Poll: is Layering the better solution than over-spawn or not?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ofc dynamic respawns but only for the starting zones,sharding ups sorry i mean layering creates more problems then it solves.

You guys will not be affected by layering and you clearly don’t understand the concept of it or how it works...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MardestyGSOG View Post
    You guys will not be affected by layering and you clearly don’t understand the concept of it or how it works...
    Go on, explain it to us unenlightened folks then so that we may share your clearly advanced level of insight on how it operates. Please, i'm curious to hear just how it works, as it's something too much for me to wrap my head around!

If I have to choose, I will go with layering. There is a chance, layering wont affect me in any visible way. However dynamic respawning will affect me 100% and can't be just ignored

Dynamic respawn done right and kept to a minimum is acceptable. Layering is unacceptable and thank God they can't do world bosses with layering on as they said so there is no chance they keep it on unless if they turn it off on the world bosses zones which will suck.

Don't forget that the dynamic respawn we are seeing on PS is rubbish compared to what blizzard could implement.

If it was me running the game I would choose NONE! It worked well back then not having dynamic respawns or layering it can most definitely work now. Who cares if you are getting world server down etc, those were part of vanilla itself and although frustrating it contributed to the experience and tbh server crashes etc were pretty common for the early expansion. We even get that now in a lesser way.

Quote Originally Posted by Miena View Post
    Go on, explain it to us unenlightened folks then so that we may share your clearly advanced level of insight on how it operates. Please, i'm curious to hear just how it works, as it's something too much for me to wrap my head around!
    well everyone seems to have this idea that its just large scale sharding, which it is not. i wrote a long paragraph earlier on this thread explaining it, but ill give a TL;DR here. sharding is dynamic, EXTREMELY dynamic to the point that subzones are phased off and you could have 100 players on your screen and they will disappear the second you cross a line and you will never see them again as you and them are shipped off to different shards and will dynamically hop from one shard to the next everytime you step into an overpopulated area or phase into a subzone for quest purposes.

layering is a partition of a server which you and 3000ish other players are assigned to upon creating either your account or character(youre likely assigned a layer upon first character login, but your account will be assigned to that layer since you cant log onto multiple toons at once). you stay on this layer with all these players, consistently, so if you see xxlovestospooge at lvl 1 in valley of trials, you will also see him in the 20s in hillsbrad, because youre both on the same layer, which is continent wide, and then the opposite continent is a corresponding layer allowing you all to stay in essentially the same world but on different partitions.

now, say youre both on layer 1, and xxlovestospooge has an old guildmate from retail who begins classic later on after layer 1 has been capped, guildmate creates an account and he is assigned to layer 2, because layer 1 has been filled and now all the spillover goes to a new layer, partition A is full then you begin assigning to partition B. guildmate messages xxlovestospooge and tells him hes starting the old guild up again, sends him an invite, and spooge accepts, spooge has now permanently moved to layer 2 and will not just freely hop back to layer 1, he can hop back by partying up with those on his friends list from layer 1, but will go back to layer 2 once the party disbands to be with his guild again. that guild to party thing is the extend of how dynamic layering is, so very little. its an extremely static approach with very little exploit potential.

is that enlightened enough for ya? or is being placed permanently in the same world with the same 3000 players you originally joined with too close to sharding for you? because staying in the same world with the same 3000 players actually sounds EXACTLY like authentic vanilla.

but sure, we could just implement mass servers, watch the surge, watch servers completely die over time or become lopsided with 500 players total and 400 of them on one faction, all for the sake of appeasing players who cant tell the difference between layering and sharding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bookofblade View Post
    I am seeing a common thing brought up that I feel is being a bit overblown by people. They specifically stated that you would be tied to a layer. So if you were placed into layer 2 when you made your char you would log into layer 2 along with everyone else placed into layer 2 every time you log in. So no amount of logging in and out would cause you to be in a different layer allowing you to look for more herbs or whatever. The only way to change layers is to be invited into a party by someone from another layer. You would need to make arrangements with someone from that layer likely through means outside of the game as you would never have bumped into that person in game. So if you have enough friends already on your friends list all rolling on the same server and happen to all be placed on different layers then you could possibly work out some kinda layer hopping scheme however that assumes the system doesn't try to prioritize placing people who are friended together into the same layers if possible.
    well would ya look at that... someone turned their goddamn brains and ears on!
    Last edited by MardestyGSOG; 2019-06-06 at 11:16 PM.

The most recent large vanilla pserver had Dynamic Respawns, and...uh, while it worked, it was definitely not vanilla-like having 14k people online on a single server. Every single zone was crowded beyond belief and ganking was out of control.

At launch, things respawned literally 5 seconds after they died, and you could just stand in 1 spot killing the same mob over and over and over. Grinding was better than questing 1-10 simply because shit respawned so fast and you could just keep killing endlessly.

It also made caves into warzones. Like the naga cave in Darkshore, you NEEDED a full 5man group just to do the mushroom quest because shit would respawn so fast and overwhelm you if you only had 2 or 3 people.

I'll take layering over dynamic respawn any day.

Even so, didn't Ion say that vanilla already had some form of dynamic respawn? He said in an interview (I think with Esfand) that mob respawn timer was based on how fast they were killed after spawning, or something like that.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-06-06 at 10:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

It also made caves into warzones. Like the naga cave in Darkshore, you NEEDED a full 5man group just to do the mushroom quest because shit would respawn so fast and overwhelm you if you only had 2 or 3 people.
    That's just _bad_ dynamic respawn. Proper one would obviously not have this problem. Should be two settings in either case, insane settings for the first week and another that simply -1min respawn on a 5min respawn mob per player in proximity, they way it used to work on the best pvt servers (and no that wasn't yours) in the past which caused no death traps in caves and no endlessly standing around.

I'd take dynamic respawn any day, as it's not as intrusive as sharding e.g.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    That's just _bad_ dynamic respawn. Proper one would obviously not have this problem. Should be two settings in either case, insane settings for the first week and another that simply -1min respawn on a 5min respawn mob per player in proximity, they way it used to work on the best pvt servers (and no that wasn't yours) in the past which caused no death traps in caves and no endlessly standing around.

I'd take dynamic respawn any day, as it's not as intrusive as sharding e.g.
    Classic isn’t using sharding though so no worries

dynamic respawns affect the gameplay too much, in my opinion.

layering is close enough to the original experience, since the layers supposedly have the same amount of people as in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancreatin View Post
    Ofc dynamic respawns but only for the starting zones,sharding ups sorry i mean layering creates more problems then it solves.
    And dynamic respawns do not solve anything besides that you can do some quests. Overpopulation, lags, unable to login. For weeks. Good old days of not being able to play for 2-3 days after launch? Haven't seen that in Legion or BfA, bit laggy for the start, but at least you can play. WoD was quite bad when you had to do garison stuff, but before and after that it was smooth as silk.

Quote Originally Posted by dragnipur View Post
    The common between them is the population in a specific area or server.That is what is connecting them.And why i asked the question.
    No, it's not. Layering is meant to reduce server and client load . Dynamic respawns are to reduce waiting time in populated areas. They're different systems for different purposes and your question makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, it's not. Layering is meant to reduce server and client load . Dynamic respawns are to reduce waiting time in populated areas. They're different systems for different purposes and your question makes no sense.
    C'mon, they can and could be used to fulfil some thing. I think question is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    C'mon, they can and could be used to fulfil some thing. I think question is valid.
    No, they cannot. Dynamic respawn can't reduce the load on your system from having everything chock-full with players.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're going to have dynamic respawns with layering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    people don't just randomly pop in and out of your layer, the layer in which you will play is determined the moment you log into the server.. unless you invite someone over, the server won't passively be throwing players here and there.
    We've seen evidence on stream of players being "layered" in the middle of caves etc

what is the problem if they choose to do it just like in vanilla? no layering at all, people want 100% original experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    We've seen evidence on stream of players being "layered" in the middle of caves etc
    Can you show me please.

Is layering confirmed to be active in any of the stress tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Can you show me please.

Is layering confirmed to be active in any of the stress tests?
    https://clips.twitch.tv/InventiveSlipperyBaguetteKAPOW

https://clips.twitch.tv/MoralAgileCatTwitchRPG

https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveCredulousGnatGrammarKing

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks.

First one just looks like view distance.

Second one does indeed look like sharding, is layering confirmed active on the beta or stress tests?

Third is strange as well. From what they've explained Layering as, this is not meant to happen. This can't make it to live.