Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Classic WoW Tier sets / offspec gear itemization

With Tier 1-3 the sets were designed for the main spec of each class: Warriors sets for tanking, Paladins for healing, etc...

I feel they did this perfectly and should bring it back. Where the sets are only designed for the main spec / role of that class.

Now I hear it.. What about the BOOMIES / RETADINS?!?!! THAT ISNT FAIR..

look at how itemization was back in classic. Main specs had the tier set to make them stronger (Their own little Nitch) then offspec had the random gear that dropped off Dungeon/raid bosses. I feel this made the items dropping off bosses be more unique instead of the tier sets transferring its bonuses depending on what spec you are.

This Focus could even go farther into the fact that each tier set is designed to strengthen that classes healing / tanking / dps but make it more focused on what the main raid requires... a little more customization for each raid. Fire res increase in the set bonus etc.. increase dmg to UD... increase stun resist (bosses that stun).. just some random things that make the set unique and powerful to that raid that it drops from and then also over all.

Still raiding as Enhancement #changemymind.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

They kind of did this with the Uldir specific Azerite powers. Also if you want this to be implemented to retail you should be posting it in that forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Z a v i u s View Post
    Main specs had the tier set to make them stronger (Their own little Nitch) then offspec had the random gear that dropped off Dungeon/raid bosses.
    Yeah and how often would offspecs get these nonset items? If they were even in the raid at all?

I might level a char or two in Classic, more so if with friends, but I won't partake in raiding unless "offspecs" of healer classes have a higher acceptance. No desire to play a spec I don't like.

To be fair, only a few classes actually wore their full tier sets. Especially in early raids.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    To be fair, only a few classes actually wore their full tier sets. Especially in early raids.
    That, plus many encounters required resist gear (which only had more than Stamina and Resist if you got lucky with specific drops)
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

I remember our paladins wearing a lot of cloth and leather for the stats it had.. same with warriors wearing mail and truestrike shoulders untill drake talon shoulders and helm of endless rage from bwl

Itemization was one of the biggest downfalls of Vanilla, there’s a reason it was changed for TBC and never looked back on.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

5+ Year Old Account
    Probably the wrong place to post this thread.
    The worst thing is gear dropping that gets sharded. The best improvement from vanilla was itemisation and then changing stats depending on your spec you're rolling as.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    That, plus many encounters required resist gear (which only had more than Stamina and Resist if you got lucky with specific drops)
    Not really.

The guild I was in wasn't a super stellar guild, but we did clear everything sans the last 3 bosses in Naxxaramas. During progression the only bosses we wore resistance gear on was Ragnaros, Vael, Huhuran (only your soakers), and Sapphiron (we didn't get to him, but it was obvious frost resistance was required). The thing is depending on your kill speed, you're better off just running with baseline resistance auras (paladin auras, totems, AoTW), and making use of elemental absorb potions for that particular encounter. Greater protection potions absorb 2600 damage on average, putting one on prior to an encounter and having another ready to go as soon as the first drops is absolutely massive.

After the first few kills we didn't even wear fire resistance on Ragnaros or Vael, as it was just safer to kill him super fast anyway.

Aside from your warlocks on Twin Emperors, half your raid on Huhuran and Sapphiron, you don't really need resistance gear in Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The thing is depending on your kill speed, you're better off just running with baseline resistance auras (paladin auras, totems, AoTW),
    You were bringing 8 Paladins/Shamans?
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

I'm not a vanilla theorycraft expert by any means but my understanding is that only hunters had tier bonuses that were super overpowered OMG WTF 8/8 holy &#$^ I am never unequipping this.

Next best was the priest mana regen bonus (4 pc T2?).

After that things just get weird. https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...e-To-Deal-With Oh and check the "Itemization" section of the link in my sig.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2019-06-06 at 10:07 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Don’t even have sets any more lol

Quote Originally Posted by Z a v i u s View Post
    With Tier 1-3 the sets were designed for the main spec of each class: Warriors sets for tanking, Paladins for healing, etc...

I feel they did this perfectly and should bring it back. Where the sets are only designed for the main spec / role of that class.

Now I hear it.. What about the BOOMIES / RETADINS?!?!! THAT ISNT FAIR..

look at how itemization was back in classic. Main specs had the tier set to make them stronger (Their own little Nitch) then offspec had the random gear that dropped off Dungeon/raid bosses. I feel this made the items dropping off bosses be more unique instead of the tier sets transferring its bonuses depending on what spec you are.

This Focus could even go farther into the fact that each tier set is designed to strengthen that classes healing / tanking / dps but make it more focused on what the main raid requires... a little more customization for each raid. Fire res increase in the set bonus etc.. increase dmg to UD... increase stun resist (bosses that stun).. just some random things that make the set unique and powerful to that raid that it drops from and then also over all.
    just ask dps warriors, they are the best dps spec and they had no tier bonuses, they were using mostly offpiece items + some crafted gear like https://classic.wowhead.com/item=12640/lionheart-helm for example

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    I'm not a vanilla theorycraft expert by any means but my understanding is that only hunters had tier bonuses that were super overpowered OMG WTF 8/8 holy &#$^ I am never unequipping this.

Next best was the priest mana regen bonus (4 pc T2?).

After that things just get weird. https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...e-To-Deal-With Oh and check the "Itemization" section of the link in my sig.
    warriors needed their tier 3 set bonus so their taunts cant miss/be resisted
    Last edited by valky94; 2019-06-06 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Itemization was one of the biggest downfalls of Vanilla, there’s a reason it was changed for TBC and never looked back on.
    Ehh... just because they changed it doesn't mean it was bad. They've changed plenty of things for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirain1 View Post
    Ehh... just because they changed it doesn't mean it was bad. They've changed plenty of things for the worse.
    This. I actually like the itemization of vanilla. Nowadays every item is perfect. No flavor to it. Upgrades are identical in stats just 5% higher values. Makes it very bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirain1 View Post
    Yeap, the reason itemization was bad in Vanilla was not because they changed it. It was bad because it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    Yeap, the reason itemization was bad in Vanilla was not because they changed it. It was bad because it was bad.
    No it wasnt. It makes sense that items are not perfectly suited to your spec and class. Inperfections makes world more real and imerssive. It is absolute nonsense that every loot drop would have pefect stats for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    With the resit totems from shaman/paladin auras you didn't need as much of it which was nice.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    No it wasnt. It makes sense that items are not perfectly suited to your spec and class. Inperfections makes world more real and imerssive. It is absolute nonsense that every loot drop would have pefect stats for everyone.
    That's just saying it was bad but you liked that it was bad, hardly a retort.
    /s