Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Lvl 10 is nowhere near enough time to tell if anything feels "off" with the leveling experience. It's like a tiny fraction of the 1-60 leveling time.

Dunno about OP but from what I've played so far it feels exactly how I remember and paced exactly how I remember

Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    I tested leveling various classes to 10 and noticed leveling was too fast paced. I remember having to take mana breaks after 1-2 mobs and you couldn't solo 1-2 mobs above you. Anyone else noticed this too?
    unfortunately a product of playing the game so long ago, private servers throwing off expectations, and most importantly IMO: in classic you are leveling in 1.12, not launch. there are numerous system changes and class improvements over the course of classic's twelve content patches

Private Server were definitely harder but its not faster. Its actually slower because I noticed on Private Servers lots of patrols were missing and lots of Mobs didn't have the right /any Spells.

Stress test leveling: priest prior to power word: shield and a wand was a bit rough (I used multiple healing potions with a +armor elixir - I had decided that herbs/alchemy would be a faster return on investment than tailoring/enchanting with a character who could just level to 10). However, I mostly played in groups because I could and it was friendly. I handed out some health potions and strength elixirs. I got an armor kit in return for my chest. I purchased the lesser magic wand (level 5 crafted wand) from AH for around 70s (big thanks to the person posting those). Once I had both the shield and the wand, nothing really phased me (kept the +armor elixir up for things like "server burped and I log back in to being in combat with 2 spiders" kind of moments).

Paladin to level 5 was much more durable (yay for armor) and had no difficulties. Druid to 5 was also more durable (leather over cloth). Warlock to 5 was also easier than priest (yay pet). Also, I apparently have a love for a really squishy class that is into tedium. Whatever. People love me anyway.

Something is still not right, there wasn't really any challenge at all.
    It wasnt a challenge to level back then either, sure it took time becouse of the low exp gain from mobs and high exp per level and no mounts, but it wasnt challenging at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Herris View Post
    I think it really depends on many factors but from my experience I think it is fine. Lower levels were never meant to be slow, and if you played vanilla on release the game itself was different to classic, especially daze was much more dangerous.

It is very well documented that the vanilla leveling world record was 4 days 20 hours, and the first 10 levels takes no time at all, can get to level 20 in 2-3 hours if you really know what you are doing and have no interruptions.

On vanilla release, there was nothing but interruptions, tons of overcrowding, bugged mobs, lack of quest markers/direction slows the whole thing down. If you "test" on an empty beta server with no competition and you know where to go it doesn't really take that long.
    There is no way in hell that you'll be able to go from 1 to 20 in 2-3 hours.
    Even tho I was just 15 years old during 2006 and BC might have released at this point (no sure if this was done in 1.12 or in 2.0 but exp rates where the same). I leveled a Hunter as my 3rd tauren char so I knew all the quest pritty well level 20 was done in 19 hours. It was my goal to do it in 1 sitting.
    Now I know you can do it alot quicker but even looking a Joanas leveling guide the 1-20 time is just above 11 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Even the optimized leveling guides (I used Jame's guide for my pally back in TBC) has *some* grinding sessions. You may be able to bypass them with 2x xp and/or dungeons, though.

Edit: also, running between the said zones may end up getting time consuming compared to just grinding, unless you use an optimized path.
    There is a difference between "playing the game optimally" (using a leveling guide) and "just playing the game". In the former you would exclude quests that take too long, for example if you have to take long detours for barely any amount of EXP. A good example would be the one quest in Undercity which sends you to the lake and back and that a few times. You can easily just kill 10-20 mobs and probably get the same amount of exp or more than it would take you to run from A to B and back.

If you just play the game without a guide you would just do those quests. It may take longer but it would also result in you not having to grind. And I think that it was the quoted person referred to.

Frankly I don't give a shit what you believe. Here is the thing. Level 1-10 goes by fairly quickly. As you gain levels the amount of time it takes to get through each level takes longer. That doesn't mean you run out of quests necessarily. But it does take longer. Grinding is involved to keep leveling easier so you don't have to constantly sit drink/bandage after each and every mob. Did you fucking miss what I said about trying to keep mobs that are easy to kill which are green? Did I say you were running out of quests? No, I just said the leveling slowed down, and you will want to grind some as you go to make it easier. As for Redridge at 15? Yeah good fucking luck with that. Try around 20-22 is when you should be starting that to make it easier and less painful.

Perhaps level to 30 and then 60 before making such an assessment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did the same with warrior and mage, does seem a little bit easier than before. Dont remember 2 hitting mobs as a warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    There is a difference between "playing the game optimally" (using a leveling guide) and "just playing the game". In the former you would exclude quests that take too long, for example if you have to take long detours for barely any amount of EXP. A good example would be the one quest in Undercity which sends you to the lake and back and that a few times. You can easily just kill 10-20 mobs and probably get the same amount of exp or more than it would take you to run from A to B and back.

If you just play the game without a guide you would just do those quests. It may take longer but it would also result in you not having to grind. And I think that it was the quoted person referred to.
    Also one should consider that along the way to 60 you usually visit most of the dungeons at least a few times for gear which also gives you XP. I wouldn't consider it a "grind" in these cases. In addition, traveling around also requires you to kill enemies from time to time for various reasons (gathering materials for professions or simply being attacked because you walked through the area). I remember that back then I made it to level 60 and I still had quite a few quest areas available to me.

I wasn't finished in Un'goro, Winterspring and Western Plaguelands were pretty much untouched at that point. I had some stuff open in Feldwood as well. Silithus didn't even have anything yet. Oh and Searing Gorge also had big re-work later in Vanilla. So I hadn't done to much over there neither. I think I had done most of the stuff in the Burning Steppes though.

As a druid with the highest level back then I had so many group invites though for dungeons. I went into level 60 dungeons long before I even was level 60...

Something is still not right, there wasn't really any challenge at all.
    Blizzard has litteraly comfirmed that the numbers are right. What you "feel" about something that you expereinced over 15 years ago matters little here.

I didn't level many casters until WotLK, so my only experience early on was with a mage. I seem to recall what most folks are saying, 1-10 wasn't really a problem. The problem as I remember was after fighting mobs in Westfall. That's when I had to be sure to only pull one at a time, and had to drink very often.

Hunter/Rogue/Enh Shaman/Warrior, it was just a matter of eating when my health got low. Most of them still only fought one mob at a time when I could help it. Enh Shaman, I think, was better for fighting multiples, when I over-pulled, due to his self heal. (if memory serves).

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

I remember my level 1 - 10 experience, and it was really difficult... until I realized it wasn't a top-down game and I could move the camera around my character. Seriously thought I had to use the map to know where to move like Diablo. Pretty sure my classic experience in the lvl 1 -10 bracket this summer will feel easier.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Having to stop and drink and/or eat after every couple of mobs is considered...desirable?
    Yes it is.

I can see you never played RPGs prior to Oblivion if that amount of downtime is a problem for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Having to stop and drink and/or eat after every couple of mobs is considered...desirable?
    Yws it is. Becouse if you dont have mana your mana it takes away lot from game. It breakes immersion. Makes killing mobs easier, lot of profession crafts are absolote (mana potion, etc.). I actualy care about my weapon more as caster, becouse i actualy use my weapon for dmg to finish of mobs or when i go oom. As healer am using multiple ranks for heals to be more efficent with mana and not overheal which is waste of mana. You have to buy mana drinks. Mana drinks cost money = you ask fellow mage for food = you interact with player = community is created. This just couple of things what mana managment aspect can do. It is such simple mechanic and yet creates really huge in game dinamics what would never happen if you would neverngo oom.

You clearly half arsed the test to level 10 and came straight on here to troll. First 10 levels kind of a given to the players as more of a tutorial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to point out here. I was saying that even in guides that optimize your xp/h, there may be some grinding sessions included in. Granted, if your objectif is to 100% quest, you may, but perhaps it would not be enough Horde side.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to point out here. I was saying that even in guides that optimize your xp/h, there may be some grinding sessions included in. Granted, if your objectif is to 100% quest, you may, but perhaps it would not be enough Horde side.
    None of which is necessary because there's more than enough quests to level up without grinding. Which was the point of these posts. It also includes the final stretch of 50-60, where it's often stated that you *had* to grind, which is an obvious lie.