Poll: Are loyalty oaths to foreign nations normal?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is it common for people in your country to sign loyalty pledges to other nations?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...e-13483003.php

Too many Texans have already been subjected to this ill-considered mandate. Last year, this law prompted the city of Dickinson to require residents to pledge not to boycott Israel in order to receive aid in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. After public outcry, the city limited the requirement to businesses rather than individual homeowners.

Is it still anti-semitic to say Jews control the government when your own government won't help you recover from a hurricane unless you swear an oath to a foreign government?

Yeah but Texas sure showed those liberals.

Boycotting Israel is supporting terrorism by proxy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    How much is the Isrealli government paying you?

It should be a matter of personal opinion whether or not to boycott Israel.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    This has got to be one of the most stupidest statements I've seen someone make on here.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Boycotting Israel is stupid, but It's unpatriotic and borderline treasonous to try and prevent someone from doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    Boycotting Israel is stupid, but It's unpatriotic and borderline treasonous to try and prevent someone from doing it.
    This is why I show support for my country by sitting down with a hat on during the national anthem. Those fuckers fought for my right to do it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Loyalty pledge? Oh America, you so silly.

No, we don't do any of that. For our own country or any other one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    hilarious that in one go they took an action that goes against both the constitution and the idea of a free market all in one swift move

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I don't personally boycott Israel (though I am tempted every time Netanyahu does something truly horrible), I think it is deeply wrong for any laws to be passed either for or against doing so. First of all, it's stupid. Do they plan on going into people's homes to make sure that the person has purchased the required allotment of items from Israeli companies? But more importantly, for capitalism to work people MUST be able to decide who they do or do not want to do business with (as long as no crime is committed). The entire concept of free market forces revolves around the idea of people supporting or punishing groups who do right or wrong by either purchasing from them or boycotting them.

In general, I think one of the bigger problems that capitalism faces at the moment is that people don't boycott frequently enough (or seriously enough) for it to be the check it's supposed to be. It is a major tool for the general population to say what it wants and make things happen above even our own governments. If you tell a company that the government is debating regulations on a specific action, they'll probably lobby against it, and even if they lose they'll drag out changing anything as long as they possibly can, even sometimes eating the fines if they think they're making more money off of breaking the law than they would by abiding by it. But if you tell that very same company that nobody is buying their product because of a specific action they're taking, there will be a race to see who can fix it the fastest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Loyalty pledge? Oh America, you so silly.

No, we don't do any of that. For our own country or any other one.
    We don't do that here in America....as for Texas I had no idea that was even a thing down there.

I have never seen it. But I guess out of 330 million people or so in the USA some might do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not against or for Israel, what's going on over there ain't got jack shit to do with the average American.

I'm sure the defenders of free speech will take a stand any day now....knowing them they are probably marching to the governor of Texas right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    We don't do that here in America....as for Texas I had no idea that was even a thing down there.
    I've lived in Texas my entire life, and I've never heard of anything like this, at all.

Yeah, contractors probably should be exempt but besides that nothing wrong with the law tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Capitalist View Post
    Yeah, contractors probably should be exempt but besides that nothing wrong with the law tbh.
    Of course you of all people would want to attack capitalism and free speech.

Clearly, your new username is dead wrong. Why on Earth would you support a law that forces people to not boycott?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2019-06-01 at 08:01 PM.

Come on Texas... what the fuck is this bullshit? Is this fake/hyperbole news? I really hope so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...e-13483003.php

Too many Texans have already been subjected to this ill-considered mandate. Last year, this law prompted the city of Dickinson to require residents to pledge not to boycott Israel in order to receive aid in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. After public outcry, the city limited the requirement to businesses rather than individual homeowners.
    Wait what? Is this really a thing? Isn't that Communism or something?
    Is it still anti-semitic to say Jews control the government when your own government won't help you recover from a hurricane unless you swear an oath to a foreign government?
    I would say at this point it's technically correct to say they control the government.