Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    You wanna know a secret? Digital broadcast TV has a much better picture than your cable or satellite provider due to compression.
    A major difference though is that Broadcast TV (or cable TV, or Satellite TV, or Youtube) only has to attempt compression on an individual stream once. If 500 or 50000 people decide to watch that item, it still only needs to be compressed once.

In the case of almost ALL content other than Live Broadcast Events, all of that compression work gets done well in advance of broadcast, and with Live stream events, there is usually a several second delay, which allows the Compression Codecs at least a small chance to get some work done.

Stadia is going to be thousands upon thousands of 100% unique streams, all requiring as close to real time compression as possible (time delay like you get in Live TV broadcasts would be completely impossible because you can't offset the broadcast by a few seconds to allow the encoders to work if your source is also receiving continuous dynamic input like from a game controller). It's literally orders of magnitude more difficult than simply streaming a Youtube video or watching your latest episode of Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2019-03-23 at 05:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're probably the only person using it.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-gef...list-gdc-2019/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    i played in their stream test in january and have gigabit internet and whatever resolution i was playing at looked like shit.
    If it looks like shit then it clearly downscaled the resolution because of the connection. If i log in on 10Mbwifi i will get downscaled to 720p or less depending on the connection quality thats why you need hardwired 25mb + ethernet. Location and connection quality to the closest servers all play a role if you are in the middle of nowhere far away from the servers. From the maps I saw most of northern US is covered and also West/Central EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Sony, Nvidia, Verizon, and etc have all figured this out which is why they stopped trying to push Cloud Gaming. Even if this had the most ideal conditions you still have to deal with many other impossible hurdles that you can't overcome like pricing, backwards compatibility, mods, 120hz displays, VR, and the list goes on. Try using VR Chat with this, it would never work for a myriad of reasons.
    Except you are wrong since they all are actively developing and pushing cloud gaming. You don't seem to understand the market they are getting in and the size and scope of it. Theres a lot of people who are not throwing 2k every year for the latest rtx 3080Ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they claim. But I've yet to hear from anyone who actually uses the service or expresses interest who isn't paid from <insert cloud gaming service>. The overwhelming response from people is negative so far. I'm even suspecting some well known YouTubers to be paid from Google to promote the service.

Except you are wrong since they all are actively developing and pushing cloud gaming. You don't seem to understand the market they are getting in and the size and scope of it. Theres a lot of people who are not throwing 2k every year for the latest rtx 3080Ti.
    Firstly, nobody buys RTX graphic cards. The vast majority of people buy $250 and less graphic cards according to Steam. Secondly, Google's service will use AMD cards which means no RTX regardless. Thirdly, you forgot consoles which generally cost $400 or less.

You may think it's cheaper to use cloud gaming but I assure you it isn't. Geforce Now is free at the moment but it won't be like that forever. Probably has more to do with it being in Beta still. Google hasn't even announced its pricing yet, which should tell you something about Google's Stadia. If Google does offer the service for free then they'll most likely inject ads ever 15-30 minutes. Hey, remember that "save state" feature Stadia has that allows you to transfer games seamlessly to other devices by pausing it? Now image this service pausing it every so often to show you a 30 second ad. Of course they'll have a paid for version where you don't get ads, but then it isn't free either way.

Considering how many companies have a hard-on for Cloud Gaming right now and how nobody wants this, I think these companies know something we don't and that maybe we're entering a recession. You see how many people are losing their jobs and businesses are closing down this year. Sales are down everywhere since last years holiday season. So maybe there's a projection that by the time the PS5 and Xbox Two are released the sales just won't be there. A free or cheap gaming service during a recession makes sense but so does extending the life of the PS4 XB1 and PC, which is something developers don't want. But Cloud Gaming is just a slow boil to your wallet, or your sanity if you wanna watch ads while playing games.

After the way Google fucked up Youtube, I have no faith in them not fucking this up as well. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Time to play some games! Oops im lagging or my internet is out guess ill just sit in my chair.

Streaming games is and will always be terrible.
    Yeah if have spotty to terrible internet and a limited data cap then things like this would be a big no no.. And must be me being an old fogy but I still can't see how something like this is supposed to work..

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    https://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-gef...list-gdc-2019/

- - - Updated - - -

If it looks like shit then it clearly downscaled the resolution because of the connection. If i log in on 10Mbwifi i will get downscaled to 720p or less depending on the connection quality thats why you need hardwired 25mb + ethernet. Location and connection quality to the closest servers all play a role if you are in the middle of nowhere far away from the servers. From the maps I saw most of northern US is covered and also West/Central EU.

- - - Updated - - -

I have gigabit internet. Hard wired to my pc...it wasn’t a connection issue

Wonder if this will be the real future. Me? I actually like mods too much....particularly "that" ones

I also admit I would like to try it

Destiny 2? Not a good way to start their foray into gaming ;p

15+ Year Old Account
    Its fucking dead. Thanks google

Dead before it even comes out, $10 sub and you have to buy the games on top of it rofl.

Imagine paying for 4k netflix and then also having to buy the movies and shows individually. Google really thinks this will work? LMAO

The $10/month for 4k + games seems silly for a streaming service.
    Then you add in Google... Paying for games you will only be able to play on a service google might kill at any time seems foolish. A library of 30+ games

The biggest mic drop Phil Spencer could do on Sunday would be to say -
    We're not going to demo five or six games for xCloud like our competitors because you can already play thousands of Xbox games on it

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The $10/month for 4k + games seems silly for a streaming service.
    Then you add in Google... Paying for games you will only be able to play on a service google might kill at any time seems foolish. A library of 30+ games

The biggest mic drop Phil Spencer could do on Sunday would be to say -
    We're not going to demo five or six games for xCloud like our competitors because you can already play thousands of Xbox games on it
    It's pretty much a given MSs streaming option will both be part of Game Pass and also include every game available in Game Pass. They have always wanted it to be the netflix style gaming option and that will finally bring them full circle to it.

Google is just stupid and sending another project out to die, which is what they do all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Dead before it even comes out, $10 sub and you have to buy the games on top of it rofl.

Imagine paying for 4k netflix and then also having to buy the movies and shows individually. Google really thinks this will work? LMAO
    yes, imagine something stupid like..

Origin Access.

It's pretty much a given MSs streaming option will both be part of Game Pass and also include every game available in Game Pass. They have always wanted it to be the netflix style gaming option and that will finally bring them full circle to it.

Google is just stupid and sending another project out to die, which is what they do all the time.
    Yeah definitely. I know the goal of xCloud is go to have every Xbox game playable, but you run into licensing so we'll see how that shakes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post

Origin Access.
    Origin Access gives you access to the games without paying for them... That's a huge difference. Stadia, you need to buy the games and pay an additional fee. Even after that gets dropped, you'll still also need to buy the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post

Origin Access.
    You can download those and dont have to stream them xd

10+ Year Old Account

Worse than you think. Google Stadia Requires $130 Upfront, $10 Per Month at November Launch

Ooof... good luck with that.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Yeah definitely. I know the goal of xCloud is go to have every Xbox game playable, but you run into licensing so we'll see how that shakes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Origin Access gives you access to the games without paying for them... That's a huge difference. Stadia, you need to buy the games and pay an additional fee. Even after that gets dropped, you'll still also need to buy the game.
    My understanding is that they will have a free game eventually, it's only D2 at the start.

Anyway,

- - - Updated - - -

You have to pay for things like PS Live as well.

Now, we'll have to wait for MS announcement, will there be an additional cost for the streaming.

Input latency vs local hardware for single player games?

I don't want my single player games to have noticeable input latency.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-06-06 at 06:55 PM.

There is a 1080/60 free version coming.

Something people need to keep in mind, nobody coming to this forum is the base for this. This is more for the smart phone/tablet casual gaming base. This is for people who don't want to spend 500$ on a box or gaming pc to play games.