Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I am sure some would. But we need to not overact when people are simply exercising their Constitutional rights. If she ( or her bf ) really wanted to do something stupid like shoot the place up, she would have more reasons now just because of revenge. I am not saying they should have ignored the post they made. It does raise a red flag. But I think they overacted.
    This is a college there is no violation here, they can ban you for a number of reasons she is not owed anything. It's their fault for being idiots and posting that kind of stuff on social media actions have consequences.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    This is a college there is no violation here, they can ban you for a number of reasons she is not owed anything. It's their fault for being idiots and posting that kind of stuff on social media actions have consequences.
    We shall see. Is it a private college or a public one?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

We shall see. Is it a private college or a public one?
    It looks like a private college with the term technical even if it is public they have rules for the safety of their students. In 2019 that kind of post on social media is going to raise alarms better safe than sorry. Again I commend the college for putting the safety of their students above everything else, if this was an incoming incident they would have saved countless lives. It's good to know they are being vigilant and monitoring for things like this on social media.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like a private college with the term technical even if it is public they have rules for the safety of their students. In 2019 that kind of post on social media is going to raise alarms better safe than sorry. Again I commend the college for putting the safety of their students above everything else, if this was an incoming incident they would have saved countless lives. It's good to know they are being vigilant and monitoring for things like this on social media.
    Being private does make a difference. And sure, public one have rules too. But they can not be as restrictive as a private one can be. Like I said, we shall see what happens. Being a private college, they may win the case.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Being private does make a difference. And sure, public one have rules too. But they can not be as restrictive as a private one can be. Like I said, we shall see what happens. Being a private college, they may win the case.
    It actually does not just like you cannot bring your gun into the capital building just because it is the government public colleges rules override your constitutional right to bear arms. If you think public property means all your rights should be protected feel free to sue the white house for not allowing you to bring your guns in.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually does not just like you cannot bring your gun into the capital building just because it is the government public colleges rules override your constitutional right to bear arms. If you think public property means all your rights should be protected feel free to sue the white house for not allowing you to bring your guns in.
    It certainly does. Private schools can mandate uniforms and other restrictions not available to public schools. And yes, even with Constitutional rights, there are reasonable restrictions. Like a person who owns a private business, doctors, mechanics, have the right to restrict you from taking your firearm into their premises. Court houses also. But if I want to go for a walk down a public road, in the state of Ohio at least, I have the right to carry a firearm on my person. But if it is a private road access...then the same right does not apply.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/di...cid=spartanntp

I'd seen a mention of the "sound suppressor" in the stories about the virginia shooting, but didn't really see anything detailing it to be sure what the guy had. Sound suppressor is the technical term, though the legal term is "silencer" for the federal controls (NFA) involved.

As someone who has a couple 45 suppressors, they are LOUD, my GhostM is 136db vs 162db without it. It sort of surprises me that they aren't making a bigger deal about it though, given this is the first time I've heard of a silencer actually being used in a criminal shooting.

The article seems fairly balanced I think, views from both sides, though it is amusing that a former ATF agent is "Senior Policy Advisor" for an anti-gun group.

As I said though, details have been pretty slim so far. I'm not sure if it was even a legal silencer, given what can be used as a silencer. (Won't bother with ebay links...)
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/di...cid=spartanntp

I'd seen a mention of the "sound suppressor" in the stories about the virginia shooting, but didn't really see anything detailing it to be sure what the guy had. Sound suppressor is the technical term, though the legal term is "silencer" for the federal controls (NFA) involved.

As someone who has a couple 45 suppressors, they are LOUD, my GhostM is 136db vs 162db without it. It sort of surprises me that they aren't making a bigger deal about it though, given this is the first time I've heard of a silencer actually being used in a criminal shooting.

The article seems fairly balanced I think, views from both sides, though it is amusing that a former ATF agent is "Senior Policy Advisor" for an anti-gun group.

As I said though, details have been pretty slim so far. I'm not sure if it was even a legal silencer, given what can be used as a silencer. (Won't bother with ebay links...)
    So I would assume he had the silencers legally. As I have not heard he was using any weapon he had not obtained legally. In getting the federal stamp, he passed the background check. So there was nothing in his past records which would have indicated he was a threat to anyone. Sometimes there is just no warning signs.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one yet has created a thread about this breaking news story and since they usually turn into a gun control debate, I felt this was the proper place to post it.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/victim...tralia-shotgun

At least four people are dead and two more are injured after a lone gunman opened fire Tuesday night in a suburb just outside of Darwin, Australia, police said.

Northern Territory Police Duty Superintendent Lee Morgan confirmed that at least four people were killed when an unidentified 45-year-old man opened fire throughout the city using a pump-action shotgun, news.com.au reported.

At least two more people suffered gunshot wounds.

Shotguns can kill a lot of people also under the right conditions. No details yet on the motive or if he had his shotgun legally.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-04 at 01:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Silencers are now a concern with the Democrats? You would think they would be supportive of a add on for a weapon which makes it safer for a gun owner.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/john...ch-suppressors

Despite what you might believe from watchin*g television shows or movies, suppressors (commonly known as “silencers”) do not make guns “silent” — unless you consider an ambulance siren or a jackhammer to be silent.

However, as soon as it was clear that the Virginia Beach killer used a noise suppressor on one of his guns last Friday when he killed 12 people, Democrats called for suppressors to be banned. Virginia’s Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam called for a special legislative session to pass a ban.

"Witnesses might not hear. Police will be less likely to track down the shooter," said Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., in calling for such a ban. She is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination and advocating stricter gun control measures.

By early 2017, about 1.3 million Americans had registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF) to own a suppressor. For this, the government charges a $200 fee.

These legal owners have been extremely law abiding. In the 10 years from 2008 through 2017, the BATF only recommended an average of 44 suppressor-related prosecutions per year. This means that roughly .003 percent of "silencers" are used in crimes each year.

There is also a good video with this article showing a interview with a Parkland victim's father.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-07 at 03:17 PM.

The "44 per year" is also most likely arrests for having an illegal silencer, rather than using one in a crime. It is far easier to build an illegal silencer than it is to purchase a legal one. Silencers were put on the NFA in 1934 because of depression era poaching, not because of violent crime.

The entire discussion irritates me to no end. Having to defend why something should be legal. Fighting an uphill battle, when the government should need to prove that a right must be limited because of the impact on society. Legally owned silencers have no impact on crime rates, restricting them just shows how dishonest the entire movement is.

Hell, even the Virginia shooter apparently had one suppressor for 2 guns. Since he wasn't switching back and forth (unless he was wearing oven mitts and they were not mentioned) any of these comments about folks not knowing it was gunfire is a bit off. Most folks can't recognize gunfire anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "44 per year" is also most likely arrests for having an illegal silencer, rather than using one in a crime. It is far easier to build an illegal silencer than it is to purchase a legal one. Silencers were put on the NFA in 1934 because of depression era poaching, not because of violent crime.

The entire discussion irritates me to no end. Having to defend why something should be legal. Fighting an uphill battle, when the government should need to prove that a right must be limited because of the impact on society. Legally owned silencers have no impact on crime rates, restricting them just shows how dishonest the entire movement is.

Hell, even the Virginia shooter apparently had one suppressor for 2 guns. Since he wasn't switching back and forth (unless he was wearing oven mitts and they were not mentioned) any of these comments about folks not knowing it was gunfire is a bit off. Most folks can't recognize gunfire anyway.
    Could be. They never said if they were legally or illegally obtained.

Yep. If one was to light a fire cracker in a neighborhood, some would confuse it with a shot being fired from a gun. I have got to the point, I can tell if my neighbors are practicing with their AR-15's or a handgun. And come close to guessing the caliber.

The interview of the father of one of the victims in the Parkland shooting, said the biggest problem is these mass shooters pick what they feel are soft targets, in other words, gun free zones or places they feel confident the victims will not shoot back.

Silencers are now a concern with the Democrats? You would think they would be supportive of a add on for a weapon which makes it safer for a gun owner.
    Anything that can be demagogued to the least common denominator intellects is of concern. Getting one concession, one win, anywhere, is all they care about, because then they can reset the imaginary "middle" and demand more "compromise".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Anything that can be demagogued to the least common denominator intellects is of concern. Getting one concession, one win, anywhere, is all they care about, because then they can reset the imaginary "middle" and demand more "compromise".
    Good point.

- - - Updated - - -

Another example of the second amendment right in action...https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-h...otign-intruder

A Georgia homeowner who fatally shot a man caught breaking into his home will not be charged, according to a report.

“People have the right to defend themselves,” Maj. Anthony Thuman of the Clayton County Police Department said.

The homeowner, who lives near Jonesboro, was awakened by a loud banging at his door, Atlanta's FOX 5 reported. The intruder had broken a window and came inside, he said.

The homeowner grabbed his rifle and fired at the intruder, who was at the top of the stairs.
    The suspect later died at a hospital.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-08 at 12:25 PM.

Could be. They never said if they were legally or illegally obtained.
    Sometimes these cases just don't get the details, and it might be a state/ freedom-of-info thing. Florida is well known for nearly everything being public info.

So aside from not really showing the picture of the guy, the info about the two handguns hasn't come out yet. There's also been nearly no info about what the "sound suppressor" was. "Legally bought" means it was probably purchased legally as a silencer, but could mean other things too.

- - - Updated - - -

https://freebeacon.com/uncategorized...ntrol-session/

The gun-control package also includes a ban on silencers—devices that muffle the sound of gunshots to a degree but do not actually silence them. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives confirmed on Monday that a silencer was recovered at the scene of the Virginia Beach shooting alongside two .45 caliber handguns. Michael Boyer, an ATF spokesperson, told the Washington Free Beacon the handguns were traced back to purchases made by the shooter but said the agency could not release any information related to the ownership of the silencer.

"We are not able to disclose to the public, or even to the local police department, whether the silencer has been registered or has not been registered or was lawfully possessed or was not lawfully possessed," Boyer told the Free Beacon. "There's no exception written into the statute that would allow disclosure even if the individual is deceased."

Boyer explained this was due to the fact that the National Firearms Act, which heavily regulates silencers, machineguns, and some other firearms, falls under federal tax law and the registration records contained within it are protected from public disclosure the same way other tax documents, like tax returns, are protected. Boyer said he did not know if the silencer recovered in Virginia Beach was homemade.
    I do recall a tweet by VA police saying it was "bought legally", and ATF doesn't say it's not registered, but he may have "legally purchased" a oil-filter adapter or a solvent trap off ebay or something. If it wasn't registered, they'd probably be able to say "illegal" vs no comment if it is registered, but still would be nice to have more details.
    Last edited by Svifnymr; 2019-06-08 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes these cases just don't get the details, and it might be a state/ freedom-of-info thing. Florida is well known for nearly everything being public info.

So aside from not really showing the picture of the guy, the info about the two handguns hasn't come out yet. There's also been nearly no info about what the "sound suppressor" was. "Legally bought" means it was probably purchased legally as a silencer, but could mean other things too.

- - - Updated - - -

https://freebeacon.com/uncategorized...ntrol-session/

I do recall a tweet by VA police saying it was "bought legally", and ATF doesn't say it's not registered, but he may have "legally purchased" a oil-filter adapter or a solvent trap off ebay or something. If it wasn't registered, they'd probably be able to say "illegal" vs no comment if it is registered, but still would be nice to have more details.
    He used two .45 caliber handguns, with high capacity magazines is what I read. Now what is high capacity magazines? 12 rounds, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17? Considering my little .380 only has a 7 round magazine, a 8 round one could mean high capacity. The media likes to play with words. I am assuming, to fit that description the laws in some states specify, it is any magazine capable of 11 rounds or more.

He used two .45 caliber handguns, with high capacity magazines is what I read. Now what is high capacity magazines? 12 rounds, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17? Considering my little .380 only has a 7 round magazine, a 8 round one could mean high capacity. The media likes to play with words. I am assuming, to fit that description the laws in some states specify, it is any magazine capable of 11 rounds or more.
    They said "extended" magazines at various points. For a 1911, basic is 7 or 8, extended mags are like 10. A Glock 45 is 13, but they make some extensions that are like +5's I think. My M&P45 is 10 base, 13 extended. I am curious what size magazines he actually had, but it's a 45 so there's generally not much more than 10 rounds in a magazine anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    They said "extended" magazines at various points. For a 1911, basic is 7 or 8, extended mags are like 10. A Glock 45 is 13, but they make some extensions that are like +5's I think. My M&P45 is 10 base, 13 extended. I am curious what size magazines he actually had, but it's a 45 so there's generally not much more than 10 rounds in a magazine anyway.
    Good points. But one article I read, did refer to them as high capacity magazines. Another media political statement? No actual size number was used that I am aware of. Witness did say, he was shooting and reloading.

Good points. But one article I read, did refer to them as high capacity magazines. Another media political statement? No actual size number was used that I am aware of. Witness did say, he was shooting and reloading.
    But you're a pussy who wouldn't even go into a fist fight without your precious gun, what a fucking coward,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    But you're a pussy who wouldn't even go into a fist fight without your precious gun, what a fucking coward,
    Great. Another one to add to my ignore list. lol! Use it right and the ignore feature works well.

I have been in fist fights, but would rather avoid them if possible. Got hit once with some brass knuckles. At my age, a handgun is a better option than taking a chance of getting injured from a younger, stronger opponent. And since I live in the US, I have the option to use a great equalizer for the weak, elderly or handicapped.