Poll: Immortality but you have to go back 1 million years?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Thank you

Well when I made this I didn't explicitly have you in mind however if I did, first of all you love your wife, you belong to her, and the situation only allows for you to be immortal, so I don't blame you one bit, and it is a silly scenario, and I wouldn't leave my fiance either, but setting that aside, there are other things to consider in a what if.

You are right being along does have a disadvantage, which is why being immortal would be helpful right, You get 1 million years, Honestly I would say yes, because that is a challenge I would love to take.

If I could obviously.
    But being immortal does not mean you would have more than two hands. Right?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But being immortal does not mean you would have more than two hands. Right?
    You wouldn't need more than 2 hands, any projects I have ever done that relates to what I said can be done, it just take time and problem solving skills, the kinds of skills my grandfather and his grandfather employed.

Back then it was nice if you has someone, but you didn't always have that, and to be honest the biggest hurdle wasn't the lack of labor, but time. If you had an infinite amount, shit you can do almost anything.

I mean you aren't going to start on day one with a cast or mold to make an engine or fabricate instruments right away. But as you said you have two hands, a brain, you can figure it out.

How are tools made, what are the elements you need for each step. I will be honest shit like that is as interesting to me as the idea of possibly recording and monitoring history.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

3+ Year Old Account
    Errrr。。。Yes, those thing cannot be produced or even repaired a million yrs ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilTrigger1989 View Post
    Errrr。。。Yes, those thing cannot be produced or even repaired a million yrs ago.
    Start with the building blocks and go from there, even if you have to start with small tools to get you to better ones, over time you get to where you want to be.

3+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that's a good plan~

Just got reminded of something relative to this thread that I read back in 2017:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    The entire universe is constantly expanding, the space between the atoms that make up all baryonic mass in the known cosmos is very slowly increasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    So my .... package .... will keep growing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    On the order of Yoctometres every million years, yes.
    Immortality means an infinity sized dong.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Just got reminded of something relative to this thread that I read back in 2017:
    Immortality means an infinity sized dong.
    Thanks to the power of the internet we have the kind of relevant research to impact all our lives for the better. Fucking really going to be thinking about this a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You wouldn't need more than 2 hands, any projects I have ever done that relates to what I said can be done, it just take time and problem solving skills, the kinds of skills my grandfather and his grandfather employed.

Back then it was nice if you has someone, but you didn't always have that, and to be honest the biggest hurdle wasn't the lack of labor, but time. If you had an infinite amount, shit you can do almost anything.

I mean you aren't going to start on day one with a cast or mold to make an engine or fabricate instruments right away. But as you said you have two hands, a brain, you can figure it out.

How are tools made, what are the elements you need for each step. I will be honest shit like that is as interesting to me as the idea of possibly recording and monitoring history.
    Well yeah, for basic needs to build a small shelter you can do it with only yourself. But you are immortal anyway. You would not need to for survival. You would be doing it to keep from being bored to death. But even that could not kill you. lol! No thanks, Sounds a bit too much like hell would be.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Interesting that given a sci-fy question, you ignore any benefits of the immortality choice, and then go on to perceive anyone not choosing your preference as "smart". Pretty disappointing.
    In my experience, "smart" people consider being locked in solitary a "bad thing", not a good thing. Any extension to the incarceration only makes it worse, not better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    In my experience, "smart" people consider being locked in solitary a "bad thing", not a good thing. Any extension to the incarceration only makes it worse, not better.
    Exactly. And this whole concept of being alone and living forever, reeks too much of selfishness. Like a artist who paints a picture, wants it to be observed and appreciated by others. Everything you would be doing as a lone individual living forever, would only be self indulgence.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's the undying, never aging sort of immortality, sure thing.

If it's the "you can still die" and "you just get super decrepit" then heck no.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Exactly. And this whole concept of being alone and living forever, reeks too much of selfishness. Like a artist who paints a picture, wants it to be observed and appreciated by others. Everything you would be doing as a lone individual living forever, would only be self indulgence.
    You wouldn't be alone. You could have pets. Make a pet sabertooth tiger or something. Or bring back some dogs or cats with you.

I mean, the most reliable form of transportation would be horses. I'd be seriously tempted to bring back a large farm filled with horses so I can breed them for transportation and performing work, plus companionship.

Horses originated in North America. Camels originated in South America. Both crossed the land bridge over the Bering Sea from Alaska into Russia and then spread across Asia. Horses actually went extinct in North America around 10,000 years ago, or about the time the first humans arrived. Camels survived in South America as we know them as llamas. Horses in North America from 1 million years ago were surprisingly close to modern horses.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-06-02 at 05:26 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Do people forget what immortality means?

It means you will never die... ever!

You will outlive the universe which means you will be left to float in nothing forever and ever amen.

You will not be able to end it ever.. ever. ever

No end literally no end think about that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by wutwhat View Post

You will outlive the universe which means you will be left to float in nothing forever and ever amen.

On another Note you could get pulled into a Black Hole to see if there is a relationship with White Holes and potentially find yourself in a different Universe
    Last edited by Hablion; 2019-06-02 at 06:05 AM.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    On another Note you could get pulled into a Black Hole to see if there is a relationship with White Holes and potentially find yourself in a different Universe
    On another note the UNIVERSE IS BIG. Even if you're just floating around in space it can take centillions or of years to even get sucked in to a black hole. And what if it is just that, a black hole, no wormhole or anything like that. Then you'll be stuck there forever, unless the universe will "reset" like it is specullated it might do.

While I would be bored out of my mind for 90% of it, I would probably take the offer. Only on the condition though that it's true immortality, like you can't die no matter what and you always regenerate back to at a fully healthy version of yourself, you don't age, you don't get sick, essentially like the Torchwood guy (as the bare minimum, being more resilient would be welcomed as well).

Here is the thing, without any kind of special insurance like that no one here would probably make it past the first 100 years. There is literally nothing, no civilsations, no aid, heck even your ancestors are more than likely to try to kill you than anything else.. Even if we were allowed to prepare some special things, none of our tech would last more than a couple decades. Either you can live by just breathing or you are required to hunt all the time since there is no farming yet. While there isn't a proper ice age to worry about you'd still have to deal with a couple periods of extreme cold. The list of negatives goes on and on until until we'd finally hit some of the first advanced civilisations at the end of the million years and it would become bearable.

Only way I'd want to deal with that would be while being decked out in cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by wutwhat View Post

One possible end of the universe is the Big Rip, where the force pulling the universe apart slowly gets stronger and stronger until it overcomes gravity itself and all other forces and eventually pulls atoms apart. If the Big Rip actually happens, then we have a problem because you are immortal and are made of atoms but atoms can no longer exist. Light, sound, and space and time no longer exist. I'm not even sure where you are at that point, but you cannot die so wherever that is, you are there.

With the rest of the universe all pulling apart, and you existing as a constant, I imagine your existence punches a hole in the fabric in the universe somehow. Or the universe tears itself away from you. Then what, I don't know. My best guess you are the only thing left of the universe. Therefore, you ARE the universe.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-06-02 at 08:13 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    just for the timeline: the australopithecus is gone by that era. you are among late homo erectus and not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Absolutely.

I'd carve up some tablets and spend years traveling the globe and training all the cavemen to translate and pass off my message to their offspring. Then I'd surgically lodge a bone up my nose and into my brain to a point far enough that I couldn't process thought and then get catapulted into space where I could float around for eternity. I would do this for the good of humanity.

The tablets would read, "Don't make episode 1 or 7."

"You know what, don't even make 6. Fuck Ewoks."

"Ok, make 6, but make it more about luke and carrie fisher being related. And don't have Boba Fett die 2 seconds in."
    Ladies and gentlemen; here, this man is the closet anyone will ever be to a god. His grand plan? Suggestions for Star Wars edits. 1 million years and thats the result

I feel like this post literally sums up the mentality of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    just for the timeline: the australopithecus is gone by that era. you are among late homo erectus and not alone.
    Unless you choose the western hemisphere. Homo Erectus never reaches the Americas. If you stay in the Americas, then your first human contact is homo sapiens that probably cross the siberian land bridge in the last 20,000 years or so.