orange ... both of those fall into the "Not red" category and would count as being "not red." It doesn't matter that one is blue and one is orange. Whether or not something is red or not is a dichotomy ... it may not be useful in all cases, but doesn't change that an object is either red or it isn't red.

You either love someone or not ... there is no state of in between love and non love. Just like there is no in between red and not red.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2019-05-26 at 11:17 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Hmm, love that is conditional like that isn't true love at all.
    "True Love" is a myth we tell children in fantacy stories. There comes a time when we have to grow up and see the world as it is.

Love is nothing more than chemicals in your brain. If your partner is makeing you unhappy and you feel like their weight has a big part to do with it, than that is more than enough reason to drop an ultimatum. You have to do what makes you happy in life.

OP just wanted to trigger the female population of mmo champion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Say you met your significant other and over time he or she let go of themselves...

Is that grounds for a divorce or at least an ultimatum?

Let me know.
    Anything can be. Your SO farting and stankin real bad could be grounds for divorce. Just like Low T men who can't get more than 3 pumps in before they explode. And guys with a 3 inch pecker erect.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    makes about as much sense as wanting a divorce because your partner isn't 28 years old anymore

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    And it is also not required for an intimate relationship with someone of that nature. Secondly, you can have different kinds of intimate relationships ... what you are talking about is the sexual kind of that.
    Given that intimacy can come in various forms, it's only logical that intimate relationships can too. We're talking specifically about the type of intimate relationship that includes sex (IE, Marriage/monogamy). If there is no sex, said relationship no longer qualifies as that type of intimate relationship, making your argument invalid and supporting my statement, "If you're not having sex, you're just friends".

And yes, if your entire reason for being with someone is to have sex, you don't love them ... you love having sex with them. That is something different.
    More fairy tale nonsense. I "love" my ex. We still bang one out once in awhile. But we understand that we're not compatible. She believes in the same fairy tale nonsense you're spouting and I've no problems telling her how stupid she is for it. That doesn't change the fact that we care about each other.

You can care about someone but not love them. They aren't synonyms. My employer cares about my health and my extension me, but I wouldn't say my employer "loves" me.
    To care for someone is to feel affection for them. To "love" someone is to feel affection for them. You can argue differences in degrees, but in the end, they're the same thing. You're trying to apply a special meaning to "love" that's nothing more than naive, make-believe nonsense.

Any reason, or even no reason, for not wanting be with someone anymore is perfectly valid. That does not mean that you don't "love" them. In fact, that type of logic is a form of manipulation employed by naive or controlling/possessive people who've no business being in a relationship.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2019-05-26 at 11:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Given that intimacy can come in various forms, it's only logical that intimate relationships can too. We're talking specifically about the type of intimate relationship that includes sex (IE, Marriage/monogamy). If there is no sex, said relationship no longer qualifies as that type of intimate relationship, making your argument invalid and supporting my statement, "If you're not having sex, you're just friends".
    That's not how it works.

More fairy tale nonsense. I "love" my ex. We still bang one out once in awhile. But we understand that we're not compatible. She believes in the same fairy tale nonsense you're spouting and I've no problems telling her how stupid she is for it. That doesn't change the fact that we care about each other.
    Yeah, nope. Just claiming you "love" someone doesn't mean you do. Again, I am not saying you don't care about her ... you clearly don't love her.

To care for someone is to feel affection for them. To "love" someone is to feel affection for them. You can argue differences in degrees, but in the end, they're the same thing. You're trying to apply a special meaning to "love" that's nothing more than naive, make-believe nonsense.
    They are literally not. You can care for someone you don't love. You claimed I used words I didn't understand, that's literally your entire argument based on you conflating intimacy with sex, caring with love, etc ... you claim you aren't not but a blind deaf comatose lobotomy patient could see you are wrong.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    That's not how it works.
    That's not how you think it works.

Yeah, nope. Just claiming you "love" someone doesn't mean you do.
    Sure it does. The opinion of some forum random is irrelevant.

They are literally not.
    They both describe affection, literally.

You can care for someone you don't love.
    You can care for people to different degrees, obviously. But "love" is a romanticized, bullshit term.

You claimed I used words I didn't understand, that's literally your entire argument based on you conflating intimacy with sex, caring with love, etc
    I didn't conflate anything. You misrepresented what I was saying, which was in the context of intimate relationships that involve sex, eg, marriage/monogamy. Other types of intimacy and/or relationships are irrelevant.

but a blind deaf comatose lobotomy patient could see you are wrong.
    This is an example of why some people won't take you seriously. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Say you met your significant other and over time he or she let go of themselves...

Is that grounds for a divorce or at least an ultimatum?

Let me know.
    Stop excusing failure to take care of yourselves. If you can't care for your own body, how can you be expected to take care of another generation?

Alternative: Is it muscle? Cuz that's pretty hot, fam.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Fatties can hit the road, its good exercise. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    as soon as they need help walking, i suppose so.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's not how you think it works.

Sure it does. The opinion of some forum random is irrelevant.
    Yeah, I can pretty much discount your entire argument just with quoting you here.

They both describe affection, literally.
    Yes, but doesn't mean they are full synonyms. Again, my employer cares for me ... they don't love me.

You can care for people to different degrees, obviously. But "love" is a romanticized, bullshit term.
    Love is romanticized term ... you don't say? Of course it is. But doesn't make it bullshit. Love is a degree of caring.

I didn't conflate anything. You misrepresented what I was saying, which was in the context of intimate relationships that involve sex, eg, marriage/monogamy. Other types of intimacy and/or relationships are irrelevant.
    Neither marriage nor other monogamous relationships require sex. Your stance is "If you aren't having sex, you're just friends." This is literally false and can only be true if you are conflating sex with intimacy. Some people don't choose to have sex with their parents for various reasons, your stance belittles them.

This is an example of why some people won't take you seriously. Grow up.
    Did me quoting a video game piss you off or something? If people can't take me seriously because I point out they are being silly is kind of sad.
    –The Sith Code

I didnt marry a fat woman, Im not attracted to fat women, I will not be married to a fat woman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    makes about as much sense as wanting a divorce because your partner isn't 28 years old anymore
    Aging is inevitable turning into a fat tub isnt. Its a choice.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I didnt marry a fat woman, Im not attracted to fat women, I will not be married to a fat woman.

- - - Updated - - -

Aging is inevitable turning into a fat tub isnt. Its a choice.
    If only there was a factor in aging that could cause weight gain.
    –The Sith Code

If only there was a factor in aging that could cause weight gain.
    Aging does NOT mean you MUST get fat. If that is what you are suggesting.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Aging does NOT mean you MUST get fat. If that is what you are suggesting.
    Depends where you draw the line in "fat." Also, I wasn't implying "must" I was merely implying it happens frequently. I see more elderly people who have extra weight which some people will label "fat" than those that are looking like they did when they were in their twenties. People gain weight for a variety of reasons, aging being one. Children being another. There is a reason for the Mom and Dad bod meme.

I can see reasons where weight gain plays a role in someone leaving a person, it could be the straw that breaks the camel back so to speak. It being the only reason? Yeah, that is nonsense.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but doesn't mean they are full synonyms.
    And? I never said they were.

Love is romanticized term ... you don't say? Of course it is.
    IE, Disney princess nonsense.

Love is a degree of caring.
    That's literally what I've been saying.

Neither marriage nor other monogamous relationships require sex.
    Relationships don't "require" anything, the people in them do. People can be together for whatever reason they want. They can also not be together for whatever reason they want. Their desire to be together, or not, does not dictate the status of their "love". How they feel does.

Your stance is "If you aren't having sex, you're just friends."
    It's not a "stance", it's a satirical observation.

This is literally false and can only be true if you are conflating sex with intimacy.
    Well, it's not literally true, obviously, but I'm not conflating anything. Try again.

Some people don't choose to have sex with their parents for various reasons, your stance belittles them.
    I'll assume you mean "partners". If someone can't/won't have sex with their partner, that's fine. But their partner has the right to decide whether or not that's acceptable to them. Their decision does not dictate whether they truly "love" them. The only thing that dictates whether someone loves their partner is their feelings toward them. Your claim that leaving someone for whatever reason means that you don't really "love" them is a form of manipulation used by controlling partners. You can "love" someone and choose to leave, regardless of the reason. Anyone who believes otherwise has no clue what they're talking about. Period.

Did me quoting a video game piss you off or something?
    Was it a children's game?

7+ Year Old Account
    And? I never said they were.
    Not directly no, but it is the clear implications of your stance.

That's literally what I've been saying.
    It is quite literally not ... have you even read what you post?

Relationships don't "require" anything, the people in them do. People can be together for whatever reason they want. They can also not be together for whatever reason they want. Their desire to be together, or not, does not dictate the status of their "love". How they feel does.
    No, it is quite clear someone saying they love someone on the first date is mistaken ... so it is more than just what they individually feel.

It's not a "stance", it's a satirical observation.
    Again, evidence you aren't even paying attention to your own arguments.

Well, it's not literally true, obviously, but I'm not conflating anything. Try again.
    You can deny reality all you want, doesn't make you correct.

If someone can't/won't have sex with their partner, that's fine. But their partner has the right to decide whether or not that's acceptable to them. Their decision does not dictate whether they truly "love" them. The only thing that dictates whether someone loves their partner is their feelings toward them. Your claim that leaving someone for whatever reason means that you don't really "love" them is a form of manipulation used by controlling partners. You can "love" someone and choose to leave, regardless of the reason. Anyone who believes otherwise has no clue what they're talking about. Period.
    Please go back and read my posts, you clearly have yet to. My point is not that someone will cease loving someone they left but rather that if you cease wanting to be with someone because of a single aspect, you didn't love them. There is a difference you seem to either being intentionally avoiding or just ignoring out of not paying attention. This topic is about specifically, if your partner gains weight ... is it justifiably to leave them? That's it ... not gain weight because they were lazy, not gain weight for any reason. Just the simple fact of gaining weight. It does even states "got fat" just gained weight.

If you dumped someone because they gained weight and that reason alone ... you never actually loved them. You could think you loved them, you could have felt you loved them ... but the reality is you didn't. If they gained weight, were lazy, didn't have a job, and had no desire to improve themselves and you left them, it is still possible you love them. These two reasons are not the same.

Was it a children's game?
    Do you consider The Old Republic a children's game? If you literally just googled what I wrote, it is like one of if not the first responses.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2019-05-27 at 01:01 AM.
    –The Sith Code

if you get married for looks and looks alone, you probably shouldnt get married. ever.