Thread: [Movie] Aladdin

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Saw the movie and like the story choices they kept and differed from the animated version. I didn't like the amount of lines delivered while partly singing. Aladdin's singing parts were also not great. Jasmine and Genie nailed their singing roles perfectly, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Have any of the Disney live adaptions been good? Half of barely get any marketing in the first place.
    I enjoyed Maleficient, even though it's a spin-off of Sleeping Beauty rather than an adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Fair but then again wasn't Robin Williams basically playing Robin Williams in the movie complete with gratuitous out of place for the setting pop culture references everywhere int he original too?
    They actually rewrote entire parts of the movie because of Williams improv.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Have any of the Disney live adaptions been good? Half of barely get any marketing in the first place.
    Live Action Jungle Book was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I feel like Kaa was overhyped in the promotional material (especially considering how he was defeated off screen) but other than that it was a pretty good movie.

It would be nice if we got an adaptation that was truer to the books though. It really sucks they we never get to see heroic Kaa...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I know a lot of people liked that one, I didn't care for it honestly.

So for me I am still waiting for the good Disney live action remake... Its horrible how bad they have all been, this is frikkin Disney, what the hell is going wrong?
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The Jungle Book was good, but I don’t think that was a 1:1 adaption of the animation, so that’s probably why.

5+ Year Old Account
    oh lol

That Jasmine song where she was snapping the guards like Thanos came out of nowhere, wtf was that? Song tune didn't even fit with the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently the movie did pretty well in the box office and Memorial weekend isn't even over yey

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    oh lol

Wait. There's a romance subplot for the genie?

Went in with middling expectations and I thought it was actually a pretty fun movie. It has a really nice pace to it from the start, doesn't drag or anything. Jafar was a decent fit, and Will Smith kind of grew on me even though I still can't help but feel there was probably someone out there better for the part. Not a masterpiece by any means, but I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    That Jasmine song where she was snapping the guards like Thanos came out of nowhere, wtf was that? Song tune didn't even fit with the rest.
    Yeah that scene was kind of...out of place? Jasmine is pushed pretty hard as a not-so-subtle beacon for female empowerment in a patriarchal society. There will probably be a fair amount of people that fiercely love or hate that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Yeah. It doesn't really add a whole lot other than give him more reason to want to live as a mortal. Pretty forgettable sidebar to the story, but the object of his affection is actually pretty funny in the screen time that she gets.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2019-05-29 at 07:06 AM.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Yes it saved millions in CGI because it gave Will Smith an excuse to be Will Smith and not the Genie.

Although reports are he did decent at the role, so props for him if that is true.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Very Good:
    - Jungle Book
    - Beauty and the Beast
    Good to Ok:
    - Cinderella
    Meh:
    - Both Alice in Wonderland Movies
    Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?!?:
    - Dumbo

Haven't seen yet.
    - Christopher Robin
    - Aladdin

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to watch it tonight.

Will post thoughts afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I liked some of the differences too, I didn't want a 1 for 1 port from the 1992 movie to 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You rate Beauty and the Beast as “very good”? Emma Watson was absolutely horrendous in it - she can’t act for shit. And Belle was way more forceful, like they had to make her an empowered female character cause I guess she’s wasn't in the cartoon or something. Bleh.
    Well at least they didn't have her kill Gaston in the movie.

Nah, instead the movie just decides he needs to die now and a piece of the castle gives way under him.

Everyone should just stick with the originals.

My review on the movie that I posted in another thread:

My expectations were really high because of growing up watching the original cartoon. Still, I went in there with an open mind but was sadly disappointed.

All the characters (except Genie) fell flat. There was no enthusiasm or life brought into the characters. It was like they were just reading their lines and checking boxes. I also didn’t like how they made Jasmine all “I am woman, hear me roar”. It was obnoxious and so was her new “they won’t silence me” song - it made absolutely no sense in that scene. Jasmine, in the cartoon, was an opinionated woman and had a strong presence about her, but it never felt like they wanted to shove female empowerment down your throat like they did with this newer Jasmine.

Will Smith tried, I give him that, but he just didn’t compare to Robin William's fun-loving version. Still, he was enjoyable in his own way, just not as much.

There was also a lot of scenes I would have loved to have played out exactly like they did in the original, like the whole ending with Jafar, but it seems they just went a different route with a lot of them. Maybe to save money, idk, but it felt boring and not as magical. The world just felt smaller and not as grand... more normal.

I pretty much disliked every character except Genie. Not really happy with it, but my kids liked it so it’s whatever.
    I have a feeling this is what the Lion King is gonna feel like.

These live remakes are pointless if you are gonna more or less copy it word for word.

I mean whats the point seeing the lion king if you know how it ends? Do you really wanna spend money to see a cartoon turn into CGI?

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I also didn’t like how they made Jasmine all “I am woman, hear me roar”. It was obnoxious and so was her new “they won’t silence me” song - it made absolutely no sense in that scene. Jasmine, in the cartoon, was an opinionated woman and had a strong presence about her, but it never felt like they wanted to shove female empowerment down your throat like they did with this newer Jasmine
    Middle East/India are champions for womans rights so of course it makes sense to put that stuff in a kids movie set in that part of the world.....

(I know india is not in the middle east but aladdin is a mix of both cultures.)
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

5+ Year Old Account
    Haven't seen it yet, but do they have the red fat talking parrot?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Middle East/India are champions for womans rights so of course it makes sense to put that stuff in a kids movie set in that part of the world.....

(I know india is not in the middle east but aladdin is a mix of both cultures.)
    I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but India has been a matriarchal society for thousands of years, which was slightly subjugated by the Mughal (Islamic) invasion but is still present. India elected its first female leader IN THE 60s, less than 20 years after its independence, 13 years before Britain's first female PM, while we still haven't managed to do that in the USA 50+ years later.

That being said, Aladdin has nothing to do with India or Indian culture. It's entirely an Arabian story. Unless you want to consider the presence of a Bengal tiger the sign of Indian culture.