Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Seriously, Star Wars is the smallest gigantic universe. I've been avoiding this whole thing for a while because it ultimately comes back to a race thing. For a franchise that's supposedly being more diverse and progressive, by having all of the important Jedi be white people. This whole thing could be avoided by simply giving us customization like the Jedi Knight series had years ago. But I should just bite the bullet and be happy with the scraps we get.
    And it's mostly understandable in the context of the primary movies. Episodes 1-9 are really all about the Skywalker family, who are white people. But when you start expanding outward into the rest of the Star Wars universe, there's no reason to stick to that subset of force users.

Given the popularity of characters like Ahsoka Tano, Yoda, or even Darth Maul, it's not like the idea of a story about a non-human character is completely alien(pun intended).

I think Respawn just didn't really think things through, or wanted to play it safe. I mean, given how many other white male jedi protagonists there are in Star Wars, it's not difficult to understand. It's just disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    And it's mostly understandable in the context of the primary movies. Episodes 1-9 are really all about the Skywalker family, who are white people. But when you start expanding outward into the rest of the Star Wars universe, there's no reason to stick to that subset of force users.

Given the popularity of characters like Ahsoka Tano, Yoda, or even Darth Maul, it's not like the idea of a story about a non-human character is completely alien(pun intended).

I think Respawn just didn't really think things through, or wanted to play it safe. I mean, given how many other white male jedi protagonists there are in Star Wars, it's not difficult to understand. It's just disappointing.
    while there's a lot of other species in the universe, humans are by far the most populous. there's multitudes of planets whose sole populace is human or near-human.

so it makes sense there's more prominent human jedi than just about any other species.

idk if any other race in star wars is even close to their population. maybe twi'leks, due to the galactic slave trade.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    while there's a lot of other species in the universe, humans are by far the most populous. there's multitudes of planets whose sole populace is human or near-human.

so it makes sense there's more prominent human jedi than just about any other species.

idk if any other race in star wars is even close to their population. maybe twi'leks, due to the galactic slave trade.
    I don't know how true that is. But I'm not a super star-wars statistic nerd either. If you've got a source I'd love to read it.

But even so, I look at the jedi council before Order 66, using this video and this video as reference. I see only 9 Masters on the jedi council, not counting Anakin since he's the chosen one and an exception, not the rule. Only Obi Wan and Mace Windu are human. Everyone else is an "alien"(if that term even applies in star wars). It would seem that the diversity of Jedi Masters is pretty broad at that level. Every other Master or Knight shown being killed by Order 66 is a non-human.

I did a quick google search, and apparently people have tried making some fairly scientific guesses at the actual populations in the Star Wars universe. Unfortunately there's no real way to know, since even when adding up the ratios of all named characters on wookiepedia and extrapolating from there, they had a flawed result due to the tiny sample size:

"The problem with relying on Wookieepedia for our data is suddenly all too clear: We know that humans are the dominant sentient species in the galaxy; we know that there are at least 100,000,000,000,000,000 sentient beings in the galaxy, and a large portion of these must be humans; yet our figures list only 9,467 humans, less than one billionth of one percent of the total population."

But even if we assume that humans make up such a large percentage of the galaxy, that doesn't necessarily mean that Force Sensitive Humans match that ratio. If we use the Jedi Council as a measure, it would only be 20% or so. And it still doesn't explain why so many jedi are somehow "white" male humans. :/

Anyway, I'm sure someone WAY more invested in Star Wars than me could probably come up with more accurate figures. And when you really get down to it, I think a better explanation for why so many jedi are Human is because it requires less costuming. But in a videogame that doesn't really apply. They really could have done just about anything, but they went with the most boring, average, uninteresting choice.

Meh, I say. MEH!

;D
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-04-24 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I don't know how true that is. But I'm not a super star-wars statistic nerd either. If you've got a source I'd love to read it.
    well, we only really need to go off of known planets in lore that are considered human worlds.

alderaan, coruscant, corellia, concord dawn, balmorra(seems to mostly be human, but there's a very high population of twi'leks), ord mantell, mandalore(vast majority human), naboo, and the list goes on.

no other species seems to be spread so far. then you get into near-humans, which in general are descended from humans, increasing that to even more ridiculous levels.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The new Jedi kids looks so hellishly generic. Gameplay looks good though, some of the movies seem pretty brutal.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    The video looked alright until he started slowly clambering over the red lattices about halfway through..... and then my eyes rolled out of my goddamn head. It's like platforming in action games has been stuck in place since 2007.
    "Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint." - Alexander Hamilton

10+ Year Old Account
    AI seems like idk... Weird?

7+ Year Old Account
    Game play looks ok i guess but a jedi running around killing imps? I think I'v played that game about 100 times before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The new Jedi kids looks so hellishly generic. Gameplay looks good though, some of the movies seem pretty brutal.
    It doesnt fell like real gameplay to me for some reason. Its like watching a cinematic. Maybe it would look different if it was played by some other person.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    AI seems like idk... Weird?
    Pretty stupid. Stormtropper would run away, not just stand still.

For comparison:

Ah yes, the time honored jedi power of slowing down time.

Wait...

I could understand if it were just bullet time or some shit to represent heightened jedi senses but the PC is freezing/slowing enemies and environmental objects. What the hell?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    It doesnt fell like real gameplay to me for some reason. Its like watching a cinematic. Maybe it would look different if it was played by some other person.
    I don't know at one point the black storm trooper got stuck on a body so it looked pretty real even with pathing errors.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Ah yes, the time honored jedi power of slowing down time.

Wait...

I could understand if it were just bullet time or some shit to represent heightened jedi senses but the PC is freezing/slowing enemies and environmental objects. What the hell?
    if they can grab someone and throw them around with the force, they should be able to put them in a force "stasis", like in swtor. maybe this is just this game's version of that.

though this guy's power seems to be far beyond that of a padawon.

anyway, gameplay looked great to me. i need to buy this, this deserves support.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if they can grab someone and throw them around with the force, they should be able to put them in a force "stasis", like in swtor. maybe this is just this game's version of that.

though this guy's power seems to be far beyond that of a padawon.

anyway, gameplay looked great to me. i need to buy this, this deserves support.
    Respawn can write, and make great game-play they struggle with net-code and support though.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Wallrunning now? Hello Force powered up Prince of Persia.

But seriously, can't they get someone for the gameplay videos who at least can do better on the controller? The sluggishness really annoyed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post

But seriously, can't they get someone for the gameplay videos who at least can do better on the controller? The sluggishness really annoyed me.
    Meh parkour should of always been a thing in star wars. So ill give it a pass.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

The game has good visuals but the gameplay didn't *look* too amazing, in fact even a bit generically dull. It might be another thing when playing it though. But its a story driven single player game so all eggs aren't in the game play basket anyway.

Was there any RPG aspects shown or just killing things? I wanted a KOTOR kind of deal. Already disappointed that you can't make your own character.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post

why don't you apply to that position then if it annoys you so?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they reveal some character spotlight videos, the main character seems very bland...

Everything else about the video looks cool though
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance