Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Even a veteran player can screw up sometimes.

I've had plenty of bad dungeon runs in my nearly 13 years of playing WoW, but yesterday I realized just how much I don't know about this game.

I caused two wipes in a row in Maraudon... As I was informed, when you jump from the waterfall or any long distance, your pet doesn't exactly follow you. It paths back and will pull anything it aggroes with it- in my case, everything. First wipe, the tank just said, "Your fucking pet." to which I was incredibly confused- my imp was out and it didn't have a taunt or anything of the sort.

It happened again, still no explanation why. Group is pissed and bails on me. After some /r prodding and an apology the tank finally explains what happened. We have a short but civil and polite conversation about it, but I still feel like a moron...

I just said out loud, "Fuck, dude..." I've been around since November of 2006 and I played like a newbie. I've never been a hardcore raider or even gotten that far into any recent expansion, but I'm usually better than that.

TLDR version/Final Thought: Nobody is perfect. It might be a new player, or some people may be trying out a new role or a new class- in my case, a warlock. Within reason (obviously there's a point where you need to be prepared), try to teach. Rather than resort to insults, help them. You might be nurturing the mythic raider of tomorrow and you'll never know it. You might be helping a veteran player find a new path in the game. You never know.

Something tells me you skipped WoD (cant blame you), or at least didnt enter Shadowmoon Burial Grounds with character that has pets.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry. But haven't u known that for the 13 last years ������ poor guy ������

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Something tells me you skipped WoD (cant blame you), or at least didnt enter Shadowmoon Burial Grounds with character that has pets.
    I did skip over it for the most part- I have never run Shadowmoon Burial Grounds, so I can't say I know what you're referring to. Most of my experience with this game was with melee/tank so I can't say I've messed with pet classes beyond Northrend at the most...
    Last edited by Texan Penguin; 2019-06-07 at 05:49 PM.

i just got a PTSD flash back of doing UBRS back in the day as a hunter and not knowing about this.
    Jumping down to the boss area and because the pathing was so long we got like half way threw the boss event.
    And all of a sudden over half of the UBRS came running after my pet killing us in seconds it was quite the experience ever since then i have dismissed my pet after jumping down any ledge just in case.

Now lets categorize with:
    "Veteran players by age"
    "Veteran players by experience"

I was a Spirit Hunter in TBC.
    Last edited by Zakajz; 2019-06-07 at 05:56 PM.

I've been playing since late vanilla. I have raided in the Realm First races back in the days when that was cool. I know my stuff pretty well. Sort of....

I was in a lowlevel dungeon today where the tank had marked himself with the big red cross over his character. As we progressed through the dungeon, I noticed some of the triggerhappy DPS would sometimes get aggro and the tank was a bit slow to pick up the trash. No biggie, we've all been there, right? Anyways, near the end, one of the TWO mobs went for the healer. Everyone else was fighting inside the room, just the healer standing outside and getting aggro, so I, being a warrior, of course used my Taunt to drag it to the tank. Suddenly the tank just typed in angry caps STOP TAUNTING!!! Errrr.... What?

Oh...........

Turns out he was the one outside and for some reason the rest of us was fighting the other mob. And I was taunting his target, but didn't notice the cross because I zoom out a lot.....

Oops!
    Last edited by Throwme; 2019-06-07 at 06:11 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was the tank that got upset and just randomly happened to click on this post, I think we both learned a little something. I learned to be more patient and considerate of other players in the group.

That feeling you are feeling is shame, and you will learn and grow from it.

There's no magic talking crystal-ladies who can sing away the pain.

You gotta get tough and be better.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't even trust pet pathing. Blizzard supposedly "fixed" it a while ago by having your pet dismiss itself or teleport to your location if you jump from certain heights, but it doesn't always happen consistently.

Since BC I always dismissed my pet, even if it's a DPS loss during an encounter. I would rather be be lower on the meters than wipe the group.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    I've been playing since late vanilla. I have raided in the Realm First races back in the days when that was cool. I know my stuff pretty well. Sort of....

I was in a lowlevel dungeon today where the tank had marked himself with the big red cross over his character. As we progressed through the dungeon, I noticed some of the triggerhappy DPS would sometimes get aggro and the tank was a bit slow to pick up the trash. No biggie, we've all been there, right? Anyways, near the end, one of the TWO mobs went for the healer. Everyone else was fighting inside the room, just the healer standing outside and getting aggro, so I, being a warrior, of course used my Taunt to drag it to the tank. Suddenly the tank just typed in angry caps STOP TAUNTING!!! Errrr.... What?

Oh...........

Turns out he was the one outside and for some reason the rest of us was fighting the other mob. And I was taunting his target, but didn't notice the cross because I zoom out a lot.....

Oops!
    To be fair, I may have done the same thing, but intentionally, if the tank was unnecessarily making an LoS or long pull. That add being left to run to the tank slows down DPS, as it won’t be available for cleave.

New, and experienced but bad, often put their foot down on how pulls are done in the weirdest, and most unnecessary ways. LoS pulling when it isn’t needed, and refusing to engage the pull when DPS rightly move in and begin AoEing down the pack.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've known this since, ummm early Vanilla. Because if you didn't know that, there were quite a few places you could have wiped the group. Particularly in Wailing Caverns.

However if you didn't play a pet class, it might have been easy to not know that. Though it does surprise me a little that you didn't.

Still, knowing it and acting on it are two different things. I've known it for 14+ years. Yet less than three weeks ago I jumped off the lightning walker boss platform in Gnomeregan without having dismissed my pet... Whooops... Luckily I didn't wipe the group because the amount that pulls in there is not enough to kill a decent tank+healer, so long as it goes down fairly fast (and the tank is preferably a plate tank).

So yeah, even experienced players do dumb things occasionally.

I've done this, even after I knew it would happen I sometimes still forgot when I was playing hunter. Granted 1. I don't play hunter much so when leveling it was easy to forget I had a pet in dungeons and 2. I like to troll my friends so more often than not it was on purpose

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jargathnan View Post
    New, and experienced but bad, often put their foot down on how pulls are done in the weirdest, and most unnecessary ways. LoS pulling when it isn’t needed, and refusing to engage the pull when DPS rightly move in and begin AoEing down the pack.
    That cuts both ways though, dude.

New and experienced-but-overconfident-or-just-stupid, or worst of all, totally impatient DPS will often engage shit when a LOS pull makes perfect sense. This is particularly bad if you're leveling, and playing a tank class that isn't one of the stronger ones (Monk pre-78, for example, especially at the lower levels).

This can leave mobs all over the place and even give the healer a heart attack, depending on what exactly happens, where the LOS pull would have very neatly stacked the mobs for AOE.

I do take your general point though - it can be pretty funny to see what some tanks insist on.

I still ask myself jumping down somewhere if my pet will pull or not. So this is not new or something that never happened before. Now you know at least.

Just wanna throw it out there that most hunters in wod used lone wolf unless bm and it was genuinely someone else that pulled the mobs half the time. During CM runs i was doing on my hunter our shaman was raging at me about this in this very dungeon, he finally realises it's not me and i am using lone wolf, 4 attempts later we find out its HIS totem, the lava aoe one, it would clip through the floor and walls and agro mobs.

Not always the pet class, especially in wod when both had options to have no pet which was pretty popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're all human and contrary to popular belief we can't know everything.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Yes but actually no View Post
    Just wanna throw it out there that most hunters in wod used lone wolf unless bm and it was genuinely someone else that pulled the mobs half the time. During CM runs i was doing on my hunter our shaman was raging at me about this in this very dungeon, he finally realises it's not me and i am using lone wolf, 4 attempts later we find out its HIS totem, the lava aoe one, it would clip through the floor and walls and agro mobs.
    Just blame warlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jargathnan View Post
    Tanks learn to pull in the way that works for them. As DPS and healers we should just adjust and make a polite suggestion later on. We need our tanks.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Just blame warlocks.
    They had grimsac, blame shamans!.