Is it possible that I share my IP with other people?

I visit 4chan a lot, and post there a lot as well.

From time to time, I get banned and I go through to see the post I made that broke the rules, and it's always the same.
    Posts I haven't made, on boards I never visit like /a/. This time I got permabanned for a post I did not make.

Is it possible that, since I live in an apartment complex, that the people in my close proximity share my IP adress?

I can make an appeal tomorrow, but I've already tried the "I didn't make that post, it must be that my IP is shared by someone else"-defence. It did not work, so I'm thinking about what to write next.

I'm also gonna turn off my router overnight, as I hear that changes your IP as the lease period of a particular IP is about 8 hours.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep if you all conect trough the same internet/modem your public IP is the same.
    Happends all the time @ uni/work

If you have your own internet (not an own router connected to a public modem) then you migh have someone leeching on your Wifi.
    In that case, higher protection (WPA2-AES) and change your WIFI password.
    Last edited by Azerox; 2019-05-31 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Yep if you all conect trough the same internet/modem your public IP is the same.
    Happends all the time @ uni/work

If you have your own internet (not an own router connected to a public modem) then you migh have someone leeching on your Wifi.
    In that case, higher protection (WPA2-AES) and change your WIFI password.
    I do have my own router, and it's well protected. If I check what units are onnected to it they are all mine. Which is what makes this all so weird.

This isn't the first time it happened like I said, and I've always moved since the last time it did. So new place, new IP and all that.

do you pay for the internet yourself or is it shared or included in rent?

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    do you pay for the internet yourself or is it shared or included in rent?
    I pay for it myself. It has also happened on my phone, from time to time, when connected to the 4G network, and I barely post on my phone as it's much more of a hassle compared to doing it on my PC.

if it happens on your mobile data and regular internet (assuming different providers) then either someone else has access or its something like drunk posting and you forgot.

you could ask your ISPs if your IP is shared with other devices but honestly thats a longshot if it happens this often.

I just noticed something. When I look up my IP on https://www.whatismyip.com/ and https://whatismyipaddress.com/, it says my location is across the country? I live on the west coast, but it says my location is on the east coast...?

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    I visit 4chan a lot, and post there a lot as well.

From time to time, I get banned and I go through to see the post I made that broke the rules, and it's always the same.
    Posts I haven't made, on boards I never visit like /a/. This time I got permabanned for a post I did not make.

Is it possible that, since I live in an apartment complex, that the people in my close proximity share my IP adress?

I can make an appeal tomorrow, but I've already tried the "I didn't make that post, it must be that my IP is shared by someone else"-defence. It did not work, so I'm thinking about what to write next.

I'm also gonna turn off my router overnight, as I hear that changes your IP as the lease period of a particular IP is about 8 hours.
    Lease can vary depending on your ISP i know some are instant reboot of your router another i work with is 24 hour lease...

Are you sure its an IP ban? Most websites don't ban by IP anymore as getting a new IP is stupid simple. aka TOR or VPN or proxy....

I am not sure how 4chan works with posting but if you post as a user then sounds like someone has your user credentials as well. But then again i never post in 4chan and hardly ever visit so take this part lightly

Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Lease can vary depending on your ISP i know some are instant reboot of your router another i work with is 24 hour lease...

Are you sure its an IP ban? Most websites don't ban by IP anymore as getting a new IP is stupid simple. aka TOR or VPN or proxy....

I am not sure how 4chan works with posting but if you post as a user then sounds like someone has your user credentials as well. But then again i never post in 4chan and hardly ever visit so take this part lightly
    I think it's IP-based as you post anonymously there, with no account. It also shows your IP on the info page.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I just noticed something. When I look up my IP on https://www.whatismyip.com/ and https://whatismyipaddress.com/, it says my location is across the country? I live on the west coast, but it says my location is on the east coast...?
    Who is your ISP? Possible they are based on East coast so their information comes up as such.. Larger ISP's assign blocks to regions/cities which will narrow down location tracking

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's IP-based as you post anonymously there, with no account. It also shows your IP on the info page.
    Well they probably use various fingerprinting methods to ban, as IPs are easily spoofed or faked or hidden. Visiting sites like 4chan id recommend using Tor, Proxy, or VPN anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a small ISP, they probably only have the one hub on the east. If you have a larger ISP, I'd call and ask about it, it's possible you're getting routed through the wrong servers on their end.

As for why you get banned: Drunk posting/ Someone spoofing your IP are the most likely if your router is as secure as you say

15+ Year Old Account
    How fucked up things do you need to post to get banned on 4chan?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you have a small ISP, they probably only have the one hub on the east. If you have a larger ISP, I'd call and ask about it, it's possible you're getting routed through the wrong servers on their end.

As for why you get banned: Drunk posting/ Someone spoofing your IP are the most likely if your router is as secure as you say
    Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Who is your ISP? Possible they are based on East coast so their information comes up as such.. Larger ISP's assign blocks to regions/cities which will narrow down location tracking

- - - Updated - - -

Well they probably use various fingerprinting methods to ban, as IPs are easily spoofed or faked or hidden. Visiting sites like 4chan id recommend using Tor, Proxy, or VPN anyways.
    It's Sweden's biggest ISP, Telia.

Now that I look at the timestamp, I wasn't even home when the alleged post was made, I was at work /shrug
    They claim it was made at 14:38, 50 minutes before I even go home.

Your ISP is probably using somthing like DS-Lite, so you share your IPv4 address with other people.

by far the most likely thing is someone has your credentials, or is targetting you and spoofing your IP (which is not difficult). Just use a VPN. i would never go to a shithole like 4chan without using a VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    by far the most likely thing is someone has your credentials, or is targetting you and spoofing your IP (which is not difficult). Just use a VPN. i would never go to a shithole like 4chan without using a VPN.
    This is what I'm thinking. Your password may be easy to identify, or you have a virus/keylogger that someone is stealing your credentials from. I'd clean your pc > add 2 factor authentication (yes MMO Champ has 2 factor) > wipe your machine if it's still occurring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    This is what I'm thinking. Your password may be easy to identify, or you have a virus/keylogger that someone is stealing your credentials from. I'd clean your pc > add 2 factor authentication (yes MMO Champ has 2 factor) > wipe your machine if it's still occurring.
    4Chan doesn't have accounts. Everything is anonymous. The only thing they have to ID you is an IP

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    4Chan doesn't have accounts. Everything is anonymous. The only thing they have to ID you is an IP
    That's my ignorance then, I never nor have wanted to visit 4chan and I missed that post from the OP. Yeah looks like spoofing then.

Unless you have a dedicated static up, you get whatever IP address is available for lease from your IP at the moment. Some ISPs are aggressive with releasing and renewing leases but they have a pool of them that get passed around their customers.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro