Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    At this point, the thing that mainly keeps me away is the structure of its content releases and the pricing for it all.

50 euros for Heart of Thorns + Path of Fire, fair enough. But on top of that it's what, 1000-ish gems per living story season, so 3k total for seasons 2-4 (and I can't even play 1 anymore) which is another 35-40 euros. That's a total of 90 euros to get back into it.

The heart of the problem is my incompatibility with the way they do the living story. I play all of the content an MMO has to offer me, then I leave until I feel there's enough new content to warrant me coming back (usually the next expansion). This means I'll always have to pay for future living story seasons too, as I'll be away from the game while they're ongoing.
    Not to be funny, cause i am far from please with the game, but all you have to do is log in every 3 months to get the living story episodes for free. Wich is basically what i do. Only had to pay for season 2.
    The story content they offer are the only worthwhile thing doing in GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post

1. The gearing

2. It's unrewarding.

3. Dead maps/metas

4. The class design and combat

5. The complexity

6. The obnoxious inventory system
    You know, I was just thinking about giving GW2 another shot, but this post reminded me of all the things I hated about it.

Nothing really, just didn't find it fun. Don't think I even reached max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    nothing.
    i play it often, and its super fun.

it's pretty much the only AAA mmo that's left
    that allows you the freedom to play as you like, whenever you like, for as long as you like,
    without being punished for not following any incentivized-minimum or limited-maximum progressions
    no daily/weekly/monthly/whatever chores or timegated progression.

the combat is tons of fun, as is the environment that urges you to explore and find things.
    plus, any jumping puzzles are my favorite kind of content during leveling/exploring.

still hoping to get A LOT more Adventure Box content though.

i dont mind having to buy for expanding my storage and all that. it's a B2P MMO with no ads.

only thing missing is player collision in WvW. other than that, its near excellent.

personally, i'd like more clearly defined roles, but even like this, it's really good.

i do agree that farming for gear takes too long and you cant really try many specs...
    but you dont need to have every spec of every class geared with ascended quality items.
    it's only like a ~10% increase in stats from exotic anyway.

but even if you want that ascended.. you know what to expect. you know you will be rewarded for your effort.
    no RNG involved. you put in the work, you get the token or currency or matterial. no slot machines.
    Hadn't read this post.

Just want to say that no, it's not a 10% difference, it's extra stats.

For example, if i want to play Chronomancer tank, it's impossible with exotics cause it requires a specific stat not found on exotics (or if there are, maybe crafted ones, they won't have the necessary amounts). I think it's concentration? It makes your buffs last longer. This is vital for the spec to work as a meta build. You are straight up not viable without ascended gear with that stat and corresponding sigils.

So, no, it's not just a min-max thing. It's stats that completely make specs viable or not. Expertise i believe makes your conditions last longer. This is vital for condi builds cause it will allow you to stack your bleed and poison applications much higher. This results in much more than just a flat 10% damage increase.

Without these stats you won't have a meta build and you can forget about raids and high fractals. If you only do casual stuff though, it's fine, but you will never feel as effective as you could be and will obviously struggle on the outworld, wich is by no means easy in the maguuma jungle, for example.
    Coupled with empty maps, you will be in for a harder time on unpopulated dynamic events.

Just started, have no idea what I'm doing, and I kind of like that.

No one I know plays it, and I am unaware if the dungeon scene is still garbage as it was at 80. Further, there's been a ton of expansion content and story to catch up on which dissuades me further. There was also the issue where I got to 80, farmed the things to make myself a level 80 weapon, and was like "COOL! I can use this to get into raiding!" then found out raiding was just outdoor bosses, did said bosses, found out I literally have the best weapon I can get, and quickly lost interest. I guess there are raids now??? idk

I tried playing this game twice. Once I got to level 30. Second time I got to level 20. What's preventing me from playing the game? Well, I never got really hooked. Leveling is a chore. I mean I walk to the location where the yellow hearts are and have to fill them for the quest, but when I get there, I don't see anything that allows me to fill the quest. So I fumble a lot trying to figure out what it is exactly I need to do to fill up these hearts. And it's just really slow to fill it up too.

It's just beyond tedious to complete these maps overall. I liked the first zone Queensdale, but Kessex Hills and Brisban Wildlands kind of suck for the level 15-25 range, and there are no other options in this bracket. Overall was expecting some group content by now too, seeing how I was level 20 or 30, but never found it. And even if I did, there's no holy trinity in the game, so not sure how group content can ever be that great when there's no structure and everyone's a dps and zerging down the dungeon.

Overall at level 20 already, it seems like I unlocked all my spells too, so there's nothing to look forward to when leveling up. The progression curve in this game is really bad. LEVELS are JUST a number and don't mean a darn thing. You will get scaled up for PvP or scaled down for entering a zone you outlevel.

What I have to say about this game is that the art and music is really good. I will not deny that, which is what motivates me to play occasionally. And since I play as Elementalist, I really like having access to all the four elements. I'm a fan of shows like Avatar the last Airbender and games like Golden Sun which revolves around the four classical elements, so in a sense it feels nice to wield these elements. Though I always stick with fire since it's the most DPS, and I feel I gimp myself by switching to the others. I wish I would still be learning new spells though, but it doesn't seem like I get rewarded that much for leveling up.

So TL;DR: It's a pain to complete maps for me, no holy trinity in the game and therefore I can't see how there will be any structure in group content, no dungeons early on to break up the monotony of completing maps, leveling up and the progression curve doesn't feel rewarding enough for me (no new spells after a certain point etc.), and I always get stuck in boring zones before I ever reach 80. Nothing kills your fun more than being stuck in a boring map that's tedious to complete.

Lack of giving a shit. Tried it, didn't click. No reason to come back.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hadn't read this post.

Just want to say that no, it's not a 10% difference, it's extra stats.

For example, if i want to play Chronomancer tank, it's impossible with exotics cause it requires a specific stat not found on exotics (or if there are, maybe crafted ones, they won't have the necessary amounts). I think it's concentration? It makes your buffs last longer. This is vital for the spec to work as a meta build. You are straight up not viable without ascended gear with that stat and corresponding sigils.

So, no, it's not just a min-max thing. It's stats that completely make specs viable or not. Expertise i believe makes your conditions last longer. This is vital for condi builds cause it will allow you to stack your bleed and poison applications much higher. This results in much more than just a flat 10% damage increase.

Without these stats you won't have a meta build and you can forget about raids and high fractals. If you only do casual stuff though, it's fine, but you will never feel as effective as you could be and will obviously struggle on the outworld, wich is by no means easy in the maguuma jungle, for example.
    Coupled with empty maps, you will be in for a harder time on unpopulated dynamic events.
    Thats inaccurate. You can cap concentration easy with exotics. If you're doing raids, you should be aiming for ascendeds anyway but all raids are balanced around exotics. The last tier of fractals requires ascended so you don't die to agony. Also, Chrono tanks have to gear slot toughness. Theres no exact number really, it depends on the encounter and how toughness the rest of your group is wearing (ideally 0). So you can be tanking with as little as one item with toughness to an entire set of Minstrels (+Toughness, +Healing, +Concentration, and +Vitality) gear.

This build is just a proof of concept. 99% boon duration, more than enough.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQJAs...6P/TJIpA2dkF-e

Gearing up in the game really isn't that hard either if you have a decent guild to guide you. We've geared people to be raid ready in a weekend if they want to push. A week to two weeks as a steady pace. If push comes to shove and we have an open slot we'll tell you to slap on one berserker exotics to earn tokens.

Maybe are you playing in off hours? I've been in Maguuma over the past week because I'm making a legendary, never had an issue with empty maps.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Thats inaccurate. You can cap concentration easy with exotics. If you're doing raids, you should be aiming for ascendeds anyway but all raids are balanced around exotics. The last tier of fractals requires ascended so you don't die to agony. Also, Chrono tanks have to gear slot toughness. Theres no exact number really, it depends on the encounter and how toughness the rest of your group is wearing (ideally 0). So you can be tanking with as little as one item with toughness to an entire set of Minstrels (+Toughness, +Healing, +Concentration, and +Vitality) gear.

This build is just a proof of concept. 99% boon duration, more than enough.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQJAs...6P/TJIpA2dkF-e

Gearing up in the game really isn't that hard either if you have a decent guild to guide you. We've geared people to be raid ready in a weekend if they want to push. A week to two weeks as a steady pace. If push comes to shove and we have an open slot we'll tell you to slap on one berserker exotics to earn tokens.

Maybe are you playing in off hours? I've been in Maguuma over the past week because I'm making a legendary, never had an issue with empty maps.
    Yes, thanks for confirming what i said in my criticism of the game on the gearing point. *Requires a guild to boost you.

Also, that is a list of stat increase %, not DPS % increases. Different things, especially when new, better stats are introduced with every expansion. Those exotics are not on the TP, i'm sure aswell, it's heavy crafting, wich just confirm my point that trying a new build is an effin time dump that isn't worthwhile whilst being unviable.

But, i don't want to start a thing, just wanted to strongly disagree.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-06-01 at 04:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    I tried playing this game twice. Once I got to level 30. Second time I got to level 20. What's preventing me from playing the game? Well, I never got really hooked. Leveling is a chore. I mean I walk to the location where the yellow hearts are and have to fill them for the quest, but when I get there, I don't see anything that allows me to fill the quest. So I fumble a lot trying to figure out what it is exactly I need to do to fill up these hearts. And it's just really slow to fill it up too.

It's just beyond tedious to complete these maps overall. I liked the first zone Queensdale, but Kessex Hills and Brisban Wildlands kind of suck for the level 15-25 range, and there are no other options in this bracket. Overall was expecting some group content by now too, seeing how I was level 20 or 30, but never found it. And even if I did, there's no holy trinity in the game, so not sure how group content can ever be that great when there's no structure and everyone's a dps and zerging down the dungeon.

Overall at level 20 already, it seems like I unlocked all my spells too, so there's nothing to look forward to when leveling up. The progression curve in this game is really bad. LEVELS are JUST a number and don't mean a darn thing. You will get scaled up for PvP or scaled down for entering a zone you outlevel.

What I have to say about this game is that the art and music is really good. I will not deny that, which is what motivates me to play occasionally. And since I play as Elementalist, I really like having access to all the four elements. I'm a fan of shows like Avatar the last Airbender and games like Golden Sun which revolves around the four classical elements, so in a sense it feels nice to wield these elements. Though I always stick with fire since it's the most DPS, and I feel I gimp myself by switching to the others. I wish I would still be learning new spells though, but it doesn't seem like I get rewarded that much for leveling up.

So TL;DR: It's a pain to complete maps for me, no holy trinity in the game and therefore I can't see how there will be any structure in group content, no dungeons early on to break up the monotony of completing maps, leveling up and the progression curve doesn't feel rewarding enough for me (no new spells after a certain point etc.), and I always get stuck in boring zones before I ever reach 80. Nothing kills your fun more than being stuck in a boring map that's tedious to complete.
    This game isn't for everyone but maybe we clear some things up.

The mechanics of hearts vary from place to place. They are all standard MMO objectives for the most part but you're given 3-4 options on how to complete them. The text on the screen should tell you how to finish them. Starter hearts are very dry and basic, especially in Queensdale. Its recommended to look out of events and do hearts in between if you want to avoid burn out (unless you're one of those people who really love doing quests).

Dungeons start at lvl 30 and every 5 levels after that. Post in lfg (in the right spot) and your group will fill up.

Where to level? You can level on any map that's no above your level (nothing is stopping you from going to higher maps though). You said you went to Kessex and Brisban, those weren't your only options at lvl 20. You could do the other start zones or go to another races 'lvl 20' map without stunting the amount of xp your gain.

You only get your weapon skills early and right away. Everything else is locked behind hero points. Your traits and utility skills have a large impact on the way a class plays. An ele with daggers, sigils and water/earth/arcane traits plays a lot different than an ele with a staff running cantrips and fire/lightning/arcane traits. And thats before you get into xpac specializations.

Leveling is a chore. I mean I walk to the location where the yellow hearts are and have to fill them for the quest, but when I get there, I don't see anything that allows me to fill the quest. So I fumble a lot trying to figure out what it is exactly I need to do to fill up these hearts.
    You are supposed to explore map and do events, most of them fill nearby hearts anyway. Hearts themselves are utterly pointless.
    I liked the first zone Queensdale, but Kessex Hills and Brisban Wildlands kind of suck for the level 15-25 range, and there are no other options in this bracket.
    You can do other starting maps and those close to them in that range (Diessa, Snowden, etc.), you'll just be downscaled and experience will be slightly lower.
    And even if I did, there's no holy trinity in the game, so not sure how group content can ever be that great when there's no structure and everyone's a dps and zerging down the dungeon.
    Mobs and bosses mostly tend to aggro on the one with highest toughness and healing is required in high end content, so this is absolutely not true.
    Overall at level 20 already, it seems like I unlocked all my spells too, so there's nothing to look forward to when leveling up. The progression curve in this game is really bad. LEVELS are JUST a number and don't mean a darn thing.
    You unlock your weapon skills early on, but there are still specializations, utility and elite skills, new weapons from elite specs and so on.
    no dungeons early on to break up the monotony of completing maps
    Ascalonian Catacombs are available starting from level 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Looks pretty, but it always felt hollow. After getting to max level no matter what gear you get has no real impact. Cool graphics but well, there it ends. For me at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, thanks for confirming what i said in my criticism of the game on the gearing point. *Requires a guild to boost you.

But, i don't want to start a thing, just wanted to disagree.

I didn't say we boost anyone. We tell them give them pointers on how to gear because it can be daunting if you don't know what is where.

Also, that is a list of stat increase %, not DPS % increases. Different things, especially when new, better stats are introduced with every expansion. Those exotics are not on the TP, i'm sure aswell, it's heavy crafting, wich just confirm my point that trying a new build is an effin time dump that isn't worthwhile whilst being unviable.
    Uh what? Different stat combinations are introduced all the time, they aren't really better or worse. The stats you said you couldn't obtain are from 4 years ago. The stats I liked are newly available to PVE but you get the same mileage out of similar stat combinations. We're talking about chrono, support chrono if you're saying Concentration is the issue. Thats Diviners or Harriers stats without getting into nuances of builds. No one is going to kick you from having one or the other, or a mix. No one is going to kick you for it being exotic or ascended. I don't believe the stats are on the TP but that would be trash anyway. Everything you need to craft the gear is on the TP though. The game has 2 two endgame tiers, a little bit of work to get into raids won't kill you.

You realize you're talking about one of the most specialized roles in the game right? One you shouldn't be playing if you're not willing to put in the work to gear in the first place.

This right here is a Diviner's glove. Takes less than 30 min to the 25 of whatever the hells to make it. Only cost 17s to make.

Sounds like you want a game where you can start fresh and endgame right away...which is fine. This game isn't built like that though.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-06-01 at 11:54 AM.

This game isn't for everyone but maybe we clear some things up.

The mechanics of hearts vary from place to place. They are all standard MMO objectives for the most part but you're given 3-4 options on how to complete them. The text on the screen should tell you how to finish them. Starter hearts are very dry and basic, especially in Queensdale. Its recommended to look out of events and do hearts in between if you want to avoid burn out (unless you're one of those people who really love doing quests).

Dungeons start at lvl 30 and every 5 levels after that. Post in lfg (in the right spot) and your group will fill up.

Where to level? You can level on any map that's no above your level (nothing is stopping you from going to higher maps though). You said you went to Kessex and Brisban, those weren't your only options at lvl 20. You could do the other start zones or go to another races 'lvl 20' map without stunting the amount of xp your gain.

You only get your weapon skills early and right away. Everything else is locked behind hero points. Your traits and utility skills have a large impact on the way a class plays. An ele with daggers, sigils and water/earth/arcane traits plays a lot different than an ele with a staff running cantrips and fire/lightning/arcane traits. And thats before you get into xpac specializations.
    Ok, well thanks for reply. I guess I didn't do my research. I'm very new to this. I'll see if I'll continue by going through other zones, perhaps complete the other starter zones. Perhaps I was pushing myself too hard when I should have been taking it more easy. You cleared some things up for me, so thanks. I always wanted to get into this game. I really did, but I always hit a wall at some point, but maybe now I'll see if I can take it further now that some things are cleared up.

I didn't say we boost anyone. We tell them give them pointers on how to gear because it can be daunting if you don't know what is where.

Uh what? Different stat combinations are introduced all the time, they aren't really better or worse. The stats you said you couldn't obtain are from 4 years ago. The stats I liked are newly available to PVE but you get the same mileage out of similar stat combinations. We're talking about chrono, support chrono if you're saying Concentration is the issue. Thats Diviners or Harriers stats without getting into nuances of builds. No one is going to kick you from having one or the other, or a mix. No one is going to kick you for it being exotic or ascended. I don't believe the stats are on the TP but that would be trash anyway. Everything you need to craft the gear is on the TP though. The game has 2 two endgame tiers, a little bit of work to get into raids won't kill you.

You realize you're talking about one of the most specialized roles in the game right? One you shouldn't be playing if you're not willing to put in the work to gear in the first place.

This right here is a Diviner's glove. Takes less than 30 min to the 25 of whatever the hells to make it. Only cost 17s to make.

Sounds like you want a game where you can start fresh and endgame right away...which is fine. This game isn't built like that though.
    You double posted.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistborn_Mote

Is this the newest map? It literally just came out. I am sure there is a catch here, because there always is with anet. This depends on the rate at wich you can get this currency. Of course, it requires max crafting so, don't forget to waste 200g or a lot of grinding hours harvesting nodes on that guys. Fun stuff!

Like, you are not saying anything new there. Of course there are stats better than others for different specs, but the justification: "of course you shouldn't be trying this combination cause it's for pro's" that is one of the biggest problems i have with the game. If you are so adamant in hiding player choice between weeks of grinding, that is exactly why i don't play the game regularly anymore. I have better things to do.
    If you play WoW or any other vertical progression mmo, you got catch up areas where in a couple of days you got a full set to try whatever you want to play. Healer, dps, tank, whatever. You are up and running. You get to try new and exciting things. In GW2, there needs to be this wall preventing you to do it cause they don't have vertical progression. So, everything turns into a heavy grind.

Anyways yeah, that's it. I will try the new map eventually. If they got an easier to get concentration set good for them. The game needs more of that.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-06-01 at 10:46 AM.

Of course, it requires max crafting so, don't forget to waste 200g or a lot of grinding hours harvesting nodes on that guys.
    Not sure where you get that, exotic version requires level 400 profession, which costs about 30g to reach according to GW2Crafts.
    Looking for Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Not sure where you get that, exotic version requires level 400 profession, which costs about 30g to reach according to GW2Crafts.
    Glad they seem to be giving people more reasonable means.

After i play the latest episode i will see how it truly plays out and if it makes enough of a difference. I have a feeling there is a catch here you're not sharing like how difficult those motes are to get. If they aren't huge grinds and theres more options stat wise, then there might be hope yet.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-06-01 at 01:54 PM.

Glad they seem to be giving people more reasonable means.

After i play the latest episode i will see how it truly plays out and if it makes enough of a difference. I have a feeling there is a catch here you're not sharing like how difficult those motes are to get. If they aren't huge grinds and theres more options stat wise, then there might be hope yet.
    There are plenty nodes on map, they drop from meta, you can buy them from vendors (this option is limited). I doubt you'll have much trouble getting them, I have around 90 and I still progress Skyscale collection instead of running meta.
    Looking for Raid.