Page 1 of 22
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Dutch rape victim, 17, uses legal euthanasia to end life

A 17-year-old girl who wrote a book about her struggle with mental illness after being molested and raped has been euthanized in the Netherlands, where she lived and assisted-suicide is legal.

Reports say Noa Pothoven chose to end her life Sunday with the assistance of an end of life clinic, Inside Edition reported.

Under Netherlands law, a doctor has to sign off on the decision after concluding that the patient’s suffering is unbearable and likely to continue, the news outlet reported.

“I deliberated for quite a while whether or not I should share this, but decided to do it anyway,” she wrote on Instagram on the day before her death, according to Inside Edition. “Maybe this comes as a surprise to some, given my posts about hospitalization, but my plan has been there for a long time and is not impulsive.”

Noa said she had been fighting for years and was now “drained,” and that she felt she had never been alive but was instead just “surviving.”

“I have quit eating and drinking for a while now, and after many discussions and evaluations, it was decided to let me go because my suffering is unbearable,” Pothoven wrote, according to Inside Edition. “Love is letting go, in this case.”

The teen from Amhem suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and anorexia after being molested when she was 11 and 12 and raped by two men when she was 14, The Sun reported.

She reported the attacks to police last year.

Noa wrote about her struggles in “Winning and Learning.”

Her mother, according to Dutch law, had a say in her daughter’s decision, according to The Sun.
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/dutch-...tim-euthanasia

End life that just started?

Over a few years they should castrate, torture then slowly kill her rapist.

giver her family the option of dealing said torture as well.

Sounds like attention seeking and the young of the age led to stupid decisions.....

Quote Originally Posted by derien View Post
    Sounds like attention seeking and the young of the age led to stupid decisions.....
    Attention seekers threaten suicide...they don't go through with legal euthanasia...
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Did we read the same thing? The girl was raped and severly traumatized to the point where she sought legal assisted suicide instead of whining about it online and you have the stones to claim it was attention seeking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

This. Idiotic teens are stubborn enough to stand their grounds until the bitter end. Thank god that shit isn't legal in America.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I checked out the comments for that story, didn't take long for politics to come up followed by people pretending they had the answers that would have kept her alive.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    This. Idiotic teens are stubborn enough to stand their grounds until the bitter end. Thank god that shit isn't legal in America.
    right

thank god in america a traumatised child can get a weapon and just go on a rampage

If she were 75, I'd be okay with her decision. That's old enough to know that life has it's ups and downs and old enough where you've lived pretty much all life has to offer.

17, she was a baby.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I read up on this. basicallyu, because of her trauma she wanted to end it all, but for a while they (rightfully) wouldnt let her. So she kept attempting and then getting involuntary comitted over and over. She then decided to stop eating. The option was to force feed her, which also means involuntyary comitting her again for the umpteenth time, or just let her go like this. It was ultimately decided to be humane to just let her go instead of trying to keep forcing a change that they didnt have any proof was going to happen.

Im ambivalent on letting people under 18 decide shit like this, but given all the other info surrounding her, I think this was the correct decision and was clearly NOT attention seeking or mere teenage angst. To keep trying over and over and over through years and years and years would amount to a form of torture. Seriously people...

well if she wanted it, that was her choice in the end nothing else matters.

Idiotic teens are stubborn enough to stand their grounds until the bitter end.
    Haha so true. So are some adults.

Yup, instead of killing themselves, they take out their frustration on schools with hot lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    If she were 75, I'd be okay with her decision. That's old enough to know that life has it's ups and downs and old enough where you've lived pretty much all life has to offer.

17, she was a baby.
    read the full story.... its easy to judge something you have no clue about

Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    read the full story.... its easy to judge something you have no clue about
    Didn't know he was literate; I always assumed, through sheer luck, that he smacks his keyboard and manages coherent sentences. That's what all of his posts read like anyway.

If I'm infracted, it was deserved.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-06-05 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Did we read the same thing? The girl was raped and severly traumatized to the point where she sought legal assisted suicide instead of whining about it online and you have the stones to claim it was attention seeking?
    I sympathise and empathise with the girl.
    But I really disagree with the allowing of assisted suicide in this case. Assisted suicide is supposed to be the very very last resort and originally intended for terminally Ill patients facing a painful death, it's use on the mentally ill is contravetial a best as it is unclear if he dissision has been made with sound mind which is required, this case worrys me because of the implications to the idea of euthanasia and how it will be perseved in nations contemplating allowing it, as some one who watched my father waste away from cancer only to take his own life to escape the pain I'm worried to what effect grey area cases like this will have on the cause for humane eithanisa in country's like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Yup, instead of killing themselves, they take out their frustration on schools with hot lead.
    Yep that's the only other recourse. No chance of growing into an adult and realizing her angsty overreactions were incredibly stupid and being able to overcome a sad past to live a happy adult life while ironically getting re-raped by taxes, but not being so dramatic about it.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I support assisted suicide. I think she is weak for wanting to die after a rape 3 years ago, but whatever... you wanna go, it should be your choice. Better than letting them be supported by the tax payer.