Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Its not about size, its about engine. V8 sedan will pollute more than small SUV.

Just tax per engine size, like its done in many countries already. That would discourage people from buying cars with huge polluting engines. Tax anything over 2 litres into oblivion, tax V6 and V8 so much that manufacturers would abandon those engines.
    Ehh, most of the time it's really meant to get people off the road and into public transportation. That doesn't work well in the US -- we're too large. Texas, alone, is twice the size of Germany. Texas is one state.

Further, if you want to argue that then you need to argue banning pets because of waste. They aren't "needed" and produce a small amount of pollution.

And more yet, you don't need to tax engine size. Larger engines use more fuel by nature. This means more gas. Gas is not tax-free, contrary to what you think.

And yet even more, Size of the vehicle and aerodynamics do matter. A van with an engine that can barely pull its weight will ultimately use more gas than one that can hit it efficiently. Not that this is really an issue anymore though. Back in the day though...

Finally, the overwhelming majority of pollution comes to diesel boats. The *really* big ones. Going nuclear is not cheap.

So the question I must ask you is: Do you want change to make yourself feel better or do you want change that is supported by math and science for a better world?

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    What the fuck u on about? Asphalt is oil waste + gravel. What "quality materials"?

Quality of roads depend on things like weather temperatures, like those in chicago with hot indian summers n arctic cold windy winters...regions that have steady temperatures, even if constantly hot, fare better.

Then there's constant wear from cars..

Roads in chicago are swizz cheese with potholes.

People don't understand there's cold asphalt and hot asphalt. Cold asphalt is just asphalt slapped in and rarely lasts. Hot asphalt is the nice smooth high ways you get. But most of them have an opinion about a field they know two shits about.

I think owners should be charged their annual license fee based on the weight of the car at time of purchase. Heavier cars do more damage to the road and generally emit more pollution (relative to smaller cars of around the same year of make), so the fees should be more. Disincentivize people from buying large SUVs when they generally don't need them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I would agree with regulating sizes on SUVs it's more than gotten out of hand.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    They are bigger than regular cars without being able to go offroad better than a regular car. The only good thing about them is that they are spacious, but so are hatchbacks.
    Are you the new Finnish Nerd? All of your threads are complete and utter nonsense.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    I think owners should be charged their annual license fee based on the weight of the car at time of purchase. Heavier cars do more damage to the road and generally emit more pollution (relative to smaller cars of around the same year of make), so the fees should be more. Disincentivize people from buying large SUVs when they generally don't need them.
    Not true... Your typical road could easily handle a large jet... in terms of weight... Most cars are about 2k weight.. SUV's 4k Semi's are probably 10-20 times the weight of most SUV's.

Your biggest road destroyer.. Water + Winter.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    They are bigger than regular cars without being able to go offroad better than a regular car. The only good thing about them is that they are spacious, but so are hatchbacks.
    Well, they aren't much bigger, and, in reality, most of the newer ones can go offroad much better than a regular car (but just not quite as well as a 4WD).

Being spacious isn't the only good thing about them. Most AWD use a lot of electronic sensors to provide better handling in bad weather, including snow and ice.

But you don't have to believe me on these points...try reading up on modern day AWD systems.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/a...to-choose.html

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...need/index.htm

So, for the few points that you've brought up, they aren't really true.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    What a super concise version of untruths. Well done! Or do you really think a Honda Civic can go the same places that a Chevy Tahoe can?

I can see a small point where a lot of people own vehicles perhaps larger than they ever use, and I don't understand why they make SUV's that are 2WD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    So 40 US MPG? That's about the same as my 13 years old 7 seater minivan gets on highway. You call that good for modern light weight car with small wind resistance? My car is much heavier, has wind resistance of a brick and gets same mileage from 1.8l 4 cylinder engine.
    Keep in mind the EPA rated mpg is usually a lie. No Corvette is listed to do 30mpg or 40mpg on the highway but there are lots of people doing it. Lots of Diesel Volkswagens that do 50mpg when they weren't listed to do so. Do I doubt a Ford Galaxy can do 40 MPG? No, I don't but the problem is when you need to push the car faster or you just happen to have a heavy foot, that's when the MPG will drop. A Corvette with an aggressive driver will suck down gas, but a Prius with an aggressive driver will suck it down inefficiently as it'll be using that extra gas to cool down the engine in "Wide Open Throttle". Yes a 1.8l engine will be more conservative when driven conservatively but so can a V8. A heavy SUV though cannot be made as efficient as a Sedan or a Couple simply because of the added weight. You can have the most fuel efficient engine in the world but a heavy vehicle will make it consume more fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    If you care so much about the environment that you think SUVs are the problem, then you should be vegan. Nothing one individual person can do for the environment is more effective than going vegan.
    What, are my farts gonna pollute less if I don't eat meat or something? Pretty sure my portion ends up in the bin post-production rather than not be produced at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lakylog View Post
    What, are my farts gonna pollute less if I don't eat meat or something? Pretty sure my portion ends up in the bin post-production rather than not be produced at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...eat_production
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Uh no, I need an SUV for my business which pays my bills and keeps me from being homeless. A hatchback car is not big enough.I don't need a car of SUV to go off road but I do need it to be able to carry a lot.

15+ Year Old Account
    id like to see ur honda civic be anywhere near as good offroad as my durango...

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    You should go to the US and drive around a bit, their roads are absolute garbage and maintenance is extremely rare.
    wrong.

/10

I love my Jeep Patriot. It is a cheap SUV that has never once failed me in the past 5 years other than the normal wear and tear. Actually, I've only had to replace tires and do oil changes so far. Extremely efficient vehicle for me.

I'll probably have to replace the brakes in a year or two. I'll be trading it in anyway, got my eyes on another SUV or a Sedan. Not sure yet. Waiting to see what's in the market 2 years down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Most small cars don't have the necessary headroom for a long-waisted guy who is 6'2" tall. We found that out last time we were looking for a new vehicle.

We have two small SUVs with 4-cylinder engines. They work fine, and get good mileage, as long as I don't try to pull a trailer.
    Yup, that's what a Jeep Patriot is. I like it a lot. Small engine, great mileage and 4x4 capable. I need 4x4 for the inclement weather in the Northeast US

I have a 2016 Dodge Challenger and a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee for utilities. I'm good, so no, I don't need some nanny-minded person telling me what I should be driving. Thanks.

Here's a fun piece of info - there is a car arms race. SUVs are safer vs cars in traffic accidents, so people buy SUVs. Yet, SUV vs SUV accidents are more harmful overall than car vs car accidents. So as we all try to defend ourselves, ultimately, it's getting less safe.

Click bait... No real argument.. and a false misguided opinion at that. Try harder.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Like I was trying to say, going vegan will only have an impact if it's a high enough concentrated number of people doing it. If the entirety of MMO-Champion went vegan today, production wouldn't change one bit.

So I should be forced to get a pickup truck to haul my trailer instead of our SUV? Please explain how that is any better?
    a

Quote Originally Posted by lakylog View Post
    Like I was trying to say, going vegan will only have an impact if it's a high enough concentrated number of people doing it. If the entirety of MMO-Champion went vegan today, production wouldn't change one bit.
    I feel like you aren't reading what I wrote.

I said the most 1 person can do is go vegan. 1 person going vegan does more for the environment than that same 1 person driving an electric car and recycling.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown