10+ Year Old Account

Posting timer for threads

Hey @chaud @Tziva,

quick question here.

Would it be useful/helpful to increase a posting timer on threads to avoid a sudden wave of them appearing from the Spam posting accounts?

Maybe one thread every 5/10 minutes, or have the timer decrease following the amount of posts you have?

I would that give us the same issue we end up talking about, which is luring them into other threads with spammy posts?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

They just have to block new users from creating new threads for a week after subscribing
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

It'd be nice if there was a way to report an account, instead of individual threads they spam.

Does seem silly that these spam bots can go for hours without anyone taking action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    They just have to block new users from creating new threads for a week after subscribing
    That would just push spammers into threads and post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kichigaijin View Post
    It'd be nice if there was a way to report an account, instead of individual threads they spam.
    When you report the thread/post, you are technically reporting the account. Every moderator can shut down a spam account, but they aren't permitted to handle or delete threads in sections that aren't theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    Does seem silly that these spam bots can go for hours without anyone taking action.
    Hence I enquire. Think 100+ posts is a little too high to permit a spammer.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That would just push spammers into threads and post.
    If that is the case, your suggestion will do the exact same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    If that is the case, your suggestion will do the exact same thing.
    Hence I ask if it would be as high a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Hence I ask if it would be as high a threat.
    Probably yes. Although I don't think your idea, or the idea of only being able to create threads after a certain amount of posts, will move the spammers to post inside threads. I think they are more likely to move on to a different website in those cases.

A 6 hour cooldown on posting threads would be fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I keep saying that they should actually have the moderators manually approve new accounts. But lets face it, them doing anything other than handing out infractions whenever their feefees get hurt (and in turn causing posters to just say fuck the rules and make burner accounts to just shit post over and over) is beyond anything they're capable of.
    Thank you. I would have said the same thing but I'd just get another infraction for it.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I keep saying that they should actually have the moderators manually approve new accounts. But lets face it, them doing anything other than handing out infractions whenever their feefees get hurt (and in turn causing posters to just say fuck the rules and make burner accounts to just shit post over and over) is beyond anything they're capable of.
    As a previous moderator, I can almost believe it would be too much work for a volunteer to approve manually - especially since some spam accounts has names almost like normal posting accounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Probably yes. Although I don't think your idea, or the idea of only being able to create threads after a certain amount of posts, will move the spammers to post inside threads. I think they are more likely to move on to a different website in those cases.
    Will, if they were to move on, sure, no loss for us.

- - - Updated - - -

What about a grace period?

The first hour you cannot post? This would though be counter productive vs. genuine posting but another thought.

Should limit posting new threads period. I mean some people here have like 30k posts and do nothing but what pops up on breaking news feeds as fast as possible and don't even get involved with the conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    As noted in many prior threads: anything that restricts spammers from making new threads instead encourages them to make their posts within existing threads which makes them much, much harder to track down.

As far as timer for posting in general even outside of thread creation, chaud will have to address that. I have nothing to do with site development; that's exclusively him. (it being a one man show is also a reason why we're not able to roll out new features that aren't priorities). He's aware of this thread so consider the idea passed on.

For future reference, please do not use the mention feature to summon people to a thread they are not currently participating in. The point of the system is to notify people to responses to their posts within an ongoing discussion. Additionally, if your message is directed to a specific person, a private message is probably more appropriate than creating a whole thread and @ing them.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |