Not opposed to having difficulty options in Pokemon, more so skeptical they would actually do anything. Most turn based JRPGs end up being easy once you understand their mechanics no matter what difficulty you pick and I don't think Pokemon is any different. SMT is probably the hardest in the genre, and even then something like Nocturne is difficult mostly due to RNG bs being turned up to 100 on hard.

It's really not a genre that lends its self to difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Predictions for the pokemon direct?
    Armor forms, box legendary.

No word about Megas or Z-Moves. Those could be dropped entirely this time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Astral Chain. It's gonna be a sleeper hit. It's gonna be big though.

A cross between Xenoblade, Cyberpunk, and Technopunk (?) RPG. Due at the end of August. Devs are very silent on reveals.
    It is a Platinum Games game. If it has any RPG elements, those be very supplemental stuff.

Platinum does character action games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    So, the best approach would be to simply wait till the release of the new pokemon game and find a bundle with the switch to avoid the 50$ price tag for the game. Do I get that right?
    Sword and Shield are bound to have a Switch bundle option.

Dunno if it is gonna be any cheaper than Switch+game separatively, but at least you'll get nice custom Joycons and/or dock.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Serious question, how is Nintendo still successful? Any other company would have gone under by now if they made the decisions Nintendo has. It feels like they're successful in spite of the decisions they make, rather than because of them.
    1. Rabid fan base and superstars in the industry work for/at/with the company
    2. High quality games
    3. Only mobile gaming besides terrible, terrible cell phone games, ugh
    4. Innovation in hardware and software over many generations
    5. Crazy metacritic review scores for first party games
    6. Most well known IPs in gaming
    7. Also sells toys to fanbase
    8. Artificial scarcity
    9. Wii-U wasn't well known, many thought it was an expansion pack for Wii, and fans were hungry for new console
    10. Handheld mode promotes rebuys of ported or remastered software
    11. Crazy popular in Japan(and everywhere actually but especially Japan/USA), which is a trendsetter in gaming
    12. Super high quality early games this gen. Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash all very highly rated and popular with fans.
    13. They also get lots of additional sales, due to the broader age appeal of their top franchises. These games are often E for everyone.

So here's the thing, you may own a Switch. If so you have already played the early games. People who don't own a Switch will need to play Mario and Zelda first to get caught up. So those games are new to them. No reasonable amount of time passing is going to ever devalue those games. Some people dislike this. They want to move past Nintendo's first big successes with the Switch and focus on "what have you done for me lately."

People who don't yet own the console will be buying for years on the strength of some of those early launch titles. The quality of those games is banked. Nintendo owns that now. Early perception is cemented as a console with high rated goat exclusives(even though of course BotW/Mario Kart isn't exclusive, we are talking perception). Just look at the goty praise for botw(I loved it as a goat, but I understand that any big game will have fans and detractors).

For me personally, I really love the machine. I think it is my favorite jrpg system ever because of handheld mode. Right now I'm playing FFXII:Zodiac Age. I also own a PS4 Pro and a pc with a 2080. I haven't played the computer since I bought the card except for the odd WoW session. I play the Pro everyday, and when I can't play the Pro I play the Switch.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is another excellent port that released on the console recently. Not just an excellent port, but an amazing game. I'd love to advertise my pawn here, but he is on PS4.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-06-05 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not opposed to having difficulty options in Pokemon, more so skeptical they would actually do anything. Most turn based JRPGs end up being easy once you understand their mechanics no matter what difficulty you pick and I don't think Pokemon is any different. SMT is probably the hardest in the genre, and even then something like Nocturne is difficult mostly due to RNG bs being turned up to 100 on hard.

It's really not a genre that lends its self to difficulty.
    This is a pretty random opinion tech.

Its quite easy to put challenge into turn based combat, in fact its probably easier than most games because you can fine tune the dials so much easier without worrying about response time and player ability/technical skill. Most turn base games are a challenge that have the option of gaining levels to out gear/dps the content if you struggle to get past it. Similar to gaining item level in a raid in WoW. The content gets easier as you get stronger. Pokemon never had a good balance of this though, the game begins easy and gets easier.

Pokemon has always been a joke though I agree. One ember is enough to destroy a bug pokemon or one thunder is enough to nuke a water pokemon. The entire strength vs weakness of the game needs a rework so its not so dramatic.

They also need to fill the world with actual pokemon. Random spawns is the way of the dinosaur now.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-06-05 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This is a pretty random opinion tech.

Its quite easy to put challenge into turn based combat, in fact its probably easier than most games because you can fine tune the dials so much easier without worrying about response time and player ability/technical skill. Most turn base games are a challenge that have the option of gaining levels to out gear/dps the content if you struggle to get past it. Similar to gaining item level in a raid in WoW. The content gets easier as you get stronger. Pokemon never had a good balance of this though, the game begins easy and gets easier.

Pokemon has always been a joke though I agree. One ember is enough to destroy a bug pokemon or one thunder is enough to nuke a water pokemon. The entire strength vs weakness of the game needs a rework so its not so dramatic.

They also need to fill the world with actual pokemon. Random spawns is the way of the dinosaur now.
    You name a turn based JRPG and I have played it.

Almost none of them are difficult, and the ones that are rely on you having bad RNG to do so(SMT looking at you).

So yea, it's not really an opinion. I mean sure you can go full SMT and have your characters regularly whiff attacks on higher difficulties, have insta kill abilities and the full 9 yards. I call that wasting my time though. When you get "SMT'd" half of the time you couldn't do anything about it and the other half of the time you would of had to of had the proper read, which is still a small chance.

Pretty much everything outside of SMT is an absolute joke difficulty wise. Trails on nightmare difficulty is a joke, Persona 5 on hard is a joke, Persona 4 Golden on Very Hard is a joke, DQXI with stronger monsters... absolute joke. If you're playing turn based JRPGs for a challenge you're playing the wrong genre or are just bad at games no offense.

Outside of SMT the last JRPG I played that posed any challenge was Persona 3, and that's because it basically was an SMT game lmao.

This is not to be confused with TBS games, as I have been handed my ass a few times in FE and Disgaea over the years but there is so much more going on in those games then what happens in turn based JRPGs like the above.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-06-05 at 07:02 AM.

I was thinking about picking up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 along with the DLC for additional difficulty settings. How does that fare using the Bringer of Chaos mode, is there a lot of challenge playing it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    I was thinking about picking up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 along with the DLC for additional difficulty settings. How does that fare using the Bringer of Chaos mode, is there a lot of challenge playing it that way?
    I'm not sure what Bringer of Chaos adds, but XBC2's endgame was balanced excellently for my tastes(though the main story did get very easy on the first playthru).

Have you played XBC2+DLC before on the regular difficulty settings?

Either way, imho, it is an excellent game. I took some flack for calling it one of my goats, but I still think that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Bringer of Chaos is tuned around NG+. That said it is doable on a first run but be prepared to grind and farm best gear constantly as you hit fights that will be walls. If you just want a mild challenge hard is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

It is a Platinum Games game. If it has any RPG elements, those be very supplemental stuff.

Platinum does character action game..
    Certainly an interesting game, defeinitely more than most. Most = poop, btw.

Last edited by Vineri; 2019-06-06 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm not sure what Bringer of Chaos adds, but XBC2's endgame was balanced excellently for my tastes(though the main story did get very easy on the first playthru).

Have you played XBC2+DLC before on the regular difficulty settings?

Either way, imho, it is an excellent game. I took some flack for calling it one of my goats, but I still think that.
    I haven't played through it yet, I've just got to the 3rd chapter. It's a lot of fun but I'm not finding any challenge in it so far and I don't know if that's because of where I am in the story or what. I haven't grinded and I've avoided using any levelling via the inn and yet it never feels like there is much threat bar running into level 75 mobs
    What got me thinking about it was from reading about some of the fights I've been through and they were talking about being prepared to die on a number of occasions but that has never been the case. It feels like a cakewalk and I would enjoy some more challenge from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Bringer of Chaos is tuned around NG+. That said it is doable on a first run but be prepared to grind and farm best gear constantly as you hit fights that will be walls. If you just want a mild challenge hard is good enough.
    Great, thanks. I quite like the idea of having to level up and obtain additional gear before being able to move on.
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-06-06 at 07:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently, Metroid 5 (2d) is going to be announced tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Apparently, Metroid 5 (2d) is going to be announced tomorrow.
    Source? I've been waiting on a Fusion sequel for 15+ years now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Source? I've been waiting on a Fusion sequel for 15+ years now.
    A leaker in 4chan on sunday morning has gotten everything right so far. He also said new warioware and contra.

- - - Updated - - -

Also anyway, i just want monoliths new gameeeee

I'm more interested in these rumours of an SMT collection, finally a switch collection i'd buy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Here goes my irrational hope for Golden Sun 4
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Witcher 3 on Switch looks sooooo bad.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo won already

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Witcher 3 on Switch looks sooooo bad.
    Colour me unsurprised. Switch is mobile hardware at best, the Witcher 3 isn't an easy game to run

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Colour me unsurprised. Switch is mobile hardware at best, the Witcher 3 isn't an easy game to run
    If I'm being honest Witcher 3 looks bad even on base PS4 and XBO. The pop in is atrocious and I'll never forget the perma locked 20 fps in the swamp. How do you even downgrade it more.