I don't think Dark Ranger is really unique enough to stand next to Hunters. It might work as a class kit(i.e. cosmetic Total Conversion), but i don't think it would really suffice as an independent class.

IMO that's the route they should go anyway. Instead of a new class, give us a bunch of class kits to customise the existing ones.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaron View Post
    I am not really convinced of Dark Ranger 'cause it is some kind of "Sylvanas signature class" and I don't think Sylvanas will be around at the end of BfA (not necessarily dead, but gone from the horde). It's also too close to huntersand I don't see, how alliance should gain access to Dark Rangers.
    I also can't imagine how tinker should work (gameplaywise) and it would be a goblin/gnome thing, but I don't see blizzard restricting a class to two races (like demonhunter) ever again.
    I am really confused what class we are going to get (IF we get one) next expac.
    My basis for Dark Ranger is just a simple "if you had to pick one of the two", it's not based on anything concrete, just a wish that if I had to choose between some engineer-y based class vs ranger class I'd go with a ranger one cuz I'm absolutely not a fun of tech-y classes UNLESS like I said it's Iron-Man like

But idk either what class we could get and I think we're really unsure this time because Blizzard's lately been keeping stuff under wraps really well and seeding in lots of possibilities.

It's really hard to say for instance exactly how BfA will end, what exactly will happen to Sylvanas? At best we can just guess she won't be leading the Horde anymore but who even knows in that regard? We have no clue what's even happening in 8.3 whereas I think even before 7.2 we knew we were going to Argus in the last major patch of Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I don't think Dark Ranger is really unique enough to stand next to Hunters. It might work as a class kit(i.e. cosmetic Total Conversion), but i don't think it would really suffice as an independent class.

IMO that's the route they should go anyway. Instead of a new class, give us a bunch of class kits to customise the existing ones.
    I'd love class kits honestly, but honestly my want is Dark Ranger is literally to have Rangers like Alleria/Sylvanas/Vereesa/Aragorn where they're more a mix of a Hunter/Rogue rather than the archetypical pet-based Archers. But as I explain earlier it's just a silly want.

And no I don't get that gameplay feeling from the existing Hunter because inb4 someone comes in and says just play MM Hunter or some dumb shit like that. MM Hunter feels more like a call of duty sniper with a bow. I'm thinking more along the lines of a mix of melee/range in one spec almost like how Surv spec does it but have the major focus more on ranged with a bow than melee. and NO PET!

But anyways digressing majorly lmao. Class kits would be something awesome, I could at least stomach the current Hunter if I could play it more like a Night Elf Moon Priestess aka Tyrande type character.

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    And no I don't get that gameplay feeling from the existing Hunter because inb4 someone comes in and says just play MM Hunter or some dumb shit like that. MM Hunter feels more like a call of duty sniper with a bow. I'm thinking more along the lines of a mix of melee/range in one spec almost like how Surv spec does it but have the major focus more on ranged with a bow than melee. and NO PET!
    I don't think a ranged/melee-mix like that could work in the game paradigm of WoW. You'd have to build the game around people constantly switching range.

I think the class kit idea is something that should be brought more to Blizzard's attention, but as i'm EU and BlizzCon is neither my price range nor something i can easily get to, i'm a bit hamstrung on that.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a ranged/melee-mix like that could work in the game paradigm of WoW. You'd have to build the game around people constantly switching range.
    You never know! Surv hunter does at times use ranged abilities but is still mainly melee.

Like how this guy weaves when playing Surv Hunter:

I'm thinking of a reverse of that, melee abilities at times but mainly ranged. Why would a ranged want to go in melee instead of always staying range? I'd say it could be to set up a powerful debuff combo to be executed with a ranged ability. It's just a playstyle, kind of like how Surv Hunter out-ranges at time to stay away from melee but also sets up melee dmg combos with the traps.

It would definitely take some work to execute well, but I think its a niche not filled by any class in WoW currently. Often we just see melee heavy specs try to create distance to avoid dmg or utilizing a few ranged abilities to keep someone from getting away.

I think the class kit idea is something that should be brought more to Blizzard's attention, but as i'm EU and BlizzCon is neither my price range nor something i can easily get to, i'm a bit hamstrung on that.
    I can't remember correctly if it happened or not but I thought at one Blizzcon they were asked something like this and they gave a bs answer like the spell effects for each class are part of their identity and they're adverse to changing that. But I always find that to be a bs answer because you can still create unique class kits while keeping it a "Paladin" or "Hunter" or "Rogue" or "Mage" identity imo.

I'm thinking of a reverse of that, melee abilities at times but mainly ranged. Why would a ranged want to go in melee instead of always staying range? I'd say it could be to set up a powerful debuff combo to be executed with a ranged ability. It's just a playstyle, kind of like how Surv Hunter out-ranges at time to stay away from melee but also sets up melee dmg combos with the traps.

It would definitely take some work to execute well, but I think its a niche not filled by any class in WoW currently. Often we just see melee heavy specs try to create distance to avoid dmg or utilizing a few ranged abilities to keep someone from getting away.
    The problem is that giving a melee a ranged skill or two that are mostly utility is a lot safer than giving a range melee abilities. As a range, you often don't want to go into melee if you don't have too, and anybody who has to go into melee as part of their rotation basically has to be tagged as melee so they don't get targeted by range-only boss abilities and blow the melee camp up.

It would also be unappealing to raid-leaders to have somebody constantly bob about like that.

5+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that giving a melee a ranged skill or two that are mostly utility is a lot safer than giving a range melee abilities. As a range, you often don't want to go into melee if you don't have too, and anybody who has to go into melee as part of their rotation basically has to be tagged as melee so they don't get targeted by range-only boss abilities and blow the melee camp up.

It would also be unappealing to raid-leaders to have somebody constantly bob about like that.
    I mean to be fair I don't think Surv Hunters in raids are constantly bobbing in and out like during the PvP video. The hybrid I'm suggesting could stay ranged during raids. I just think the opposite type of playstyle I'm suggesting isn't served currently by the game and it'd be neat if it was.

I mean to be fair I don't think Surv Hunters in raids are constantly bobbing in and out like during the PvP video. The hybrid I'm suggesting could stay ranged during raids. I just think the opposite type of playstyle I'm suggesting isn't served currently by the game and it'd be neat if it was.
    And i'm saying the playstyle isn't supported for a reason. If you can do everything of import from range, you have little incentive to get yourself somewhere a melee can hit you. That requires no special effort on Blizzard's part, that's just a natural result.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    So what you're basically suggesting is the Red Mage from FFXIV?

You cast spells from range to fill a meter and once that meter is full you "charge in" for a massive melee combo of damage before "disengaging" out again to start your ranged rotation again.
    Huh, wasn't thinking quite that way. More like do a small bit of melee for a massive ranged damage combo setup. Or basically like the elven rangers shown here in the Hobbit river scene:

Or heck even how Sylvanas goes between archery and melee here:

Those are imo actual Ranger style gameplay that's missing from the current Hunter. But as I said I do think it'd be a challenge to get that into WoW's style of gameplay mechanics.

I'm not convinced we will get a new class next expansion.

Rather I think this should be a selling point of the next expansion:

"REVAMPED TALENT TREES AND CLASS DESIGN."

They couldn't even come up with a third spec for Demon Hunters. They can't even come up with new talent rows and they've basically turned every spec into it's own little mini-class by removing almost all shared abilities across specs.

If we get Tinkers - will it have 3 specs? Tank/DD/Heal? They seem to have run out of ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

So what you're basically suggesting is the Red Mage from FFXIV?

You cast spells from range to fill a meter and once that meter is full you "charge in" for a massive melee combo of damage before "disengaging" out again to start your ranged rotation again.
    Theres a revamp every expansion. Why would it be a selling point now? I'd prefer the new class honestly.

5+ Year Old Account
    And i'm saying the playstyle isn't supported for a reason. If you can do everything of import from range, you have little incentive to get yourself somewhere a melee can hit you. That requires no special effort on Blizzard's part, that's just a natural result.
    Your original point was for raids that playstyle would be hazardous group coordination but you weren't able to refute that Surv Hunters in raids aren't necessarily having to bob and weave in raids. We see that isn't required for Surv Hunters to do in raids, they can just stay melee.

But the game itself allows for that playstyle of bobbing and weaving with a focus on melee. I am merely suggesting a playstyle similar to that with a focus on ranged. And then in raids they can just stay ranged.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not convinced we will get a new class next expansion.

Rather I think this should be a selling point of the next expansion:

"REVAMPED TALENT TREES AND CLASS DESIGN."
    How then would you take to the naysayers who would call such a move a cop out, similar to how many people called updating all the Vanilla and BC Playable Character Models a cop out due to it not being a new race?

Because I'm pretty sure this is exactly what would happen if they announced revamped trees & design rather than a new class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still of the opinion any new class IMO wouldn't really help the game short of a really good selling point(Same with races).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

*puts circus music on* And here are we again, dear ladies and gentleman. Enjoy the fun ride of ridiculous nonsense by Crowz.

10+ Year Old Account

They promised Nazjatar wouldn't just be another Argus. But it is exactly that - copy + paste.
    what makes you say this
    ill probably be infracted for this post

I think June 25.
    Mage in <Strawberry Puppy Kisses> on Area 52

5+ Year Old Account
    World Quests + Rares + Chests + Rep Grinds. Time-gated story quests.

There is no new or exciting gameplay here. It is literally "more of the same".

The follower system that they promised would be "new and innovative" is just a re-hashed Legion follower system but they "level up" and get a few abilities. Hell - the Horde even get 3 Gilgoblins instead of unique followers.

Mechagon is an example of new-ish types of Sandbox gameplay.

Nazjatar is just Broken Shore/Argus version 3.0. You'll see many opinions from content creators and people on these forums saying "It feels exactly like Argus".
    I can say that Mechagon looks WAAAAY more interesting and original than Nazjatar. Which is a real shame, much like Argus... Those are places that could have carried an entire expansion, but instead we're seeing just half assed zones with um, less than exciting gameplay.

Offtopic: why do you get banned so often? I sympathize with most of your posts btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Your original point was for raids that playstyle would be hazardous group coordination but you weren't able to refute that Surv Hunters in raids aren't necessarily having to bob and weave in raids. We see that isn't required for Surv Hunters to do in raids, they can just stay melee.

But the game itself allows for that playstyle of bobbing and weaving with a focus on melee. I am merely suggesting a playstyle similar to that with a focus on ranged. And then in raids they can just stay ranged.
    Because those are different things. Allowing for and supporting something are far apart. If they "can just stay ranged" then there is no, in fact, cannot be an, incentive to go into melee in the first place, which, among other things, means that your "massive damage combos" cannot exist. If they did, you could not just stay ranged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mechagon has a different design then Nazjatar, and as far as I know those towers they mention in Nazjatar werent in Argus so.....no not like Argus(Although I prefer a PVE version of those towers but I digress). Argus still suffered from the same thing Broken Shore did(Not talking about the very....weird timegated questline it has, if it could be called that). Which really suffers from how World quests and or Dailies suffered from, once they're done they're done.

I've made that criticism before but I'm not gonna rag on Blizzard over and over. I still enjoy World Quests(When they are there) but some days aren't consistent and some might only have 3.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Please stop using the word "naysayers". It's ridiculous and pathetic.

Class Design is fucking awful in WoW right now. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wasn't a full blown addict in shining white armour who doesn't share this sentiment.
    So using naysayers is pathetic and ridiculous, but using the term white-knights and similar is totally cool

5+ Year Old Account
    Because those are different things. Allowing for and supporting something are far apart. If they "can just stay ranged" then there is no, in fact, cannot be an, incentive to go into melee in the first place, which, among other things, means that your "massive damage combos" cannot exist. If they did, you could not just stay ranged.
    I'm not sure this point is supported. There's many classes in the game that vary with how they play in PvE vs PvP, Surv Hunter is just one example but Mages are another. In PvP Mages mainly kite but use some opportunities to let spells off closer to the target such as novas or blinking way past someone. Yet in Raids Mages ofc stay ranged.

I think I wasn't explaining myself clearly enough, but basically it would be cool to have basically the opposite of how a Surv Hunter plays, more ranged focus with some melee capabilities. Just as a Surv Hunter is more melee focused with some ranged abilities.

If you don't think it works then sure. But the game already does allow that sort of playstyle, just not in the thematics of a Ranger.