Poll: Immortality but you have to go back 1 million years?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    One possible end of the universe is the Big Rip, where the force pulling the universe apart slowly gets stronger and stronger until it overcomes gravity itself and all other forces and eventually pulls atoms apart. If the Big Rip actually happens, then we have a problem because you are immortal and are made of atoms but atoms can no longer exist. Light, sound, and space and time no longer exist. I'm not even sure where you are at that point, but you cannot die so wherever that is, you are there.

With the rest of the universe all pulling apart, and you existing as a constant, I imagine your existence punches a hole in the fabric in the universe somehow. Or the universe tears itself away from you. Then what, I don't know. My best guess you are the only thing left of the universe. Therefore, you ARE the universe.
    You assume an awfull lot there. It's not like you could feel anything while you aren't even a single living cell. If you were stuck on earth the whole immortality deal would probably already cease to be an issue once the sun goes super nova, since being turned to plasma would most definitely prevent you from being concious, let alone feel a thing. If we talk about immortality by regenerating, then where does the energy/matter for that come from?

At that point it really boils down to how you are going to explain the mysticism behind your immortality in an obvious scientfic universe. How would this true immortality work? What would be the limits? Are there limits? Is it of supernatural origin? Can you obtain other supernatural powers or access to a supernatural world? That train of thought in near endless.

Just as bit of a thought provoker: Even if you are truly immortal in the widest sense for the past 1 million years, what would happen if you are caught by a primitive tribe? What if they turned you into a never ending supply of food? There is alot of shit that could happen to you over the span of a million years (a single one is enough usually..) that could turn all that time into a constant living nightmare, even if you are guaranteed to survive until you reach "today" again. It also poses the question of how your (continued) existence would break this world.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Unless you choose the western hemisphere. Homo Erectus never reaches the Americas. If you stay in the Americas, then your first human contact is homo sapiens that probably cross the siberian land bridge in the last 20,000 years or so.
    ummm, why stay in the americas then ?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You wouldn't be alone. You could have pets. Make a pet sabertooth tiger or something. Or bring back some dogs or cats with you.

I mean, the most reliable form of transportation would be horses. I'd be seriously tempted to bring back a large farm filled with horses so I can breed them for transportation and performing work, plus companionship.

Horses originated in North America. Camels originated in South America. Both crossed the land bridge over the Bering Sea from Alaska into Russia and then spread across Asia. Horses actually went extinct in North America around 10,000 years ago, or about the time the first humans arrived. Camels survived in South America as we know them as llamas. Horses in North America from 1 million years ago were surprisingly close to modern horses.
    I see your point if you have no desire to have human companionship. But na, I would not enjoy it. Have no desire to be talking to animals only for a million years.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I see your point if you have no desire to have human companionship. But na, I would not enjoy it. Have no desire to be talking to animals only for a million years.
    visit your friendly Homo erectus next cave if you do nothing but sit around until the modern humans come around, it's your fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    visit your friendly Homo erectus next cave if you do nothing but sit around until the modern humans come around, it's your fault.
    So besides being immortal, you also have the canny abnormal ability to track humanoids? Besides those would not be normal humans. Would be more like trying to communicate with a chimp.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    So besides being immortal, you also have the canny abnormal ability to track humanoids? Besides those would not be normal humans. Would be more like trying to communicate with a chimp.
    see above, for humanoid companions you would have to leave the americas or nothing happens until the very first settler movement wanders across bering sea.
    and for tracking skills: you would have all the time in the world to look for humans, it's not rocket science to find them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    see above, for humanoid companions you would have to leave the americas or nothing happens until the very first settler movement wanders across bering sea.
    and for tracking skills: you would have all the time in the world to look for humans, it's not rocket science to find them.
    Those would not be civilized humans. They would be chimps, who can walk upright more than others can. They would not be normal human companions. And so you get to choose which part of the world you start at?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Those would not be civilized humans. They would be chimps, who can walk upright more than others can. They would not be normal human companions. And so you get to choose which part of the world you start at?
    then start the civilisation of homo erectus and (later afaik) neandertals earlier ?
    for start point: opening post doesnt say something about that; the definition of immortality was difficult enough. the longest journey would be from south africa to the east across the bering sea and then down to "Tierra de Fuego", but why bother so early in human history ?
    leave america alone and stroll around in africa or asia for human company or do the trip for animals

Hell yeah, I'll do it. On one condition -- I'm not just immortal as in not aging. I'm immune to all possible damage and deceases/infections/poisons. Otherwise I'd die from some of that shit in a million years anyway and I'd have to spend them in the worst possible times humanity had ever seen. I'd be a father of some nice inventions too.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    In my experience, "smart" people consider being locked in solitary a "bad thing", not a good thing. Any extension to the incarceration only makes it worse, not better.
    More than likely. Too bad that has nothing to do with this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    In my experience, "smart" people consider being locked in solitary a "bad thing", not a good thing. Any extension to the incarceration only makes it worse, not better.
    Well I know some people that thinking swimming in water of any kind of horrible, and if you push them in they will have a traumatic experience, however a lot of people Love swimming, it's the same thing with solitary.

First the person doesn't "Wan't" to be there and second They like some people who don't enjoy swimming don't.

Like ASMR, drives some mad, manh however love it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Only way I'd want to deal with that would be while being decked out in cheats.
    Having modern scientific/technological knowledge and knowing at least some of what happens during those 1 million years is a pretty good set of cheats.

Unless you are a geologist, paleontologist or paleobotanist, the first 900k years would be hard to know what places to avoid, but your tech knowledge should help you out a lot (as long as you aren't next to a volcanic eruption or other large natural disaster).

Personally, if I was to do it, I would found small isolated settlements or secret societies and give them advanced knowledge so that by the time the 1 million years were over, we would be thousands or more years ahead scientifically than the rest of the world. Depending on what they find, you could probably do whatever you want.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Having modern scientific/technological knowledge and knowing at least some of what happens during those 1 million years is a pretty good set of cheats.

Unless you are a geologist, paleontologist or paleobotanist, the first 900k years would be hard to know what places to avoid, but your tech knowledge should help you out a lot (as long as you aren't next to a volcanic eruption or other large natural disaster).

Personally, if I was to do it, I would found small isolated settlements or secret societies and give them advanced knowledge so that by the time the 1 million years were over, we would be thousands or more years ahead scientifically than the rest of the world. Depending on what they find, you could probably do whatever you want.
    to put the cow above the bucket for real:
    where is a good place (or area, plenty of time to wander around) to spend the first few 10-20 centuries ?

Claiming to have scientific knowledge and actually having it....two different things. And just about everyone making such a claim I'm sure fall into the former.

Anyone that really knows metallurgy would have better claim for making advancements on a primitive society as a blacksmith. (Steel weapons, tools...omg)

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post

It's not, at all, really. I'm a quite technically minded person, and I wouldn't even know where to start to get anywhere decent (okay obviously basic wood working, farming etc, would be a priority). The amount of basic shit you'd have to deal with is off the charts. Even the creation of basic tools doesn't get you anywhere close. Then there is all the shit we usually only know partially today. I probably could get a basic kiln and forge going, but it would still take me months/years of R&D to get there and produce anything of value (highly iterative process as well if you don't already have some basic tools) let alone that you have no one that actually gets you the materials. There is no one that can mine stuff for you, no one that goes and fells a few trees for you, no one that cuts stone for you, you have to do all that shit yourself with sharp stones (if you are lucky to find some) all while trying to survive (depending on the degree of cheats) against the elements and every kind of predator in that region. Even if you had some tools, they wouldn't last you long enough to make much a difference other than making your first shelter and a handfull of simple projects easier before they start becoming unusable.

As for your idea, the issue is that 1million years ago you'd have to content with proto humans that are more likely to attempt having a bite of you than sitting down and learning something. Then you'd also need to know where you could actually build a society that remains untouched for a decently long period without being raided by other tribes in the area or falling vicitim to one of the expansionist pushes of the larger powers throughout history that would beat you with sheer numbers if need be. Not to mention you'd need to occupy places that actually have access to all the various resources you'd require (copper, iron, stone, clay, various wood types, plants for food, mild climate nowhere near danger zones like volcanos, good water supply, animals for food and work). Even if you have all the knowledge to make things (as an engineer I'm not confident in saying that I could actually built the whole tech chain to even get to a medival level, let alone anywhere near the age of the first industrial reveolution), getting the resources, processing these and so much more is required. You also run into the various issues of leading a society and needing to provide for them.

I might a bit paranoid here but there is also the danger that once you start dealing with other humans that someone doesn't like you and decides to end you. Our species is incredibly short sighted and even if you are the literal motor of invention and prosperity for your people, there is bound to be some ass that thinks he knows better. Even with perfect immortality, they could still just burry you in a deep hole/cave or more grusome stuff to get you out of the way.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-06-03 at 09:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I wouldn't want to leave my family and live without them, so it’s a no from me.
    You can make a new family ;D

OT: hell to the naw fam, life works for me currently

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Just got reminded of something relative to this thread that I read back in 2017:

Immortality means an infinity sized dong.
    bahahahah, So damn good fam

It's not, at all, really. I'm a quie technically minded person, and I wouldn't even know where to start to get anywhere decent.
    If nothing else, my hat is off to you. You seem to be one of the very few thinking things through.
    Setting the steps to be a blacksmith is the main goal for the tech savvy...and just getting to that point will likely take a couple of generations.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by wutwhat View Post
    Do people forget what immortality means?

It means you will never die... ever!

You will outlive the universe which means you will be left to float in nothing forever and ever amen.

You will not be able to end it ever.. ever. ever

No end literally no end think about that for a second.
    There's different kinds of immortality. This kind sounds like the 'never aging' kind where you can basically keep going and going and going. Some life forms on Earth actually have that. Others can achieve a version of it by de-aging themselves and then aging normally again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If nothing else, my hat is off to you. You seem to be one of the very few thinking things through.
    Setting the steps to be a blacksmith is the main goal for the tech savvy...and just getting to that point will likely take a couple of generations.
    I'd be ecstatic to get basic farming going along with the ability to build huts that allow people to settle down without having to migrate all the time because of seasons and supply issues. I'd be happy if I could get basic pottery and domestication of wild animals going throughout the first decade or two.

Slogging through the "tech tree" for smithing would take generations, I think so as well. Not to mention I'd have to go on a wikipedia spree before making such a deal to just find an area that actually supports the basics, so you can get started with getting coal, copper and bronze near surface level. I wonder how far down we could compress such an undertaking if we could pool all the knowledge of the various disciplines and anthroplogic knowledge we have today to map out an ideal progression path and if or how often we'd need to move the entire civilization to realize it.

I'd be ecstatic to get basic farming going along with the ability to build huts that allow people to settle down without having to migrate all the time because of seasons and supply issues. I'd be happy if I could get basic pottery and domestication of wild animals going throughout the first decade or two.

Slogging through the "tech tree" for smithing would take generations, I think so as well. Not to mention I'd have to go on a wikipedia spree before making such a deal to just find an area that actually supports the basics, so you can get started with getting coal, copper and bronze near surface level. I wonder how far down we could compress such an undertaking if we could pool all the knowledge of the various disciplines and anthroplogic knowledge we have today to map out an ideal progression path and if or how often we'd need to move the entire civilization to realize it.
    Well...just remember why most blacksmith gods were always portrayed as lame/crippled. (use of mercury)

I would think that safety is even more important if you're immortal.