Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Warlock] How do you decide on what Spec to play?

Hey. (i am Level 120 already)

My first thought was to play Affli, but then i tried Demmo and that felt amazing, then i tried destro and that also felt amazing.. But Affli Also feels good..

How do you guys ever decide on which one to play, when all 3 are good?

I felt the same way in Legion, was just rotating the specs to give them all some attention. Now, however, I play almost exclusively Demo as it got so much better in BFA (to me) while other specs feel kinda worse.

I mean, aff is probably the best spec if you care about min/max. I wouldn't really raid as demo.

Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    I mean, aff is probably the best spec if you care about min/max. I wouldn't really raid as demo.
    All three are viable to raid as.

I have no idea, I had no clue what to spec at the start of legion, or BFA, in EN I played all 3 (Destro for dragons, demo for ursoc, etc) then in Nighthold I start nudging more towards Affli and that's what I stuck with.

In BFA I start as Affli until Demo got buffed, playing that now as I find it the most fun and I'll probably stick with it till the end of the expansion, it's good in M+ and decent in raids, I'm not good enough of a player to become profficient in all 3 specs during 1 expansion so I just stick with what I like.

i just go with what feels the best.

right now, destro feels slow and gross. never liked demo that much, because my pets are all the damage.

aff's fine, but i don't care much for dot specs. destro's my favorite, but with its weirdness in bfa, aff's my go to so far.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2019-06-07 at 11:20 AM.

While Destro is also very turret-like, I still find Demo still crippled by its heavily turret nature.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    All three are viable to raid as.
    All 3 are viable, one of the 3 is overall the better spec though and less of a hassle to play.

If we look at current content on Warcraft Logs Top 10 (if raiding is your goal), then;

Champion of the Light
    10 Destro

Jadefire Master
    10 Destro

Grong
    10 Destro

Opulence
    5 Demo
    4 Destro
    1 Aff

Conclave of the Chosen
    10 Destro

King Rastakhan
    5 Destro
    5 Aff

Mekkatorke
    7 Destro
    2 Demo
    1 Aff

Stormwall Blockade
    8 Destro
    1 Demo
    1 Aff

Jaina
    10 Destro

As for myself, I play Destro when theres 2+ target, and aff on single target bosses. I used to play only Demo in BFA until the nerf of the Explosive Potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalterast View Post
    If we look at current content on Warcraft Logs Top 10 (if raiding is your goal), then;

Champion of the Light
    10 Destro

Jadefire Master
    10 Destro

Grong
    10 Destro

Opulence
    5 Demo
    4 Destro
    1 Aff

Conclave of the Chosen
    10 Destro

King Rastakhan
    5 Destro
    5 Aff

Mekkatorke
    7 Destro
    2 Demo
    1 Aff

Stormwall Blockade
    8 Destro
    1 Demo
    1 Aff

Jaina
    10 Destro

As for myself, I play Destro when theres 2+ target, and aff on single target bosses. I used to play only Demo in BFA until the nerf of the Explosive Potential.
    I'd be careful going by warcraft log parses to judge which spec is better. Rasta and Jaina are good examples, those are destro warlocks staying out and padding on the adds.

Aff is the better progression spec for most guilds, the same is true for jaina, destro padding in p1. Most people will suggest you just play aff on prog currently on most fights, destro is more of a reclear pad spec.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/21

Here are the actual stats for bod.
    Last edited by asil; 2019-06-07 at 11:32 AM.

Warlock is my second toon after my main so take that as you will. Affl doesn’t feel right to me. I stick to Destro or Demo. At the current though, demo feels the best to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just go with what I personally like, which is Destruction. I clear Mythic raids for years with it just fine, it's a matter of what you want first and foremost.

The only 2 fights I pretty much had to go Affliction in my recent memory were Aggramar and now Uunat.

I don't like affliction because its visuals are shit and its gameplay feels way too passive to me.

Demo is ok for me personally, because at it has meaningful visual presence in fight, despite being pretty passive in nature too.

I suggest that you don't limit yourself to only 1 spec. For example, raiding Affliction is fine but for M+, Demo is the top current Warlock spec by far. You should plan to play at least 2 specs imo.

All 3 are viable, one of the 3 is overall the better spec though and less of a hassle to play.
    Lol if we are playing that game it’s not Affliction. I just play Affliction because I enjoy it. If you are in a decent guild though that nukes the boss you will probably do more damage as Destro., especially if you’re the lone Destro., and get full duration Havoc’s,
    Last edited by muto; 2019-06-08 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Lol if we are playing that game it’s not Affliction. I just play Affliction because I enjoy it. If you are in a decent guild though that nukes the boss you will probably do more damage as Destro., especially if you’re the lone Destro., and get full duration Havoc’s,

It's absolutely affliction. Which is why aff outperforms destro overall in Bod:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/21

Yeah, destro has a higher max because it's a good spec for doing insane damage on super short fight times that allow you to pad harder.

Destro has a higher damage potential during CD windows than aff does, but like, overall, for most players, aff is just going to be a better spec to play.

It also seriously depends. Destro started out better than aff on Grong, now aff is better than destro on grong:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...s/21#boss=2263

Aff beats destro (but it's very close) on opulence:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...s/21#boss=2271

Aff destroys destro on rasta:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...s/21#boss=2272

Aff destoys destro on mekka:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...s/21#boss=2276

They're about even on stormwall, though aff is a little ahead:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...s/21#boss=2280

Aff does worse than destro on Jaina, but a lot of that is likely from P1 dps, aff is still probably the better overall spec for guilds currently progressing on the fight.

Destro has a higher max dps, aff has better overall performance on most fights in BoD.
    Last edited by asil; 2019-06-08 at 09:13 PM.

Using 75 percentile as a reference point, put it at 90%, which is ideally where you should aim, because that means you're probably playing your spec right. Destro goes up even more the higher the %.

Now if we look at boss damage all about equal at 90%.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...dps&dataset=90

Point is you can play any spec, and be fine.
    Last edited by muto; 2019-06-08 at 10:22 PM.

play what ever spec does the most dmg

I currently just play Demo in PVE. Rotation is pretty fun and visuals are good. I was implosion build till Blizz nerfed it. The spec became far less enjoyable to me once I no longer had 50% haste at all times lol. For PVP I mostly play Destro but PVP in general hasn't been that fun since WoD but Its pretty rare that I will even PVP. Destro in PVE its just boring to me. Affliction current version is not fun to play at all.

If you really like them all evenly, go by whatever azerite traits you happen to get lucky with.

Some pieces are really solid across all specs, like the chest from Champions (as far as I remember), but if you have a helm that's BiS for Affliction but crummy for Demo, you might as well go Affliction if you like it anyway.

I'm not a fan of how BfA's destruction plays, so affliction/demo it is.