Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Thailand is too expensive, California is too expensive, etc, so I figured, a country with so much unrest where no one ever dares to visit, the property can't be that expensive. I could buy a nice place somewhere and slowly during the 30 years I have left before retirement (35 probably), I could build a nice place to retire.
    Then the shock, a tiny amount of land that looks like Sahara desert - $90.000. A normal house for $500.000. Five hundred thousand US dollars! What the hell?!
    For that amount of money, I could change the weather here in Sweden and build my own harem. I don't need to move to New Guinea where there's a good chance I'll get beheaded and/or eaten.

The search continues...
    If you have a long way to go i would suggest Belize my family loved it when we visited and it was fairly cheap, i would also say that in the many times we have visited no problems have ever came about.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thailand is too expensive, California is too expensive, etc, so I figured, a country with so much unrest where no one ever dares to visit, the property can't be that expensive. I could buy a nice place somewhere and slowly during the 30 years I have left before retirement (35 probably), I could build a nice place to retire.
    Then the shock, a tiny amount of land that looks like Sahara desert - $90.000. A normal house for $500.000. Five hundred thousand US dollars! What the hell?!
    For that amount of money, I could change the weather here in Sweden and build my own harem. I don't need to move to New Guinea where there's a good chance I'll get beheaded and/or eaten.

The search continues...
    This feels trollish. You live in SWEDEN but want land in where now? Have you met your country?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    You could build your own house and cut the costs considerably. Or help build it and cut the costs substantially.

for $500k (£394606) in my town you can buy 6/8 bedroom houses.

The search continues...
    What is your price range? I have a few suggestions and friends in those locations that might be able to help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    We have 30+% in Sweden going up towards 50ish in tax brackets depending on how much you earn.
    Sweden also has a vastly larger social infrastructure compared to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Ya but we also get taxed out the ass with our income. I lose roughly 20% of my annual income to the government.
    Oh you sweet child, 20% tax would be a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I lose about 50% of mine. You should not complain.
    What about sales tax?

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    If you have a long way to go i would suggest Belize my family loved it when we visited and it was fairly cheap, i would also say that in the many times we have visited no problems have ever came about.
    I liked the cayes in Belize, but Belize mainland looked like a complete dump. Belize city itself...security guards at gas stations had their hands on their gun holsters after hours.

This was in 2012, but I can't imagine its changed much since then?

I was looking at some nice apartments w/great features (swimming pool, gym, sauna etc) and they were only like 12k U.S. to buy. Granted they were pretty small, and this was 2 years ago.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here in eastern Ohio, you can buy a nice secluded place with lots of privacy, decent house and 10 - 20 acres for less than 200k. And no head hunters to worry about. But then again, there is the Ohio Grassman......

Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-05-29 at 12:24 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I liked the cayes in Belize, but Belize mainland looked like a complete dump. Belize city itself...security guards at gas stations had their hands on their gun holsters after hours.

This was in 2012, but I can't imagine its changed much since then?
    Our family has gone about every other year since 09? maybe 10? I never noticed the guards with hand on guns? I really enjoyed the nation honestly, a close second for me was Panama. My partner is hispanic so perhaps that helps?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Here in eastern Ohio, you can buy a nice secluded place with lots of privacy, decent house and 10 - 20 acres for less than 200k. And no head hunters to worry about. But then again, there is the Ohio Grassman......

How are the winters in Ohio? Are they as terrible as Wyoming? Like more concerned with how the roadworks handle cleaning up the snow that sorta thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

How are the winters in Ohio? Are they as terrible as Wyoming? Like more concerned with how the roadworks handle cleaning up the snow that sorta thing?
    They can vary. Some years, very mild, with little snow and maybe no temps below zero F. Some years, you can have 12" in one day and a total of 2+ feet on the ground with temps well below zero. The lowest I have seen it here was -32 F. The record for the state is -39 F. lately we have had some cold and wet winters. This last winter, got down to -12F one day, with several others below zero. They do a good job keeping the roads cleared I think. But I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue SUV, which is excellent in handling the snow. My drive way is about 200 feet long and I use to have to plow it with my tractor before I got the SUV. Not anymore.

It is not flat where I live and the hills do help in blocking the cold winter winds. Not as bad winters as Wyo I do not think. But you do need to be prepared for some rough ones on occasion.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-05-29 at 12:46 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    They can vary. Some years, very mild, with little snow and maybe no temps below zero F. Some years, you can have 12" in one day and a total of 2+ feet on the ground with temps well below zero. The lowest I have seen it here was -32 F. The record for the state is -39 F. lately we have had some cold and wet winters. This last winter, got down to -12F one day, with several others below zero. They do a good job keeping the roads cleared I think. But I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue SUV, which is excellent in handling the snow. My drive way is about 200 feet long and I use to have to plow it with my tractor before I got the SUV. Not anymore.
    I drive a Ford Focus so the snow is a nightmare for me. That actually sounds very similar to here honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    What about sales tax?
    25% on pretty much everything.

In most developing countries foreigners are usually not allowed to own land, so those who do have either :
    -dual-citizenship
    -a spouse holding citizenship from the target country (and hopefully a very strong marriage/relationship)
    -an investment scheme, but often it will require a local "partner", often with 51% of the shares

But if you expect for any remote location to be cheaper to live on western standards, you're on a big surprise, for the costs and tariffs on imported goods are usually very high, and that will often include things like cement, bricks, windows, plumbing, generators, AC, furniture. Also human capital is usually very low : you'll have a hard time finding skilled craftsmen.
    For lower costs you must be ready to live full local (as in living in a hut without AC), and that might not even be a choice when its a small island that imports most if not all of its food.
    One important thing to be aware of, if that in many countries, real estate prices for center and nice locations are rising and rising, for they have exploding young populations.

Secondary are of course the whole civilization or not civilization issue : do you enjoy rule of law? safety? accessible/good medical care? knowing that you actually own your piece of property, and everybody knows it? Those are far from guaranteed even in closer countries (heard enough stories of people who had houses in Morocco until a local decided it was theirs).

I could move to the Philippines if I wanted, and while I did have a rosy image of it from my childhood, as an adult and parent I wouldn't want to cope with the pollution, chaos and latent insecurity that is the usual fare there.

Those who simply move to southern Europe have good reasons to do so : affordable sun with most of the necessities of modern life covered and affordable. Lots of retirees are moving in Portugal due to its tax incentives I heard.
    If you're really looking for something cheap and don't mind the remoteness, the southernmost part of Italy might be a good place to look for, as its currently suffering from severe depopulation (all young people are going North).
    You might want to check on the remnants of the French, British, Dutch and American colonial empires if you're a little adventurous. Real estate and living might not be that cheap tough.

As for myself, if need be internal exile could be an acceptable : if one value a sunny mountain scenery above warmth, small old chalets and apartments high in the mountains can be had for surprisingly cheap compared to lowlands prices. The same if probably true for most of Alpine countries outside of major mountain resorts, but in Switzerland you're always less than 1h away from a City wherever you are.

Depends on where you look to buy. In Sweden you could pay $3-400 000 for a 50-ish sqm flat in Stockholm, or a huge mansion with massive amounts of land on the countryside. This is probably the case in most countries. Maybe the "desert land" has oil!
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

I have been searching for a far away place or remote place to live and work with my internet business and I came here. How good is the internet connection/speed in remote areas. Which countries will allow me to buy a house and work from there ??

You will love Papua New Guinea.

Lots of friendly headhunter tribes who used to resort to Cannibalism.

I am sure some of them may even invite you around for dinner .

https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/p...ua-new-guinea/

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    if you wanted to waste your Money, you could've just bought lottery tickets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
    I have been searching for a far away place or remote place to live and work with my internet business and I came here. How good is the internet connection/speed in remote areas. Which countries will allow me to buy a house and work from there ??
    I live 12 miles from the nearest city, on 14 acres and have 100k internet speed service. Cable is run out this far and beyond. Nothing that I am aware of prevents a person from buying a home and working out of it with a business. Many do. The medium house price where I live is 159k. My home and property, according to Zillow, is valued at 185K.