Poll: Do you like BFA’s story more than WOD

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem with BfA is that we already saw this story. The story would be WAY more acceptable if MoP had not happened.

WoD, on the other hand, was just a mess. I mean, looking closely at it's story is like staring at the abyss, but the abyss ends up sending you to the past.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Honestly Yrel being a warlord that uses the light to convert her enemies and grow her own army to protect her people from another genocide is actually a very good idea and concept to take with her, it's not totally evil but neither lawful stupid like Anduin, I want more characters like that.
    She wasn't converting enemies. They made peace with the orcs and then basically said everyone had to be infused with light whether you wanted it or not. That MADE people her enemy when they refused to do so.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think of any leg of WoW as having had a story. Too half baked and sparse, even at its best. It's little more than wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    No, of course I don't.

WoD's story literally took amazing characters and turned them into loot pinatas, and interrupted the story mid-way. Anyone pretending otherwise are just 100% on the "hate the current game"-train.
    This ^^^

Cannot beleive how much a couple years makes people forget how awful WoD was in comparison to what we have now

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    She wasn't converting enemies. They made peace with the orcs and then basically said everyone had to be infused with light whether you wanted it or not. That MADE people her enemy when they refused to do so.
    Did you saw all the war machine the orcs brough with them or their bloodlust? There is no way all of that shit was built in 2 weeks, besides it's also play into something Golden has tried to hide in the alliance races which is the racist view they have toward horde races and after BFA that posture should be more visible(if Golden leftist views weren't in the way). Yrel isn't perfect by any definition of the dumb superhero that a lot of americans like but the orcs aren't exactly pacific people and even Kairoz mentions he choosed that timeline because the orcs are even more bloodlusted than the MU ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

10+ Year Old Account
    I think one of the reasons why the story in BFA feels so lackluster is because of the huge amounts of time before we're allowed to progress through it.

It seems like they wrote the story like you'd write a movie but we're only allowed to watch 10 minutes every few months or so.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RushRush View Post
    I think one of the reasons why the story in BFA feels so lackluster is because of the huge amounts of time before we're allowed to progress through it.

It seems like they wrote the story like you'd write a movie but we're only allowed to watch 10 minutes every few months or so.
    This is precisely my thoughts on the matter.

Each patch should be a meaty chapter with a beginning and end. It does not feel episodic, it feels like dad has to stop mid chapter because it's bedtime.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Nah I think one of the major roles is the parallels the writing team is doing with MoP(which everyone knows where that story went) and with the time-gating is the icy of the cake
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Nah I think one of the major roles is the parallels the writing team is doing with MoP(which everyone knows where that story went) and with the time-gating is the icy of the cake
    It is a really BIG cherry on top of the cake tbh. I remember Ion saying that he wanted this xpac to have story-driven content... And we have remarkably little story as of now, barely enough as to get our toes wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

So like a tv-series then?

Nah, I get what you mean, there could be some less timegating when it comes to these questlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    WoD's story literally took amazing characters and turned them into loot pinatas, and interrupted the story mid-way.
    This isn't really a fair comparison to BFA, then, since the halfway point hasn't hit yet. If we're talking about the launch + first patch, WOD's story held together just fine; it only really started to fall apart at the midway point when they clearly abandoned the expansion. BFA has had zero story for the launch + first patch, which makes it infinitely worse. They look to be headed in the opposite direction of WOD, however, in that the story is about to get better in 8.2. But thus far, BFA is the worst no question.

I really can't decide since they are both fairly depressing and forgettable, I get no drive from either of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyforge1 View Post
    This ^^^

Cannot beleive how much a couple years makes people forget how awful WoD was in comparison to what we have now
    Yes, WoD was absolutely awful. I disliked it a lot. Here's the difference:

WoD's story, for all of its faults, was largely self-contained. Yes, we got things like the "One Legion, many universes" nonsense, Thrall became even more intolerable, and so on. Even with that, for the most part, we can just pretend WoD never happened and it simply didn't impact the overall story enough for us to be punished for doing so.

Conversely, BfA is not self-contained. We're torching characters left and right in order to peddle some ridiculous narrative. Even after BfA ends its impact on characters, and the overall story itself is going to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    It does not feel episodic, it feels like dad has to stop mid chapter because it's bedtime.
    More like being sent to coal mines mid chapter.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was absolutely nothing bad about WoD's story, so that's where your post fucks up in the first place. The theme and story of WoD was great; the content that was provided was what was bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    WoD story wasn't bad. It had the smoothest in-out transitions with other expansions.
    ...? Smoothest? At what end?

Starting up we have a black dragon convince a bronze dragon that letting an orc go and taking him to an alternate reality is a good idea. After arriving the orc promptly kills the bronze dragon then proceeds to kindle an incredible technological revolution... somehow... Not only somehow advancing the tec of the clans to Azeroth levels, but in some cases even surpassing it... but lets ignore that for now. Next up he proceeds to somehow open a portal of which he had exactly zero idea on how it was originally made, he dose this without the help of the one who did it, without the magic they used to do it with, nor did he have the help of someone on the other side to connect the 2 points this time...

Jumping ahead past all the stupid plot points and throwing away of of lore figures they broke the timeline to give us in the first place, we get to HFC where we get the not dead Archamond because as long as we are reusing old enemies why not some demons as well, but don't worry Blizzard added the new plot point that demons don't actually die unless they die in the twisting nether, unless they do die for good outside of the twisting nether... for reasons... sometimes... maybe... not even blizzard knows... Let's ignore that for now, we kill the demon but Guldan in the nick of time reopens the portal and gets flung through it, where on the other side he lucks out that we left zero guards to watch the other end of the portal, he also somehow has a very good knowledge of our world and it's history miraculously because our Guldan and him where somehow linked.... somehow... ohh ya he also had knowledge about things he wasn't there for... But let's ignore that for now as well. Next up we somehow forget that he came through to our world and leave the most obvious locations for him to go after ungraded, where he somehow single handedly summons the legions vanguard to our world (also without us noticing I might add), lastly he manages to infiltrate the enemy intelligence agency fairly easily and completely mislead them into making a suicide attack...

amazingly smooth....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    There was absolutely nothing bad about WoD's story, so that's where your post fucks up in the first place. The theme and story of WoD was great; the content that was provided was what was bad.
    Uhh... what? WoD's story was absolutely ridiculous. The theme was complete garbage too. What in the Hell are you on about?

Were you really satisfied, after spending the latter half of the previous expansion ousting a good Warchief, to go back in time and kill Horde heroes of yesteryear in some ridiculous bizarro world? Did you somehow enjoy "One Legion, many unvierses?" Do you actually think "Time travel and Alternate Universes" are fine, and not the absolute worst sort of comic book-tier writing?

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    BFA is worse solely for the War stuff. The leveling story of both factions is good. The War Campaign, basically everything starting from prepatch onwards doesn't make much sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    Time traveling, reincarnated Orcs brought back for nostalgia only, who we promptly kill leaving us with nothing, Loads of cut plot points leaving large unexplained gaps in what should have been, a new Horde Warchief getting completely ignored, Horde and Alliance going back to war... just kuz... demons not actually dieing because we didn't kill them while there was the proper amount of space magic around, Guldan somehow avoiding us even with his shadow clan being much weaker/smaller then the MU counterpart, one of our best mages tracking him as best he could the whole time we where there, and all 3 major factions in the war (+ the ogres, Botani, gron, saberon, and Arakoa most likely as well) being his direct enemy.

WoD's level up process was fun, and it's raids where okay, that's about all it had.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best part of WoD was in the introduction scenario when Khadgar is just like yeah.. why don't you go ahead and free Teron'gor, Cho'gall AND Gul'dan. What could go wrong right? They're nobodies..

It really set the tone for the rest of the expansion.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru