Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[Addon] ClassicLFG

I am currently in the process of developing a LFG addon for classic and I got the basic functionalities working. As I do want to create a tool that somewhat reflect the spirit of the classic community I want to reach out to you guys and get feedback or suggestions on features that should or should not be included. I know a lot of people are very sensitive when it comes to a LFG tool for classic and thats exactly why I want to try to work it out with the community. I will consolidate all the feedback and suggestions provided in this thread in the OP.
    The following is a small summary of what features are currently planned and which are not:

Planned/Already implemented:

Parse chat messages for groups:
    The addon checks all public messaging channels your character sees and tries to figure out if this message has the purpose of looking for people for a dunngeon. If such a message is found it will broadcast this message to other people using the addon. This means that the message of a player in stormwind that is looking for people to do deadmines with is going to be relayed to people outside of stormwind and vice versa. This enables people to actually go out in the world and do quests, farm, PvP and more.
    The addon then shows this in a nice formated way in its interface. You can then just click on the group and whisper the leader to join them

Addon created groups:
    This feature allows you to list your group in the tool with a button click and makes it visible to everyone with the addon. It also advertises for your group in a configurable chat channel of your choice, so even people without the addon are going to notice your group. People with the addon can just queue for your group and will show up in the list of applicants.
    This does not only include dungeons, but also has a custom category for world events like: World Bosses, Stranglethorn Arena ect.

Ignore List:
    Groups that contain people on your ignore list will not show up for you in the tool.

Not Planned:

- Making item level of applicants available to a group leader
    - Automated matchmaking

If you want to try out the addon for yourself, a first release is available on the twitch app or curseforge. I really hope to get your guys opinion on this in a civilized way
    Last edited by Sumonk; 2019-06-06 at 05:36 PM.

Gl with development. Problem with addons like that is always that same: people that want to start using will expect that using it will get them into a group without having to interact with people, and people putting groups together expect that actual type of behaviour from people using the addons. Result is that you get shit for using the addon and stop using it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

While I personally hope that Blizzard bricks addOns like the one you are currently developing, I wish you luck with it and want to remind you to never give up doing the things you enjoy in life.

Funny troll, 1 post total

Quote Originally Posted by Sumonk View Post
    I am currently in the process of developing a LFG addon for classic and I got the basic functionalities working. As I do want to create a tool that somewhat reflect the spirit of the classic community I want to reach out to you guys and get feedback or suggestions on features that should or should not be included. I know a lot of people are very sensitive when it comes to a LFG tool for classic and thats exactly why I want to try to work it out with the community. I will consolidate all the feedback and suggestions provided in this thread in the OP.
    The following is a small summary of what features are currently planned and which are not:

Planned/Already implemented:

Parse chat messages for groups:
    The addon checks all public messaging channels your character sees and tries to figure out if this message has the purpose of looking for people for a dunngeon. If such a message is found it will broadcast this message to other people using the addon. This means that the message of a player in stormwind that is looking for people to do deadmines with is going to be relayed to people outside of stormwind and vice versa. This enables people to actually go out in the world and do quests, farm, PvP and more.
    The addon then shows this in a nice formated way in its interface. You can then just click on the group and whisper the leader to join them

Addon created groups:
    This feature allows you to list your group in the tool with a button click and makes it visible to everyone with the addon. It also advertises for your group in a configurable chat channel of your choice, so even people without the addon are going to notice your group. People with the addon can just queue for your group and will show up in the list of applicants.
    This does not only include dungeons, but also has a custom category for world events like: World Bosses, Stranglethorn Arena ect.

Ignore List:
    Groups that contain people on your ignore list will not show up for you in the tool.

Not Planned:

- Making item level of applicants available to a group leader
    - Automated matchmaking

If you want to try out the addon for yourself, a first release is available on the twitch app or curseforge. I really hope to get your guys opinion on this in a civilized way
    Take this addon and shove it up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsoni View Post
    Repeat after me. "Blizzard made this game toxic and antisocial, not the users!"
    Last edited by Ghostile; 2019-06-06 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant say i like what you're trying to make.
    But it's a free world.
    I can just choose not to use it.
    ____

Though i must confess that i dont like the clutter and spam that happens in chat about LFG.
    But i do believe that the point of Vanilla is that you need to be at the city and to have to whisper the person and talk to them before joining.

What i'd really like to see is the in-game LFG chat be given a more immersive approach.
    Which would not change anything gameplay-wise, but would just add some RP to the G, and remove all that lightning-fast spam in chat.

My idea is this:

Place an ad board in Orgrimmar and Ironforge.
    There, people can post one ad at a time with JUST a small description and their name, to be whispered.
    No invite-button, no role selection, no dropdown menus.
    Only a manual word-search field.

And of course, people would have to be present and use the board, in order to see the ads.
    If you're the one posting an ad, it will remain posted until you leave the city.
    And it can be used for anything. Trading, lfg, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsoni View Post
    Just because you disagree doesnt mean you have to be an @ hole.
    I also disagree with this.

Is that how you talk to strangers in real life?
    Man, keyboard warriors everywhere.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-06-06 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Gl with development. Problem with addons like that is always that same: people that want to start using will expect that using it will get them into a group without having to interact with people, and people putting groups together expect that actual type of behaviour from people using the addons. Result is that you get shit for using the addon and stop using it.
    You will still have to interact with the people to join groups that have been advertised in the chat. Even if you would be the single user of the addon, it would still present to you all the groups that are looking for people that you saw (with more users you would see more groups from other chatting channels)

Quote Originally Posted by RainBoi View Post
    Funny troll, 1 post total
    Not a troll, like I said, its currently already available for testing if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Do you really think being rude qualifies as toxic behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by NecroLars View Post
    While I personally hope that Blizzard bricks addOns like the one you are currently developing, I wish you luck with it and want to remind you to never give up doing the things you enjoy in life.
    Thanks, I appreciate it, the internet can be a really cruel place :/

Repeat after me. "Blizzard made this game toxic and antisocial, not to users!"
    Yeah to bad stuff like LFD was addons made and used by the community before added by Blizzard.

People will keep making these threads because this quickly triggered community will keep falling for them.

This supposed addon does not exist and is not possible. Blizzard already neutered group forming addons by blocking the communication they depend on. Not to mention the fact that without a sophisticated machine learning backend, deciphering chat would always be a horrible failure.

While I wish you luck, I have a feeling addons like this are going to be booted by Blizzard and you are probably wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    i cant say i like what you're trying to make.
    but it's a free world.
    i can just choose not to use it.
    ____

though i must confess that i dont like the clutter and spam that happens in chat about LFG.
    but i do believe that the point of Vanilla is that you need to be at the city and to have to whisper the person and talk to them before joining.

what i'd really like to see is the in-game LFG chat be given a more immersive approach.
    Which would not change anything gameplay-wise, but would just add some RP to the G, and remove all that lightning-speed spam in chat.

my idea is this:

add an ad board to Orgrimmar and Ironforge.
    there people can post one ad at a time with JUST a small description and their name, to be whispered.
    no invite-button, no role selection, no dropdown menus.
    only a manual word-search field.

and of course, people would have to be present and use the board, in order to see the ads.\
    and it can be used for anything. trading, lfg, etc...

just because you disagree doesnt mean you have to be an @Hole.
    i also disagree with this.

is that how you talk to strangers in real life?
    man. keyboard warriors everywhere.
    I know a lot of people don't want to use it thats why the addon also broadcasts groups that are created using the addon to normal chat channels so they are visible to people without the addon too. To be honest I think people will create a server wide chatting channel ingame anyways and there are a lot more tools outside of the game now to actually group up, so I don't think such a board would actually be used by people, nice idea tho

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    People will keep making these threads because this quickly triggered community will keep falling for them.

This supposed addon does not exist and is not possible. Blizzard already neutered group forming addons by blocking the communication they depend on. Not to mention the fact that without a sophisticated machine learning backend, deciphering chat would always be a horrible failure.
    It exists and is currently available for download if you want to try it out.
    Last edited by Sumonk; 2019-06-06 at 10:10 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard didn’t make it that way, they might have not helped the process but ultimately it wasn’t them.

It was everyone else. People got older, teens/kids became adults. Many became bitter at what adult life has been for them.

In shorter words life happened. Many adults at like fucking assholes online because they are bitter at their own life so they take it out on others. Many adults hate themselves ect ect.

Making a mini map tracking addon would be more beneficial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brewshine View Post
    Blizzard didn’t make it that way, they might have not helped the process but ultimately it wasn’t them.

It was everyone else. People got older, teens/kids became adults. Many became bitter at what adult life has been for them.

In shorter words life happened. Many adults at like fucking assholes online because they are bitter at their own life so they take it out on others. Many adults hate themselves ect ect.
    True, that is why I get high and game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumonk View Post
    It exists and is currently available for download if you want to try it out.
    Except it doesn't exist ... not on Twitch. Not real hard to look.

And you didn't figure out some way to make a group finder after Blizzard specifically neutered them.

But nice try.

In before "Looking for people with current beta access to test."

Followed by: "My account's been hacked!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, i look forward to addons like this, im an adult and do NOT have the free time to spend 1,5h to do a 1h dungeon.
    Maybe u without jobs have time for this, ur welcome to not use it.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s