Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    This guy is completely and utterly misrepresenting the whole thing.

Elon Musk is promoting The Boring Company, he's not claiming to have invented tunnels, he's claiming that his company and technology can build them faster and cheaper than what we've been able to do in the past.
    ~snip~
    So you just felt like commenting on something you didn't even bother to check first?

Yes, he claimed they can build them faster and cheaper, but that claim is just that: A claim. With no basis in reality.
    Actually, what he really does is that all others are worse than they really are.
    He shows that he is average and then claims that makes him better than everyone else.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2019-06-07 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    I think the tunnel would serve more as a luxury speed ride for certain groups of people. I believe that traffic problems will go away within 20-30 years due to automated car drivers. If all cars are automated, then there is no point of these tunnels unless you would go at sonic speed.
    There would still be no point due to restraints to acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I don't understand how these tunnels would solve anything? Could someone explain?

It sounds to me like you're either waiting in line in a traffic jam or you're waiting in line to use the tunnel. Sure, the tunnel idea works once you're able to get into it. It didn't really look like it was going to be able to accept cars en masse.
    But Zafire - didn't you see? In the animation there was no queue for the tunnel at all. Yes yes, i know that in the animation there was bumper-to-bumper traffic in a deadlock right next to that oh so wonderful tunnel lift, but you see the reason for no one using it is..

ah fuck it, can't even make anything up more ridiculous than the actual reality. They actually fucking posted that animation thinking it made sense

Elon Musk is promoting The Boring Company, he's not claiming to have invented tunnels, he's claiming that his company and technology can build them faster and cheaper than what we've been able to do in the past. Which is actually a really really big deal. You see, while tunnels may have been invented a long time ago, they're very rarely used in any significant amount because digging them is slow and expensive as hell, and even worse if you're trying to do it underneath a city where you're not able to just rip out everything above it and put it back after you're done. There's a reason why the Channel Tunnel connecting the UK and France is considered one of the wonders of modern engineering.

If Elon Musk can make digging tunnels capable of handling car traffic at a rate and cost that puts extensive networks within the reach of most major cities, there are a lot of ways that could be used to great effect. Whether or not he can actually deliver on that is another thing entirely, while I'm generally a fan of his projects (I like Tesla and SpaceX) building a tunnel under a city gets exponentially more difficult the larger and longer it is (especially if if needs to be safe enough and reliable enough for commuters to travel through) and while I do believe that he might be able to bring the cost of doing so down I'd be super surprised to see it come down to the degree required to make it an economical option to revolutionize any of the current metropolitan areas.

So The Boring Company? Good. World changing? I'd be surprised.
    While I like Elon (I think EV's are nowhere near ready for mainstream and Tesla's are basically the Apple of cars), that's not what he's/TBC is claiming. The original purpose of the tunnels were much faster travel. If he thought he could build tunnels faster and cheaper, he would have demoed that, not a single-lane tunnel that was supposed to have cars travel on skids as 100+ MPH. Now, at the same time, almost all of his ideas shift dramatically during the prototyping phase, I *think* I remember a comment about "faster and cheaper", but I don't think I even now recall anything explicitly saying that was the business intent.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Elon Musk is truly one of the greatest minds of our generation. Makes a few billion on the interwebs, then slides that into electric cars and upends that industry, then slides more into space exploration, and revolutionizes that industry.

But please, go on with all your hate - it's adorable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I did like his cali tunnel system but too bad that was abandoned
    Lol, not abandoned. Ramping up in fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    guy makes billions of dollars then goes on a mission to spend it trying to prove to everyone hes smart,his money i guess.
    Did you miss the part where he actually proved it? Or do you think SpaceX doesn't exist?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Thunderfoot called it years ago, but you can't stop retards from joining cults of personality.
    Huh? What are you going on about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    He's selling stupid ideas to idiots who think he is some sort of genius. He isn't. He's a berk.

He never actually needs to deliver on any of these ideas, in fact it's probably best for him that he doesn't, just in case some of the people (including governments) work out he hasn't got a clue what he is talking about.
    Awwwww - look who's jealous. Or did you miss SpaceX completely?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    pretty sure thunderfoot has a job involving working with chemicals. something to that degree. he bought it up in one of his videos. the only clown here is elon musk.
    I love seeing the ignorant try and piss all over Musk after his string of out-of-this-world successes. Haters going to hate, regardless of reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon Musk is promoting The Boring Company, he's not claiming to have invented tunnels, he's claiming that his company and technology can build them faster and cheaper than what we've been able to do in the past. Which is actually a really really big deal. You see, while tunnels may have been invented a long time ago, they're very rarely used in any significant amount because digging them is slow and expensive as hell, and even worse if you're trying to do it underneath a city where you're not able to just rip out everything above it and put it back after you're done. There's a reason why the Channel Tunnel connecting the UK and France is considered one of the wonders of modern engineering.

If Elon Musk can make digging tunnels capable of handling car traffic at a rate and cost that puts extensive networks within the reach of most major cities, there are a lot of ways that could be used to great effect. Whether or not he can actually deliver on that is another thing entirely, while I'm generally a fan of his projects (I like Tesla and SpaceX) building a tunnel under a city gets exponentially more difficult the larger and longer it is (especially if if needs to be safe enough and reliable enough for commuters to travel through) and while I do believe that he might be able to bring the cost of doing so down I'd be super surprised to see it come down to the degree required to make it an economical option to revolutionize any of the current metropolitan areas.

So The Boring Company? Good. World changing? I'd be surprised.
    Agreed. The number of people who just want to hate for the sake of hating, without really getting into the details and outright ignoring obvious successes, is mind boggling.

Your point about The Boring Company is spot on. Musk figured out a way to make long distance underground tunnels cheaper than others, and it will really be a good thing.

i'm honestly still surprised they let a private company just dig a tunnel under a populated area. (as opposed to the state commissioning the tunnel)

just imagine mr elon decides to skimp on maintenance and the thing collapses 10-20 years form now, wonder whos going to end up paying the damages.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    So you just felt like commenting on something you didn't even bother to check first?

Yes, he claimed they can build them faster and cheaper, but that claim is just that: A claim. With no basis in reality.
    Actually, what he really does is that all others are worse than they really are.
    He shows that he is average and then claims that makes him better than everyone else.
    Can we please go back to just being blindly hyped about this guy? This is just too cynical. He still is the guy who put a crapton of money into launching a car with Bowie music into space, created PayPal, is legitimately researching possibilities of colonizing Mars and Tesla revolutionized electric cars. Who cares if he is bragging and kind of a douche sometimes? It's small fucking potatos.

So yeah, I'd put my money on Musk tunneling through the fucking planet just to prove he can, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    i'm honestly still surprised they let a private company just dig a tunnel under a populated area. (as opposed to the state commissioning the tunnel)

just imagine mr elon decides to skimp on maintenance and the thing collapses 10-20 years form now, wonder whos going to end up paying the damages.
    That is an interesting point, but I'd imagine it's no different(?) that any other project? You want to build a 100 story skyscraper, get an engineer, take it to the city, get the plans approved or not? I admit it seems like it's "different" (for a reason I can't fully explain) when you're digging under a city vs building a 100 story skyscraper that could collapse, but yea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Can we please go back to just being blindly hyped about this guy? This is just too cynical. He still is the guy who put a crapton of money into launching a car with Bowie music into space, created PayPal, is legitimately researching possibilities of colonizing Mars and Tesla revolutionized electric cars. Who cares if he is bragging and kind of a douche sometimes? It's small fucking potatos.

So yeah, I'd put my money on Musk tunneling through the fucking planet just to prove he can, why not.
    I always say, I have no problem with someone bragging about something if they can back it up. He certainly can and does.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    This made me giggle, but I agree. Musk is the type of person we need, someone who is willing to try something new or push an industry into a certain direction for the betterment of humanity.

Tesla may not be the best EV, or automated car, but it's pushed the car industry into that era. Look at almost all car manufacturers now, they ALL have some type of EV now, they didn't before Tesla came along. Fuck, look at the Chinese Nio EP9. That car is fucking insane. I honestly believe China will be a superpower in cars soon, they already are in many things. Look at their road system. 30 years ago, they had almost no roads, now they build 6000 MILES OF ROAD A YEAR. They're building shit so fast that they can't even build service stations to service them fast enough. 4 of the 5 longest bridges in the world are in China.... The Chinese are fucking insane at getting shit done these days.

He will no doubt have a few failures here and there. But as long as he continues to promote successful ideas like SpaceX (I suspect we will also add Tesla and Solar City to the list in the near future) there is very little limit to what he can do. He is the Edison, Ford, Tesla of our time.

People like to talk a lot of shit about him, for the sake of talking shit, but I still think future historians will regard him as one of the people responsible for saving our planet.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post

From hyperloop to good 'ol regular car tunnel. Revolutionary. Please have my babies Elon.
    Elon Musk is a weirdo.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll never understand some people's weird hate-boner for Musk. He's not god, but he's trying to do well in most situations. Which is typically more than most of the weird hate-boner crowd will ever manage with their screaming into the wind.

That's just how inventing new tech works. Sometimes it's revolutionary and previously thought impossible, other times it ends up being a logistical nightmare to do something huge and you have to settle for the relatively smaller things you found on the way.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post

From hyperloop to good 'ol regular car tunnel. Revolutionary. Please have my babies Elon.
    Rich people have the privilege to do whatever they want, even if it fails. Its how this society works.

Remember when Howard Hughes [Howard Robard Hughes Jr. (December 24, 1905 – April 5, 1976) was an American business magnate, investor, record-setting pilot, engineer, film director, and philanthropist, known during his lifetime as one of the most financially successful individuals in the world.] made the largest Airplane in the world at that time, out of ...wood?

“Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

7+ Year Old Account
    He has his hits and misses. I like to think his main goals are to push tech. Telsa may fail eventually but you can't deny that it has pushed all the other vendors to really invest in electric vehicles. SpaceX is pushing commercial rocketry competition and not the sub orbital tourist crap. Oh and don't forget the flamethrower. muahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Rich people have the privilege to do whatever they want, even if it fails. Its how this society works.

Remember when Howard Hughes [Howard Robard Hughes Jr. (December 24, 1905 – April 5, 1976) was an American business magnate, investor, record-setting pilot, engineer, film director, and philanthropist, known during his lifetime as one of the most financially successful individuals in the world.] made the largest Airplane in the world at that time, out of ...wood?

And just like the Spruce Goose the Stratolaunch plane has flown once and will most likely never fly again since Paul Allan has died.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I don't understand how these tunnels would solve anything? Could someone explain?

It sounds to me like you're either waiting in line in a traffic jam or you're waiting in line to use the tunnel. Sure, the tunnel idea works once you're able to get into it. It didn't really look like it was going to be able to accept cars en masse.
    He has leagues of followers that simply don't care how practical or impractical his ideas are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I love seeing the ignorant try and piss all over Musk after his string of out-of-this-world successes.
    The "hyperloop" was a success?
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    That is an interesting point, but I'd imagine it's no different(?) that any other project? You want to build a 100 story skyscraper, get an engineer, take it to the city, get the plans approved or not? I admit it seems like it's "different" (for a reason I can't fully explain) when you're digging under a city vs building a 100 story skyscraper that could collapse, but yea.
    The difference is that, generally, other people own the land you tunnel beneath and they do not get a say.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    pretty sure thunderfoot has a job involving working with chemicals. something to that degree. he bought it up in one of his videos. the only clown here is elon musk.
    Musk has had plenty of duds but he's also had some of the most brilliant inventions as well. He's done far more than Thunderf00t who has fingernails-on-chalkboard voice.

Sweeping Musk's genius inventions under the rug while talking about all of his duds will of course make any rube think he's an incompetent lunatic. But he has money for a reason, and not Trump's fake claims of money.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Who would have thought that the boring company is.... actually pretty boring.

This is a pipe dream as his hyperloop thingie. The first accident down there for whatever reason and it'll be abandoned faster than people can spell "Musk".

I`d be impressed if he`d come up with his first viable idea after paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    That is what you interpret, not what was written. "Hits and misses" - look very closely at that phrase again!
    What were the hits? Not saying there weren't any, but it seems to me the misses were far bigger and far more numerous.