Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Thailand is too expensive, California is too expensive, etc, so I figured, a country with so much unrest where no one ever dares to visit, the property can't be that expensive. I could buy a nice place somewhere and slowly during the 30 years I have left before retirement (35 probably), I could build a nice place to retire.
    Then the shock, a tiny amount of land that looks like Sahara desert - $90.000. A normal house for $500.000. Five hundred thousand US dollars! What the hell?!
    For that amount of money, I could change the weather here in Sweden and build my own harem. I don't need to move to New Guinea where there's a good chance I'll get beheaded and/or eaten.

The search continues...
    Well, you can't really buy land in Thailand (unless you're thai of course) so money is not really the issue there, now is it? Actually, this is true for a lot of asian countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam and so on.

Why do you need to buy land though? If you're just going to retire just buy a condo.

Also, where do you get a deacent, new house for less than $500k in Sweden? In the middle of nowhere? Come on!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    reading the thread is hard.
    I thought he made up his mind, and had some plans oh well. Not completely uncommon I for sure encourage people to follow their ambitions.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

..and you expect the inhabitants to honor the rules of land ownership? If that can't be enforced, you own nothing. Also, who would even own said land to sell to you in the first place. If his isn't a troll, you probably got conned.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Nope, Moncton NB. Cost of living here is cheap and it is great. Sales tax is 15% though which is the main shitty part.
    Hey, I sold my house last year. 22% in sweden! Loved it! (no!)

There is always Praia da Luz, Portugal.

Just mid 300ks

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas...-80360999.html

My uncle has a holiday home there, it wasn't too expensive when he bought but now I imagine the house is worth a bit over 1mn.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Hey, I sold my house last year. 22% in sweden! Loved it! (no!)
    No, what I am saying is we pay 15 cents on every dollar on non perishable items both online and in stores.

New games come out and they are 79.99, I pay 92 after taxes for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    VAT? That's 25% in Sweden for a lot of items.
    Ya but we also get taxed out the ass with our income. I lose roughly 20% of my annual income to the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    We have 30+% in Sweden going up towards 50ish in tax brackets depending on how much you earn.
    Ya but how is your countrywide infrastructure? Probably a lot better and more advanced than ours I would say lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    As an American, I would be very leery to move to many locations. I would love to move to a tropical paradise of some sort but wouldn't want to risk getting some kind of nasty disease, bot flies, killed by natives, ransomed...etc.

If I did however, it would be to New Zealand or Australia.
    I have met several people who went to Thailand and they all want to move there one day. My friends uncle sold everything and moved to Thailand, he loves it but says he does not go to town himself to buy groceries because they charge him more. Has his Thai wife do it.

When I lived in AZ I knew a few guys who had homes in Mexico and they said it was pretty cheap. No way in hell I would do it with the widespread corruption and cartel violence but whatever.

I tip my hat to anyone who relocates to another country in search of some piece of paradise/heaven. If I was single and had a couple million in the bank I would look into it I suppose.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Ya but we also get taxed out the ass with our income. I lose roughly 20% of my annual income to the government.
    Lol, complaining about a 20% tax rate ...

Lol, complaining about a 20% tax rate ...
    It is based on bracket and you get hit multiple times depending which bracket you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Ah, sweet summer children. A 420 sq ft studio in hells kitchen in a shitty old house is approx $600k to buy
    And in Hell's kitchen you have to deal with supernatural ninjas and a law enforcement agency on the payroll of a mafia boss. :P At least Daredevil will look out for you.

Gross, my house is 2 story with furnished basement around 1200 sqft and was new 148k Canadian.
    >use monopoly money
    >pay monopoly prices
    Checks out.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thailand is too expensive, California is too expensive, etc, so I figured, a country with so much unrest where no one ever dares to visit, the property can't be that expensive. I could buy a nice place somewhere and slowly during the 30 years I have left before retirement (35 probably), I could build a nice place to retire.
    Then the shock, a tiny amount of land that looks like Sahara desert - $90.000. A normal house for $500.000. Five hundred thousand US dollars! What the hell?!
    For that amount of money, I could change the weather here in Sweden and build my own harem. I don't need to move to New Guinea where there's a good chance I'll get beheaded and/or eaten.

The search continues...
    You can go to southern Brazil

The most developed region of the country, stable and safe. Its not as visited as northeast region and Rio de Janeiro, but still, is a very beautiful place, full of beautiful people.

The weather is pretty nice too, with hot summers and mild winters, with cold towns in the highest regions, where it can get pretty chill and even snow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have fun living underwater in a few years.

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    It is based on bracket and you get hit multiple times depending which bracket you are in.
    then you earn barely above minimum wage?
    I dont think it can go less than 20% for a society function (well, excluding taxing 0% on minimum wage )

Most Asian countries have regulations against foreigners owning lands. Although I can’t personally speak about Thailand, many of these countries have loopholes or exemptions. Indonesia is one of the country that does not allow foreigners to own land. However, we were able to own and build a house in Bali by using a Foreign Investment Company (PMA) as a front. Which is perfectly legal - back then at least. The law has since been updated such that a new PMA cannot be formed for the sole purpose of acquiring a single residential property and require a minimum of 1M USD investment. However, we were grand fathered in.

That being said, you probably do not want to invest anything that you can't afford to lose in Asian real estate. I have heard way too many of expats real estate horror stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    >use monopoly money
    >pay monopoly prices
    Checks out.
    No, just for some reason people think you need to live in heavily populated areas and it makes housing way cheaper in places like where I live.

- - - Updated - - -

then you earn barely above minimum wage?
    I dont think it can go less than 20% for a society function (well, excluding taxing 0% on minimum wage )
    Minimum wage is 11.50 an hour, I make about 16 and hour.

The search continues...
    You can have 3 things... Financial Security, Safety, and Cheap.

Pick 2, you can't have all 3.

I lose about 50% of mine. You should not complain.