Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Capitalist View Post
    if the government simply stop enforcing them then at a more local level it would be enforced by communities if they believe in those rights or people would protest demanding it be enforced
    In countries like Vietnam, like this thread is about, they could go to prison if the government doesn't like their protests. They don't have a right to protest, because the government doesn't enforce any right to protest.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-06-08 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    In countries like Vietnam, like this thread is about, they could go to prison if the government doesn't like their protests. They don't have a right to protest, because the government doesn't enforce any right to protest.
    And if that protest has enough popular support the government wouldnt be able to do much about it. You are acting as if autoritarian governments havent been beaten before or taken out of power. Plenty of examples of dictators and military juntas being kicked out in countries like Colombia, Peru, Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Capitalist View Post
    And if that protest has enough popular support the government wouldnt be able to do much about it. You are acting as if autoritarian governments havent been beaten before or taken out of power. Plenty of examples of dictators and military juntas being kicked out in countries like Colombia, Peru, Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, etc
    Wishful thinking if you think Vietnam is anything like those countries.

And as we can see, Vietnam is still backwards autocratic state. What a surprise... Still, relics of past like this won't stay forever.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    In America we have a few laws that can't be tampered with. Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are two such rights.
    you can change everything

HAHA Imagine if you were some shitty country that loss a war to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    There is no such thing. All laws can be changed, including your constitution.

You're not wrong, but it's so extremely difficult to change the Constitution it's nearly impossible.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're not wrong, but it's so extremely difficult to change the Constitution it's nearly impossible.
    Yep. Some seem to think it is as simple as changing a jay walking law. I for one, am glad they made it hard.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post
    PrIvAtE CoMpAnY

they can give away the information of their users to the local authority if they want to, hell they can sell it as well, you agreed to their ToS and therefore can't moan

Violated the law, go to prison.
    Point of order: Facebook didn't give his information to local authorities. He made posts on Facebook that the local authorities saw. It has nothing to do with their TOS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    They are one and the same. Free speech doesn't only apply to people and ideas you find acceptable but to all.
    They are very different

One is a person getting arrested for his speech by the government.

The other is some assholes getting kicked off of youtube for violating youtube's terms of service.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you take your rights, like the right of assembly and protest, for granted?
    Most do when their political party makes it about patriotism. Look at how many Americans wanted athletes who kneel during the anthem fired, so easy for it to snowball into others industries.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Makes me laugh at the folks who cry "free speech" when they get deplatformed for hate speech.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Id wager that most people in 1st world nations take a LOT of their rights for granted.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Hate speech is free speech in the US.
    I never said it wasn't. I said I laugh at the people who conflate free speech and speech without consequences.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    For those in the cheap seats, this is what an attack on free speech looks like.

Not racist fucknuts being banned from Youtube.
    So the level of punishment dictates what is and is not an an attack on free speech?

So, If I try to speak and they shoot me, that is an attack, but If they just threaten me it might be ok? Does the the attack have to come from the government? Can I get a few brown-shirted friends and make it plain that someone needs to shut up or else. Maybe I can bribe the power company to cut people off, if they don't shut up, or maybe have the phone company to disconnect their service. I might also tell banks that they'd better not do business with people or they might regret it.

All of this is violations of free speech. Where is your line? It seems rather arbitrary and mostly directed towards to people you disagree with.

the same people that defend youtube bans are the same people that call this fascism,how are they not the same

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    the same people that defend youtube bans are the same people that call this fascism,how are they not the same
    You really don't see any difference between Youtube removing someone from their service, and a government putting someone in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    That's worth less than the coin on my table in reality.
    That is easy to say when you live in Sweden though, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciborg View Post
    You really don't see any difference between Youtube removing someone from their service, and a government putting someone in prison?
    It's the same principle

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    You think referring to the human rights charter would do much to help you in Thailand if the government decides to fuck with you?
    Maybe not so much. But countries that are in need of investents and tourism from countries that do care, actually have to at least try to follow thoes guidelines.
    I do try to not piss of the locol goverment in the country where I live though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    It's the same principle
    No, no it's really not. Forcing youtube to upload content they don't want to would be about as bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Maybe not so much. But countries that are in need of investents and tourism from countries that do care, actually have to at least try to follow thoes guidelines.
    I do try to not piss of the locol goverment in the country where I live though.

- - - Updated - - -

No, no it's really not. Forcing youtube to upload content they don't want to would be about as bad though.
    It's authoritarianism ,those things happen all the time and in countries like China or turkey