Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Reshoots are usually for the better.
    Usually nothing. Reshoots are like anything else and are as capable of being bad or good.

I would be concerned if James Cameron were forced to reshoot an ending, or Martin Scorsese, or Quintin Tarantino, or any number of established directors that know how to make movies. But this is Simon Kinberg, a guy who has no experience directing films but has experience writing and producing a bunch of SHIT in spades. Reshoots are probably a blessing here but I doubt they will save the film.

7+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Kontinuum; 2019-06-05 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Usually nothing. Reshoots are like anything else and are as capable of being bad or good.

I would be concerned if James Cameron were forced to reshoot an ending, or Martin Scorsese, or Quintin Tarantino, or any number of established directors that know how to make movies. But this is Simon Kinberg, a guy who has no experience directing films but has experience writing and producing a bunch of SHIT in spades. Reshoots are probably a blessing here but I doubt they will save the film.
    When there are multiple rounds of reshoots or it becomes obvious that reshoots become excessively long it's almost always a sign that the movie was a complete pile of crap or that the studio have had a significant change of heart about the project.

Dark Phoenix appears to have been meddled with so much it would be a minor miracle if it was even mediocre.

5+ Year Old Account
    RT can go eat a bag of dicks, how they can rate something worse than apocalypse, just shows what spineless weasels they are. There is no way DP is worse.

I forgot, which movie company bought RT again? Nvm, last movie fox got to do, so its safe to shit on it.

The acting was good, but I'm afraid movie is judged instead of being a link in the x-men franchise, instead is judged by the limitless budgets of marvel, avengers, their time n resources in development of characters the aliens needed a lot more work. But how much is given when FOX was at end of road? There is nothing after this, no build-up to future movies, no financial incentive to do so...

I thought I would miss Wolvie, but his one-liners wouldn't fit tone of movie. Scott was not the cringe he was before, doesn't mean I like the character, but was not jarring.

Sophie Turner, much better, this time, over-all better actress now. i believe she had like two lines previous movie?

James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, so good. Wanted more of Magneto earlier on. Prof X much more human this time around.
    Magneto's crew, not so memorable, oh well

As for 'woke', it was just that one line, thankfully n it felt forced, out of character.
    and she dies, so no more of that

So, how to put this movie into right context post-infinity budget wars?..It was like watching the season ending of a TV show. A TV series I really liked n previous 'film' was like an unfortunate episode, as if it had been hijacked by those clowns D&D from game of thrones. "X-Men Season" as a whole? Definetely last episode much better than previous ones, this director did good job with what was available to him. I wish he had been directing the previous movies..

More heavy on story-telling, acting rather than relying on cgi, thankfully. The cgi that we got, was pretty good, especially in the end when Jean transforms into the phoenix n those energy particles were really good, didn't expect that

The main villain, again as I keep whining from my TV angle, felt like a character I would have learned more about in a TV show. I didn't expect her to be an alien, but rather a manifestation of the phoenix trying to win Jean over

Did re-shoots make movie better? How the F would I know? xD, since I don't know how it would originally end. Liked what I got. Maybe we'll get to see the deleted scene one day.

For those who expect this series to end like the steaming pile of poop like previous movie, don't worry, if you like X-Men, you should go watch this movie.
    But for some this movie might feel 'slow' expecting superhero movies to only be about explosions...
    Is the movie dark? It has a lot of darkness, but not the jarring DC kind, thankfully. I must say, it makes me sad that this has all ended, because Marvel, I don't trust them with this franchise, this might sound strange, but they got too much one-liners, explosions and SHOVETHATPOPCORNINURMOUTHNAOWNCUMINURPANTS!!! attitude so when they do their version of x-men, it will be jarring after seing the performances of Fassbender, the story-driven 'episode' we got...
    That said, the story is predictable for the most part, but that's like saying a ww2 movie is crap since u know Nazis loose the war.

I simply don't see how you can replace Fassbender, James McAvoy, and to me Sophie Turner is Jean Grey, not Famke Janssen, who is no natural redhead, they gave Famke this fake looking hair color n said she's Jean..I like Famke Janssen but I never got a Jean vibe from her. Jean Grey is this young girl who struggles with her past, powers n making her way in the world, and Famke is old enough to moved on..
    And how the F do you replace Hugh Jackman?

Well, since Disney is keeping Deadpool franchise intact, who knows what tomorrow will bring?..but I'm afraid once they have the precious, they will experiment..

One thing I'm looking forward to, is what Marvel could do with Fantastic Four, simply because the comics were great in the 80's, 90's, but the movies were total garbage..so there is nothing lost.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-06-06 at 09:39 AM.

Well, I actually enjoyed it. Some CGI seemed weird (especially Jean herself, sometimes you have the feeling she's 100% CGI and Sophie Turner was not even involved in some scenes), but the phenomenal Soundtrack by sir Hans Zimmer completely steals the show.

I know there were tons of reshoots but I don't really understand why they can't keep up with their own timeline. They successfully fucked up the timeline set up by both Apocalypse and the ending of Days of Future Past, that's quite a performance.

Actions scenes were great, a few characters disappointing (Vuk, Raven, Quicksilver and his 5-seconds screen time, the two mutants from Magneto's "team") but a lot very interesting (the same as usual).

No post-credits scene or Stan Lee homage (just one line in the credits), bleh

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    I know there were tons of reshoots but I don't really understand why they can't keep up with their own timeline. They successfully fucked up the timeline set up by both Apocalypse and the ending of Days of Future Past, that's quite a performance.
    and that's a good thing!...I prefer this timeline, I wish I had never seen apocalypse..better to have one director instead of several

It's getting destroyed by critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    and that's a good thing!...I prefer this timeline, I wish I had never seen apocalypse..better to have one director instead of several
    Yeah sure to each their own, but in this case, the "reboot" saga is supposed to be one full story of 4 movies. They don't care about the 2000s trilogy, ok, but they can't decently ignore Apocalypse the way they did, that's as weird as the new Star Wars trilogy

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It's getting destroyed by critics.
    You should care about audience score or your own opinion, not 'critics' whom I have serious doubts of being objective..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Yeah sure to each their own, but in this case, the "reboot" saga is supposed to be one full story of 4 movies. They don't care about the 2000s trilogy, ok, but they can't decently ignore Apocalypse the way they did, that's as weird as the new Star Wars trilogy
    Honestly, I would prefer last star wars movie be completely ignored, what happened in it, it's a pile of poop...if I had free reign and I was jj.abrams, I'd continue the story from force awakens, just to show rian johnson the finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Watched a trailer recently.

Can someone explain what kinda setting this is? Given how young everybody looks, including Xavier and Magneto, I am rather puzzled... is it sort of a live continuation of the X-Men : evolution cartoon?

Not a huge reader/watcher, having seen the X-men (1990) and X-men : evolution, followed by the X-men movies up to First Class, but nothing newer except the Deadpool and Logan ones. The only few comics I did read were a part of the Apocalypse serie from the 80s and a more recent one with Logan's childhood and youth.
    This is the First Class timeline, using the same Xavier and Magneto you saw there. Days of Future Past changed a few things, basically meaning the first 3 movies didn't happen, so they can reuse Dark Phoenix from X-Men 3. Apocalypse introduced most of the other mutants you didn't see in First Class but do see here. Wikipedia tells me Dark Phoenix is set in '92, so about 10 years after the events of Apocalypse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

RT can go eat a bag of dicks, how they can rate something worse than apocalypse, just shows what spineless weasels they are. There is no way DP is worse.
    Literally, your first sentence disqualifies your entire opinion. If you can’t be bothered to understand that a shitty movie getting 20%, doesn’t mean anyone is saying it’s worse that another shitty movie that got a 47%, you don’t deserve to be listened to on really any topic, but certainly not RT critics scores. Fact is most of those reviews are saying Apocalypse is worse than this, some say this is the worst, but that’s the minority. If Apocalypse got an 87%, you’d have a point, but they thought that sucked too, which it did.

You also follow this gem up with the typical audience score argument, a score I should remind you is completely meaningless in every way possible. Make up your own opinion, for sure, but if you watch this and think it’s good, I’m not going to trust your opinion anymore, hence why the audience score means nothing, how do I know it’s not all people like you?

5+ Year Old Account
    It's average should be higher, and stop wasting my time with what you want to trust, if you haven't seen movie you can't judge anyones opinion. Btw since you don't care what anyone has to say, why are you even in this thread? And no, audience score isn't meaningless, specially when it's compared to critics score, when there is a huge difference between the two one has to wonder why.

This is probably the second worst X-Men movie. I did not believe they could, but they managed to bump up Apocalypse and Last Stand on the scale. Even Last Stand was more compelling than this.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2019-06-06 at 09:42 AM.

You should care about audience score or your own opinion, not 'critics' whom I have serious doubts of being objective..
    Everyone has a bias. Even audience members. But audience members are not asked to critique a film. Most audience members couldnt because they go to be entertained and thats it. And everyone enjoys different kinds of entertainment.

Im going to assume this movie is bad though. When you try to finish a franchise for the 2nd time with almost the exact same story arc i go to sleep. Happened in spiderman and now again in Xmen. If Disney's marvel studios has taught us one thing its that you have an entire history of comics to pull from. Keep rehashing Goblin in spiderman or Dark pheonix in Xmen and people are going to get turned off real quick.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's average should be higher, and stop wasting my time with what you want to trust, if you haven't seen movie you can't judge anyones opinion. Btw since you don't care what anyone has to say, why are you even in this thread? And no, audience score isn't meaningless, specially when it's compared to critics score, when there is a huge difference between the two one has to wonder why.
    I suppose one could compare DP with previous Godzilla movie, with monster movies people want action, one-liners n explosions...like in current movie, so many won't like DP, most who go to see monster movies n superhero movies don't give a crap about acting n story..

It's like Shazam, it didn't make a lot of money, even thought the acting, story, characters were great. instead Aquaman made the billion, people go to turn their mind off at those movies, n it's sad...that we live in a world where someone can actually claim apocalypse is a better movie even though its jarring, simply because of its amount of cgi n action..

With these reactions, and the talk that there probably won't be a Shazam 2, we'll maybe end up with only one-formula type of superhero movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    When you try to finish a franchise for the 2nd time with almost the exact same story arc i go to sleep. Happened in spiderman and now again in Xmen. If Disney's marvel studios has taught us one thing its that you have an entire history of comics to pull from. Keep rehashing Goblin in spiderman or Dark pheonix in Xmen and people are going to get turned off real quick.
    You got a good point, but I don't care about Spiderman since they removed Tobey Maguire. Only reason I could continue with X-Men is simply because of that franchise has way better actors than anything spiderman has ever had. There is nothing comparable to Fassbender, McAvoy in the spiderman franchise so no reason for me to care anymore about spidey...

The Dark Phoenix saga from the comics, is just too big a project for fox to handle, only disney/marvel could add enough weight to pull something like that off..
    Budget was not very large, wish we could have gotten scenes like this..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-06-06 at 10:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of the comics that birthed the awesome Phoenix Saga, the only media to get it close to right was the 90's X-Men animated Series, and that even culminated over 2 seasons of storylines to build up to the Dark Phoenix storyline. And for a kids show that was amazing.

You cannot get all that storyline into one movie, it's impossible, you'll need about 12 movies to pull off the build and the saga itself (at least). I don;t think it can be done. When Marvel/Disney start making X-men I hope they drop the Phoenix saga. We do not need another X-Men property to try and duplicate it and fail, because it will fail.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-06-06 at 12:53 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Reshoots are usually for the better.

They probably went back to conclude the franchise since this is definitely the last X-men movie in this particular 'universe'.
    Reshoots are fine and normal. But they did reshoot the last act... From taking place in SPACE to a train.

Last act seems out of place.

The Dark Phoenix story is too big to do well, regardless of production.
    They would have to do it the way Marvel/Disney did it with laying the foundation of the core characters (especially the deep love arc between Scott and Jean), setting up the cosmic angle with Guardians of the galaxy Starjammers, and the Shi'ar. Showing the corruption via Hellfire Club...and then letting her kick in true heroic fashion. (None of that retcon bullshit that they shoved later)

It's just won't work...

As far as this movie goes...I will see it and judge accordingly. (Not taking any damn critic's word anymore since Ghostbusters and TLJ nonsense. Fuck them)

saw it, thought RT score is fairly close to accurate

it was pretty bad, maybe a somewhat better plot adaptation than X3, but honestly X3 might be more fun to watch, this to me was very bland and boring

I put this under Apocalypse, though the gap is not big

train scene was avg overall and the "finale" after train was straight garbage (and short)

the only good acting I saw was McAvoy and (Fassbender)

Sansa Grey is a miscast

Cyclops guy didnt do anything for me either .. neither did Storm, NC or anyone else really

thank God the Mouse is getting x-men

- - - Updated - - -

and yes the mediocre Apocalypse was a better villain than these generic alien things in DP