Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    I wonder, now that the NK and the Walkers are gone, if the True North will have any kind of thaw?
    Well there is a very prominent shot of a little green plant poking its head out of the snow as John leaves with the Wildlings so perfaps it is implied?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Tyrion: All Hail Bran, King of the 6 Kingdoms
    Yara: Wait wait wait! My Queen promised the Iron Islands freedom as well.
    Bran nods.
    Tyrion: All Hail Bran, King of the 5 Kingdoms
    Prince of Dorne: Dorne has never been conquered. We will also become our own kingdom.
    Bran nods.
    Tyrion: All Hail Bran, King of the 4 Kingdoms
    Tyrion: All Hail Bran, King of the 0 Kingdoms

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Well there is a very prominent shot of a little green plant poking its head out of the snow as John leaves with the Wildlings so perfaps it is implied?
    That will have a negative impact on the polar bears.

Night King was an eco warrior trying to protect nature from mankind's global warming.

He also brought equality, all zombies were treated the same. Can't be said for Westeros patriarchy n racism...

Where the hell is the S8E6 inside the episode?
    And wasn't there supposed to be a documentary on Season 8?

I want to know what Dumb & Dumber thought of when they rushed through this like a world rank attempt at a +50 dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post

I want to know what Dumb & Dumber thought of when they rushed through this like a world rank attempt at a +50 dungeon.
    I dont even want to hear the reason for it. There were chances to keep this show going for several more seasons but they dropped it.

And even when they decided to end it, they dropped the ball on giving it the epic ending the show deserved. GoT is probably one of/or the biggest show on tv ever, but the ending made it plummet so hard.

I have always rewatched series that I love. Some I have seen several times cause its high quality with atleast a decent ending.

GoT screams rushed in every aspect and it shows so clearly it hurts. Imagine they spendt two years on giving this to the fans.

5+ Year Old Account

Huh? Documentary has been up for hours, it's where episode 7 on HBO would be if this season had more than six episodes. It's called "the last watch"

Or u meant u should watch it for free on utub??

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Huh? Documentary has been up for hours, it's where episode 7 on HBO would be if this season had more than six episodes. It's called "the last watch"

Or u meant u should watch it for free on utub??
    I have the sky ticket. Looks like they have not yet included the documentary in Germany.... I hope they will at some point... :/

I have the sky ticket. Looks like they have not yet included the documentary in Germany.... I hope they will at some point... :/
    I have Crave TV which is the legitimate way to watch it online in Canada, they never add the after episode stuff

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I dont even want to hear the reason for it. There were chances to keep this show going for several more seasons but they dropped it.

And even when they decided to end it, they dropped the ball on giving it the epic ending the show deserved. GoT is probably one of/or the biggest show on tv ever, but the ending made it plummet so hard.

I have always rewatched series that I love. Some I have seen several times cause its high quality with atleast a decent ending.

GoT screams rushed in every aspect and it shows so clearly it hurts. Imagine they spendt two years on giving this to the fans.
    With all the shit the last seasons are getting we must make a few things crystal clear though:

Directing / Cinematography 10/10
    Music 15/10
    Acting 10/10
    Costumes 10/10
    Budget 10/10

Writing this season... shit/10

I really feel bad for the whole team behind GOT because they've done an outstanding job from season 1 to 8. Just D&D not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I have Crave TV which is the legitimate way to watch it online in Canada, they never add the after episode stuff
    Yea I guess I can pay another 9,99€ for that documentation at some point, because fk the people

EDIT: Found it! It's literally listed as a whole new TV Show. It's not under Game Of Thrones. Try searching through your library for Game of Thrones - The Last Watch

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for this prequel. I'm hoping they learned from the blowback and decide on a clear-cut and wholly developed series road map. It could even be better than GOT if they cast it right and give it the same production love.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for this prequel. I'm hoping they learned from the blowback and decide on a clear-cut and wholly developed series road map. It could even be better than GOT if they cast it right and give it the same production love.
    Who's writing the script?

5+ Year Old Account
    Who's writing the script?
    G.Martin is involved, which he hardly was for last got seasons

btw we have a GoT: Bloodmoon thread
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ones-Bloodmoon
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-05-28 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    G.Martin is involved, which he hardly was for last got seasons
    Which means he'll give the scripts a read over while he fine dines.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Which means he'll give the scripts a read over while he fine dines.
    I'm convinced he'll croak over his food like my sister's friend's pet guinea pig that ate itself to death over a large tomato

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the problem with the prequel;

We know exactly how it ends.

A major narrative feature that Martin relies on is subversion of expectations; Ned Stark was the classic hero, and BOOM, dead. Okay, maybe it's his eldest son Robb, we can get behind him, and oh god it's the Red Wedding what the fuck. Repeat over and over.

You can't subvert expectations with history, since we know what the outcome is. The only twists you can throw is that maybe you get there a different way than was written in the histories, but you still reach the same point. You have to, because that's what already happened, and we know that.

Worse, if you try, then you're stuck explaining your bullshit and twisting it back to fit back into history.

That (plus sex and violence) is what made GoT a phenomenon; the feeling that there was real risk for characters and "plot armor" isn't a thing. But a prequel has to provide that plot armor. It can't not, because if we know Billy did the thing in Year 42, then Billy has to be there in Year 42 to do the thing.

In GoT, until midway through the last season, "The Night King and his wights annihilate all humanity in Westeros" was a potential outcome. Unlikely, given how tragic it is, but certainly plausible. When they're telling the prequel, there's no such worry. We know they don't. We know that the living beat them back and wall them away for thousands of years. That's history. There's no way to subvert expectations with that, not without making your original story a lie.

I kind of wonder how the legacy of this show will end up. A few examples that come to mind are Dexter and Lost. Both were fantastic shows that just had terrible endings that when you mention it or think about it, that is the first thing that comes to mind. Both equally had great characters, great acting, and a lot of people put in a lot of work into the production value of the show. All that is remembered is the terrible ending it had and that is squarely on the writing.

Will GoT be remembered this way with the overall negative reaction to the last season? I would argue there were a good number of things that bothered with S7 as well, but S8 I don't even care to watch any of the episodes a second time. I felt the same way after watching the finale after walking out of The Last Jedi. Just kind of a what the hell did I just watch mentality.

@Endus

The same was kinda true for the first 4 seasons or so if you read the books, no? I never did but wasn't Need Stark's death and the Red Wedding in the books? If so, people who haven't read any books could still be shocked by twists and surprises.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Endus

The same was kinda true for the first 4 seasons or so if you read the books, no? I never did but wasn't Need Stark's death and the Red Wedding in the books? If so, people who haven't read any books could still be shocked by twists and surprises.
    The first seasons follow the books pretty closely, but you really should consider it as a story without prior knowledge, regardless of which you experienced first. That's actually kind of my point; the first time you see the Red Wedding, it's shocking, horrible. It's a kick to the gut, precisely because you didn't see it coming and even if you thought it might, you really hoped it wouldn't.

The second time, say if you read the books and then watched the show, you knew it was coming and it wasn't a surprise. Hell, you were probably excited. This doesn't subvert your expectations, any more; it fulfills them.

And that's the problem with a prequel series. Inevitably, it will fulfill, not subvert, expectations. It can't be otherwise, because history is history; we have to end up where the original began.

That can be totally fine; I'm not crapping on prequels completely. I'm saying for a series that has relied on subversion of expectations so consistently, it's going to change things in ways I don't think the audience will come out for. Prequels are best used to explore unanswered questions, but GoT never really made an effort to answer the questions it asked in the first place. That's why there's so many loose threads even after it's ended.

I'm expecting it to be like Caprica, after BSG. Or the big complaints aimed at both Star Trek Enterprise and Discovery; that they exist prior to known history in their timelines and thus can't really shake things up too much, since they have to end up at the same point the originals kicked off at. As great as Anson Mount's Captain Pike is, in ST, we know how his story ends and it's awful. And to give the writers in S2 credit, they've made that a plot point. But we know there's no escaping it. They use that to give the audience a real sense of impending, unavoidable doom, for Pike, in a good sense, because they give him an option to avoid that future, and he refuses it, willing to take on his personal anguish and suffering to save the day. But the show is constantly running up against the status quo of TOS and what we know from the later series, and that limits it. It's one reason people are looking forward to Season 3, since they've unshackled themselves from that.

And I don't think we gained much from setting ST in that time. Anson Mount would've made a fantastic captain no matter what his name was, and we knew so little of Pike he could've played the same exact character with a different name attached. Tying it into that timeline just made people angry or annoyed. I feel the Got prequel is going to do the same, but even moreso, because of the lack of any real ability to subvert any expectations that really matter, which GoT has relied upon extensively in its runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Here's the problem with the prequel;

We know exactly how it ends.

A major narrative feature that Martin relies on is subversion of expectations; Ned Stark was the classic hero, and BOOM, dead. Okay, maybe it's his eldest son Robb, we can get behind him, and oh god it's the Red Wedding what the fuck. Repeat over and over.

You can't subvert expectations with history, since we know what the outcome is. The only twists you can throw is that maybe you get there a different way than was written in the histories, but you still reach the same point. You have to, because that's what already happened, and we know that.

Worse, if you try, then you're stuck explaining your bullshit and twisting it back to fit back into history.

That (plus sex and violence) is what made GoT a phenomenon; the feeling that there was real risk for characters and "plot armor" isn't a thing. But a prequel has to provide that plot armor. It can't not, because if we know Billy did the thing in Year 42, then Billy has to be there in Year 42 to do the thing.

In GoT, until midway through the last season, "The Night King and his wights annihilate all humanity in Westeros" was a potential outcome. Unlikely, given how tragic it is, but certainly plausible. When they're telling the prequel, there's no such worry. We know they don't. We know that the living beat them back and wall them away for thousands of years. That's history. There's no way to subvert expectations with that, not without making your original story a lie.
    Don't build the prequel on "not knowing what happens next"; the ending of a story and key plot points can be told to you in the story before they actually happening (such as in LoGH) and so you're invested in the thematic story arc and the characters and how everything came together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Don't build the prequel on "not knowing what happens next"; the ending of a story and key plot points can be told to you in the story before they actually happening (such as in LoGH) and so you're invested in the thematic story arc and the characters and how everything came together.
    Read my second post above; I wasn't arguing "prequels are bad", I was making the point that subverting expectations was a key part of what made audiences enjoy GoT, and you can't functionally subvert expectations in a prequel. Because the expectations are that history worked out pretty much as we know it already did and created the setting we've already seen. You can change some details, like maybe it wasn't X who led the charge that pushed back the Night King, but Y, and X just took credit for it. But you can't change the fact that they fight the Night King and push him back. We know that's going to happen.