Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hopefully posting this here instead maybe is fine:

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...231197138.html

St. Louis ob-gyn Amy Addante tweeted this week about the real-world effect of the requirements being imposed on patients and doctors at the last clinic performing abortions in Missouri.

“Today,” the doctor wrote, “I was forced by the state of Missouri to perform an unnecessary pelvic exam on a patient terminating her pregnancy for a fetal anomaly. She is heartbroken over her situation, and I was forced to do an invasive, uncomfortable exam. It broke me as a physician to do this to her.”

To her, not for her. Not for any medical reason, but to keep the clinic open, at least for now.

This harassment by the state is not to be confused with Missouri’s new ban on abortions performed after the eighth week of pregnancy, with no exceptions in cases of rape or incest. That law is scheduled to take effect on Aug. 28.
    This is state-sanctioned sexual assault. They are forcing doctors to perform invasive pelvic exams on women seeking abortions for absolutely no medical reason just to try to discourage them from getting them. Doctors are sickened by having to do this, but are legally being forced to do it by the state of Missouri in order to keep their clinics open.

You heard that right: the state of Missouri is forcing doctors to perform invasive pelvic exams on women that are not medically necessary, you know, sexual assault, in order to keep their clinics offering health services for women open. This is absolutely disgusting.

And no it's not a "women's issue", this is the government forcing doctors to do things that are medically unnecessary and violate their code of ethics.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a necessity for a pelvic exam, it's just not a medical one. The necessity is to force abortion providers to pass through more and more difficult hoops to stay open. They aren't "banning" abortion, they're just making it realistically impossible to get one.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Apparently, Georgia has a booming film industry due to their generous tax breaks. Their film production generated $9.5 billion and created more than 90,000 jobs last year.

Well, that's about to end as Disney is ready to pull out of filming in GA if their new anti-abortion law passes. Disney would be the third giant, after WarnerMedia and Netflix to do so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.f4bc90ba65c0

"On Thursday, WarnerMedia — the parent company of HBO and Warner Bros. — became the latest big studio to correlate its business interests in Georgia with the law. The move comes one day after Walt Disney’s chairman and chief executive, Bob Iger, took a similar stance and two days after Netflix announced it would actively work to challenge the law. Several independent production companies also have threatened to cut ties with the state.

The backlash stems from legislation signed by Republican Gov. Brian Kemp earlier this month. The measure prohibits abortion once the fetal heartbeat can be detected, which typically happens near the six-week mark, before many women know they are pregnant. Georgia is among more than a dozen states that have adopted or are moving toward similar restrictions on abortion."

Good. I have zero sympathy for these states, let them rot.
    I find it interesting that these states don't seem to have any problem accepting moneys from the hedonistic Hollywood companies and talk bad about them at the same time. Or in this case, from a San Francisco, a New York and a Burbank based companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I find it interesting that these states don't seem to have any problem accepting moneys from the hedonistic Hollywood companies and talk bad about them at the same time. Or in this case, from a San Francisco, a New York and a Burbank based companies.
    I think it was Endus who pointed out that conservatives today don't understand principles, only end results. They don't care that their money comes from the people they hate, because at the end of the day they're still getting money.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    Hopefully posting this here instead maybe is fine:

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...231197138.html

This is state-sanctioned sexual assault. They are forcing doctors to perform invasive pelvic exams on women seeking abortions for absolutely no medical reason just to try to discourage them from getting them. Doctors are sickened by having to do this, but are legally being forced to do it by the state of Missouri in order to keep their clinics open.

You heard that right: the state of Missouri is forcing doctors to perform invasive pelvic exams on women that are not medically necessary, you know, sexual assault, in order to keep their clinics offering health services for women open. This is absolutely disgusting.

And no it's not a "women's issue", this is the government forcing doctors to do things that are medically unnecessary and violate their code of ethics.
    Glad you re-posted here and agree, this isn't a "women's issue", it's a health care issue that is politically motivated. Your thread absolutely belongs here.

Perhaps the next time we see a thread on male circumcision, we can expect it to be shut down also since it involves a "men's issue." Who am I kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Good. I have zero sympathy for these states, let them rot.
    I usually avoid the politics subforum but this is an issue close to me so I've occasionally checked this topic and this comment in particular really makes my blood boil.

I know that money is basically the only thing politicians, especially the GOP, care about, but I don't think moving out of the state and abandoning the people you claim to care about (like Disney, Netflix, etc are threatening to do) is exactly good either. I live in Georgia, I know people that work with these companies regularly, and I've worked with them occasionally. None of us support the abortion bill, none of us voted for the people that support it. From what I've heard and seen, the movie/tv sets in general are pretty liberal, I doubt many there support it either. All moving is going to do is put my friends, and people like them, out of a job.

It's easy to say "move to wherever <company> moves" but we've all got family and friends here. Most of that family (all in some of our cases) and all of those friends don't support the abortion bill and didn't vote for the people responsible for it, but most of them can't afford to move. They're tied down by jobs, friends, and family of their own.

Do you want the people living in the state that are actively fighting against shit like the heartbeat bill to rot? Because that's what removing their jobs will do. I doubt many evangelicals are working for Disney, they're going to be fine if Disney leaves. In my opinion it's pretty shitty to claim you're fighting for a group of people while leaving thousands of them jobless. Abandoning people in Georgia that can't move (or would be very difficult to) seems like a real backwards ass way of helping them instead of staying, supporting them, and using the huge economic power these companies have to fund local organizations that help women and other disenfranchised groups.

So do you really care about the people that are affected by this and fighting back? Or do you just want the rush of "punishing the other side" when you read Disney/Netlix/etc have moved out of Georgia?

Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post
    I usually avoid the politics subforum but this is an issue close to me so I've occasionally checked this topic and this comment in particular really makes my blood boil.

I know that money is basically the only thing politicians, especially the GOP, care about, but I don't think moving out of the state and abandoning the people you claim to care about (like Disney, Netflix, etc are threatening to do) is exactly good either. I live in Georgia, I know people that work with these companies regularly, and I've worked with them occasionally. None of us support the abortion bill, none of us voted for the people that support it. From what I've heard and seen, the movie/tv sets in general are pretty liberal, I doubt many there support it either. All moving is going to do is put my friends, and people like them, out of a job.

It's easy to say "move to wherever <company> moves" but we've all got family and friends here. Most of that family (all in some of our cases) and all of those friends don't support the abortion bill and didn't vote for the people responsible for it, but most of them can't afford to move. They're tied down by jobs, friends, and family of their own.

Do you want the people living in the state that are actively fighting against shit like the heartbeat bill to rot? Because that's what removing their jobs will do. I doubt many evangelicals are working for Disney, they're going to be fine if Disney leaves. In my opinion it's pretty shitty to claim you're fighting for a group of people while leaving thousands of them jobless. Abandoning people in Georgia that can't move (or would be very difficult to) seems like a real backwards ass way of helping them instead of staying, supporting them, and using the huge economic power these companies have to fund local organizations that help women and other disenfranchised groups.

So do you really care about the people that are affected by this and fighting back? Or do you just want the rush of "punishing the other side" when you read Disney/Netlix/etc have moved out of Georgia?
    The NCAA threatening to move out of NC sucessfully got them to reverse HB2....

If the issue is important enough, which abortion rights are, I'm A-OK with groups that have more power than I have exerting pressure. The people that live there can exert their own pressure to also help.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The NCAA threatening to move out of NC sucessfully got them to reverse HB2....

If the issue is important enough, which abortion rights are, I'm A-OK with groups that have more power than I have exerting pressure. The people that live there can exert their own pressure to also help.
    I'm all for exerting pressure. I'm not okay with abandoning people you claim to care about, which is what moving out of the state would do.

Also, no they didn't. From my understanding, they did a half-assed partial repeal of HB2 in 2017 that basically no one liked and only then because Cooper (a democrat) beat sleeze Pat McCrory in the governors race. If McCrory (the guy that supported and signed HB2 into law) would have won(and he barely lost), who knows what would have happened with it, even with the NCAA breathing down his neck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think it was Endus who pointed out that conservatives today don't understand principles, only end results. They don't care that their money comes from the people they hate, because at the end of the day they're still getting money.
    Don't give me too much credit. I'll freely admit I'm cribbing and paraphrasing from what others have said before.

Then convince your friends, family, neighbours, etc to stop voting for this shit. Spread the net wide. Your State has made working within it intolerable, so get your State representatives to pull their collective heads out of the far-right's ass.

Is it uncomfortable? Does it make you angry? Good. That's the point. To make these decisions matter to Georgians who might otherwise not give a shit. To make them upset with their State government for making this decision. For making their State an untenable place to do business for these companies.

You should be upset. But if you're upset at Disney et al, you're angry at the wrong targets.

It's like your local pool passed a rule allowing people to piss in the pool. And the people running your water polo league said "oh, fuck that" and aren't running it at your local pool any more. The people to get pissed at are those managing the pool, who passed the pro-pee rule into effect, not your water polo league for not encouraging people to swim in piss-drenched water.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-06-07 at 09:48 PM.

It's not about punishing the other side. It is about companies making a political statement and directing it exactly where it hurts the most, money. I can understand that my statement of "let them rot" would anger you and let me assure you that I am beyond angered myself when I see women's rights being shat on in a way that's unimaginable in other first world countries. You want politics in your state to change, so they stop dragging us all down? Start making a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Then convince your friends, family, neighbours, etc to stop voting for this shit. Spread the net wide. Your State has made working within it intolerable, so get your State representatives to pull their collective heads out of the far-right's ass.

Is it uncomfortable? Does it make you angry? Good. That's the point. To make these decisions matter to Georgians who might otherwise not give a shit. To make them upset with their State government for making this decision. For making their State an untenable place to do business for these companies.

You should be upset. But if you're upset at Disney et al, you're angry at the wrong targets.

It's like your local pool passed a rule requiring people to piss in the pool. And the people running your water polo league said "oh, fuck that" and aren't running it at your local pool any more. The people to get pissed at are those managing the pool, who passed the pro-pee rule into effect, not your water polo league for not encouraging people to swim in piss-drenched water.
    We don't vote for this shit. Half the voters didn't vote for it. That's the point. We do all we can to encourage others to not vote for it. If the state was a hivemind that overwhelmingly supported Brian Kemp and his stupid heartbeat bill, then I'd be all for the movie/tv industry abandoning people here. But 49% oppose it, only 44% support it. Hell, 58% in that same poll said they believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

Kemp won by less than 2% of the vote. And the biggest portion of his voters are poorly educated whites that didn't want a black woman to be governor. If you've got a way my friends, family, and neighbors can convince that demographic to not tick R every single time, I would love to hear it. I can practically guarantee you they don't give a shit about movies/tv moving out of Georgia though, if anything they see it as a win that they've drove out the ~Hollywood Elite~.

I can hate the heartbeat law, hate Kemp, do everything in my power to fight it and make sure it doesn't get worse and still be mad at production companies for threatening to leave people behind instead of staying and helping the fight like some are doing.

You're basically saying "end racism, sexism, and voter suppression", which is all well and good but that's a long fight and I don't think half of Georgians (or any state, but I haven't looked at % for them) should be abandoned because the other half have ignorant, hateful beliefs. Losing good jobs makes it harder to fight back on a grassroots level.

10+ Year Old Account

Kemp won by less than 2% of the vote. And the biggest portion of his voters are poorly educated whites that didn't want a black woman to be governor. If you've got a way my friends, family, and neighbors can convince that demographic to not tick R every single time, I would love to hear it. I can practically guarantee you they don't give a shit about movies/tv moving out of Georgia though, if anything they see it as a win that they've drove out the ~Hollywood Elite~.

You're basically saying "end racism, sexism, and voter suppression", which is all well and good but that's a long fight and I don't think half of Georgians (or any state, but I haven't looked at % for them) should be abandoned because the other half have ignorant, hateful beliefs. Losing good jobs makes it harder to fight back on a grassroots level.
    there's a very simple solution for those people. STOP BEING RACIST. otherwise don't be surprised when the rest of the u.s. gets tired of the south's racist shit and leaves it to wallow in it's misery.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    They probably think taking money from them is like a fine.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    there's a very simple solution for those people. STOP BEING RACIST. otherwise don't be surprised when the rest of the u.s. gets tired of the south's racist shit and leaves it to wallow in it's misery.
    So you're content with abandoning the people that aren't like that but happen to live in these states? You know, the people trying to fight against oppressive laws and hateful politicians.

Again, the south is not a hivemind of racist, inbred hillbillies. I know it's convenient to believe because it makes you feel good when you see these states getting fucked over, but it isn't reality. Reality is roughly half the people down here aren't okay with the shit that's going on but they have to endure it because the other side gets (often through dirty means) 1.4% more of the vote.

You're basically saying the rest of the world should give up on the USA and leave it to wallow in it's misery because Trump won. Despite the popular vote suggesting a majority aren't okay with him. Personally, I'd rather decent people around the world show us support (even if it's only moral support) instead of just pointing and laughing.
    Last edited by seleri; 2019-06-07 at 10:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I live in Georgia and it's hilarious watching state legislators shit their pants as the film industry and several others are threatening to go elsewhere because of this abortion ban. Citizens may not have a voice but money does. Corporations like Disney doing something right for once.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

We don't vote for this shit. Half the voters didn't vote for it. That's the point. We do all we can to encourage others to not vote for it. If the state was a hivemind that overwhelmingly supported Brian Kemp and his stupid heartbeat bill, then I'd be all for the movie/tv industry abandoning people here. But 49% oppose it, only 44% support it. Hell, 58% in that same poll said they believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

I can hate the heartbeat law, hate Kemp, do everything in my power to fight it and make sure it doesn't get worse and still be mad at production companies for threatening to leave people behind instead of staying and helping the fight like some are doing.

Life is hard, why make it harder? Abandon the state, let them wallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Life is hard, why make it harder? Abandon the state, let them wallow.
    most people don't have the means to just up root and move to another state, likely abandoning their friends/family/job/and entire support structure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    I live in Georgia and it's hilarious watching state legislators shit their pants as the film industry and several others are threatening to go elsewhere because of this abortion ban. Citizens may not have a voice but money does. Corporations like Disney doing something right for once.
    It's a reminder that the best way to get to the GOP is to go after the most important thing in their lives: Their bank accounts.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're content with abandoning the people that aren't like that but happen to live in these states? You know, the people trying to fight against oppressive laws and hateful politicians.

Again, the south is not a hivemind of racist, inbred hillbillies. I know it's convenient to believe because it makes you feel good when you see these states getting fucked over, but it isn't reality. Reality is roughly half the people down here aren't okay with the shit that's going on but they have to endure it because the other side gets (often through dirty means) 1.4% more of the vote.

You're basically saying the rest of the world should give up on the USA and leave it to wallow in it's misery because Trump won. Despite the popular vote suggesting a majority aren't okay with him. Personally, I'd rather decent people around the world show us support (even if it's only moral support) instead of just pointing and laughing.
    the people you vote in and their policies say otherwise. actions not words. the majority of the south appears to outsiders to still be very racist and backwards.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    It's a reminder that the best way to get to the GOP is to go after the most important thing in their lives: Their bank accounts.
    Georgia should be worried because NBC, CBS, Viacom, Sony and AMC had just joined Netflix, Disney and WarnerMedia. Some of AMC casts of “The Walking Dead” already said that they don't want to work in Georgia should the bill take effect.