Thread: [Movie] Aladdin

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but India has been a matriarchal society for thousands of years, which was slightly subjugated by the Mughal (Islamic) invasion but is still present. India elected its first female leader IN THE 60s, less than 20 years after its independence, 13 years before Britain's first female PM, while we still haven't managed to do that in the USA 50+ years later.

That being said, Aladdin has nothing to do with India or Indian culture. It's entirely an Arabian story. Unless you want to consider the presence of a Bengal tiger the sign of Indian culture.
    Tigers and elephants are not in the middle East. Also Guy Ritchie clearly doesn't know the difference because the costumes and art design is way more Indian styled than Arabic. The building designs seem more Indian as well like jasmine's palace
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-06-02 at 07:27 PM.

I haven't seen this new Aladdin, but the cartoon version the palace is distinctly Arabian. If you're thinking of the Taj Mahal in India, btw, that's an Islamic style of architecture, built by a Mughal prince (IE, imported from Arabia).

And North Africa had elephants (cf Hannibal), it's not infeasible that a prince coming to court Jasmine had elephants if he was from that region. Elephants exist in both Asia and Africa. Although if the new movie is suggesting Jasmine and her father had elephants, that'd be a bit weird, because I don't think anyone in the true Middle East had much success having elephants.

A singular tiger are the only truly Indian part of the original Aladdin, and that could have been imported. It was never really implied that there were stables of tigers everywhere, it was a very exotic pet.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I haven't seen this new Aladdin, but the cartoon version the palace is distinctly Arabian. If you're thinking of the Taj Mahal in India, btw, that's an Islamic style of architecture, built by a Mughal prince (IE, imported from Arabia).

And North Africa had elephants (cf Hannibal), it's not infeasible that a prince coming to court Jasmine had elephants if he was from that region. Elephants exist in both Asia and Africa. Although if the new movie is suggesting Jasmine and her father had elephants, that'd be a bit weird, because I don't think anyone in the true Middle East had much success having elephants.

A singular tiger are the only truly Indian part of the original Aladdin, and that could have been imported. It was never really implied that there were stables of tigers everywhere, it was a very exotic pet.
    I didn't know that the taj mahal was designed Arabic style. I thought it was a rather unique gift to a wife. I do admit I'm not an expert in middle East/india culture I just always got Indian vibes from aladdin but what your saying does make sense. The tiger is clearly a pet for the rich and could have been imported and "Prince Ali" could in theory bring elephants as a display of wealth

Yeah, the Taj was built by a Muslim prince after the Mughal dynasty invaded and took root in India. It's not a "native" Indian type of architecture, though most Indians are fairly proud of their Islamic ties (though less so these days).

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Tigers and elephants are not in the middle East. Also Guy Ritchie clearly doesn't know the difference because the costumes and art design is way more Indian styled than Arabic. The building designs seem more Indian as well like jasmine's palace
    maybe something in between like persian ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post
    haha maybe

My only point was its pretty funny having a LAYDEE sing about not being silenced when that top shes seeing showing off a bit of cleavage would be enough to get her beaten for being disrespectful/slutty, and if she touched another dudes dick she would get stoned to death.

So...you wont keep me silent....?

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post
    Given that One Thousand and One Nights is an arabic collection of tales of Persian and Indian origin yeah
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Saw it tonight. Decent movie but alot of changes from the original story. Also fuck that PC female empowerment shit with Jasmine.

Atleast they kept the fantasy theme alive with an unveiled scarcely dressed arab chick showing cleavage and talking smack to men.

- - - Updated - - -

Middle East/India are champions for womans rights so of course it makes sense to put that stuff in a kids movie set in that part of the world.....

(I know india is not in the middle east but aladdin is a mix of both cultures.)
    To be fair, having jasmine gangraped and then stoned to death wouldnt really be appealing to children.

5+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they all look like latinos n not middle eastern

Jasmine is half-Indian, half-white, but that's about it. I think the rest are all Middle Eastern (except Will smith of course).

A nice kids movie... but with too much politics shoveled in. "You won't keep me silent", yes of course, haha.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Honestly, they all look like latinos n not middle eastern
    When my dad (hes from India) goes to mexico on holiday he's often confused for being mexican.

Quote Originally Posted by yetgdhfgh View Post
    The Genie not being voiced by Robin Williams just sounds like sacrilege to me
    Unfortunately we've already established genies won't bring people back from the dead.

7+ Year Old Account
    ‘Aladdin’ Flying Past $1 Billion at Worldwide Box Office
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...de-1203281071/

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    guess that means we'll be getting a sequel...

....yay.

guess that means we'll be getting a sequel...

....yay.
    Maybe they'll make a more balanced trilogy with Return of Jaffar and King of Thieves...
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    Flying past? More like crawling. But over 1 billion is still over 1 billion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never intended to give this shithole company any money for these horrendous remakes. My brother downloaded a copy of it from Russia or another country and sadly was forced to watch this pirate copy with my nephews.. well more like ignoring it as much as possible looking on my phone while the kids watched it.

It really is as bad as people have reviewed it, the songs have been butchered, the visuals are dark and unappealing, will smith is just being will smith, not the genie, and I can't remember a single good performance or aspect of the other actors that remotely stands out.

They even butchered some of my fav characters like Iago, removing him entirely.

Fuck this movie, 1/10

Although I do have to wonder, how many people here only went to see this movie, because that cast actually consisted of people of middle Eastern decent, as opposed to the animated original having white actors playing Arabian characters. Can imagine a lot of progressives only went to see it and loved it for that shallow reason.