Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hunter Tricks with Shadowmeld

Hi, i never main-ed a hunter in vanilla, so i was wondering..

were there any tricks you could do with Shadowmeld as a hunter back in vanilla?

I mean, when soloing instances and such.

Cause i'm planning on rolling a hunter this time, and i would really preffer to be a dwarf.
    But if there are any tricks you can only do with Shadowmeld, i might reconsider.

Thanks for your time.

Aimed Shot doesn't interrupt Shadowmeld until it goes off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post

Cause i'm planning on rolling a hunter this time, and i would really preffer to be a dwarf.
    But if there are any tricks you can only do with Shadowmeld, i might reconsider.

Thanks for your time.
    shadowmeld mostly worked with rogues, which made shadowmeld stronger as rogues had stronger stealths, and shadowmeld was considered such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Aimed Shot doesn't interrupt Shadowmeld until it goes off.
    yeah, that's only until patch 1.10 then it takes you out when you start casting.

My warrior will probably be a night elf...nothing like some scrub trying to cap Stables and you charge out of stealth in OP gear and gank ‘em.

Hunters have feign death though so I don’t think they get as much from shadowmeld, although I’m sure there’s a few tricks.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account

Thanks for your time.
    It gives you advantage in pvp is about it. When your pvp trinket is on cool down you can use this to get the jump on people. If you have a cat with stealth as well its really great for holding capture points.

Not sure if it works in this version of classic, but back ni the day you had some small tricks that would help you like:

- FD, food, shadowmeld
    - aimed shot from shadowmeld
    - mount from shadowmeld (you would re-appear when mounted, nice for escapes)

Thanks for your time.
    You couldn't lay traps in combat. Shadowmeld let you drop combat and lay another trap. Not sure how pets play into that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    You couldn't lay traps in combat. Shadowmeld let you drop combat and lay another trap. Not sure how pets play into that, though.
    Cant (and could not since ages in Vanilla) be used in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    ummmmm, shadowmeld has and will always be usable in combat. How else do you think the nelf could use it right at a wipe to stay alive and still reset the fight,
    Never believe you have seen the peak of human stupidity and ignorance, or you will constantly be surprised by the new levels the reach almost every day

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbalt View Post
    ummmmm, shadowmeld has and will always be usable in combat. How else do you think the nelf could use it right at a wipe to stay alive and still reset the fight,
    Common misconception - you could never Shadowmeld in combat until Wotlk when it was changed to be able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    100% correct.

It is -the racial- the only reason I will role Alliance for 2 reasons: Shadow Priest / MM hunter with cat.

In my alliance guild we had a R14 Nightelf shadow priest who would start WSG near mid in Shadowmeld, as horde came by fear bomb and nuke a target down .. It was a sight to behold!
    Last edited by Cempa; 2019-06-03 at 08:17 AM.

Eat/drink in Shadowmeld.
    Defend flag room hidden in shadowmeld.
    Shadowmeld to skip patrols in dungeons.

Can't really think of that many other uses.
    As people already said, Shadowmeld wasn't usable in combat undtil some time in Wrath.

In vanilla shadowmeld could not be used in combat. It was a crappier version of stealth that broke stealth just by moving. As others mentioned, it's useful for some things like starting to eat and then meld so eating doesn't get interrupted or to guard flags in BGs. I remember using it to quickly hide from groups of hordies in caves where there's no easy escape etc.

Please check facts before spreading miss-information, thanks.

Just to put another nail in the coffin, I can 100% confirm that SM is not currently usable in combat in the stress tests.

Your pet is actually pretty tough in vanilla. It can kind of throw people off if you send in your pet while in SM. Instinctually they will look for you, and after 2 secs give up then start to fight the pet. Thats when you open up on them.
    Last edited by last1214; 2019-06-03 at 08:47 AM.

Going AFK in the world on a PVP server. I'm rolling a NE hunter just for this racial as well. I think there's a lot of BG and WPVP implications, especially if you use a cat. That said, is there a macro that would trigger shadowmeld and prowl?

You could just like read a vanilla wow wiki or just make a level 1 NE on a private server to find out that's dead wrong. If you could Shadowmeld in combat literally every Alliance Rogue you'd have seen would be NE. The way Hunter lays traps in a fight is FD.

Vanish > Shadowmeld was the thing people might be thinking of. Shadowmeld could not be used in combat.

As a levelling warrior I'd use it if I saw horde warriors squaring up so I'd get the opening charge on them as that's a moderate advantage in War vs War when levelling as *usually* your gear is a bit shite and you're rage starved in PvP.

Other than that, it's for when you need to go AFK to take a piss but you're out in the game world and don't wanna hearth or be killed while you're away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hehalol View Post
    It gives you advantage in pvp is about it. When your pvp trinket is on cool down you can use this to get the jump on people. If you have a cat with stealth as well its really great for holding capture points.
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    100% correct.

It is -the racial- the only reason I will role Alliance for 2 reasons: Shadow Priest / MM hunter with cat.

In my alliance guild we had a R14 Nightelf shadow priest who would start WSG near mid in Shadowmeld, as horde came by fear bomb and nuke a target down .. It was a sight to behold!
    Quote Originally Posted by RainBoi View Post
    Eat/drink in Shadowmeld.
    Defend flag room hidden in shadowmeld.
    Shadowmeld to skip patrols in dungeons.

Can't really think of that many other uses.
    As people already said, Shadowmeld wasn't usable in combat undtil some time in Wrath.
    I find Stoneform much more useful in PvP.
    You can remove Rend/Deep Wounds, Rupture/Poisons, then Bandage.

As for patrols in dungeons... Can't you just Feign Death after you get aggro? I'm pretty sure you could.

And thanks for reminding me that you needed to be out of combat to lay traps. What a stupid thing :\

Does anyone remember if your name is showing in red, when you are in Feign Death?
    Say.. you FD defending a point in AB... does your name appear over your head in red?

Quote Originally Posted by bshoults View Post
    Going AFK in the world on a PVP server. I'm rolling a NE hunter just for this racial as well. I think there's a lot of BG and WPVP implications, especially if you use a cat. That said, is there a macro that would trigger shadowmeld and prowl?
    i'm not sure.
    Classic will be using the retail macro system, not the vanilla one.
    I guess it would be possible to have castsequence or some sort, but i'm no macro expert.

no my friend. Shadowmeld was not usable during combat in Vanilla.
    i am 100% certain of it.
    i think you are confusing it with later expansion. i do it all the time as well.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-06-03 at 02:15 PM.