Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What singular invention do you think will last forever?

What singular invention do you think will last forever or at least the next few hundred or thousand years?
    "By Singular Meaning a single invention as opposed to say the internet, or the computer, which is less of a singular idea"

Personally I am going with the toothbrush, honestly it's one of the most awesome inventions ever created, helps keep your mouth clean and fresh breath. I love my toothbrush personally, and it's one of those things, I really need to have with me, If I was on that Naked and Afraid or something, it is for sure one item I'd like to have.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Toothbrushes have already been pushed though out by more advancements like the water flossing toothbrushes.

Do you put that in the same category as toothbrushes or does that count as too different?

I would say toilet paper personally but that also have water cleaning alternatives.

So...bread I guess?
    Or if food doesn't count, a hairbrush. I don't think there's anything that's replaced hairbrushes that much yet.

We will eventually master biology to the point where we can clone new bodies for ourselves at little to no cost. At that point, you would wear a new body every day (or several times a day) and the toothbrush is meaningless.

A rough timeline of human history:

2020s: Solar power replaces fossil fuels.
    2030s: Robots begin to replace most jobs.
    2040s: A cure for aging.
    2050s: true sci-fi quality robots that walk around and do everything for you.
    2060s: the matrix / the oasis becomes a reality in the sense of full-immersion VR.
    2070s: Reversing aging or some sort of clone technology and mind transference.
    2080s: all human minds can be uploaded into some massive computer mainframe.

We're not even to 2100 and life has totally been transformed here. I would question if the toothbrush makes it to 2100.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-05-27 at 05:04 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Interesting that the first two posts picked brushes.

Personally, I think the electric light will last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Interesting that the first two posts picked brushes.

Personally, I think the electric light will last forever.
    I mean, he's not that off about brushes! It was a good start.

Also too tired and tipsy to think past brush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Toothbrushes have already been pushed though out by more advancements like the water flossing toothbrushes.

Do you put that in the same category as toothbrushes or does that count as too different?

I would say toilet paper personally but that also have water cleaning alternatives.

So...bread I guess?
    Or if food doesn't count, a hairbrush. I don't think there's anything that's replaced hairbrushes that much yet.
    Sure food counts, although, the way things seem to be headed, I don't think Bread is going to last.

As for toilet paper, I am guessing with paper and prices, bidet might actually take over.

However the toothbrush, you really can't beat it, even with high priced advancements and what not everyone I've known that made the investment still owns a toothbrush, and when traveling or in a pinch, a toothbrush is something you can carry with you.

Especially if you don't like the feeling of sweaters on your teeth after a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    The wheel.
    I was going to say this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Sure food counts, although, the way things seem to be headed, I don't think Bread is going to last.

As for toilet paper, I am guessing with paper and prices, bidet might actually take over.

However the toothbrush, you really can't beat it, even with high priced advancements and what not everyone I've known that made the investment still owns a toothbrush, and when traveling or in a pinch, a toothbrush is something you can carry with you.

Especially if you don't like the feeling of sweaters on your teeth after a meal.
    I'm still gonna stick with bread. It's far too staple to many simple meals, and you can pry it from my dead rotten hands.

And fair enough on that, but I still think hairbrushes stand a better chance. And are typically more carried on people.

Coffee, beer, whiskey, dieselburnt meat and heavy metal.
    oh, and sunglasses!

Once we stop consuming those we arent human anymore xD
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm still gonna stick with bread. It's far too staple to many simple meals, and you can pry it from my dead rotten hands.

And fair enough on that, but I still think hairbrushes stand a better chance. And are typically more carried on people.
    Hahaha I'll vote no on bread based on recent culinary and dietary trends but hair brush for sure is a winner.

The written word is an invention that will last forever.

alcohol.

Also I don't know if its considered an invention, but music, or really the arts in general.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Duct tapes(or similar tapes) we use that stuff everywhere including outer space

On a more serious note.
    I think theres a bunch of basic electrical components such as switches, resistances, capacitators will remain pretty much forever.
    The same for hydraulic and pneumatic units. We will always have need for valves, cylinders and pumps.

Motors. We will probobly always have need for motors to transform electricity (or fuel) into kinetic energy.
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2019-05-27 at 05:21 AM.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Anal beads
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    The written word is an invention that will last forever.
    Almost wonder if that is a singular invention though. For example without someone to write too, what is the written word going to mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    alcohol.

Also I don't know if its considered an invention, but music, or really the arts in general.
    Ah not really, I mean I suppose someone could make an argument bur alcohol is a process realized in a variety of ways, so alcohol in and of itself, I think is hard to really call much of an invention, much less singular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who the hell uses a hairbrush? Seriously?

If we're talking of timelines that could go into the potential destruction of civilization, then I would have to say pants/bottoms/underwear, or at least one layer of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Who the hell uses a hairbrush? Seriously?
    Uh...n.. Not bald people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    On a more serious note.
    I think theres a bunch of basic electrical components such as switches, resistances, capacitators.
    The same for hydraulic and pneumatic units. We will always have need for valves, cylinders and pumps.

Motors. We will probobly always have need for motors to transform electricity (or fuel) into kinetic energy.
    I'm betting there is also an argument that could disqualify I would for sure give this the * on the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    Anal beads
    As in just beads, because I am sure plenty of erotic toys have been around before and since.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    We will eventually master biology to the point where we can clone new bodies for ourselves at little to no cost. At that point, you would wear a new body every day (or several times a day) and the toothbrush is meaningless.

A rough timeline of human history:

2020s: Solar power replaces fossil fuels.
    2030s: Robots begin to replace most jobs.
    2040s: A cure for aging.
    2050s: true sci-fi quality robots that walk around and do everything for you.
    2060s: the matrix / the oasis becomes a reality in the sense of full-immersion VR.
    2070s: Reversing aging or some sort of clone technology and mind transference.
    2080s: all human minds can be uploaded into some massive computer mainframe.

We're not even to 2100 and life has totally been transformed here. I would question if the toothbrush makes it to 2100.

I think you messed up your 0's there if you think solar power will replace fossil fuels in the next 10 years.