Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you plan to main Warlock in Classic?

Hey.

I've been thinking about it and Vanilla/classic Warlock seem to have A LOT of Small convenience for the harsh Vanilla world, Stuff like Tank pet, Health stone, Life tab, drain life, Soul stone and Summoning stone seems to be very useful in Classic, Considering those things pretty much removes the need for food and drinks.

Just wondering what you all think, Will you main Warlock in Classic as well? Or will you play other classes?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hey.

I've been thinking about it and Vanilla/classic Warlock seem to have A LOT of Small convenience for the harsh Vanilla world, Stuff like Tank pet, Health stone, Life tab, drain life, Soul stone and Summoning stone seems to be very useful in Classic, Considering those things pretty much removes the need for food and drinks.

Just wondering what you all think, Will you main Warlock in Classic as well? Or will you play other classes?
    "considering those things remove need for food and drink"
    yeah no, that is not true at all.

healthstone cost as much mana as hp, and lifetap the same.
    so while you could spend that mana ahead of time and use layer, it meant you got that advantage only when your going traveling, and your mana regens, but between combat over a long duration you will still need to drink and eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    "considering those things remove need for food and drink"
    yeah no, that is not true at all.

healthstone cost as much mana as hp, and lifetap the same.
    so while you could spend that mana ahead of time and use layer, it meant you got that advantage only when your going traveling, and your mana regens, but between combat over a long duration you will still need to drink and eat.
    Disagreed.
    Very early on in Vanilla, before they buffed Demo, you were correct. It was almost impossible to stay on top of health/mana with life taps, funnelling health into your pet, and regular mana pots.

But once the buffs went through, that completely changed. If you pulled correctly, and actually used your spells in the correct order, it was extremely easy to stay mana/health neutral. And if you levelled as Affliction, once you hit Dark Pact, you'd really struggle to need to eat/drink unless you really messed something up.

Most likely. I'm excited for demon summoning quests and the questing experience in general.

Too bad they didn't add the choice for high res models though. Removing the visual quality of life experience so that nostalgic-fiends can feel contempt is kind of a huge loss imo. Keep the classic features, but update the graphics to the world of today.
    My name is what makes me so manly.

Not sure if I'll play that much but when I do it'll definitely be as a lock. I raided as both a lock and a fury warrior in vanilla but I'm expecting there will be lots more of the latter this time round now that everyone knows how powerful they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    Not sure if I'll play that much but when I do it'll definitely be as a lock. I raided as both a lock and a fury warrior in vanilla but I'm expecting there will be lots more of the latter this time round now that everyone knows how powerful they can be.
    Got any advice for Warlock leveling or end game?

Got any advice for Warlock leveling or end game?
    For Warlock specific tips there are a number of servers that shall not be named that have pretty decent looking class guides on their forums (it's similar on all of them) and for leveling I don't think you can beat Joana's guides - the original author appears to be in the Beta and is updating them. Also, there's bound to be a working version of something like VanillaGuide if that's your thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    After level 32 you don't need food and drinks anymore when grinding XP. You just run around tab dot shit and by level 40-ish you are able to do it all day long.

That said - Warlocks are a pointless choice for Classic simply because Mages are plain better.

Both Warlocks and Mages were pretty great in PvP, but PvE - mages simply had an edge there with superior talents giving pretty amazing benefits like free 6% hit (which is damn huge) and threat reduction passively. Life Tap may sound great, but Warlocks were massively gimped by threat, so it ended up being a wash. Outside that - personal teleports were pretty huge time savers and QoL for a mage, while Warlock had to do annoying shit like shard grinding.

By the end of Vanilla PvE damage-wise Warlocks were decent, but Mages were superior there, although all got rolled by Warriors there.

Hell no. Fuck farming Soul Shards. Summoning 1 person at a time and individually making healthstones.

7+ Year Old Account
    Very much considering a warlock. You do rely heavily on consumes and the rotation is pretty bland. But once AQ40 rolls around you get access to some really nice gear. Never top spot, always burning consumes and shards. But much more straightforward than mage. Bit more relaxed in raid setting imo.

You also get a great spell kit for farming and world pvp/bgs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soul shard farming, that's a yikes and a no from me dawg.

I did level a gnome warlock back then (started 4 months before BC came) and loved it but this time i plan on playing on a PVP server a rogue instead. I played a twink rogue at 60 live for a while. It felt more rewarding both in PVP and PVE. And the rogue gearing options are better HL. Leveling will be a pain though.

Forsaken models in classic are as well not that bad so I will go for UD rogue.

Hey.

Ever since classic was announced, I've been testing some classes on some non-official version of classic, during which I leveled a few classes to 60, lock twice ( on different servers) , shaman, druid and mage.

Do note that I have leveled and played a lock at 60 during vanilla , so my analysis isn't solely based on non official.

What I've noticed from my recent experiences :

- Based on leveling speed alone locks are great but not the very best ( unlike my previous vanilla memory which was flawed), the actual order these days is :

Hunter > druid = lock ( druids would've been faster than locks if front shredding was allowed) > priest >= mage( if the mage can aoe farm at specific key points they will out level the priest, if not then priest outpaces mage due to no downtime) > shaman > rogue > pala ( pala would've outleveled rogues if /sit worked on reckoning stacks but that was removed) > warrior.

- Annoyances I had completely forgotten about vanilla locks while leveling:

*Voidwalker threat is dogshit , corruption + agony + immolate is all it can handle , wanding after that will pull aggro off VW, siphon life will pull aggro off VW with just 3 dots up ( not counting wanding), healing aggro from siphon life is big, dotting more than 1 mob with siphon will pull aggro off void. 3/3 improved voidwalker mandatory ( rush it).

*Voidwalker goes oom fast, especially when you slow down the pace of fights by attempting to stay within it's threat range, it can be annoying but the best way is to never have any VW ability onauto cast, manually using taunt 2-3 times consecutively per mob then letting it regen some mana before the next is optimal.

*VW will die fast if tanking more than 2 targets, even 2 can kill it fast depending on what you're fighting.

- The myth that locks don't have down time due to not needing to drink/eat is wrong, you can certainly sustain without eating much longer than other classes ( undead cannibalize helps tons) , but eventually you have to eat, this is especially true if you try to juggle mobs ( pet tanks one, you fear one and face tank the 3rd while dots roll on all ).

* Improved drain soul's mana regen is sub par unless you specifically stack spirit as main stat and avoid taking demonic embrace which gimps you in world pvp but to be fair, a human warlock with stacked spirit gear and no demonic embrace will effectively be able to avoid downtime and sustain infinitely using improved DS, in any other situation it's not worth picking up.

Overall, for life at 60 mage is the superior class when it comes to dps, even during naxx progression, though the difference is less noticeable after mid AQ , lock dps during MC is actually quite low.

Locks are decent at farming but nowhere near mages and to some extent hunters.

Mages are the best farming/gold making class, the best caster dps ( 2nd best after warriors), one of the best pvp classes and the most demanded dps for dungeons, which is why I will not be playing lock this time around, although I still regard locks as the best 1v1 class in the game and incredibly fun / diverse, amazing looking mount for vanilla standard and tier sets ,but farming shards is tedious and effectively requires you dedicate an entire bag slot and the class can feel tiresome at times.

Either way it's all about fun in classic so pick what you like. ^^
    Last edited by wholol; 2019-05-31 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey.

Not even fucking close.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    I did level a gnome warlock back then (started 4 months before BC came) and loved it but this time i plan on playing on a PVP server a rogue instead. I played a twink rogue at 60 live for a while. It felt more rewarding both in PVP and PVE. And the rogue gearing options are better HL. Leveling will be a pain though.

Forsaken models in classic are as well not that bad so I will go for UD rogue.
    UD is a good choice just for cannabalism racial.

I believe warlocks are one of the most fun classes in classic, but I've already played it before and I really don't want to get in the hassle of farming shards. honestly, that's the only thing holding me back from playing a warlock again.
    Edit Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise the Seeker View Post
    Most likely. I'm excited for demon summoning quests and the questing experience in general.

Too bad they didn't add the choice for high res models though. Removing the visual quality of life experience so that nostalgic-fiends can feel contempt is kind of a huge loss imo. Keep the classic features, but update the graphics to the world of today.
    Couldn't agree more. They should have kept both the updated models & several QoL changes. But oh well, neckbeards won this round I guess. We can't all have what we want

Quote Originally Posted by Elise the Seeker View Post
    Removing the visual quality of life experience
    it's amazing how stupid people think using big words will aid what amounts to their invalid opinion in a vain attempt to appear like a valid concern.

the fucking "updated" models look like shit, the void walker looks like a violet balloon not a black mass from beyond the edge of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    it's amazing how stupid people think using big words will aid what amounts to their invalid opinion in a vain attempt to appear like a valid concern.

the fucking "updated" models look like shit, the void walker looks like a violet balloon not a black mass from beyond the edge of space.
    I'm an English major. Get over yourself and whatever made you bitter today.

You seriously think the old school models are superior compared to the HD RES models with fluid animations? You're delusional.
    My name is what makes me so manly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post

Chill out, bro. Sheesh. What "big" words did he even use? I think the updated RACIAL models are superior, and I mean, they are objectively better and obviously more modern lol. IDGAF about any other models and I think Elise referred to racial models as well.